Clay Guida.

liddellfan3

I respect Clay Guida as a strong LW wrestler. However, as an exciting MMA practioner, I give him low marks. I certainly hope the UFC puts Guida's fights on the "may not be broadcast" undercard, do to the likelyness of him winning a 3 round decision without throwing any effective strikes or submission attempts. Winning an MMA match by wrestling control alone is bottom barrell MMA, IMO. For the love of "Mixed" martial arts I would respect Clay more if he would throw some arm bars, strikes, or even just attempt to pass guard once in a while. IMO he is one of the most boring fighters to watch. And, is it just me or does he use his long hair to drape into the eyes of his opponents when he is controlling them with his body locks? lol. Get a haircut, it's annoying to see your opponents eating your hair, when you smother them with defensive body locks for three consecutive boring rounds.

exciting fighter, but relies heavily on his wrestling (which is fine), but he needs to vary it up with jujitsu and some ground and pound.......all he does is try to controll form the bottom if the fight were on th ground.....

standup needs to be spiffed up some more

I think most fighters have had super-exciting fights and not-so-exciting ones. It really does depend on the compitition. And don't forget how crafty Nate is on the ground.... Guida couldn't risk making even a small mistake. wasn't the prettiest fight, but Clay controlled him ... Nate could not escape and impose his will. If Clay wasn't such a good wrestler, Nate would tool him methinks.

I agree with Hizoka -- Clay was trying not to loose in that one.

and maybe you can't blame him after a couple close losses.

I totally agree with 1fan4fun' date=' couldn't have said it better. What's Clay's new motto these days "that may have been ugly but it's a W".[/quote']

as opposed to....i'm gonna go in there try things i'm not really good at yet, loose, get paid less money, and possibly get booted out of the UFC and not have a job????? You can't blame the guy for having the "W" be his main objective...i still think he's exciting but has a long way to go with different aspects of mma..i'll be patient with him..just my opinion.

I think most fighters have had super-exciting fights and not-so-exciting ones. It really does depend on the compitition. And don't forget how crafty Nate is on the ground.... Guida couldn't risk making even a small mistake. wasn't the prettiest fight' date=' but Clay controlled him ... Nate could not escape and impose his will. If Clay wasn't such a good wrestler, Nate would tool him methinks.

I agree with Hizoka -- Clay was trying not to loose in that one.

and maybe you can't blame him after a couple close losses.[/quote']

IMO holding someone still does not win you a fight... but that comes down to the judging system being terrible...

yes, it's prolly in many fighters minds that if they loose another one, they could be out of the UFC.

the compitition's too thick ... especially at lightwieght.

I think we've seen enough of Clay Guida to know that any fight he's in has the potential of being "fight of the night". And we know that he's IN every fight - no one has run through him ... lately at least.

I guess I'm a fan ... I'll watch any fight he's in for sure.

yes' date=' it's prolly in many fighters minds that if they loose another one, they could be out of the UFC.

the compitition's too thick ... especially at lightwieght.

I think we've seen enough of Clay Guida to know that any fight he's in has the potential of being "fight of the night". And we know that he's IN every fight - no one has run through him ... lately at least.

I guess I'm a fan ... I'll watch any fight he's in for sure.[/quote']

no-one can run though him cause hes to busy just holding on to you

ya' date=' I don't think "octagon control" shud win you a fight either. And more frequent stand-ups would be good in general to all fights.[/quote']

i agree... standing over a guy who is fighting you from is back is also not controlling him in all cases

no-one can run though him cause hes to busy just holding on to you

what other fights has he imposed that strategy? I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 of his fights, and they've mostly been great. has he done it alot in his career? ... i don't know.

he's had 34 fights ...

11 have gone to decision -- he won 8 of those

he only has 4 knockouts, but he does have 12 sub victories.

I wouldn't call him a wet-blanket just yet. although, fights going to decision seem to be the trend with him lately. hopefully he'll bust out of the rutt.

Eh, guy's not the most entertaining fighter but whatever, in the end this is MMA not WWF. You're gonna have boring **** fighters, that's how it is. The beauty of this sport is that you don't have 1 certain way of fighting. Some will appeal to others and some won't that's just how it is. People use to hate on Sherk for his style too but i always found it very fun to watch, extremely technical, always improving his position before letting loose some shots. Do what ya gotta do to win, if you win you move up. His style might not appeal to everyone who likes to watch someone like Wanderlei go at it, but oh well...if it works it works, again it's a sport, this is Mixed Martial Arts, not pro wrestling.

Eh' date=' guy's not the most entertaining fighter but whatever, in the end this is MMA not WWF. You're gonna have boring **** fighters, that's how it is. The beauty of this sport is that you don't have 1 certain way of fighting. Some will appeal to others and some won't that's just how it is. People use to hate on Sherk for his style too but i always found it very fun to watch, extremely technical, always improving his position before letting loose some shots. Do what ya gotta do to win, if you win you move up. His style might not appeal to everyone who likes to watch someone like Wanderlei go at it, but oh well...if it works it works, again it's a sport, this is Mixed Martial Arts, not pro wrestling.[/quote']

Good points, I agree 100%

Kudos :)

its a spectators sport at the end of the day ive seen clips of dana tellin his fighters whoever gets a knockout will get a bonus rah rah rah. ppl wanna see two ppl kicking the **** outa eashother and its his job to give them it so it must put alot of pressure on fighters who hav gotta feed there kids pay off huge deats bleh bleh bleh to go in there and just brawl instead of showing there real skill,im not sayin clays one of them ppl but hes been around quite sumtime now and im sure hes got more talent then he shows.

Archived