Sign in to follow this  
Danjo

Who is the best TUF coach so far? (all time)

Simple premise here. Who do you think has been the best TUF coach thus far?

My vote goes to Tito Ortiz.

The guy got in there and worked with his boys. He showed them tricks and techniques that he had learned over the years through his own experiences. He sweated with them. He treated them like he cared about them. Hell, they were ready to go toe to toe with Shamrock for him when the coaches got into an argument in the gym. He earned their respect through hard work and caring, and gave all he had to make sure that they succeeded.

Not to mention that he had a sense of humor and was well spoken. Tito was a great communicator on the show. He was an engaging and active teacher, and kept people interested when he was talking. He also trained the hell out of those boys. Most of his crew by seasons end stated how their cardio had improved so much while under him.

Overall, I think Tito was just a phenominal coach.

What are your thoughts?

The guy got in there and worked with his boys. He showed them tricks and techniques that he had learned over the years through his own experiences. He sweated with them. He treated them like he cared about them. Hell' date=' they were ready to go toe to toe with Shamrock for him when the coaches got into an argument in the gym. He earned their respect through hard work and caring, and gave all he had to make sure that they succeeded.

Not to mention that he had a sense of humor and was well spoken. Tito was a great communicator on the show. He was an engaging and active teacher, and kept people interested when he was talking. He also trained the hell out of those boys. Most of his crew by seasons end stated how their cardio had improved so much while under him.

What are your thoughts?[/quote']

Bisbing by a mile LOL ! For all these reasons , he doesn't turn up for his teams fight's , talk's trash alot oh and he also is fun as he likes water fights ;) !

I agree with the OP but think there are alot more who were equally behind there fighters , even though i am not a fan of Tito , and i am a fan of Bisbing .

The guy got in there and worked with his boys. He showed them tricks and techniques that he had learned over the years through his own experiences. He sweated with them. He treated them like he cared about them. Hell' date=' they were ready to go toe to toe with Shamrock for him when the coaches got into an argument in the gym. He earned their respect through hard work and caring, and gave all he had to make sure that they succeeded.

Totally agree, I changed my opinion of Tito after watching TUF 3. I also really like Matt Serra as a coach and while I know he polarises people, he really is someone you'd be lucky to have in your corner.

Shamrock and Rampage tie for me as the worst coaches, although at least Rampage had a genuine interest in his team.

Totally agree' date=' I changed my opinion of Tito after watching TUF 3. I also really like Matt Serra as a coach and while I know he polarises people, he really is someone you'd be lucky to have in your corner.

Shamrock and Rampage tie for me as the worst coaches, although at least Rampage had a genuine interest in his team.[/quote']

I always kinda hated Tito......Until TUF, then he became one of the guys I really looked forward to watching. It really showcased his knowledge of the sport and how to train to win. He was the best coach IMO thus far.

I always kinda hated Tito......Until TUF' date=' then he became one of the guys I really looked forward to watching. It really showcased his knowledge of the sport and how to train to win. He was the best coach IMO thus far.[/quote']

agree. I'm not a big fan of Tito but his coaching skills and interaction with the fighters was top shelf in my book.

Tito by far!!

Didnt Kendal join him at team punishment after the show had finished?

Yes...so many parties...not much training. :P

I would have to say Tito as well....and I would have to say that I felt Shamrock was the worst...he showed a general disinterest in his team and was more there to try to start fights with Tito.

Before that episode I liked Shamrock a lot more than Tito...by the end it was the exact opposite for me.

Even though I do not care for Jens Pulver (season 5, lightweights), he's my choice for best coach so far. He was both coach and friend to his team, very fair and compassionate but tough when he needed to be. Runner up would have to be Matt Serra (season 6, welterweights) - he was loudmouthed and ****y but he did an excellent job training and cornering his guys.

Coaching aside, Rampage was my favorite. Every episode had me cracking up laughing :)

Glad to see a few of you agree with me about Tito. Say what you want about the guy, but he was a class act on TUF 3 as a coach. i think he has a future in training/running gyms if he wants it.

By contrast, I think TUF 3 had the worst all time coach in Shamrock. The guy has built a career off of a me-me-and-me mentality, and his coaching was no different. Self absorbed, out of touch, and just disinterested in what was at stake for the young men in his care.

I would have to say Tito as well....and I would have to say that I felt Shamrock was the worst...he showed a general disinterest in his team and was more there to try to start fights with Tito.

Before that episode I liked Shamrock a lot more than Tito...by the end it was the exact opposite for me.

Tito was the best coach IMO, he really had his guys prepared every fight. Shamrock was the worst but I always got a laugh out of him. Whenever one of his fighters asked him a question or had a difference of opinion, Shamrock would begin his response with "I've been fighting for twenty years and I know this and I know that..." And he would always be at high decibel. Lord he was funny. Reminded me of the past-their-prime football coaches who always think their way is the best way. Shamrock's guys were beat half to death before they stepped into the ring, because Shamrock overtrained them.

Ortiz impressed me with his coaching and even made me loathe him a little bit less than I normally do...for about 5 minutes. But I would have to say that if I were on the show who I would want coaching me would either be Nog or Rashad. They both seemed really dedicated to their fighters and worked hard at being a true leader.

Tito, Big Nog and Rashad.

Honorable mention to Forrest, he picked brilliant choices for assistant coaches (including Gray Maynard.) There were many moments when his assistant coaches' words of wisdom in the corner got them the win. CB Dolloway definitely would have choked out Amir Sadollah if they hadn't guided him out for example.

Tito' date=' Big Nog and Rashad.

Honorable mention to Forrest, he picked brilliant choices for assistant coaches (including Gray Maynard.) There were many moments when his assistant coaches' words of wisdom in the corner got them the win. CB Dolloway definitely would have choked out Amir Sadollah if they hadn't guided him out for example.[/quote']

Quoted For Brandon Vera

Glad to see a few of you agree with me about Tito. Say what you want about the guy' date=' but he was a class act on TUF 3 as a coach. i think he has a future in training/running gyms if he wants it.

By contrast, I think TUF 3 had the worst all time coach in Shamrock. The guy has built a career off of a me-me-and-me mentality, and his coaching was no different. Self absorbed, out of touch, and just disinterested in what was at stake for the young men in his care.[/quote']

You are right man- Tito was enthusiastic, treated his fighters with respect, and pissed off Shamrock with a sweet sense of humour- I also liked Matt Serra for the same reasons- he wasn;t afraid to boot pretty boys' ****- he could relate to his charges and seemed to genuinely enjoy coaching them- he just seemed like the kind of dude who would look you in the eye and tell it like it is- I didnt mind Frank Mir's style either though- I changed my opinion of him in that series with Noguiera... and Rashad definitely has inherited some of that Greg jackson style- that maust be a great camp up there- they have some serious hitters...

Worst coaches have to be Rampage (twice), Shamrock, and Matt Hughes- that bibkle thing made me wanna slap him- to each their own, but dude !! "You're god, right .?.."

Man it would be great to see Tito become that machine he once was in the ring- he used to destroy..

Pulver. His entire team loved him as a coach and a buddy. The atmosphere was great, and somehow he guided Manny Gamburyan to the finals, against Nate Diaz (also on Team Pulver).

Nogueira was also excellent. He was always at the house for his team, and his class and respect of the martial arts rubbed off on his team.

Rashad seems to be doing a good job too, this season.

I definetely vote for tito ortiz and rashad evans! These two fighters truely cared about their fighters succeeding. Not to mention rashad consoleing to rampages fighters after every fight they lost!!!! They are both good coaches!!!!!

Totally agree' date=' I changed my opinion of Tito after watching TUF 3. I also really like Matt Serra as a coach and while I know he polarises people, he really is someone you'd be lucky to have in your corner.

Shamrock and Rampage tie for me as the worst coaches, although at least [b']Rampage had a genuine interest in his team.

[/b]

and shamrock didn't? doesn't anyone remember the episode where shamrock was screaming and yelling at his guys to focus and get their head in it. Rampage is down 0-6 and he's still more worried about cracking jokes and making fun of team rashad. I do agree they were both crappy coaches, but IMO Shamrock edges out Page by a hair, literally a hair.

On topic, i'd say Tito, Nog, Rashad

Tito, Nogueira, Bisping, Rashad.

Serra was good until they had to send half his guys to Hughes and he refused to be in the corner against them, leaving the other guy with no one in the corner.

I agreed with Hughes that it was very unprofessional.

And I know all the Americans are going to bum rush this post about Bisping, just because he did it against Team America, and you hate him cuz he's a loud mouth Brit talking some crap about America, but there's no denying he did a great job, and his team all rallied around him.

Easily Forrest, he would've had the clean sweep if Rampage hadn't gotten lucky and picked the most naturally talented guy in the bunch with Dollaway. He ran those guys ragged until they were fighting machines!

Second would probably be Tito.

Honestly I think Serra was by far the best coach going 7-1 on season 4 by taking a leadership role (not a coaching position) and going 6-2 vs Hughes on season 6. He was def the most enthusiastic and caring about his team.

Second would be Tito he was also enthusiastic and actually got some of his fighters out of bad habbits ex. Kendell Grove and chewing. He cared about his team and he showed that.

Big Nog would be third for giving his team a reason to really care for MMA and tried to stop the pranks at the house.

Fourth in my opinion was Pulver. It showed on episode 1 of season five that over 50% of tyhe guys wanted nothing to do with Pulver by raising their hands to be on Penn's team. He took all of the guys that wanted to be on his team and turned them into winners. Well most of them. If you can account for all of the guys getting fights after the TUF finally it would be atleast 50% of his team and that's not including the ninth member he aquired during the season.

The last of my top five comes up to Bisping because he was able to come up w/ great game plans for not seeing Hendo's guys during the fights to get into the house. He put in the time to watch a lot of film during that season./

Honorable mention are Forrest, Rashad, Hendo, and Mir

Forrest and Rashad I would have ranked higher if their opposing coach didn't suck so much. They both put in a lot of time but Rampage doesn't care that much.

Hendo he was a good coach he just wasn't enthusiastic enough to have someone really grow as a fighter. In my opinion.

Mir was also good but he had animosity towards one of his fighters " Junie Browning" You need to be less biased as a coach.

Worst coaches Penn, Shamrock, Hughes, and Rampage

Penn for setting a bad example for the hand raising thing. Which was very unprofessional, and kicking a fighter off his team

Shamrock for not caring, and trying to rely on a fighter's raw talent and not expanding on their skills. I believe Herman could have left a way better fighter than he did. Not to pick on the guy.

Hughes wasn't that bad of a coach but we aren't here to expand religon. The fighters are here to fight do that in your own time. Go to a church or something. Also when he was losing a lot he would beat up his guys more than needed. Thats how injuries are caused.

Rampage! We all know why two seasons and not more than 3 wins in the first round we'll see how the final fight turns out. He just doesn't care get someone new in there.

Coaches I want to see...

GSP, Silva, Shogun, Machida, Florian, Sanchez, Marquardt, and one I spoke highly about, Swick, Guida, and any TUF champs except for Diaz and Amir and we all know why>

Tito or Evans

Ken is second, Rampage is by far first

Matt Serra not only because of TUF 6 but also TUF 4 a coachless season, where he took on the role showing a genuine interest and pride in mma.

Tito Ortiz close 2nd, however he may have looked even better considering his opposing coach...

You really cant take the first two seasons into account really its a different game now before the fighter had to do chalenges and stuff then fight then they realized that leaves no time for training so they changed the format to the tournament style then the coaches really shined you could see more of what was going on in the training and how the coaches reacted to thier fighters.

My picks are:

Dan Henderson

Tito Ortiz

Forrest Griffin

and Matt Hughes