Sign in to follow this  
xdusty

fighter paralyzed

good point xdusty. This is a tragic situation. Or at least for the mma fans of the world. I hope this kid and his family are doing ok. ill pray for em'. In every sport there are risks you take. Granted not every Kobe Bryant isn't getting punched in the face, choked out, or submitted by bending someones joint out of socket. But thats the risk you take depending on what sport you play in. If the public doesn't understand that it is plain ignorance. This is a unfortunate event and it sucks. But you gotta know what your getting yourself into. My thoughts and prayers go out to this guy and his family.

Have you read the post replies on that forum for that thread? Its amazing how stupid people are.

I read the comments, most people seemed to be saying the right thing, at least on the first page of comments. Injuries occur in many sports, this isn't the first time an athlete has been paralyzed while competing. Boxing and Football are two sports that have way more serious injuries then the UFC and MMA in general, if you want to ban or impose stricter rules on MMA then they should impose stricter rules on boxing and football as well, maybe even rugby and hockey also.

I?m actually very surprised to hear about this but glad you posted it. I am sorry to hear about Zach and wish him only the best during his recovery; but it?s a chance everyone in professional sports takes.

If anything can be learned from this I would say its how much UFC and all other MMA events put the safety of their fighters first. How often do you hear stuff like this in MMA events? Not often. I have never seen any better referees in any sport like I do in our sport. They jump, dive, even throw themselves into harms way to protect a fallen fighter. For the referees who don?t pride themselves on doing that for this sport I?m sorry.

Should this tragic event change the way the sport works or throw in any other precautions? I don?t see any reason. The MMA as a whole can pride itself as being such a conscientious organization of its members. I will bow myself to Zach tonight, and honor that a warrior has fallen.

kimi ga inakunaru to sabishikunaru yo

Our thoughts and prayers be with him. i guess he has gained some movement back after they put some of his hip bone in for a vertebrae. he has limited arm function but they still dont know if he will be able to walk again. Tough to see any fighter go down like that.

our prayers go to him and his family...

and a biig thanks to his family for not blaming the sport...that takes a big person(people)...especially nowadays...

its always been an issue of this sport being too brutal. but i give credit to dana white for taking things seriously, taking the proper precautions, and setting alot of rules in place that have turned mma into a legit sport rather then "human ****-fighting". however i cant help but think about the times ive seen that same thing happen before in the ufc. i remember grey manard knocked himself out once in the same situation. thankfully the results werent as bad.

It is a tragic shame, and I wish Zach all the best.

Surely some of the MMA haters will try and use this to slam it again, but it important to remember if you fin yourself in conversation with one that;

1) This was not the result of a kick/punch/elbow or any other strike that they beleive gets worse in MMA than any other combat sport.

2) This was not the result of a submission where someone ELSE broke his neck.

3) This was just a very very unfortunate accident where someone landed on their head. It could happen in any sport, and has (or similar) happened in many of the biggest sports in the world.

Again, thoughts to Zach and his family, and please don't let people use this incident for anything other than that.

I cant be doing with some of the cabbages who post on that forum someone should tell them that scubba diving has 800 deaths a year horse racing 450 deaths a year boxing 14 and MMA has 0 deaths in sanctioned fights scinse 1993.