Sign in to follow this  
Thechemicals

Machida Vs. Shogun

machida just about won all shogun done most of the time was throw low kicks and move back that shows no aggresion or skill and shows that he is just trying to survive better luck nxt tme shogun and hpe you come to fight

i just watched first round again machida dominated 1st

fight metric is definetly wrong

Why don't you tell them they're wrong? Somehow, a vast majority of us are wrong, and you're right and is better than the rest of us. You can email them about it and say "Machida should've won the first round!!!!1". And tell all the MMA journalists from reliable MMA websites and the fighters who watched that fight as well. lol j/k :)

Those "nice knees" were counted btw. Nothing 49 unanswered power leg kicks by Shogun couldn't make up for.

Funny' date=' I just watched the fight for the first time. I was expecting a bad decision after all the whining and crying going on around here.

Machida won 1, 2, 3. He won the fight. It was close, but he 100% left with the title, and it was the right decision.[/quote']

+1, i agree. watch the fight with the volume muted so you dont hear rogan get a ***** everytime shogun lands a kick and its a different point of view.

AjBIG and Kevbo, you misinterprit me. I didn't say he jedi mind tricked you, I simply was trying to state that they made it seem like Machida was a defenseless child against Rua, and for the many people who have no idea what they're watching go by what the commentators say to form their opinions. I'm not blind, I can see that Rua beat Machida in some rounds. But it's not as one-sided as everyone is making it out to be. Most of the rounds were very close, and unfortunately for rua were given to machida. Maybe if rua remembered that he had hands he would've won. Honestly i thought machida would destroy him, but i was proved wrong. I wasn't downing Shogun, or trying to make it seem like he's not as good as his hype because he is. Sorry for your incompitence and inability to see things from anyone's point of view but your own.

Hey retard. look at the post fight pics. Machida had at least 3 cuts on his lip and nose and Shogun was relatively spotless. Either way' date=' Machida was the guy who was merely surviving and it looked like Shogun could have gone 2-3 more rounds to settle it. the bottom line is that Shogun imposed his will on MAchida most of the fight and deserved the decision. Shogun won the last 2 rounds decisively, the other 3 were pretty close but you wouldnt think that MAchida would get all 3 of the questionable rounds by all 3 judges.[/quote']

Exactly. Personally I wanted Machida to win but not in this fashion. There were a few very close rounds that could've gone to either fighter but unfortunately for shogun, the judges gave them to machida. But just because he got cut doesn't mean he got completelt manhandled. BJ Penn for instance, rarely gets cut, even in UFC 94 when GSP dominated him he only had one tiny cut under his eye. You can hurt someone without cutting them

I'm glad to see that me and my friends weren't the only ones blown away by the ridiculousness of that decision last night. I've got nothing against Machida, and I'm also not really a fan of Shogun, but Rua was the clear winner. They both had their moments, but the majority of Lyoto's counter-shots and some of his normal strikes were blocked by Shogun and occasionally even countered by a good kick. Beyond that, Shogun was landing kick after kick without much of a response; there were only a few select moments in the fight where I thought he was clearly on the losing end of any of those exchanges.

Even in what a lot of people said was Lyoto's best moment, that flurry towards the end of round three, Shogun still blocked most of the shots and actually came back with a couple big shots that landed very well. I'll need to watch the fight again at some point, and really look into it, but while I could possibly see a close fight with 48-47 in favor of Shogun, there's just no way Machida was the winner of that fight.

Both of them deserve respect for the fight(it was an excellent chess-match, and the fact that so few people expected Shogun to even survive for whatever reason made it especially interesting to watch), but Mauricio Rua should be the light heavyweight champion right now. He was completely robbed. It'll be an interesting rematch I'm sure, but I'm worried that the incredibly good game-plan Shogun had was what led to him to do so phenomenally last night, and I'm not sure he'll be able to replicate that in a second match. It would be tragic to see him torn apart in a rematch trying to gain the belt that he should've had in the first place.

It was an impressive fight from both fighters, but the judges simply ruined everything.

Dana announced the traditional Fight of the Night; Knockout of the Night; and Submission of the Night bonuses. An extra $60,000 for each winner.

http://bumpyknuckle.com/2009/10/25/ufc-104-fighter-bonuses/

To Bad Anthony Johnson didnt make weight because he def would have been awarded the Knockout of the Night bonus but was not eligible. (Rightfully so, He looked twice the size of poor Yoshida)

1,2 to Machida no doubt, 3 was very close, 4,5 Shogun but in saying that every single round was very close with no clear winner, unanimous decision is a raw deal for a fighter like Shogun who obviously had a great gameplan and stuck to it but there will be another fight and guaranteed to be a different result.

I guess you gotta give props to Yoshida for taking the fight; might be regretting it now though (Although I believe he gets a good portion of Johnson's purse for not making weight if he takes it so...)

Machida did win the fight ' date='UFC announcers overlooked that when Shogun kicked machida in the body machida was punching him in the face at the same time. the ufc announcer didnt seem to notice machida landing those face shots since they only announced shoguns kicks. Punches to the face score higher than body kicks i would assume. watch fight again and you will see machida land some nice face punches.

dont move this thread unless someone already mentioned this[/quote']

+1 couldn't have said it better myself.

I agree 1 and 2 Machida, 3 was probably Machida too, 4 and 5 to Shogun, It was a close fight all the way through though, I dont see what all the crying is about this was one of the best fights in a long time and in my eyes the right man won. Shogun definately earned a rematch, it could have gone his way at the end of the day.

I feel bad for Machida though, he definately didnt deserve boo's, anybody who boo's him after a fight like that deserves to be stomped shogun style.

Join the Facebook group "Mauricio "Shogun" Rua beat Lyoto Machida at UFC 104"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=166349792820

20091024103855_big_report.JPG&width_size=570

This is what happens when Politics gets involved in fighting, that Rematch can't come soon enough and this time Shogun has to Knock his **** Out no one is going to Rob him then.

You know what the saddest thing about last night is that Everyone was writing off Shogun, and i knew in my Heart that he had the Talent to Unlock Machida, And with him being Champion it would be a Victory for Aggressive MMA as oppossed to this Defensive Shyt that Machida does.

It is my personal belief that if this fight were to be judged as a kickboxing match I would have said shogun won the fight, however it was an MMA match where you have to take several factors into account biggest all being that when you are the challenger to a belt you have to pretty much leave the judges no other option but to choose you as the winner! While I do believe that Shogun had the better of most of the exchanges ie setting up the leg kicks and staying in the pocket, he didn't bring enough heat to ever REALLY put Machida in any more danger than Machida put Rua in at given points of the fight. When you are the challenger and a fight is that close you really have to pull out the victory pretty hardcore in order to get the W.

So I guess my point is Rua did an amazing job at getting Machida out of his comfort zone, he didn't do enough to finish the fight or put Lyoto in enough danger to pull off the upset.

I guess I'm going to have to go against Joe Rogan and Goldberg and pretty much everybody else. I think if Rogan and Goldberg watched the fight on tape they would have a different opinion and would be ashamed of their commentary. And it sounds like most of you were influenced by their comments. It was like they were watching the fight from the waist down. Machida would hit Rua in the face and they would scream what a good kick by Rua. It was definitely a close fight and could have gone either way, but I'm going with the judges and Machida. I have also lost a lot of respect for Rogan and Goldberg. That was pretty bush commentary and I have gained a lot of respect for Rua. That was a good fight and the commentators really detracted from it. Do it again!

Boo's were in order. Everyone there watched the fight and made the decision on who won. It was obvious. Machida no longer will be recognized as the champion by the fans and spectators that were present other than the 3 paid off judges. Oh yeah, I was rooting for Machida for the win, but he clearly got beat.

First off Shogun didn't win the fight just because he was the more aggressive fighter he won because he was the more aggressive fighter to land the most and do the most damage. Machida was doing like he always does early in the rounds by getting Shoguns timing down so he could counter with the left as Shogun started his kicks but Shogun always had his hands up and blocked 90% of Machidas punches.

I have been a Machida fan for a while now and new that he was on his way to the top and predicted that he would beat Rashad fairly easy. I also had a feeling that Shogun was getting back to the top of his game and would be a very tough match up for Machida. Now that being said I would have liked Machida to have a victory over Shogun like the rest of his fights but in this fight he clearly lost the fight.

To me it sounds like you are one of those fans that thinks your guys wins the fight no matter how it turns out and really didn't watch the fight in its entirety. Shogun won this fight hands down and the whole world that watched knows it. Like I said I have always been a Machida fan but feel bad for Shogun putting in all of his training and studies for this fight to only be robbed of the win.

Now as far as the premature stoppage of the rothwell goes. If you watched the fight again you will notice that between rounds the ref went over to rothwell and told him if he the fight continued like it was that he was going to stop it so thats what he did. Rothwell was being beat to the point that if the fight continued much longer that he could have serious injuries. The fight may have been stopped a bit early but I think it was really beside the point and I think we all know how it would have ended it the ref didnt stop it..

As far as your quote (rather than a clear victory for the CHAMPION) come on FanyBoy you know better.

lol @ you entirely(with the exception of the rothwell comments i didnt see the ref tell him the things mentioned above, so yes it does make a little more sense in why the fight was stopped. I actually knew little about rothwell before this fight but after finding out his story i was pulling for him and just wished that the loss was an absolute. I do not live in a fantasy land, it clearly looked as tho he was going to loose, but it only takes one punch to end a fight or one mistake.)

Just because you say you have always been a Machida fan doesn't give you any grounds to sling accusations that I am only saying the fight was won by Machida because I am a fan of the guy(in no place do i mention that i am a fan of either fighter) . To the contrary I had Shogun as my pick to win this fight before it aired. In addition I am not a huge fan of Machida. I do not like the defensive style that he has. It is the type of style that brings slow fights, much like anderson silva's style. I prefer a guy like Shogun who is in your face and pushing the pace of the fight the entire time. I thought it was funny when the 20 other people in my house who knew nothing about the fighters other than Machida and Shogun were both comming off K.O. victorys, were suprised at how the fight's pace turned out. And before I continue I would also like to add that i am a huge fan of the Pride company. I love the tournament style events they held and the rule system they had in place I think led to a more pure fight. So0o if you planned on coming back at me with I just ride the ufc's nuts B.S. you can save that too. I think that some of the best fighters today in the ufc came out of them buying out pride and forcing them for a lack of a better term to fight in their organization.

Now, I watched the fight several times. I honestly feel like people were really pulling for Shogun to win and are just upset because he lost an extremely close fight. It could have gone either way, but I honestly think that the judges got this one right. In no way does any one have the right to bash Machida for anything he did, nor do they have the right to bash people for saying they think he won the fight. I'm not bashing you saying that your point of views are moronic, and that you should stop crying over something that will never be changed no matter how hard you nerd rage on a keyboard in the UFC forums am I? there is honestly too much of that fallowing this fight and i think its fruitless.

Shogun is a great fighter, one of the best to ever fight in MMA in my opinion. But I can't see where the clear victory was for him. Machida was the Champion going into the fight, which means that Shogun had to Decisively out preform him at every step to take the title. He admits himself to slowing his own pace down at the end of the fight. if he had not done that he very well could have done what was needed to seal the deal and take round 5 and the belt. He just didn't have a point in the fight where it looked like he had machida hurt enough to end the fight, while Machida had several points where it looked like the fight was about to be ended by him. The huge knee that made Shogun look like he was going to puke sticks out so heavily in my mind.

I felt kinda bad for the guy when Machidas hand was raised because you could tell that Shogun thought that he won the fight, But that doesn't change reality and neither does complaining about it in the forums. The reason I put CHAMPION in capslock is simple. Its reality and people need to accept it. They will fight again, weather they fight for a title or just to settle it, they will fight again. I do not think that it should be the next fight for either of them however. Dana White needs to sack up on this one and tell people how it is. Shogun lost a close fight and if he continues to fight and win he will get another shot at the title.

In the mean time people need to lay off the champion. He went in the ring and fought his fight and three people that he has probally never met before and never will made the decision, not him. To say that he is a chump or a scumbag is rediculous and we don't need that in this sport. It has a bad enough stigma and people sending all this hate in Lyoto's direction is just un called for. He fights who they feel is the number one contender for his title, and if people take him the distance and leave the fight in the judges hands, they have to deal with what ever decision they hand out.

I guess I'm going to have to go against Joe Rogan and Goldberg and pretty much everybody else. I think if Rogan and Goldberg watched the fight on tape they would have a different opinion and would be ashamed of their commentary. And it sounds like most of you were influenced by their comments. It was like they were watching the fight from the waist down. Machida would hit Rua in the face and they would scream what a good kick by Rua. It was definitely a close fight and could have gone either way' date=' but I'm going with the judges and Machida. I have also lost a lot of respect for Rogan and Goldberg. That was pretty bush commentary and I have gained a lot of respect for Rua. That was a good fight and the commentators really detracted from it. Do it again![/quote']

What fight where you watching , go rewatch it every time Machida glanced him, Rua kicked the **** out of him. Goldberg and Rogan are professionals and have seen a fight or two more than you . So shut the **** up and learn mma ****

TO THE UFC:

YOU JUST LOST $60 A MONTH FROM ME!

Im suprised Machida vs Shogun wasnt fight of the night' date=' by far the most entertaining to watch in my eyes.[/quote']

I agree that was the most competitive fight I have seen for a long time.

exactly...you said it all right there. every major mma website shows they scored it in favor of shogun along with fightmetric. it doesnt matter what all the machida fans say. the facts speak for themselves.

Ok.. Let the facts speak for themselves.

Fact: Fightmetrics is wrong. Count the strikes in round 1 for yourself. They do not match fightmetrics stats at all.

Fact: 3 judges with a lot more experience then you scored the fight 3-2 for Lyoto.

Fact: Lyoto is the Champ still. Deal with it.

Shogun will not hit Machida. Evans couldnt connect and Evans is one of the fastest LHW in the division. What makes you think Shogun will connect?

What kind of analysis is that? Evans is primarily a wrestler with fast/heavy hands, but little technique and barely any kicks, so why would that even correlate to Shogun not being able to land kicks? You forgot Shogun can kick, right?

I have watched the fight 3 times today to justify my feeling at the time of the PPV. Now for those that are ignorant of the scoring system please review. Machida won from 2 things, first striking % and take down def, yes the 9 times that Shogun tried was stuffed every time (failed attempts are not a positive score on the card). Striking is not scored on landed hits alone sorry mates please review the scoring system. After 2 1/2 hours of rewinding and slowing it down I give it to Machida 48/47. Rd1 Machida Striking and take down def. Rd2 same. Rd3 same, yes Rua landed more in rd 2-3 but the % was much lower than Machidas so you must take inconsideration of the striking scoring system which is landed strikes/strikes thrown (say 10 strikes thrown and 5 land=50% which will lose to 6 thrown 4 land=66%) Rd4 Rua Striking Oct Control. Rd5 Same. Rd 4-5 was not a blow out either for 2 facts, Rua striking % almost lost him striking and the stuffed take downs. Im sorry but DAMAGE does not win fights in a DECISION. The fighter can be cut bruised battered IT DOES NOT MATTER. The only things that matter in a decision is the hard cold numbers. Saying that Rua gave Machida the fight of his life and I am counting the days to a rematch.

I have watched the fight 3 times today to justify my feeling at the time of the PPV. Now for those that are ignorant of the scoring system please review. Machida won from 2 things' date=' first striking % and take down def, yes the 9 times that Shogun tried was stuffed every time (failed attempts are not a positive score on the card). Striking is not scored on landed hits alone sorry mates please review the scoring system. After 2 1/2 hours of rewinding and slowing it down I give it to Machida 48/47. Rd1 Machida Striking and take down def. Rd2 same. Rd3 same, yes Rua landed more in rd 2-3 but the % was much lower than Machidas so you must take inconsideration of the striking scoring system which is landed strikes/strikes thrown (say 10 strikes thrown and 5 land=50% which will lose to 6 thrown 4 land=66%) Rd4 Rua Striking Oct Control. Rd5 Same. Rd 4-5 was not a blow out either for 2 facts, Rua striking % almost lost him striking and the stuffed take downs. Im sorry but DAMAGE does not win fights in a DECISION. The fighter can be cut bruised battered IT DOES NOT MATTER. The only things that matter in a decision is the hard cold numbers. Saying that Rua gave Machida the fight of his life and I am counting the days to a rematch.[/quote']

I stoped reading after you said Machida stuffed Rua's 9 takedowns.

I counted 2 maybe 3 takedown attemps.

stop mistaking the Thai Clinch for a takedown attempt.

first round i thought could have went either way' date=' but round 2-3-4-and 5 i thought shogun won. i thought shogun landed the harder shots of pretty much all the exchanges, i also thought shogun landed more often. not to mention shogun was the aggressor, and controled the action for the most part. IMO shogun got robbed plain and simple.[/quote']

Completly agreed. I feel so bad for Shogun. He dominated the whole fight and got robbed. When I see a unanimos decision win on Lyotos record it makes me sick. Hope Shogun gets back up

I stoped reading after you said Machida stuffed Rua's 9 takedowns.

I counted 2 maybe 3 takedown attemps.

stop mistaking the Thai Clinch for a takedown attempt.

do you ride the short bus to school? he had 2-3 take down attempts per round. why would you say otherwise? all anyone has to do is watch the fight (and i am assuming which is probaly my first mistake, that you shogun fans can count) and add them up.

by the way, a take down is when he tries to take him to the mat. i figured i would explain it for you guys because clearly you do not understand what they are.

Wow.. people are still going on about this. Simply amazing.

I watch the fight two more times today, just to see if I was wrong.. I WASN'T!

Machida clearly won the the bout. Rounds 1, 2 and 3 went to him. If you're coming to any other conclusion, you're either delusional or you're just a farrrrrr too biased Shogun fan.

MEK, you can look at all the 'fight statistics' that you want.. I will watch the fight.

Shogun may have won the 'fight', but Lyoto definitely won the contest.

Winning two rounds of a five round fight, does NOT give you a victory.

I have watched the fight 3 times today to justify my feeling at the time of the PPV. Now for those that are ignorant of the scoring system please review. Machida won from 2 things' date=' first striking % and take down def, yes the 9 times that Shogun tried was stuffed every time (failed attempts are not a positive score on the card). Striking is not scored on landed hits alone sorry mates please review the scoring system. After 2 1/2 hours of rewinding and slowing it down I give it to Machida 48/47. Rd1 Machida Striking and take down def. Rd2 same. Rd3 same, yes Rua landed more in rd 2-3 but the % was much lower than Machidas so you must take inconsideration of the striking scoring system which is landed strikes/strikes thrown (say 10 strikes thrown and 5 land=50% which will lose to 6 thrown 4 land=66%) Rd4 Rua Striking Oct Control. Rd5 Same. Rd 4-5 was not a blow out either for 2 facts, Rua striking % almost lost him striking and the stuffed take downs. Im sorry but DAMAGE does not win fights in a DECISION. The fighter can be cut bruised battered IT DOES NOT MATTER. The only things that matter in a decision is the hard cold numbers. Saying that Rua gave Machida the fight of his life and I am counting the days to a rematch.[/quote']

AGREED!!!! Although I'm not too sure about the nine takedown attempts.

Regardless, the most damage Shogun did, were his knees to Machida's legs in the clinch. Those will NOT win you a championship.

Anybody pointing to Machida's face as reason for Shogun to win, obviously doesn't understand how this sport works.

BTW.. the damage to his face occured in the 4th and 5th rounds.. which happen to be the TWO.. count em.. TWO rounds that he won.

Machida was beat up and wount be able to walk tomorow while Shogun was completly fresh. Thats al there is concerning this fight. Do the math. Everything else how Machida just maybe landed more or countered is just ********. He lost the fight and it wasnt even close.

Machida did win the fight ' date='UFC announcers overlooked that when Shogun kicked machida in the body machida was punching him in the face at the same time. the ufc announcer didnt seem to notice machida landing those face shots since they only announced shoguns kicks. Punches to the face score higher than body kicks i would assume. watch fight again and you will see machida land some nice face punches.

I agree, it did not matter what Machida did, Rogan only commented on Rua's performance. I don't think that Rua did enough to take the belt, and I could not wait for Rogan to shut up.

i love you

you dont know how many times i explained this to the guys i was watchin it with and they are all retarded

i would see Machida punch Shogun in the face 2-3 times and i would hear Joe Rogan say "nice leg kick by Shogun", hes kinda a ****

just watched the first 2 rounds again' date=' volume off. In my mind, Machida clearly won those rounds, no question. After that I give Shogun 2 rounds, and the other a toss up, close, but its a fair win. Shogun should of went for the knockout.[/quote']

i just watched again, i felt machida won the 2nd and 3rd narrowly, 4th and 5th shogun ran away with it, leaving the first round to the judges. i can imagine machida feels like he got nailed by a train after taking as many leg and body kicks as he did.

This is the reason boxing has taken a backseat to the UFC. That fight was not even close!I wont buy another fight until I believe they fix this type of judging. What a set back for the UFC. UFC was the only sport that was true. Now they entered the boxing world.

First of all this fight wasn't 'fixed', the judges didnt 'rig' the scores. If you were to accuse them of anything it would be proving a point; you have to beat a champion to become a champion. Shogun even said in a post-fight interview that towards the end of the fight especially in round 5 he didnt take any risks because he thought he was winning the fight. Well obviously the moral of this story is just because you think you are winning doesn't mean you have won. Rashad knocked out Liddel, then Machida KO'd rashad for the title... Rua TKO'd Liddel (like Rashad) and then plays it safe in the last round in hope to win by decision for the title? If I was a judge I would have done the same thing and given it to Machida. Maybe the judges thought Rua didnt push enough for the belt in the last two rounds, I mean what kind of champion just plays it safe to win because he thinks hes winning? No disrespect to Shogun or his fans, but he really did have this one in the books, why not finish the fight? Machida was clearly feeling it in the last round as well, gassed out a little, which is when Shogun should have put it all on the line in my opinion.

The emphasis for fighters in title fights should be more about fighting for the belt, not playing it safe to win by decision.. I mean is that how a true champion should win, by decision? If I was fighting Machida for the title (or even Anderson Silva for that matter), knowing that he is one of the best fighters in the world, I would go in for the kill every chance I got. I would say to myself 'I AM gonna knock you out or Im gonna die trying, and if that means I get knocked out in the process then so be it, just know Im coming after the belt'.

With great risk comes great reward.

PS - Dont hate on Machida, he didnt score the fights. He didnt talk **** before or after the fight. All he did was defend his title to the best of his ability at the time and kept a professional sportsman attitude post-fight regardless of how the judges ruled the match.

go bang your head off a wall, your a moron

It is my personal belief that if this fight were to be judged as a kickboxing match I would have said shogun won the fight' date=' however it was an MMA match where you have to take several factors into account biggest all being that when you are the challenger to a belt you have to pretty much leave the judges no other option but to choose you as the winner! While I do believe that Shogun had the better of most of the exchanges ie setting up the leg kicks and staying in the pocket, he didn't bring enough heat to ever REALLY put Machida in any more danger than Machida put Rua in at given points of the fight. When you are the challenger and a fight is that close you really have to pull out the victory pretty hardcore in order to get the W.

So I guess my point is Rua did an amazing job at getting Machida out of his comfort zone, he didn't do enough to finish the fight or put Lyoto in enough danger to pull off the upset.[/quote']

You know I've been pretty set in the fact that Shogun won this, and technically he did, but you make an excellent point. Lyoto IS the champ, Shogun IS the challenger. Lyoto was never knocked out, he didn't exactly lie down either, Shogun has some marks on his face and ribs as well. Shogun needed to KO or completely dominate, instead of decisive and repetitive leg kicks. Machida was handling the damage pretty well imo, and that should be taken into account when looking at this fight again.

If it was up to me, I would have called a sudden death round to be certain. Regardless I'm excited for the rematch, I think Machida will learn from this and we'll see a different style from him next time around going up against Shogun. Although Im partial to Machida and am a huge fan, I feel bad for Shogun, being the underdog and putting on the performance he did last night, I have some hopes that Shogun may come out in the rematch and take what he's worked so hard for.

It was overall a close, and an excellent fight. They are both very talented although I saw a machida a little under his game, maybe he was slightly ill? The rematch should clear up all question, and I hope it comes soon. Again, excellent point and I agree totally.

This is a sport' date=' not a soap opera, you noob. Nobody cares about debate or controversy. They care about accuracy and legitimacy in a sport still trying to gain acceptance on a global front. This isn't healthy, and in fact, is about 10 steps backwards for the UFC, and unfortunately, MMA.[/quote']

Nobody cares about debate or controversy huh??? that's why there's 49,000 posts just on this subject DEBATING the CONTROVERSY... sports bars, homes, casinos, are filled with people debating controversies in ALL of our major sports...that's what makes it fun and interesting... If the fight was a zzzzzzz nobody would care nor want to watch another fight...you knob! UFC already has acceptance in the world with sellout arenas and huge ppv buys and getting bigger...

First of all this fight wasn't 'fixed'' date=' the judges didnt 'rig' the scores. If you were to accuse them of anything it would be proving a point; you have to beat a champion to become a champion. Shogun even said in a post-fight interview that towards the end of the fight especially in round 5 he didnt take any risks because he thought he was winning the fight. Well obviously the moral of this story is just because you think you are winning doesn't mean you have won. Rashad knocked out Liddel, then Machida KO'd rashad for the title... Rua TKO'd Liddel (like Rashad) and then plays it safe in the last round in hope to win by decision for the title? If I was a judge I would have done the same thing and given it to Machida. [b']Maybe the judges thought Rua didnt push enough for the belt in the last two rounds[/b], I mean what kind of champion just plays it safe to win because he thinks hes winning? No disrespect to Shogun or his fans, but he really did have this one in the books, why not finish the fight? Machida was clearly feeling it in the last round as well, gassed out a little, which is when Shogun should have put it all on the line in my opinion.

The emphasis for fighters in title fights should be more about fighting for the belt, not playing it safe to win by decision.. I mean is that how a true champion should win, by decision? If I was fighting Machida for the title (or even Anderson Silva for that matter), knowing that he is one of the best fighters in the world, I would go in for the kill every chance I got. I would say to myself 'I AM gonna knock you out or Im gonna die trying, and if that means I get knocked out in the process then so be it, just know Im coming after the belt'.

With great risk comes great reward.

PS - Dont hate on Machida, he didnt score the fights. He didnt talk **** before or after the fight. All he did was defend his title to the best of his ability at the time and kept a professional sportsman attitude post-fight regardless of how the judges ruled the match.

You need to realize that the judges score each round individually. They don't sit there at the end and then come up with a winner.

Shogun won round 5 on every scorecard, and won round 4 on two of them. Pushing the pace in the last two rounds wouldn't have helped him, as by the time the 4th round came along, he had already lost the fight.

Machida was beat up and wount be able to walk tomorow while Shogun was completly fresh. Thats al there is concerning this fight. Do the math. Everything else how Machida just maybe landed more or countered is just ********. He lost the fight and it wasnt even close.

Spoken like a completely biased Shogun fan.

The fact that Shogun was fresh simply means that his conditioning is better.

Also, it wouldn't have mattered if Shogun cut off Machida's arm in the last round. As long as Machida avoided a 10-8 round, he was going to win, as he had won the first three rounds.