Sign in to follow this  
mtagt56

British show the americans what MMA is all about.

I know the point your trying to make' date=' I honestly do, but that doesn't change his nationality, his place of origin, his birthplace. Like I said in another example, Brad Friedel represents a football team from Birmingham (UK not alabama!), but he is American.

If Wilks were to renounce his British nationality and say he wanted to be American, I would agree with you if he went back on it and represented England or GB. But he has always said he is English. Its like Dan Hardy. Would you consider him American cos he lives in LA? He's pretty much as English as it comes.

But like I said, if I were to move to Australia for 10 years for work, and get my Aussie citizenship, I would still choose (in my dreams obviously) to represent Scotland in football.

What confused me was before the Lester Osipczak fight, they put the German flag above Frankie's name! haha, that was cos he was born on a US army base in Germany, but still a bit wierd I think.[/quote']

Obviously his nationality isn't in question, just when it comes to fighting, training, etc etc, He is clearly fighting and training out of the states, as mentioned. I only bring this up as a key point because some of the, we brits showed you Americans this and that, well, I don't buy it, and pointing out that one of the "brits" has been training here for quite a long time. He may have an very slight accent, but he CANNOT attribute his training and fighting to anywhere over there with pride like Pearson and Winner can, as he purposely moved here to train in the states. He is fighting out of California, Just not that exciting when it comes to boasting country pride you know. So he is fighting out of the States, but hey, lets give him UK country pride as well when he clearly is NOT fighting or training from there....??...

Now Pearson and Winner, they can say with Pride that they have trained and fought out of thier home towns in the UK. We can't say this about Wilkes, and hence boasting about his nationality means absolutely nothing in context.

my last point, peace and have a good day!

Obviously his nationality isn't in question' date=' just when it comes to fighting, training, etc etc, He is clearly fighting and training out of the states, as mentioned. I only bring this up as a key point because some of the, we brits showed you Americans this and that, well, I don't buy it, and pointing out that one of the "brits" has been training here for quite a long time. He may have an very slight accent, but he CANNOT attribute his training and fighting to anywhere over there with pride like Pearson and Winner can, as he purposely moved here to train in the states. He is fighting out of California, Just not that exciting when it comes to boasting country pride you know. So he is fighting out of the States, but hey, lets give him UK country pride as well when he clearly is NOT fighting or training from there....??...

Now Pearson and Winner, they can say with Pride that they have trained and fought out of thier home towns in the UK. We can't say this about Wilkes, and hence boasting about his nationality means absolutely nothing in context.

my last point, peace and have a good day![/quote']

Thats just digging for an ounce of credibility. Take your defeats, dust yourselves off, and train harder for the next fight!. Why cant you just lose with dignity? Everyone takes a loss sometimes.

Why is it that when any other nationality expresses pride in their citizens Americans get defensive and start trash talking?

Let the Brits have their pride. Their team did great and looks far and away better then the USA guys. So they might not be ready to fight BJ Penn yet... so what?! Noone coming off TuF has been ready for a title shot! get real.

I for one salute the brits. Good work guys.

And no.. I am not British

Thats just digging for an ounce of credibility. Take your defeats' date=' dust yourselves off, and train harder for the next fight!. Why cant you just lose with dignity? Everyone takes a loss sometimes.[/quote']

If you have ever read what I have been saying all along and with many other posts, I have always congradulated the winners. Not losing without dignity, I was not fighting.

The only real trash talking as of late has been against the Americans, at least the majority I am reading.

If you have ever read what I have been saying all along and with many other posts' date=' I have always congradulated the winners. Not losing without dignity, I was not fighting.

The only real trash talking as of late has been against the Americans, at least the majority I am reading.

Yeah, it seems some folks just see what they want to. I have said many many times that Ross was my favorite fighter on the show.

Can you imagine not being American? Can you imagine being a citizen of another country that constantly lives in the shadow of its big bro over there?

Very, very rarely do we ever beat ANYONE let alone the US, so we like to gloat!.

Another thing is the psychologial game that the US fighters just cant seem to break down. It works. You have seen it in action many times in the last few weeks, and how effective it has been by breaking down the discipline and thought processes of the opponent.

Much is reflected here in this forum and by the responses to critisism.

If you cant beat em - join em. (or submit them, depending where you are).

Its all gravy, so lets see all this as good for the sport. It has brought MMA into the eyes of a lot of european kids and adults alike. In order to be credible enough to be a world-wide sport, (even if it was a media stunt, although this is not my opinion) it has to have world-wide coverage. If it was a media stunt you have to give props to the team that did it because from a PR point of view, it was a raging success.

Long live MMA, in all its forms. Long live UFC for making it mainstream.

Can you imagine not being American? Can you imagine being a citizen of another country that constantly lives in the shadow of its big bro over there?

Very' date=' very rarely do we ever beat ANYONE let alone the US, so we like to gloat!.

Another thing is the psychologial game that the US fighters just cant seem to break down. It works. You have seen it in action many times in the last few weeks, and how effective it has been by breaking down the discipline and thought processes of the opponent.

Much is reflected here in this forum and by the responses to critisism.

If you cant beat em - join em. (or submit them, depending where you are).

Its all gravy, so lets see all this as good for the sport. It has brought MMA into the eyes of a lot of european kids and adults alike. In order to be credible enough to be a world-wide sport, (even if it was a media stunt, although this is not my opinion) it has to have world-wide coverage. If it was a media stunt you have to give props to the team that did it because from a PR point of view, it was a raging success.

Long live MMA, in all its forms. Long live UFC for making it mainstream.[/quote']

Well, I will say again, congrats to the UK team, they did you guys proud.

Peace to Johnson for presenting the trophy to Wilks. Was a nice touch' date=' shows professionalism and honour (honor to cuz). Nuff Respect![/quote']

very true.

I didn't like Johnson on the show. He was much to lippy and frankly was a bit of a gangster wannabe at times. However, when he didn't know the cameras were on him (or it seemed he didnt' know) he seemed like a decent guy at times too.

But ya.. presenting the trophy to the guy that beat him, and his comments post fight were classy. Seems like a decent guy and we are obviously gonna keep seeing him in the UFC.

Yeah, I hope to see a couple of the TUF9s to be at least training with the UFC guys.

We have quite an active MMA scene in the UK with CageRage and all the others.

It has been growing steadily but recently the number of Martial Arts flyers through my door has been growing rapidly!

no doubt we will see alot of the fighters in the ufc in the near future. however i dont think the usa team this year will have much luck. ross, winner, and wilks will all get there fair share of fights. i think the best we (the us team) had to offer was D and to be honest i havent at all been impressed with his last two fights, so id imagine he'll end up on a prelim fight in the future to see if he can sink or swim.

HUH? Serra and Lutter immediately got title shots after the season.

yes the bit you chose to ignore was i said not "all " so presumably i meant some just couldnt remeber who apart from serra

very true.

I didn't like Johnson on the show. He was much to lippy and frankly was a bit of a gangster wannabe at times. However' date=' when he didn't know the cameras were on him (or it seemed he didnt' know) he seemed like a decent guy at times too.

But ya.. presenting the trophy to the guy that beat him, and his comments post fight were classy. Seems like a decent guy and we are obviously gonna keep seeing him in the UFC.[/quote']

I disagree.James said it in the previews that DaLores wanted to be in the limelight and this was just another way of trying to big himself up and make it about "ME" Dana didnt look too impressed. Same for his comments he knows now he was running his mouth off and because he was beaten so comprehensively he has nowhere to else to go, but try and garner favour by being the nice guy. Anyone who squeals like a stuck pig and stomps off like a 4 year old when they get squirted with a little water has some serious self image issues. Tough guy or not he'd be laughed out of the factory on cleandown where I work!

Well done to the uk lads and especially to willks as i he was seen as an underdog agains dermaques and i think he shocked everyone. Now the next big shock is gonna be bisping flooring hendo at 100

yes the bit you chose to ignore was i said not "all " so presumably i meant some just couldnt remeber who apart from serra

LOL, the word "none" kinda threw me off. And of course not all of them got a title shot. That was just for the winners.

I'll say congrats to the UK fighters... I liked more of them than I did the US guys.. Except Lester, he's a badass. Cameron sucked in the very beginning, but turned out to be alright, Johnson, Dent.. all annoyed. I liked the Shaun White kid, too.

From the UK, I liked most their fighters. Lost a lot for Dave, but he was funny.

All in all, it wasn't bad. I'm with a lot of people that think it was very one-sided, but whatever sells in the UK, I guess. Plus, gotta have something to fall back on when Bisping doesn't amount.

I'm an Australian that watched the whole of the US v UK ultimate fighter series and it was great to watch team UK give the yanks a thorough bashing. I like Americans and have spent a lot of time working with some good guys whilst serving in the military but I have to say the fighters in the american camp let their country down, especially demarque johnson with his vindictive mouth. The Brits on the other hand came across humble in defeat and quietly proud in victory. Whilst in any sport there's a requirement for heckling and professional banter I found the fighters in the american camp in the main nasty mouthed and personal in their comments and it was sweet justice to anyone unbiased watching the series to see the Brits cleanup. There will be a lot of americans that read this thread disagree with my comments.. my message to you is if you're gonna give it out be gratious enough in defeat to take it up the **** too.

I'm an Australian that watched the whole of the US v UK ultimate fighter series and it was great to watch team UK give the yanks a thorough bashing. I like Americans and have spent a lot of time working with some good guys whilst serving in the military but I have to say the fighters in the american camp let their country down' date=' especially demarque johnson with his vindictive mouth. The Brits on the other hand came across humble in defeat and quietly proud in victory. Whilst in any sport there's a requirement for heckling and professional banter I found the fighters in the american camp in the main nasty mouthed and personal in their comments and it was sweet justice to anyone unbiased watching the series to see the Brits cleanup. There will be a lot of americans that read this thread disagree with my comments.. my message to you is if you're gonna give it out be gratious enough in defeat to take it up the **** too.[/quote']

I do not disagree with everything you said but I have to correct you on one point and then add another lol. First let me state great job by the guys on the show, on both sides of the Pond. Second, I love how people act like this is their win lol. If you are not one of the fighters then what exactly are you claiming? YOU did not win anything lol. YOU did not train and sacrifice..the fighters did. Ok...to my correction. Yes...MOST of the UK acted above reproach and did not sink to name calling and trash talking....with the very notable exceptions of the COACH, Bisbing, and Nick. Both had anti amercian statements, both trash talked. So if you are going to gig us about Demarques...dont forget Bisbing and Nick. But hopefully, everyone will get over this and realise we are all friends and allies who enjoy great atheletes doing their thing. (was that better G? I am trying lol) Lastly....I have been telling people Wilkes was the one to watch but no one...including UK fans listened to me...lol

I'll say congrats to the UK fighters... I liked more of them than I did the US guys.. Except Lester' date=' he's a badass. Cameron sucked in the very beginning, but turned out to be alright, Johnson, Dent.. all annoyed. I liked the Shaun White kid, too.

From the UK, I liked most their fighters. Lost a lot for Dave, but he was funny.

All in all, it wasn't bad. I'm with a lot of people that think it was very one-sided, but whatever sells in the UK, I guess. Plus, gotta have something to fall back on when Bisping doesn't amount.[/quote']

Oooohhh cold diss!

I want Bisping to win but I gotta say that is a sick final statement.

Full respect.

I'm an Australian that watched the whole of the US v UK ultimate fighter series and it was great to watch team UK give the yanks a thorough bashing. I like Americans and have spent a lot of time working with some good guys whilst serving in the military but I have to say the fighters in the american camp let their country down' date=' especially demarque johnson with his vindictive mouth. The Brits on the other hand came across humble in defeat and quietly proud in victory. Whilst in any sport there's a requirement for heckling and professional banter I found the fighters in the american camp in the main nasty mouthed and personal in their comments and it was sweet justice to anyone unbiased watching the series to see the Brits cleanup. There will be a lot of americans that read this thread disagree with my comments.. my message to you is if you're gonna give it out be gratious enough in defeat to take it up the **** too.[/quote']

[semi-true joke]You have almost described this forum[/semi-true joke]

[semi-true joke]You have almost described this forum[/semi-true joke]

I am disturbed by how many UK fans turned a TOTAL blind eye to how immature Bisbing is and the Anti American sentiments by Nick...totally scary to think people are that blind.

I do not disagree with everything you said but I have to correct you on one point and then add another lol. First let me state great job by the guys on the show' date=' on both sides of the Pond. Second, I love how people act like this is their win lol. If you are not one of the fighters then what exactly are you claiming? YOU did not win anything lol. YOU did not train and sacrifice..the fighters did. Ok...to my correction. Yes...MOST of the UK acted above reproach and did not sink to name calling and trash talking....with the very notable exceptions of the COACH, Bisbing, and Nick. Both had anti amercian statements, both trash talked. So if you are going to gig us about Demarques...dont forget Bisbing and Nick. But hopefully, everyone will get over this and realise we are all friends and allies who enjoy great atheletes doing their thing. (was that better G? I am trying lol) Lastly....I have been telling people Wilkes was the one to watch but no one...including UK fans listened to me...lol[/quote']

Good post man.

I am disturbed by how many UK fans turned a TOTAL blind eye to how immature Bisbing is and the Anti American sentiments by Nick...totally scary to think people are that blind.

Yeah you're probably right. Can get too much sometimes (Bisping).

And although Nick did portray anti american sentiments' date=' i think it was meant more in a 'rile them up' manner.

Its called 'Banter'.

I come from London but moved up north. Never heard of it till then. Try it in London and they get all defensive too.

Like old school battle rapping. It does seem to get personal sometimes but you gotta think of a better response.

'Ya mama got a peg leg with a kickstand' - Pharcyde.

And although Nick did portray anti american sentiments' date=' i think it was meant more in a 'rile them up' manner.

Its called 'Banter'.

I come from London but moved up north. Never heard of it till then. Try it in London and they get all defensive too.

Like old school battle rapping. It does seem to get personal sometimes but you gotta think of a better response.

Lol@banter. Oooh so that's what that is, thanks for the definition lol. Anyways, I hear what you are saying about Nick, but the point of my comment is that neither side is snow white pure so maybe the old adage of "don't throw bricks if you live in a glass house....or um....flat" applies here.

'

it certainly wont shock me. :)

get your towel ready BRITinOZ-- so you don't cry in your beer when Bisbing gets a rude awakening from the upper echelon of the weight class.

Its called 'Banter'.

LOL @ the pharcyde quote---haven't heard that in a while...

"Ur mamma has a glass eye with a fish in it" - Pharcyde

Yeah' date=' I hope to see a couple of the TUF9s to be at least training with the UFC guys.

We have quite an active MMA scene in the UK with CageRage and all the others.

It has been growing steadily but recently the number of Martial Arts flyers through my door has been growing rapidly![/quote']

SO what is it??? Are you brits are new to MMA??? or have an active scene???

Well done to the uk lads and especially to willks as i he was seen as an underdog agains dermaques and i think he shocked everyone. Now the next big shock is gonna be bisping flooring hendo at 100

Yes Wilks did an amazing job. I guess his 8 yrs of training in the US paid off...

i agree he does have a bright future. and i have nothing against him and look forward to seeing him grow. its just so annoying to hear britts wanting all this respect and recognition right now' date=' before any of thier stars have beaten anyone. ill give all the praise in the world when they've beaten some top tier fighters, but dont demand a round of applause for beating those guys.[/quote']

ha ha ha ha totally agree agree with you bro..... ohhh and Bisbing deserves a title shot for beating Hamil and loosing a close one to evans.....

I didn't really pick sides in this thing. The whole point of the show has always been for the best fighters to win the show, REGARDLESS of where they come from. I was going to cheer for whoever won. I think Ross will have a good future in this sport as well as Andre Winner. James Wilkes was very impressive in his win and Demarques Johnson was good as well. I'm American and I cheered when the Brits won, because I wasn't thinking of the show/finale in terms of "US vs THEM". I didn't care about the nationalities, just the talent. I do agree with another poster (I believe it was JJW) that some of you need to be a bit classier in victory. That being said, some need to quite being sore losers.

I didn't really pick sides in this thing. The whole point of the show has always been for the best fighters to win the show' date=' REGARDLESS of where they come from. I was going to cheer for whoever won. I think Ross will have a good future in this sport as well as Andre Winner. James Wilkes was very impressive in his win and Demarques Johnson was good as well. I'm American and I cheered when the Brits won, because I wasn't thinking of the show/finale in terms of "US vs THEM". I didn't care about the nationalities, just the talent. I do agree with another poster (I believe it was JJW) that some of you need to be a bit classier in victory. That being said, some need to quite being sore losers.[/quote']

Totally agree about just caring about the talent. I was a Ross, Winner, Lawson, Wilks, Richie fan from the start......thats an American pulling for 4 UK guys to one US guy LOL. I wouldn't care where they are from, they can fight, I'll pull for you!!

I love the adolescent trash talking crap involved with this thread.

1. US vs.UK= marketable phrase in multiple places.

2. The US had a crappier team but it's pretty stupid to say it was on purpose.

3. The UK team showed a tremendous amount of class and talent and should be proud.

4. If you got more out of the season than that (like that the UK showed the US what MMA was all about) you are a idjit. No Brit has a belt...so close the pie whole.

No disrespect meant to any specific nationality but only too those with a childish mindset about the whole thing.

The whole US vs UK theme was fun. Some took it too far.

JJW is correct in what he said. And, I as an guy from the US, also picked Ross as one of my favorites from the get go.

I also really like some of the other UK guys. I think Dean is a great guy. Jeff as well.

The whole US vs UK theme was fun. Some took it too far.

JJW is correct in what he said. And' date=' I as an guy from the US, also picked Ross as one of my favorites from the get go.

I also really like some of the other UK guys. I think Dean is a great guy. Jeff as well.[/quote']

I agree the season was fun to watch. As a US guy I would have liked to have seen not only more talent but guys that get along on our side but whatever it's the way the cookie crumbles. I thought Dean, Wilks, Ross--ok all the Brits seemed like good guys.

From our side I was impressed how our guys who were really outmatched still showed heart...Dent and Lester gave me some good warm fuzzy "born in USA" feelings:)

I do not disagree with everything you said but I have to correct you on one point and then add another lol. First let me state great job by the guys on the show' date=' on both sides of the Pond. Second, I love how people act like this is their win lol. If you are not one of the fighters then what exactly are you claiming? YOU did not win anything lol. YOU did not train and sacrifice..the fighters did. Ok...to my correction. Yes...MOST of the UK acted above reproach and did not sink to name calling and trash talking....with the very notable exceptions of the COACH, Bisbing, and Nick. Both had anti amercian statements, both trash talked. So if you are going to gig us about Demarques...dont forget Bisbing and Nick. But hopefully, everyone will get over this and realise we are all friends and allies who enjoy great atheletes doing their thing. (was that better G? I am trying lol) Lastly....I have been telling people Wilkes was the one to watch but no one...including UK fans listened to me...lol[/quote']

Clew, like you I do not disagree with your comments but I think you misunderstood why I made the post. It wasn't to take anything away from the guys who all made sacrifices and worked their arses off. I felt strongly enough as an indendent viewer to post a comment on this forum because I hope any up-and-coming fighters read these threads and take note. In my opinion, they should have left the TV hype ******** to the 2 coaches, who had obviously been briefed by the producers to rile things up and concentrate on what they were there to do. All my opinions are totally non-biased because I'm an Australian. I'm neither American nor British so I have nothing to gain personally. I had favourite fighters on both sides of the pond but I think the Americans more so than the Brits let themselves down with the personal trash talk. I never winessed American or Brit soldiers in Afghanistan trash talking each other and believe me these guys are fixing bayonets on a daily basis, fighting along side each other.

Lets all stand up and give the brits a round of applause. Throughout the ultimate fighter 9 the Americans spent to much time boasting and bragging about what they where going to do to the brits and less actual showing what they where going to do.

We enter the final and throughout the night including the pre-lims the british dominate the americans time after time after time. Wilks destroyed the Glass Jaw Demarquez (who realisticly was lucky to be in the final) Nick in the prelims destroyed his apponent.

The lets cast our mind back 1 week in Germany' date=' how many times did the brits beat the americans (was it every fight)

You gota hand it to us we know how to fight and our team moral and never say die attitude showed the world of MMA that we are at the forefront. Its a matter of time before we have british UFC Champ.

Well done lads[/quote']

have u seen the american fighters from previous ufc shows u have no comparison to our fighters,i'll give u that this season they got their asses kicked but u know that theirs way better fighters out their than the bums they picked this season from the unemployment office this guys were weak and big psies. those were the best fighters in brittain while we had our worst fighters in america this season.

wow' date=' its like when you have a foot race with alittle kid and let them win. and this guy is really into it lol. just so you know dana white is on a huge push to move the ufc into different countrys. he claims mma will be the most popular sport in the world in 10 years. england is an untapped market. so dana puts a group of sub par americans in to fight englands best. think im a liar? check out the usa guys records. having an 18-9 record or a 2-2 record doesnt exactly make you the cream of the crop. but in the end dana will choose money over pride every time. and in ufc 99 i cant help but think your talkin about hardy. he has been gettin pretty easy fights and doesnt really have much to gloat about. kos,serra,hughs,fitch,penn,st pierre. he couldnt fight with any of them. notice hardy is following the same path as bisping. stay away from the top rung american guys so they dont get ko'd and the britts lose thier hero.[/quote']

i agree with everything u said and i though the same thing. seeing that all our fighters from previuos seasons were beast their still tearing up the ufc, most of them have already had championship belts.

have u seen the american fighters from previous ufc shows u have no comparison to our fighters,i'll give u that this season they got their asses kicked but u know that theirs way better fighters out their than the bums they picked this season from the unemployment office this guys were weak and big psies. those were the best fighters in brittain while we had our worst fighters in america this season.

SO what is it??? Are you brits are new to MMA??? or have an active scene???

MMA has been around in Britain for a long time. It has not been mainstream until some teenager saw it on Bravo about 2 years ago and told his mates.

In this country, martial arts has been abused by money hungry Taekwando clubs, that charge extortionate amounts for membership and teach people how to dance in front of a mirror. But you do get a free gi, so that justifies 100 dollars a month for an hour a week apparently.

This is changing as people start to raise concern. I generally dont charge for my time, but more for the venue. In the summer I dont need to charge anything as I use public parks and back gardens!! I like to train outside.

MMA is starting to rise from the underground and make itself known to a bigger audience. But some of us have had a good 10 years where we have been training in an MMA style.