Sign in to follow this  
JujitsWho

The Offical UFC 101 BJ Penn vs. Kenny Florian Thread

This seemed to work well for UFC 100, so why not try it again and cut down on some repeat threads :)

This thread will be geared toward the BJ/Kenfo fight.

Give your predictions, analysis, fighter breakdowns etc. here

With the quality of forum virgins thus far, I don't know about that. Have you seen some of the threads they just posted today?

Anyhoo, this is a tough fight for me to call and I'll tell you why. I think B.J. might be out to prove a point this time and that's a plus for him. On the negative side, I think, despite what he said in his promo piece they have on the front page, he's not taking Kenny Florian 100% serious. As a champion, we've seen it before, you have to come in deadly earnest in your pursuit of victory and not take your supremcy for granted. It seems like, at least when it comes to the 155-pound division, Penn takes it a bit for granted. Again, maybe the second fight with GSP smartened him up, but only time will tell.

Kenny Florian probably wants to shut all his naysayers up and prove that 155-pound BJ is not an MMA demigod. That's huge motivation for a man that has to look at himself in the mirror everyday and honestly question if he has what it takes. That can work both ways though. As long as he's gone without a fight, that sort of mental pressure can start making a fighter crack. We've all seen it before with long layoffs and people trying to come back and prove something.

Personally, I don't have much of a stake in this match. Penn and Florian both annoy me to no end for very different reasons. On paper, it's Penn all the way. But if you go by hunger for the title, then I'm going to go with Florian.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Florian by UD.

Not a huge fan of BJ the person, but his skills are undeniable. As much as I like Kenny, and believe he could dominate the division if Penn wasn't around, I think that BJ shades him in all areas.

I see a BJ coming out strong in the first two rounds just to have Kenflo on his bicycle while using his muay thai. Thus first two rounds will be a toss up depending on how the exchanges go.

third, fourth, fifth Kenny will push the action more, as I'm fairely confident BJ will start tiring sooner then Kenny.

Kenny via decision

I see a BJ coming out strong in the first two rounds just to have Kenflo on his bicycle while using his muay thai. Thus first two rounds will be a toss up depending on how the exchanges go.

third' date=' fourth, fifth Kenny will push the action more, as I'm fairely confident BJ will start tiring sooner then Kenny.

Kenny via decision[/quote']

This

i feel bj is the better fighter but just believe kenflo might just want it more than bj

so i am goin for kenflo with a late submission

i'm a fan of both fighters, but it's hard to judge how bj will rebound from such a dominating loss to gsp, will he come back to his division with vengence, or is the loss still affecting him mentally, we'll see. even if bj's head is in the right place, kenflo is comming into this fight with a ton of momentum, and this being a title fight.it's hard to call.

if both fighters were in the best possible fighting condition, phyisicaly and mentally.my vote would be for bj. but i don't think this will be the case. my vote's for kenny. whatever the outcome it's sure to be an exciting and close fight.

The good thing about watching MMA fights is it can go any way... I see a KO/TKO in favour of KenFlo if Florian keeps it standing more than it goes to floor...

If BJ Makes it stay on floor.... BJ decision or submission....

I'll Say Kenny Florian TKO though....

Kenflo is the more dynamic fighter he brings more to the table on the feet and on the ground his BJJ is so under rated for some reason. But I will say if BJ comes into this fight having had a good training camp Kenflo better look out for sure. A focused BJ is a dominate BJ for sure.

I don't realy like BJ or Ken, but i think BJ is an awesome fighter. Crazy knockouts and great control in all areas - imo Florian is just the same fighter with lesser ability.

Also, i laughed my **** off hearing the response Barnett gave about Florian after he critisized Barnetts performance in a recent fight... makes me wanna see Kenflo get beaten just to knock him down a notch :)

Anyway - all in all, should be a good fight, and i hope BJ gets another awesome knockout to add to his collection :) however - i wouldn't be surprised if he took it to the floor, and it would be more imaginable for BJ to win by GnP/sub.

Voting for BJ by KO however, i got high hopes for a smacktacular BJ comeback :)

This one is gonna be Penn`s ground skills versus the elbow and striking abilities of Kenflo I reckon! Interesting to see if Penn will be back to his best after being thoroughly beaten by GSP. However Kenflo hasn`t been in the ring for a while now so will he be a bit rusty? I reckon Kenflo by decision! Not sure if Penn has the endurance to keep up with the fast pace Kenflo will set.

As much as i like kenflo, there's no way he's gonna be able to tapout BJ Penn. BJ just has a way better ground game then Kenny. Even on the feet, Kenflo is gonna be trying to do something no one else has ever done....Try to knock BJ down/out with striking, and i don't think he's the one to do it. If BJ has gas in the tank i say he knocks Kenflo out in the late second/early third. Especially if he gets the single collar tie and pummels with dirty boxing and mean uppercuts like he did to Sherk. Not to mention Sherk beat Kenny, and Penn DOMINATED Sherk. I just don't see the title changing hands. Although I've been wrong before......

I haven't really watched a lot of Kenny Florian fights, so I'm not sure what he can and cannot do, but BJ's heart is gone, and it looks like he just doesn't care anymore...I don't know, I seen that posted somewhere. I voted Kenny Florian via Decision.

Its BJ...

His chin his legendary, his striking improves each fight and has great KO power, he is agile, he is extremely hard to takedown even if you outweigh him, he is strong, and he has a world class ground game.

Although Kenflo is close in all areas, I believe BJ is just slightly better.

I'll take BJ in this one, even though I think KenFlo's a tremendous fighter and is going to make it a very tough fight. At LW, BJ is really a monster- great striking, amazing BJJ, superior takedown defense and incredible flexibility. BJ has a chance to establish a legacy as one of the all-time great fighters in MMA as a LW, and as much as I like Kenny and see the possibility of an upset, I think BJ will continue his LW domination.

third' date=' fourth, fifth Kenny will push the action more, as I'm fairely confident BJ will start tiring sooner then Kenny.

Kenny via decision[/quote']

I bet on this to.

BJ by KO 2nd round he is way to talented for Kenflo when hes in shape which he will be. I like Kenflo but I dont think hes the guy to take out BJ but if/when he loses Kenflo vs Sanchez will be a great rematch.

I hope Florian knocks him the hell out.

I'll second this!! I know lots of fighters seem ****y and arrogant but I think it's effected BJ. He just seems ****y to me now and no longer has the game to back it up.

I'll second this!! I know lots of fighters seem ****y and arrogant but I think it's effected BJ. He just seems ****y to me now and no longer has the game to back it up.

Like your boy "Forrest" said on TUF with Rampage show, "Theres nothing more worse than a guy that talks sh*t and can back it up"

Florian has developed physically and mentally in his last couple of fights and has executed good game plans, BJ on the other hand is in my mind far stronger physically which is shown by his ability to handle larger fighters such as Hughes, mentally i think BJ is also strong he has never quit and it was his corner that called it with GSP as there is no quit with BJ, gameplans with BJ dont seem apparent he just deals with whats in front of him on the night.

Florian is better with kicks no doubt but Penns boxing is superb, takedowns ..well BJs ability to defend on this area is obvious, Florian perhaps is weaker in this area, the main strength is Ju jitsu for both guys and i think if Florian feels he has something to prove may be his undoing in this fight. Penn has the edge in Ju jitsu in my opinion.

So i reckon Penn is going to win this one, he has the power to KO Florian but why play into Florians speedy standup?, ok this is how i see the fight closing- BJ keeping the fight against the cage dirty boxing etc, he then takes Florian down, both fighters fight for posistion but Penns strength and skill edge it and i think its a win via RNC.

The downside to Penn is how motivated is he, his cardio has let him down in the past but in all fairness he seems to have picked it up.

I think Penn will set out to re-establish himself as one of the top P4P fighters and eventually wear Kenny down for a submission win around the 3rd or 4th.

no current champ is going to lose a fight in 2009.

BJ, not by KO or TKO.

definitely on the ground. probably a sub. if not then a decision based on BJ domminating the ground game but never doing enough damage to finish.

KenFlo did beat Huerta and Stevenson, but other than that he has beaten nobody.

B.J. beat Stevenson with the exact same submission (rear naked choke), but he has also beaten Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, and Sean Sherk (who Florian lost to). Four of Penn's five losses came against GSP, Matt Hughes, and Lyoto Machida...and he took Machida and GSP the distance, so what does that tell you? It tells you that Kenny Florian is in trouble because Penn hasn't lost in the lightweight division since January 11, 2002. His losses are to the current LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT champion (Machida), the welterweight champion at the time (Hughes), and the current welterweight champion (GSP).

Penn wins by TKO in 3rd round.

Lets look at this seriously for a second.

BJ has dismantled the LW division and hasn't lost at 155lb in 7 years.

His only loss in this division was a decision he lost to Jens Pulver when

Jens was in his prime! Jens in his prime destroys KenFlo!

The only time we have seen Penn look remotely overwhelmed is against

fighters who are much larger than him. He is a warrior who goes out and

challenges his skills and does not play it safe in any circumstance. That

alone is admirable.

BJ is always looking to finish fights and just because GSP was able to beat

him doesn't mean he isn't still P4P best LW in the world!

I don't care if KenFlo has been training with GSP for decades this fight is going to be

short and sweet and Kenny is going to be overwhelmed by BJ who will under no circumstance

take this fight lightly. BJ knows people think he got smashed by GSP and he is going to show

everyone that no one is going to take the LW belt from him anytime soon!

alone is admirable.

I don't care if KenFlo has been training with GSP for decades this fight is going to be

short and sweet and Kenny is going to be overwhelmed by BJ who will under no circumstance

take this fight lightly. BJ knows people think he got smashed by GSP and he is going to show

Amen.

I believe that kenflo has the advantage in the cardio department. Ground game goes to bj no doubt. Stand up is quite a toss up. But i give the slight edge to kenflo. I believe this fight will be decided who will last longer. BJ believes he is god in the LW division so he is looking past Kenflo right now. So he won't train that hard. Well in his last fight he look past GSP and just took his training for granted and as we all know he got his **** handed to him. So if this fight goes the distance kenflo will have the advantage. Kenflo has more to prove than BJ does. He's been waiting very long to get a chance to fight for the title and he won't let this slip. He got the lesson he needs to take the belt in his last chance against shierk and i believe he's ready and ripe for an upset. This fight will be long I predict this will be a UD going to florian

cant stand Penn, so I am rooting for Florian. Not going to be easy, but I think he can win. If you ask me to bet, would bet with my heart just so I wasnt torn during the fight. lol

man I'm really lookin forward to this fight...Kenny has come so far since Diego worked him over in the TUF finale but BJ seems amped like he was for the Sherk fight which could be VERY bad news for Kenny...either way, two of my favorite fighters going at it for a title is always a blast so lets hope for some fireworks in this one

alone is admirable.

What he said!

I think BJ wins this one in the second or third by a sub or TKO, but I don't think Kenny will be an easy opponent for him. Some people seem to think BJ is just going to walk through Kenny, but Florian is a damn good fighter. He has great striking skills and better cardio than BJ, and he always fights smart. BJ is not going to be able to make many mistakes in this one if he wants to keep his belt.

Basically it comes down to the same things being repeated, everybody thinks that BJs cardio is lacking and that the tempo set by the opponent will tire him out. Kenflo is a damn good fighter but I can't see him winning unless he gets a split decision. The talk about BJ looking past Kenflo couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion. I think the loss to GSP lit a fire under his ****. Kenflo won't be able to overpower Penn in any aspect and BJ will bring it to a stop by the end of the third with either a submission or tko. I just think this fights gonna end up like his last three with in the division. The doubts about him being cardio ready, the talk about the opponent being too fast, kind of rehashing the exact same things said for Pulver, who got demolished, Stevenson, who got demolished, and Sherk, you know the rest.

You know, initially I felt that BJ would destroy KenFlo, but now that I've had time to think about it, I'm not so sure about it now. I think BJ is going to try and finish it early and make an example of Kenny. If it goes into the later rounds (the champ rounds) my money would most likely be on Kenny. KenFlo is tough, lets make no mistake about it.

The funny thing is, they are both equally well rounded. I think BJ is all around better, but I'm not counting out Florian.

Overall, my money is on BJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if Florian gets a decision win.

I've gone for BJ by decision, used that as my prediction on mmahotshot.com

I know it's a shameless plug but just helping a mate get a really good idea off the ground, will need some help from some of you here to make it interesting :P

I've given this a lot of thought now.....BJ will win....100% guaranteed.....

From what I've seen lately about BJ's training, he aint gonna fade in the 4th and 5th rounds....that means Kenny is in for a world of hurt...

A lot of people like to talk about BJ's cardio but I don't see it being an issue in this fight. I think BJ's wrestling will be the key to victory. His ability to take Kenflo down and stuff his takedown attempts will win him this fight. Kenny's strenghts are his ju-jitsu and muay thai but it seems to me that BJ's boxing and ju-jitsu are just on another level compared to Florian.

I also think a lot of people are undervaluing BJ due to the GSP fight. Georges had an excellent gameplan in that fight that he executed perfectly. Unless Kenny has some kind of master gameplan he's working on, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, I see BJ pretty much dominating.