Sign in to follow this  
lightknightpete

Safety first?

Hi community. My friends and I are organizing an event..ufc inspired mma fights. The question is..what rules should we change to make things safer as we dont have the resources at ringside the ufc does. So far ive removed elbows from anywhere or knees to the head. Also our ref would be alot quicker to stop a GnP due to not wanting to have someone hit someone 100 times before we actually knock each other out. Waiting for someone to actually go out to amatuer strikes could mean ALOT of blows. I understand that the ufc does not support this endeavor and this is merely common man feedback.

Sorry for double Posting..my phone wont let get but so much in one message. By resources i mean cutmen..full medical staff and emergency facilities. We will have two trained first responders on hand..so we have something..but we also all have day jobs to return to. And a general consensus that our wives all want us to keep our teeth(mouthguards ftw!) ohh yeah..thanks in advance.

My advice, don't do it. This is a sport that involves violence, whichever way you do it and whatever rules you change, how you going to stop anyone getting hurt? Knockouts etc hold hidden danger like concussion which a first responder might not spot...this could go on all night about the risks you are taking, good luck if you go through with it but I wouldn't.

My advice' date=' don't do it. This is a sport that involves violence, whichever way you do it and whatever rules you change, how you going to stop anyone getting hurt? Knockouts etc hold hidden danger like concussion which a first responder might not spot...this could go on all night about the risks you are taking, good luck if you go through with it but I wouldn't.[/quote']

I agree with this. It sounds a little too much like Fight Club to me. If you guys want to fight so much, just join a gym where you can spar, or even better a gym that puts on its own little shows for friends and family.

This reminds me of the start of "Backyard wrestling", the further you get into it the easier it will feel. So you'll start doing things that your considered to dangerous before until (and it will happen) someone gets really hurt.

I see where your coming from it sounds like a really neat idea and it's great that you are really making a conscious effort in the safety department. Besides just a backyard sparing session with gloves and head gear I would take into the gym.

But this is just my opinion which you asked for, if you decide to do it make sure your safe and have fun :P

check out the rules in sanchow its pretty much like kickboxing with takedowns,they just dont go onto fighting on the ground its judged with a 2 five point must system half on the standup and half on the takedowns, usually for amatures knee's and elbow's are a conditional option if both fighters agree

Good luck you crazy people, but always better in the ring that out, take me on out the ring and ill kick you in the nuts, step on your foot, push you over and rain elbows into your face, either that or ill run like a ***** :)

The reason we are doing this in this fashion is because there are no gyms to go to..and we realize the risk involved..thats why we have gloves ..medical staff(albiet small) and are pooling rules. Thank you all for the replies. This is..in the end..competitive sparring rather than fighting. Thanks again for the input..feel free to continue contribution.

here is another fun one for sparring, do three rounds, round 1 hands only, round 2 legs only, round 3 hands and legs. Its one ive used before, depending on the techniques your training it allows you to work things a little separately before putting it all together. But i guess for mma you could add a round of takedowns before the final all goes round. Hope this helps for some ideas.

been there..done that. there is a difference in sparring and fighting for survival. I am amazed noone here competes..or even supports the art thereof.

Huh? We all support the art, just not in a back yard with your only safety precaution being a first aider! How did you figure that none of us compete?

because everyone keeps telling me not to. Most competitors in a given sport encourage others..after all. And there is a huge difference in someone fresh out of high school healthclass first aid and a paramedic level first responder