Sign in to follow this  
PakaL

Favorite Authors

H.G Wells is 1 of my favorite book writers from PRISON guards abusing powers to futuristic stories ahead of there time.my favorite book of his is THE shape of THINGS to COME...Anyone else read any of his books?Maybe even have a suggestion on other gr8 authors ahead of there time?

I love Carl Hiaasen and John Grisham books. I know they're not ahead of their time but write engaging characters that you invest in very quickly. My favourite book of all time is Youth In Revolt by C.D. Payne. The authors name should give you a clue. It's about the attempted sexual awakening of a socially awkward teen, written in diary form. Some of the situations that arrive are hilarious. Special mention goes to Robert Kirkman, Bill Willingham and especially Garth Ennis. All 3 are comic book writers, a much maligned medium, but can add emotional depth to their characters. Preacher by Garth Ennis is a seminal read.

Fedor Dostoevsky and Charles Bukowski are the only authors that have inspired me.

Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky

Ham on Rye - Bukowski

That's all you need...

Stephen King:)

If you like Stephen King, you should check out a British author called James Herbert, a horror writer that King has often recommended. The Rats,The Fog and Fluke are classics from the 70's that haven't really dated badly.

If you like Stephen King' date=' you should check out a British author called James Herbert, a horror writer that King has often recommended. The Rats,The Fog and Fluke are classics from the 70's that haven't really dated badly.[/quote']

Check this site out you may find some interesting authors not known to you yet.And i have a few potential reads put up i have to look into let you know how it goes...http://www.thefreelibrary.com/literature.aspx

If you like Stephen King' date=' you should check out a British author called James Herbert, a horror writer that King has often recommended. The Rats,The Fog and Fluke are classics from the 70's that haven't really dated badly.[/quote']

Lol i like stories like the ones he does...

H.G. Wells was really ahead of his time. I read The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by him, and they were pretty neat. George Orwell with 1984 and Animal Farm. Aldous Huxley with Brave New World. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes was great. Of course Tolkien with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Frank Herbert with Dune. Neil Gaiman with Neverwhere- that one was really cool. I just read a book called Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, and that was a really good horror novel. And I'm reading a fantasy novel called Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny right now, and it's really good too.

H.G. Wells was really ahead of his time. I read The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by him' date=' and they were pretty neat. George Orwell with 1984 and Animal Farm. Aldous Huxley with Brave New World. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes was great. Of course Tolkien with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Frank Herbert with Dune. Neil Gaiman with Neverwhere- that one was really cool. I just read a book called Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, and that was a really good horror novel. And I'm reading a fantasy novel called Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny right now, and it's really good too.[/quote']

I think I read a comic book adaptation of Neverwhere. Is that the story with London Above or am I confused?

H.G. Wells was really ahead of his time. I read The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by him' date=' and they were pretty neat. George Orwell with 1984 and Animal Farm. Aldous Huxley with Brave New World. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes was great. Of course Tolkien with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Frank Herbert with Dune. Neil Gaiman with Neverwhere- that one was really cool. I just read a book called Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, and that was a really good horror novel. And I'm reading a fantasy novel called Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny right now, and it's really good too.[/quote']

If you liked the others by wells you got to read THE SHAPE of THINGS to COME it is out of this world.The hobbits rock imo

I think I read a comic book adaptation of Neverwhere. Is that the story with London Above or am I confused?

Yes, that's the one. Gaiman also did a lot of graphic novels about a character called The Sandman that are worth checking out.

If you liked the others by wells you got to read THE SHAPE of THINGS to COME it is out of this world.The hobbits rock imo

Thanx, I haven't heard of that one I'll have to check it out.

ALEKSANDR I. SOLZHENITSYN - Author of "The Gulag Archipelago"

Stephen Hunter - Author of such works including, "The Master Sniper" (most of his books deal with snipers). I like his books because he's very accurate when describing real combat situations and his attention to firearms details are second to none.

J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord Of The Rings series

C.S. Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia (although he wrote several other books)

Lloyd Alexander - The Prydain Chronicles

H.P. Lovecraft - He wrote several books and numerous poems, but what he's most famous for is for scaring the crap out of people before it was cool. Creator of the creature "Cthulhu".

P.J. O'Rourke - Various political writings. Proved you can be conservative and still have a sense of humor.

Barry Sadler - Author of the "Casca Series"

C.S. Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia (although he wrote several other books)

Lloyd Alexander - The Prydain Chronicles

I forgot about those! I loved all of those! Taran and Eilonwy and the Horned King and the Cauldron Born- the Prydain books were great! And I always used to try to go through the back of my closet when I was little hoping it was magical like the wardrobe. I wanted to go to Narnia so bad! :) I loved the one called The Horse and His Boy- I don't remember which number it was, but I think it was near the end. :)

I forgot about those! I loved all of those! Taran and Eilonwy and the Horned King and the Cauldron Born- the Prydain books were great! And I always used to try to go through the back of my closet when I was little hoping it was magical like the wardrobe. I wanted to go to Narnia so bad! :) I loved the one called The Horse and His Boy- I don't remember which number it was' date=' but I think it was near the end. :)[/quote']

I have a very old boxset which came out shortly after all the books were released... something that happens when you grow up with packrat parents.

I believe The Horse and His Boy was the 5th book in the series. I enjoyed that one too.

Yes' date=' that's the one. Gaiman also did a lot of graphic novels about a character called The Sandman that are worth checking out.[/quote']

I've read the Sandman collection and am about to start the Lucifer spin off. I AM COMIC BOOK GEEK! Whew, feels good to get that off my chest!

I forgot to add ALAN MOORE to my list.

Author of some of the greatest graphic novels of all time including, Watchmen, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (far better than the movie), V For Vendetta, and I believe he did a Batman novel as well.

I forgot to add ALAN MOORE to my list.

Author of some of the greatest graphic novels of all time including' date=' Watchmen, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (far better than the movie), V For Vendetta, and I believe he did a Batman novel as well.[/quote']

As a sit typing this i am surrounded by Saga of The Swamp Thing, which is considered as the pioneering adult comic. For a great take on Superhero culture, check out Supreme, or Stormwatch which leads into the Authority by Moore.

read up on douglas adams, ira levin, and michael chrichton. all very different stylistically but all among the best. Douglas Adams will really have you LOL'ing.

lloyd alexander r.a. salvatore johnathan kellerman are definatly my three biggest. dan brown is good..and a warfiction novelist ive really got into recently is david l robbins..you should check out his war of the rats if you like sniper books. (proper puncuation and capitalization just dont work on phones..cut me some slack)

Philip Carlo' date=' he writes documentaries, which is the only thing I really read. You should check out "Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer".[/quote']I actually saw his interview on TV and all those who get caught are not worth the time to read about.The 1s worth reading about never get caught thus you never know they existed anyway.But like i said the best of the best in the criminal world never get caught.

Philip Carlo' date=' he writes documentaries, which is the only thing I really read. You should check out "Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer".[/quote']

I tried to buy that online at Christmas..... Sold out!!! Gutted!!! I take it, it was good? :o)

Tolstoi, Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami, Tolkien, Dostoievski, Salinger, Borges, Vargas Llosa, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Saramago, P.K D ick , Stephen King has some great novels, Ken Follet (dont like his thrillers, but i loved "The pillars of the Earth) and so many more.

For those who like fantasy novels, they should check Ursula Le Guin, specially the Earthsea saga, which has a very original take on magic.

Although i dont read comics, i think Alan Moore is incredible. Watchmen is just superb.

Tolstoi' date=' Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami, Tolkien, Dostoievski, Salinger, Borges, Vargas Llosa, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Saramago, P.K D ick , Stephen King has some great novels, Ken Follet (dont like his thrillers, but i loved "The pillars of the Earth) and so many more.

For those who like fantasy novels, they should check Ursula Le Guin, specially the Earthsea saga, which has a very original take on magic.

Although i dont read comics, i think Alan Moore is incredible. Watchmen is just superb.[/quote']

I read the Pillars of the Earth this summer and I liked it too. I've been meaning to get to Le Guin's novels.

Ello my Lovely!!! What can I say??? I must be using the right deodrant and toothpaste???

lmao

BOOK - Bartley Gorman - bareknuckle fighter. For anybody interested in history like that. UK history too.

BOOK - The Alchemist

AUTHOR - Bruce Lee, George Orwell.

Man I can't think, sorry - I sound very limited.

Ello Minstrel.... You miss me then???

You're damn right I did. ;)

Tolstoi' date=' Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami, Tolkien, Dostoievski, Salinger, Borges, Vargas Llosa, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Saramago, P.K D ick , Stephen King has some great novels, Ken Follet (dont like his thrillers, but i loved "The pillars of the Earth) and so many more.

Although i dont read comics, i think Alan Moore is incredible. Watchmen is just superb.[/quote']

Excellent list sir. I have read a number of Ken Follett books and I do agree that Pillars Of The Earth is my favorite. I believe Watchmen was the first book that I, personally, ever purchased. Now I have to deal with people always wanting to borrow it!

Ello my Lovely!!! What can I say??? I must be using the right deodrant and toothpaste???

I think more along the lines of, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". ;)

Excellent list sir. I have read a number of Ken Follett books and I do agree that Pillars Of The Earth is my favorite. I believe Watchmen was the first book that I' date=' personally, ever purchased. Now I have to deal with people always wanting to borrow it![/quote']

Ive got a copy of watchmen, and all my friends are wanting to borrow it as well. Also have a copy of The return of the dark knight, another superb comic by Moore (dont confuse this with the movie, cause it has nothing to do with it).

As far as Ken Follet goes, ive been trying to get an english copy of World Without End, which is the sequel to Pillars, but had some problems with it. I?ll probably have to ask a bookstore to get it for me, but is it any good?

Ive got a copy of watchmen' date=' and all my friends are wanting to borrow it as well. Also have a copy of The return of the dark knight, another superb comic by Moore (dont confuse this with the movie, cause it has nothing to do with it).

As far as Ken Follet goes, ive been trying to get an english copy of World Without End, which is the sequel to Pillars, but had some problems with it. I?ll probably have to ask a bookstore to get it for me, but is it any good?[/quote']

I have a hard cover copy of it sitting on my coffee table as we speak. I have yet to start reading it. I've heard it is quite good, but I have yet to start reading it.

I just ordered a few books from Stephen Hunter (if you like action books) and from Barry Sadler (a dip in the wallet, but well worth it). Sadler's Casca series is long out of print, but is well worth the read.

Have you guys read any of Jim Butcher's Dresden novels? Modern fantasy stuff with a lot of good action and well written. The first in the series is called Stormfront.

I have a hard cover copy of it sitting on my coffee table as we speak. I have yet to start reading it. I've heard it is quite good' date=' but I have yet to start reading it.

I just ordered a few books from Stephen Hunter (if you like action books) and from Barry Sadler (a dip in the wallet, but well worth it). Sadler's Casca series is long out of print, but is well worth the read.[/quote']

Yeah, i was thinking of ordering some of Stephen Hunter?s books while i was at it. Ever since i saw the movie shooter I wanted to get my hand on some of his books. The thing is i have to make a special order, cause i like reading the books in its original language if im able to and those books dont usually come over here in english.

I never read anything about Sadler, so im going to check up a bit on him and maybe if i can i?ll throw one with that special order im planning.

Yeah' date=' i was thinking of ordering some of Stephen Hunter?s books while i was at it. Ever since i saw the movie shooter I wanted to get my hand on some of his books. The thing is i have to make a special order, cause i like reading the books in its original language if im able to and those books dont usually come over here in english.

I never read anything about Sadler, so im going to check up a bit on him and maybe if i can i?ll throw one with that special order im planning.[/quote']

Stephen Hunter is excellent. I would suggest starting with his book "The Master Sniper" and going from there. Other good books from him include, "Hot Springs" "Dirty White Boys" "Black Light" "Time To Hunt" (I'm posting them in the order of the timelines which exist in the books). If you really want to check them out for yourself I would suggest going to Amazon.com for the definitive list.

Barry Sadler (aka the guy who wrote the Green Beret song) wrote a series of books about a character called Casca, a Roman soldier who supposedly pierced Christ in the side when he was on the cross. He is doomed to roam the Earth as an eternal mercenary. The books are not written in chronological order. Sadler wrote the bulk of the series (although rumor has it that ghost writers wrote the books from 12-21). Some guy wrote books 23-24 (I do not recommend you start with these). A fan of the series (Brit-born Tony Roberts) picked up the series and is currently working on book 32.

As mentioned Sadler's books are hard to find. I had to special order his books through Amazon from various bookstores around the US because the books are long out of print (with the exception of the newer volumes).

You should read the "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien Its awesome!! It explains a lot about where the races and creatures of Middle Earth came from.

Stephen Hunter is excellent. I would suggest starting with his book "The Master Sniper" and going from there. Other good books from him include' date=' "Hot Springs" "Dirty White Boys" "Black Light" "Time To Hunt" (I'm posting them in the order of the timelines which exist in the books). If you really want to check them out for yourself I would suggest going to Amazon.com for the definitive list.

Barry Sadler (aka the guy who wrote the Green Beret song) wrote a series of books about a character called Casca, a Roman soldier who supposedly pierced Christ in the side when he was on the cross. He is doomed to roam the Earth as an eternal mercenary. The books are not written in chronological order. Sadler wrote the bulk of the series (although rumor has it that ghost writers wrote the books from 12-21). Some guy wrote books 23-24 (I do not recommend you start with these). A fan of the series (Brit-born Tony Roberts) picked up the series and is currently working on book 32.

As mentioned Sadler's books are hard to find. I had to special order his books through Amazon from various bookstores around the US because the books are long out of print (with the exception of the newer volumes).[/quote']

Ok, ill try getting my hand on some of those. Sadlers books seems pretty intersting. Ill have a hard time getting them here, cause we actually have some problems with amazon atm.

You should read the "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien Its awesome!! It explains a lot about where the races and creatures of Middle Earth came from.

The Silmarillion is an exelent book. Its plain genius. A great combination of short stories. Reading that and then re-reading LOTR was incredible. All of it makes much more sense and it gives more depth to all of the characters in LOTR. The only bad thing about it is that tolkien didnt write all of it. I think his son was the one who put it together and actually made some changes here and there.

*Spoiler Alert*

The first part where it tells how the world was created by music was just mindblowing. Probably my favourite fantasy book.

Have you guys read any of Jim Butcher's Dresden novels? Modern fantasy stuff with a lot of good action and well written. The first in the series is called Stormfront.

Never heard of him. Going to do some research and if it sounds interesting I?ll try to get it as well.

Ok' date=' ill try getting my hand on some of those. Sadlers books seems pretty intersting. Ill have a hard time getting them here, cause we actually have some problems with amazon atm.

[/quote']

You don't have to use Amazon, as I don't use them all the time, but I like going there to research books and movies that I'm interested in. Its a good place to check out brief synopsis of said books.

I've been meaning to get a copy of that and read it. I started it once but I guess I was too young and I couldn't get into it- I was expecting it to be more like the Lord of The Rings in style. Maybe that will be my next book to read. :)

You don't have to use Amazon' date=' as I don't use them all the time, but I like going there to research books and movies that I'm interested in. Its a good place to check out brief synopsis of said books.[/quote']

Yeah, but those books are imposible to get here in Argentina, and even worst if i want them in english, so Amazon was usually my safest bet. I just usually get a bunch of books i want and get special order them from a bookstore or something like that. It?s a real pain....

I've been meaning to get a copy of that and read it. I started it once but I guess I was too young and I couldn't get into it- I was expecting it to be more like the Lord of The Rings in style. Maybe that will be my next book to read. :)

I have an old copy of the Silmarillion on paperback. I'm with you, I tried reading it a while back and I had a hard time. Maybe if I give it another shot I might prove more successful.