Sign in to follow this  
junbo79

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Reveals An ?Alliance? With DREAM

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=4559

A day after the announcement that Strikeforce had inked a deal with Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 Global, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker talked on The Carmichael Dave Show, on Sports Radio 1140, about an ?alliance? being struck with the DREAM organization in Japan today.

InsideFights.com stated on their website that the details of the deal would be announced today in Japan.

Sources have confirmed to Inside Fights that Strikeforce and DREAM will announce a partnership tomorrow in Japan. The nature of the partnership is being kept under wraps, but it?s likely that DREAM will want to use new Strikeforce signee Fedor Emelianenko.

Strikeforce has aligned with just about everybody that is not associated with UFC. Interested to see how this shapes up in the coming months.

Neither Dream nor Strikeforce is going anywhere... Competing orgs are needed in any sport for the players and the spectators. Scott Coker is a smart businessman and he knows how to run his business. Yes he has a different business plan compared to the UFC but he has been successful doing it and I see Strikeforce as legit competition to the UFC in a few years time.

Neither Dream nor Strikeforce is going anywhere... Competing orgs are needed in any sport for the players and the spectators. Scott Coker is a smart businessman and he knows how to run his business. Yes he has a different business plan compared to the UFC but he has been successful doing it and I see Strikeforce as legit competition to the UFC in a few years time.

As much as I don't like it, I see exactly what you're saying and I have to agree with you. Still, I can "dream" that they'll go down in flames. I personally don't like Scott Coker, but whatever. M-1 Global is still a blood-sucking vulture getting a free ride on someone else's dime.

As much as I don't like it' date=' I see exactly what you're saying and I have to agree with you. Still, I can "dream" that they'll go down in flames. I personally don't like Scott Coker, but whatever. M-1 Global is still a blood-sucking vulture getting a free ride on someone else's dime.[/quote']

I dont care for M1, they are a one trick pony. What are they without Fedor? Fedor prolly has 5-6 more good years left and then what?

I dont care for M1' date=' they are a one trick pony. What are they without Fedor? Fedor prolly has 5-6 more good years left and then what?[/quote']

In 5-6 years when Fedor decides to retire, M-1 will have plenty of money acquired to do whatever else they would like to do.

In 5-6 years when Fedor decides to retire' date=' M-1 will have plenty of money acquired to do whatever else they would like to do.[/quote']

They will have some money sure but you think Fedor can make them that much money? Fedor is know to hardcore MMA fans but to the average fan he is just another fighter. Brock is more well known than Fedor is and is certainly more marketable.

They will have some money sure but you think Fedor can make them that much money? Fedor is know to hardcore MMA fans but to the average fan he is just another fighter. Brock is more well known than Fedor is and is certainly more marketable.

Yeah, you make a good point. There's a possibility that M-1 could get Chapter 11'd along with the other orgs.

I think it could be a good move on the part of Dream. It will get their fighters in front of MMA fans in the US. Not to mention that both promotions are small when compaired to the UFC, so by joining together like this they help their chances of staying aflot long enough to gain new fighters and promote their existing talent to the fullest.

Smart business move, but whether or not it works remains to be seen

Dana White does not come across as a bright intelligent promoter...

Why? Because he just missed out on a "Fedor deal" that would have "cemented" UFC as the only fight-organisation on earth. Now, Strikeforce and M1-global may have stopped that!!

Dana White does not come across as a bright intelligent promoter...

Why? Because he just missed out on a "Fedor deal" that would have "cemented" UFC as the only fight-organisation on earth. Now' date=' Strikeforce and M1-global may have stopped that!![/quote']

This is just not right IMO.

Even with Fedor, the UFC will never be the only promotion. There are a lot of talented fighters all over the world in various promotions and thats the way it will always be. I do think the UFC has the best crop of talent and the most money behind it but it will never be the sole spot for MMA

And just so you know, in Japan..PRIDE was and Dream IS bigger than the UFC. At least for now.

All Scott Coker has to do is start paying the MMA fighters like boxers. The UFC fighters will leave as soon as their contracts are completed. The UFC pays these guys crap, that is the reason they need to come into the ring wearing sandwich boards hawking everything from Bud Light to Joe's Diner. Management should get a percentage of the fighters take not the bulk of it as it is in the UFC.

All Scott Coker has to do is start paying the MMA fighters like boxers. The UFC fighters will leave as soon as their contracts are completed. The UFC pays these guys crap' date=' that is the reason they need to come into the ring wearing sandwich boards hawking everything from Bud Light to Joe's Diner. [b']Management should get a percentage of the fighters take not the bulk of it as it is in the UFC[/b].

UFC fighters get paid crap? Says who? You? This is a ridiculous statement. A number of fighters no longer have to work a job while they fight. Many of them train full-time. That must mean that they earn enough to live on. Zuffa has been known to pay whatever medical expenses aren't covered by a fighter's insurance. Fighters get bonuses and sponsorships and endorsements. I bet if you asked a UFC fighter if he enjoyed his job, 99.9% of them would say yes. Thats what really matters.

Very few boxers make "the big time". Very few make the millions that you must be thinking of.

Dana White has stated publicly that he hates managers, but ultimately its none of his business how much a manager gets from his fighter. Thats between the fighter and his manager.

Dream and strikeforce still have some of my fav. fighters and imo top level fighters... Aoki... Mousasi... both fighters who have the skills to rule there weight division... so to me they are legit competition to the UFC... but seriously i can care less about who there competing with as long as im seeing great fights come together i can really care less..

It sounds like a better world for mma, it makes sence for this to be happening, i read the link you posted about the PRIDE buy out and how itl never happen again with another company, im still not sure exactly why, is it because the ufc failed to continue the fights under the pride name/ or at all in japan, or the fact that someone else had a controling stake in the Dream holdings co. Its a little confusing, if anyone can shed some light on the subject. Please do

This is obvious yet it is great at the same time. Look at the various divisions and compare them talent for talent with the UFC.

At LW Aoki, Hansen, Alvarez, Cavalcante, Thompson, Milendez, Kawajiri, and i could go on. right now, as we sit Dream and Strikeforce have a better combined LW division than the UFC. At WW it is very close, too. With Diaz Hieron, shields, the guy that won the dream tourney who's name is slipping my mind, not to mention Mach Sakurai. GSP has cleaned out the UFC. He would be better challenged in Dream/Strikeforce. Middleweights aren't quite there but they aren't bad by any means. jacare, filho, manhoef, lawler, and others that they could potentially land like Lindland and Santiago. At LHW they aren't there yet either but Feijou, Mousasi, Babalu, Whitehead and some emerging talents are a good start. With the best HW in the world and a few guys to match him with they have the potential to make great headway in the next year or two and if they pick up the odd free agent here and there and develop talent like they have with the Dream tourneys than they could easily be viable competition if they market themselves properly. They have a better TV deal than either Zuffa company as we sit. It may take a year or two but competition is coming. If Fedor on Network TV happens than Strikeforce and Dream could potentially make the gains to compete.

This is obvious yet it is great at the same time. Look at the various divisions and compare them talent for talent with the UFC.

At LW Aoki' date=' Hansen, Alvarez, Cavalcante, Thompson, Milendez, Kawajiri, and i could go on. right now, as we sit Dream and Strikeforce have a better combined LW division than the UFC. At WW it is very close, too. With Diaz Hieron, shields, the guy that won the dream tourney who's name is slipping my mind, not to mention Mach Sakurai. GSP has cleaned out the UFC. He would be better challenged in Dream/Strikeforce. Middleweights aren't quite there but they aren't bad by any means. jacare, filho, manhoef, lawler, and others that they could potentially land like Lindland and Santiago. At LHW they aren't there yet either but Feijou, Mousasi, Babalu, Whitehead and some emerging talents are a good start. With the best HW in the world and a few guys to match him with they have the potential to make great headway in the next year or two and if they pick up the odd free agent here and there and develop talent like they have with the Dream tourneys than they could easily be viable competition if they market themselves properly. They have a better TV deal than either Zuffa company as we sit. It may take a year or two but competition is coming. If Fedor on Network TV happens than Strikeforce and Dream could potentially make the gains to compete.[/quote']

i wish i knew more about mma, good post ill be checking a few out, checkout my thred on monopoly this is where i was heading with that :)

At LW Aoki' date=' Hansen, Alvarez, Cavalcante, Thompson, Milendez, Kawajiri, and i could go on. right now, as we sit Dream and Strikeforce have a better combined LW division than the UFC. At WW it is very close, too. With Diaz Hieron, shields, the guy that won the dream tourney who's name is slipping my mind, not to mention Mach Sakurai. GSP has cleaned out the UFC. He would be better challenged in Dream/Strikeforce. Middleweights aren't quite there but they aren't bad by any means. jacare, filho, manhoef, lawler, and others that they could potentially land like Lindland and Santiago. At LHW they aren't there yet either but Feijou, Mousasi, Babalu, Whitehead and some emerging talents are a good start. With the best HW in the world and a few guys to match him with they have the potential to make great headway in the next year or two and if they pick up the odd free agent here and there and develop talent like they have with the Dream tourneys than they could easily be viable competition if they market themselves properly. They have a better TV deal than either Zuffa company as we sit. It may take a year or two but competition is coming. If Fedor on Network TV happens than Strikeforce and Dream could potentially make the gains to compete.[/quote']

There are some definite great matchups at all weight classes now with this ability to co-promote. I can definately say that the LW division is much more competitive than the UFC. HW I think is pretty even. WW actually looks pretty fun with the Dream/Strikeforce lineup. Of course, they are lacking GSP, so all the haters will say how crappy it is. And the guy you are thinking of that won the WW tourney was Zaromskis. He had a great showing and really surprised me that he won the tourney. The guy is gonna have a bright future and those kicks are killer! That was one of the nastiest head kick knockouts I've seen. I thought he killed the guy. Sakurai was such a dissapointment though, the guy came in totaly unprepared.

Anyways, I don't really care about them competing with the UFC. Just keep getting new talent and putting on good cards and I could care less. The only merger I really want is a World Victory Road/Dream. The two rosters combined would be scary and would hopefully rebuild the fanbase in Japan.

Its as I said in a previous Fedor post Co promotion is necessary to get the fights people wanna see, as the sport grows more I'm sure this will become more apparent.

As Strikeforce and alliances get more tv coverage around the globe and if they co promote then organisations in various countries will want some of the action. Both strikeforce and Dream have some good fighters so things can only get better for them in my opinion in a growing sport.

I saw some strikeforce matches on extreme channel here in uk the other day and thought it was good, although not the same without Bruce Buffer introducing the matches, no other announcer sounds quite good enough after Bruce :) It was fun to watch Frank Shamrock fight though after all these years (haven't seen him since his ufc days).

Fedor and m1 Global have definitely sent a message to the ufc that will have Dana looking over his shoulder in the future I think.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9288&zoneid=2

Halfway around the globe, Dream is expected to announce an ?alliance? with Strikeforce, the result of a longstanding relationship between Scott Coker and the Japanese promotion.

The Strikeforce CEO has maintained a good relationship with promoter Kazuyoshi Ishii from Dream parent company Fight Entertainment Group, whom he worked with for eight years as the U.S. promoter of K-1 kickboxing. The alliance formalizes that relationship.

In a Tuesday interview with MMAWeekly.com, Coker likened the deal to post-season baseball where teams of different leagues face off, pairing better players against one another.

?At the beginning of this MMA relationship, we had talked about having Dream fighters come over, and our fighters go over there, and having this relationship,? Coker told MMAWeekly.com. ?Well, we all got busy and we never really had the opportunity when they wanted Jake (Shields) to fight over there and when we wanted (Shinya) Aoki, he was scheduled to fight. Now we?re going to be able to put those dream fights together."

The talent exchange between the promotions will be exclusive.

?If we want to get Japanese fighters, we would work exclusively with Dream, and Dream would work exclusively with us, and M-1 as well," said Coker. "M-1 will be part of this too.?

He said Mitsuhiro Ishida, who first fought for Strikeforce last September and will rematch Gilbert Melendez after lightweight champion Josh Thomson withdrew due to injury, was the first commitment to the new deal.

Future fights he looked forward to seeing included Fedor Emelianenko vs. Sergei Kharitonov, Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef, and the American debut of Shinya Aoki (asked how Aoki would do without his trademark pants, Coker said, ?that?s a good question. People are going to have to tune in to Showtime to find out?).

The new alliance does not, however, entail any fiscal commitment from either side, nor is it related to the closing on Sunday of a deal between Emelianenko, M-1 Global, and Strikeforce, Coker said. Despite a well-placed source outside Strikeforce who on Monday said the Japanese promotion had helped bridge the financial gap between Emelianenko?s asking price and Strikeforce?s offer, Coker said the two are unrelated.

?This is a deal that I?ve wanted to make happen where we could start utilizing the fighters and having a good relationship with Dream,? he said. ?So I?ve been working on this for a while, and it just happened to come down at the same time as the announcement.

?Now that the Fedor announcement is out there, we said, ?let?s go make this Dream thing happen.'?

Prized acquisition Emelianenko has stated his desire to fight on New Year?s Eve in Japan once again, and while Coker said, ?the door is open,? he hadn?t discussed the possibility with Dream reps. For now, the top-ranked heavyweight?s Strikeforce debut is confirmed for a Showtime broadcast in the fall, presumably in October, where Coker said his opponent remains TBA.

As for the multitude of other fights possible with the alliance, Coker said it was a good time to be an MMA fan.

?I think it?s important, because as a fan, I think they?re going to get some amazing fights that would not happen if the alliance wasn?t created,? he said.

I read your post and had to look up the fighters at LW - based on the following list I am not convinced that Dream/Strikeforce has a better LW division than the UFC.

UFC LW Div (not ranking the fighters this is just a list)

1. BJ Penn

2. Kenny Florian

3. Diego Sanchez

4. Sean Sherk

5. Joe Stevenson

6. Frank Edgar

7. Tyson Griffin

8. Clay Guida

9. Nate Diaz

10. Jim Miller

11. Hermes Franca

12. Spencer Fisher

13. Roger Huerta

14. Mac Danzig

15. Josh Neer

16. Kurt Pellegrino

Dream/Strikeforce LW Div

1. Shinya Aoki

2. Gesias Calvancante

3. Joachim Hansen

4. Eddie Alvarez

5. Hayato Sakurai

6. Josh Thomson

7. Gilbert Melendez

8. Mitsuhiro Ishida

9. Gomi

10. Kid Yamamoto

11. Kawajiri

At WW - I am a big Nick Diaz fan but there is no way Diaz breaks the top 5 at WW in the UFC (and I am being very generous here), and much respect to Jay Hieron but he is, at best, not even in the top 10. THE WW division outside the UFC is just not good - no challenge for GSP at WW in Dream/Strikeforce.

Middleweight - Jacare is good but Filho??? come on. He was good at one point but not anymore. Not a top 10 guy. Manhoef, again big fan but he runs hot and cold, no consistency, no ground game. Lawler - maybe. Lindland - is he even fighting anymore?

LHW - Babalu is good but you cant build a div around him, Mousasi IMO has to fight better competition before I draw a conclusion, and Mike Whitehead??? are you serious?

At HW - They have Fedor, Rodgers, Overeem, Werdum...

UFC has - Brock, Randy, Noguiera, Mir, CroCop, Cheik Kongo, Herring, Velasquez, Carwin, Gonzaga, Hardonk...

I read your post and had to look up the fighters at LW - based on the following list I am not convinced that Dream/Strikeforce has a better LW division than the UFC.

UFC LW Div (not ranking the fighters this is just a list)

1. BJ Penn

2. Kenny Florian

3. Diego Sanchez

4. Sean Sherk

5. Joe Stevenson

6. Frank Edgar

7. Tyson Griffin

8. Clay Guida

9. Nate Diaz

10. Jim Miller

11. Hermes Franca

12. Spencer Fisher

13. Roger Huerta

14. Mac Danzig

15. Josh Neer

16. Kurt Pellegrino

Dream/Strikeforce LW Div

1. Shinya Aoki

2. Gesias Calvancante

3. Joachim Hansen

4. Eddie Alvarez

5. Hayato Sakurai

6. Josh Thomson

7. Gilbert Melendez

8. Mitsuhiro Ishida

9. Gomi

10. Kid Yamamoto

11. Kawajiri

At WW - I am a big Nick Diaz fan but there is no way Diaz breaks the top 5 at WW in the UFC (and I am being very generous here)' date=' and much respect to Jay Hieron but he is, at best, not even in the top 10. THE WW division outside the UFC is just not good - no challenge for GSP at WW in Dream/Strikeforce.

Middleweight - Jacare is good but Filho??? come on. He was good at one point but not anymore. Not a top 10 guy. Manhoef, again big fan but he runs hot and cold, no consistency, no ground game. Lawler - maybe. Lindland - is he even fighting anymore?

LHW - Babalu is good but you cant build a div around him, Mousasi IMO has to fight better competition before I draw a conclusion, and Mike Whitehead??? are you serious?

At HW - They have Fedor, Rodgers, Overeem, Werdum...

UFC has - Brock, Randy, Noguiera, Mir, CroCop, Cheik Kongo, Herring, Velasquez, Carwin, Gonzaga, Hardonk...[/quote']

Man, I have been wanting to put that together since Barnett and the domino effect started. Thanks for looking all that up, I was having a hard time finding accurate rosters.

The only way for this to work for them is if it happens immediately and it's contractually as near to permanent as you can get without one buying out the other.

I want them to join forces, it will be big and it will make their divisions relevant. As pointed out above its hard to argue the UFC talent pool, event Strikeforce/Dream combined still can't compete, but it is a great alternative.

It will be tough though unless one buys the other. They will both be wanting to put on the best cards for both of their events and neither of them will totally have their way on how that will unfold.

Could be a mess, could be a match made in heaven. Didn't know it till the second article I posted how close of a tie Coker has to DREAM/Fight Entertainment.

This was certainly no surprise as we all know Scott used to run the US side of K1 for 8 years' date=' which is owned by the same owners as Dream...[/quote']

Shows what I know. I don't know how I missed the fact that Dream and K-1 are the same

Shows what I know. I don't know how I missed the fact that Dream and K-1 are the same

The parent co. to Dream and K-1 is Fight Entertainment Group, the promoter for FEG is Kazuyoshi Ishii. Scott Coker, the head of Strikeforce worked as the promoter for US K-1 under Ishii.

So now there are the 3 amigos' date=' M-1, Dream, and StrikeForce merging into one entity? Sounds interesting, now Dana won't have to wait for all three of them to fall, it'll be one big bang.[/quote']

I dont think they are merging into one entity, its an alliance between them, a co-promotion, they will still retain their separate identities.