Sign in to follow this  
Exodus9mm

Open Weight Grand Prix - UFC

Being a huge fan of Pride, I certainly miss the tournament formats they had going. Anyone else feel the same? I for one, would love if the UFC opened their format up a bit and brought in something like an Open Weight challenge. I don't think it can happen due to Athletic Commission regulations, but hey. If not open weight, at least bring in some weight-class tournaments to mix things up a bit. Who's with me?

Being a huge fan of Pride' date=' I certainly miss the tournament formats they had going. Anyone else feel the same? I for one, would love if the UFC opened their format up a bit and brought in something like an Open Weight challenge. I don't think it can happen due to Athletic Commission regulations, but hey. If not open weight, at least bring in some weight-class tournaments to mix things up a bit. Who's with me?[/quote']

A resounding YES!

Being a huge fan of Pride' date=' I certainly miss the tournament formats they had going. Anyone else feel the same? I for one, would love if the UFC opened their format up a bit and brought in something like an Open Weight challenge. I don't think it can happen due to Athletic Commission regulations, but hey. If not open weight, at least bring in some weight-class tournaments to mix things up a bit. Who's with me?[/quote']

that would be awesome and make things a little more exciting

As far as rules go, the UFC can get away with almost anything in Japan or need be another country. But making most of the fighters lose in one night and potentially get a superstar hurt thats why it will never happen. They can't even get the legitimate contender in 205 to fight the champion!

Word....

MMA, seems to be getting too nancified and regulated. I want to see 170 pounders square off with 380 lard asses, ala UFC 1-3. Those were the days.

Exodus9mm-While I hear where you are coming from & even agree to a point, you hit it on the head. Athletic commision(s) would never allow it. It has been a constant "ice skating up hill" endevor for UFC and other promotions to shed the "Human c)ck fighting" label it was so ignorantly give & turn mma into a "legitimate sport" in the eyes of law makers and so on. An open weight tourny, while insanely entertaining, at this point would only hurt the sport as a whole here in the states. The weight class tourny idea you mentioned has a whole lot of merrit, though & I think would be an excellent year end type event to determine the next contender for a shot at each classes title in the next year. Well done.

Exodus9mm-While I hear where you are coming from & even agree to a point' date=' you hit it on the head. Athletic commision(s) would never allow it. It has been a constant "ice skating up hill" endevor for UFC and other promotions to shed the "Human c)ck fighting" label it was so ignorantly give & turn mma into a "legitimate sport" in the eyes of law makers and so on. An open weight tourny, while insanely entertaining, at this point would only hurt the sport as a whole here in the states. The weight class tourny idea you mentioned has a whole lot of merrit, though & I think would be an excellent year end type event to determine the next contender for a shot at each classes title in the next year. Well done.[/quote']

Yeah, I know it's highly illogical at this point (OWGP), and would likely cause more harm than good. Being an old fan, I miss some of the good old days! Yeah, Pride had an open weight tourney, but also weightclass specific tourneys - which could fly with the AC.