Sign in to follow this  
MattN

Where are the real kungfu masters?

Maybe I watched too many kungfu movies, but I'm talking about Shaolin monks' Wushu. They invented martial art (not sure, but one of the earliest). They began training before they're 6 year old and throughout their lives. They can take so much more punishment than average people, and dish out tons more. Their training routine is insane, it's inhuman. I believed they are the best unarmed combatants in the world. Free style brawlers won't stand a chance. Too bad, they never fight for money. So when you say someone is the best fighter in the world, let me remind you that the world is a big place.

Also, I saw on discovery channel, a 59 year old 9th degree black belt karate master in Japan, he punches a big block of rock everyday as a routine. He said he can break your sternum and stop your heart with 1 punch.

But what are the chances that these masters will fight in a cage for money?

In response to the doubters:

Here's a little video about shaolin monks routine.

Here's the full version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psx70YE6O7c

The famous 1 finger stand

I believed they can probably clean the light and middle weight divisions pretty easy. These people train only 1 thing their entire lives.

zero chance' date=' because they're all too busy getting submitted in amateur fights[/quote']

haha, yeah. None of these "Kung-fu masters" can live up to the legend. When it comes to unarmed combat, no one beats an MMA fighter, who trains in nothing but unarmed combat. Sure the Shaolin monk might beat a Maori Warrior, but if he ever stepped inside the Octagon he'd have another thing coming.

Maybe I watched too many kungfu movies' date=' but I'm talking about Shaolin monks' Wushu. They invented martial art (not sure, but one of the earliest). They began training before they're 6 year old and throughout their lives. They can take so much more punishment than average people, and dish out tons more. Their training routine is insane, it's inhuman. I believed they are the best unarmed combatants in the world. Free style brawlers won't stand a chance. Too bad, they never fight for money. So when you say someone is the best fighter in the world, let me remind you that the world is a big place.

Also, I saw on discovery channel, a 59 year old 9th degree black belt karate master in Japan, he punches a big block of rock everyday as a routine. He said he can break your sternum and stop your heart with 1 punch.

But what are the chances that these masters will fight in a cage for money?[/quote']

Maybe I watched too many kungfu movies...Yep

59 year old 9th degree punches rocks and claims he can kill a bear with just one punch. Yeah the mysterious Dim Mak technique that no one ever uses because it too dangerous.

Ever heard of David Copperfield. It's an illusion and a gimmick. Im sure there are some masters out there that are pretty decent fighters but most of them are just showmen.

I also saw a show on discovery where a guy was knocking people unconcious with a chi ball aimed at certain pressure points. I $hit you not he claimed he could KO people without touching them. When investigators came to disprove the claim, guess what? It didn't work on the them and he had quite a few excuses why it didn't.

On of the investigators was a psychiatrist IIRC and his theory was the guy was using hypnotism. If they believed it could work it did. The power of the mind is truly amazing.

First - i'm a big MMA fan, and i have trained in MMA for years. However, i have also studied several classical martial arts. What you people here seem to be forgetting is that MMA is a sport - with rules, weight classess, etc. IT IS NOT REAL FIGHTING OR EVEN CLOSE TO IT.

I live in Ireland, and one thing the travelling people like to see is big muscled young guys wearing MMA tops. They love baiting them and provoking them, then beating the crap out of them. How? Because the guys in MMA have an awfull habit of thinking that what they do is real fighting. Yeah, hold onto some guy on the floor of a bar for a couple of minutes trying to pull off an arm bar - that'll just get you a broken glass in the kidneys from one of his mates, while the others kick you in the head.

Now in a sporting environment (i.e. the cage) and under the rules, i would'nt fancy my chances with any top MMA guy. But in the street outside, i'd fear none. The lack of respect you show to the classical arts is just a indication of the arrogance rising through MMA today. It was never there at the beginning, without weight classess and less rules - it was a little more 'real' and the competitors were fighters testing themselves in a controlled situation. But now its all about athletes and bravado - the best athlete wins probably 8 out of every 10 fights these days, skill has been pushed to second place.

MMA is a great sport, i love it, but respect the origins of it and either show some respect to the real martial artists or just stay in your sport, but realise that it is just and only that - a sport.

First - i'm a big MMA fan' date=' and i have trained in MMA for years. However, i have also studied several classical martial arts. What you people here seem to be forgetting is that MMA is a sport - with rules, weight classess, etc. IT IS NOT REAL FIGHTING OR EVEN CLOSE TO IT.

I live in Ireland, and one thing the travelling people like to see is big muscled young guys wearing MMA tops. They love baiting them and provoking them, then beating the crap out of them. How? Because the guys in MMA have an awfull habit of thinking that what they do is real fighting. Yeah, hold onto some guy on the floor of a bar for a couple of minutes trying to pull off an arm bar - that'll just get you a broken glass in the kidneys from one of his mates, while the others kick you in the head.

Now in a sporting environment (i.e. the cage) and under the rules, i would'nt fancy my chances with any top MMA guy. But in the street outside, i'd fear none. The lack of respect you show to the classical arts is just a indication of the arrogance rising through MMA today. It was never there at the beginning, without weight classess and less rules - it was a little more 'real' and the competitors were fighters testing themselves in a controlled situation. But now its all about athletes and bravado - the best athlete wins probably 8 out of every 10 fights these days, skill has been pushed to second place.

MMA is a great sport, i love it, but respect the origins of it and either show some respect to the real martial artists or just stay in your sport, but realise that it is just and only that - a sport.[/quote']

Well done. Respect every man. Fear none. Words to live by.

Yup, too many movies....

Breaking boards and rocks with one blow might be good and all, but they put so much concertration and energy on that one blow that it would never work in a MMA fight when things happen very fast. And besides, what are they gonna do once they get taken down and their distance is taken away?

zero chance' date=' because they're all too busy getting submitted in amateur fights[/quote']

haha' date=' yeah. None of these "Kung-fu masters" can live up to the legend. When it comes to unarmed combat, no one beats an MMA fighter, who trains in [i']nothing but[/i] unarmed combat. Sure the Shaolin monk might beat a Maori Warrior, but if he ever stepped inside the Octagon he'd have another thing coming.

Maybe I watched too many kungfu movies...Yep

59 year old 9th degree punches rocks and claims he can kill a bear with just one punch. Yeah the mysterious Dim Mak technique that no one ever uses because it too dangerous.

Ever heard of David Copperfield. It's an illusion and a gimmick. Im sure there are some masters out there that are pretty decent fighters but most of them are just showmen.

I also saw a show on discovery where a guy was knocking people unconcious with a chi ball aimed at certain pressure points. I $hit you not he claimed he could KO people without touching them. When investigators came to disprove the claim' date=' guess what? It didn't work on the them and he had quite a few excuses why it didn't.

On of the investigators was a psychiatrist IIRC and his theory was the guy was using hypnotism. If they believed it could work it did. The power of the mind is truly amazing.[/quote']

The above have been watching to much mma :)

First - i'm a big MMA fan' date=' and i have trained in MMA for years. However, i have also studied several classical martial arts. What you people here seem to be forgetting is that MMA is a sport - with rules, weight classess, etc. IT IS NOT REAL FIGHTING OR EVEN CLOSE TO IT.

MMA is a great sport, i love it, but respect the origins of it and either show some respect to the real martial artists or just stay in your sport, but realise that it is just and only that - a sport.[/quote']

well put big chops, i can only say this, rules baby rules, and the fact that the worlds best martial artists dont see a reason to prove themselves to retards and pissheads, even in recent history, the Japenese Ninjitsu master would take challenge fights for the audience of the Emporer of Japan, In these fights a majority of the time he would kill his opponent at the will of the Emporer. If his opponent was a well respected martial artist he would spare their life. It was reported that he had killed over a hundred people, nowadays the current Ninjitsu master only takes challengers who can get past his students, this has never happened. Unfortunately the era of challenge fighting is coming to an end, due to law and litigation, but remember their was a time when, if you thought you were the best, you could challenge a master and lose your life over your own big head. I struggle to see how people can disrespect the classical martial arts, still its your loss, not mine.

I have seen a guy suffer a heart attack from receiving a one inch punch in a demonstraition. Dont for a minute think that people at this leval cant hit harder if they want to. A strike like that to the throat would be fatal

I train in MMA too and no I totally agree with everything you said and have tons of respect for traditional martial arts. In a streetfight where anything goes it's usually a very bad idea to take a fight to the ground when weapons, biting, eyegouges, throat and groin attacks, multiple attackers etc.is involved. If a mixed martial artist doesn't understand this they could likely get killed. I was only saying there are plenty of showmen in traditional martial arts.

I'd have to see proof of that 1 inch punch or I call ********.

BigChops post was way out there. LOL @ people not having skill simply because they're more athletic.

I'd hate to see anyone in a street fight witn, say, anderson silva. Dude would probably knock the average person out in 1 punch with no problem. I think you fail to realize not everyone carries a knife on them and not all fights happen in a bar with 20 of someone's homeboys around.

I'd have to see proof of that 1 inch punch or I call ********.

BigChops post was way out there. LOL @ people not having skill simply because they're more athletic.

I'd hate to see anyone in a street fight witn' date=' say, anderson silva. Dude would probably knock the average person out in 1 punch with no problem. I think you fail to realize not everyone carries a knife on them and not all fights happen in a bar with 20 of someone's homeboys around.[/quote']

im guessing your in america, seek out a legitamate demonstraition, from guys with proper lineage, you wont have and doubts after getting hit. Respect has a lot to do with it, respect for others and respect for yourself. When a 5'5 60kilo chinaman sends you across the room, you still may not have respect for yourself, but you will be in pain.

Anderson silva wouldn't get in street fights you tool, dont even entertain the idea. As for weapons plenty of people carry them, have them in their cars. Ive seen swords pulled in fights/ road rage. Stop playing undisputed and get with the real world

MMA is a great sport, i love it, but respect the origins of it and either show some respect to the real martial artists or sport, but realise that it is just and only that - a sport.[/quote']

i really disagree. you are talkin about jumping people. anyone who would jump someone is a punk. ive been training in kickboxing for a few years and have no doubt i would destroy any bar room brawler "1 on 1" in a bar fight. a sport by definition is anything people do competitively thats why golf fits in there. you are saying most martial arts are a dance and arent practical. get into a bar fight fight with a boxer or kick boxer or a wrestler. youll be eating your words and the floor. youre saying you think you could hold your own in a street fight against a trained fighter. i got into this for self defense and am proud of the fact i have never have to use it outside of the gym i workout at. i would only be in danger if a bunch of idiots decided to stab me in the kidneys with a broken bottle and kick me in the face at the same time. sorry you struck a nerve.

i really disagree. you are talkin about jumping people. anyone who would jump someone is a punk. ive been training in kickboxing for a few years and have no doubt i would destroy any bar room brawler "1 on 1" in a bar fight. a sport by definition is anything people do competitively thats why golf fits in there. you are saying most martial arts are a dance and arent practical. get into a bar fight fight with a boxer or kick boxer or a wrestler. youll be eating your words and the floor. youre saying you think you could hold your own in a street fight against a trained fighter. i got into this for self defense and am proud of the fact i have never have to use it outside of the gym i workout at. i would only be in danger if a bunch of idiots decided to stab me in the kidneys with a broken bottle and kick me in the face at the same time. sorry you struck a nerve.

Watch some of Paul Vunak's stuff on Kina Mutai on youtube and see if going to the ground is such a good idea even in a one on one with no weapons. Sure you can do the same but it's just not a good idea against someone with the mentality to bite your face off or gouge your eye out. Atleast certain positions I would avoid.

Im no martial arts student, nor MMA... but i like watching mma fights. but how can you disrespect martial arts, like Kung Fu for example, its been here alot more than MMA, Kung Fu is a way of life, just like Karate, JJ and other disciplines. You cant just say this guy is the best, cos he fights in the Cage for 5000 bucks...come on.... alot of these fighters fight just for money, cos they have no education, and this is the thing they can do. Remember the early UFC,,,nobody knew nothing,,,except for some wrestlers...Gracie jj were successful, cos they neutralise the bad standup..... nowdays real martial arts guys are coming in to MMA. Its a very new sport...

Anderson Silva,,,,Machida,, Bj Penn, are examples of REAL martial artists, they dont do it so much for the money, but for the sport, to develop and provail.

If you think there are no Kung Fu, Karate, etc fighters out there who couldnt kick **** in UFC you are dreaming man! big time.

even golf has rules no? i'll back the fact that boxers usually do the best in pub fights' date=' as their is little room to move, plus one good hit is all it takes, with most people anyways.

Wing_Chun

I have a question for you. What are your thoughts on Bruce Lee?

I love what Bruce Lee acomplished in his life and have commented in the Bruce Lee threads, you will find most of my thoughts in their. More simply put i have many thoughts on Bruce Lee. Do you have any direct questions? Perhaps we should move it to the outside the ufc bit or im happy to jump in chat bit with ya, let me know

MMA is superior to these forms..because it is all these forms put together. The muay thai knees mixed with the karate kicks mixed with the boxing punches..its ALL martial arts evolved into one package..its adaptation and improvement to them. MMA in a street fight is much more effective then say a random martial art ..jeet kun do or tae kwon do. There is a reason police and military train in MMA..because its far superior to karate. to say one martial art is superior to another is just good conversation... to say one is better then itself fused with all others is ignorance. Remember what MMA stands for.

I love what Bruce Lee acomplished in his life and have commented in the Bruce Lee threads' date=' you will find most of my thoughts in their. More simply put i have many thoughts on Bruce Lee. Do you have any direct questions? Perhaps we should move it to the outside the ufc bit or im happy to jump in chat bit with ya, let me know[/quote']

My point was that although Bruce came from a traditional wing chun gung fu background and respected it he stripped away the mystic and mcdojo mentality of some of the less practical things and evolved. He actually despised some the technical aspects and claims of traditional martial arts and was more concerned with fixing the flaws he saw rather than blindly following tradition.

He pretty much was the first advocate of you better be able to do it all and you better be a supreme athelete and always questioning the impractical and constantly evolving. He was far closer to modern MMA with no rules than he was traditional martial arts although he still respected them.

all im trying to say is other than some lunatic whos going to rip my eyes out, bite my cheek off or stab me i feel pretty confident.i only got into my sport because of my upbringing. i just wanted to hurt people. i thought it was bs that martial arts mellowed people out. its definitely not. i havent been in a fight since. my kids will for sure be into some form of martial art. i have only met good people at my gym. the confidence you gain from it carries with you every where you go. anyone who actually trains will most likely agree.

The above have been watching to much mma :)

well put big chops' date=' i can only say this, rules baby rules, and the fact that the worlds best martial artists dont see a reason to prove themselves to retards and pissheads, even in recent history, the Japenese Ninjitsu master would take challenge fights for the audience of the Emporer of Japan, In these fights a majority of the time he would kill his opponent at the will of the Emporer. If his opponent was a well respected martial artist he would spare their life. It was reported that he had killed over a hundred people, nowadays the current Ninjitsu master only takes challengers who can get past his students, this has never happened. Unfortunately the era of challenge fighting is coming to an end, due to law and litigation, but remember their was a time when, if you thought you were the best, you could challenge a master and lose your life over your own big head. I struggle to see how people can disrespect the classical martial arts, still its your loss, not mine.

I have seen a guy suffer a heart attack from receiving a one inch punch in a demonstraition. Dont for a minute think that people at this leval cant hit harder if they want to. A strike like that to the throat would be fatal[/quote']

Bruce lee was the last i know of who challenged and beat many masters!Besides that greed is not in a true martial artists ideal of life.And to show off or be the BEST so to say for amusement purposes would more than likely not be in the most important thing to do list for them aswell lol americans can sometimes show just how ignorant that the fast food society realy is...Instant gratification is not martial arts in anyway yet it is being turned into SPORT not self defence.For a purpose based on greed and showboating with bragging rights not self preservation.

MMA is superior to these forms..because it is all these forms put together. The muay thai knees mixed with the karate kicks mixed with the boxing punches..its ALL martial arts evolved into one package..its adaptation and improvement to them. MMA in a street fight is much more effective then say a random martial art ..jeet kun do or tae kwon do. There is a reason police and military train in MMA..because its far superior to karate. to say one martial art is superior to another is just good conversation... to say one is better then itself fused with all others is ignorance. Remember what MMA stands for.

That is a remarkably foolish position. The sport does not allow certain techniques because of the terrible injuries they cause. Small-joint manipulation, when expertly performed, is the most dangerous offense, and the way to beat larger men.

I know a dude who is barely 100 pounds who I wouldn't give Lesnar much of a chance against. MMA is a sport. Love it, but don't confuse it with real fighting.

Of course, you're better off with MMA than without it, but if you're up against somebody who really knows a small-joint style and you don't 1 punch KO him, you're dead, basically. Or at least facing pain you didn't know was possible to experience.

I'd rather have bagua or ninpo taijutsu in a real fight than a UFC belt.

im guessing your in america' date=' seek out a legitamate demonstraition, from guys with proper lineage, you wont have and doubts after getting hit. Respect has a lot to do with it, respect for others and respect for yourself. When a 5'5 60kilo chinaman sends you across the room, you still may not have respect for yourself, but you will be in pain.

Anderson silva wouldn't get in street fights you tool, dont even entertain the idea. As for weapons plenty of people carry them, have them in their cars. Ive seen swords pulled in fights/ road rage. Stop playing undisputed and get with the real world[/quote']

LOL @ "flying across the room. Maybe I'll stop playing Undisputed when you stop watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

My point wasnt that Anderson would be ina street fight, lop. My point was if somebody highly trained like him was, he'd win. Dude said all that MMA s**t doesnt work in a street fight but a dangerous striker like that would easily whoop **** in a street fight. Believe it or not, I know people who have pulled swords out in street fights but that's 1/1,000,000, dude, lets be realistic.

Sports science proved: Muay Thai flying knee > Kung Fu thrust punch. So if anyone needs to get back to the real world, it's you.

An MMA fighter trains in all arts and almost always has blackbelts in 1-3 arts. They are also ex military, police officers, or have had some discipline and career in their lives.

Kung-Fu masters, i have watched carefully since 1994. They never rose above amatuer. All of these kung-fu masters just dont have the skillset to handle different situations in hand-to-hand combat. The weapons are outdated and based primarily on keeping tradition otherwise they would not still be teaching students how to use a rake and a **!e- which are farming tools. The art is not mystical, it just found ways to prey on people for money and fame. Im sure their is a Kung-fu master who can punch thru 6 inches of wood somewhere in the world. Put him in the ring and he will be submitted before he can get his stance and breathing right. MMA +1 Kung-Fu +0 I mean, would you prefer being a Kung-fu master or a black belt in BJJ and Muay Thai and know several other arts? Do the math

A streetfighter is a piece of sh!t off the...street. No discpline, no balance, no accuracy. No honor. He will attack you with weapons. You treat them not with MMA skills but the same way police officers do. They want to get violent and attack you with a weapon, you pull out yours and kill them where the stand. They obviously arent going to fight you with any rules or hand-to-hand. In the USA people who have lives and see punks everyday carry handguns to blow these guys away when they think they can beat you with a bat. MMA +1Streetfighter +0 I mean, if they did decide to fight you without weapons they would be laying on the ground f#$ked up beyond recognition. So mma beats any streetfighter anytime.

LOL @ "flying across the room. Maybe I'll stop playing Undisputed when you stop watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

My point wasnt that Anderson would be ina street fight' date=' lop. My point was if somebody highly trained like him was, he'd win. Dude said all that MMA s**t doesnt work in a street fight but a dangerous striker like that would easily whoop **** in a street fight. Believe it or not, I know people who have pulled swords out in street fights but that's 1/1,000,000, dude, lets be realistic.

Sports science proved: Muay Thai flying knee > Kung Fu thrust punch. So if anyone needs to get back to the real world, it's you.[/quote']

Shame you're using perhaps the best MMA fighter in the wprld as your example ... come on mate, that's a given. Muay Thai knee vs Kung Fu thrust punch? Why would you compare these 2? Can you really justify comparing a knee to a punch ... and being gratified that the knee is deadlier? ... just another given to me.

For the dude, who said that MMA is the combination of martial arts and therefore better ... I just think it's like jack of all trades but master of none. (not that that's entirely accurate because I value mma highly) - like a boxer is a specialist with his hands, but you'll rarely find an mma fighter as skilled as a master boxer. So trying to consider that a mma fighter can outwrestle a wrestler, outbox a boxer, out kick a kicker ... it doesn't work like that, but it does allow you he option to choose different ways of attack and more opportunity in theory to win.

It's so funny the amount of people who clearly don't want to know about MA, because MMA is MMA. On 1 inch punches, i've also felt a palm strike to the chest from my Wing Tsun insructor (Wing Chun but a branch-off - mainly European branch I think) - and a downward elbow from close quarters, like a downward scrape AND butting elbow.

I'd say the butting elbow is fairly impractical unless it's an inbuilt response and you take the time to make it effective. The scraping elbows really do damage even at the low pace of beginner training.

The palm strike to the chest (relevant to 1 inch punch) I felt inside my body like a shock, but i'm not the biggest or stockiest guy - so I made sure I took notice when other's had it showed to them. Nobody ever claimed to not feel what they could do.

My point is, that this is martial arts, which I haven't even gone into any lifestyle etc i've just tried to keep it closer to the subject. I just don't know where you get these ideas that martial arts are useless in street fights (or real fights). I've seen some of the nastiest last option moves (gouging, elbow breaks, leg joint breaks) in a chinese art known as mainly standup but adaptable art. That has an age many centuries older than MMA and you're gonna tell me that you're gonna KO or GnP most street fighters?

It's like a child that can't respect the parent - he hasn't grown enough to be able to cross the generation gap.

In my opinion, if you're going to learn a traditional martial art and expect to be exceptional at it, you need to go to the source of that Martial Art and train there with a reputable master/sensei. I will never learn Karate from a 40-50 something year old white guy with a huge beer gut. Self discipline, my ****.

When I took Hapkido years back I had the blessed opportunity to learn it from a Korean in Korea. That guy was a serious master. He wasn't about flashy moves. He taught me one important thing... its not really what you do, its how you get the job done. Who cares aout a flashy spin kick when I can lock onto your arm, bring you to the ground, and slam an elbow into your throat?

Always be prepared I say. Martial Arts is great, up until the point where you've got multiple attackers. At that point I throw MA out the window, pull my Glock, and send em to the morgue.

im guessing your in america' date=' seek out a legitamate demonstraition, from guys with proper lineage, you wont have and doubts after getting hit. Respect has a lot to do with it, respect for others and respect for yourself. When a 5'5 60kilo chinaman sends you across the room, you still may not have respect for yourself, but you will be in pain.

Anderson silva wouldn't get in street fights you tool, dont even entertain the idea. As for weapons plenty of people carry them, have them in their cars. Ive seen swords pulled in fights/ road rage. Stop playing undisputed and get with the real world[/quote']

So no you're not just disputing the guy's who say MMA would be more effective in a streetfight than a traditional MA but also Newton and the laws of physics? Always nice to know that the side arguing against you has to resend(?) to arguments like that to try to prove their point...

This thread is getting really funny now as all these types of theory threads do.

The only thing further I have to add is everyone had a valid point in someway or another

and the truth lies somewhere in between.

You simply wouldn't see "Real" Shaolin monks fighting in tournaments like the UFC...

They are Buddhists and they are not interested in fighting for money.

I watched a documentary of those bastards and their training and I tell you what, you wouldn't wanna fudge with them on the street. They have body conditioning second to none but a lot of their strengths would be neturalised in a cage.

I couldn't see Kung Fu working too well in MMA... It is an awkward martial art which doesn't involve a hell of a lot of grappling. It would be interesting to see Masters from all different martial arts compete... Who wants to see saggy ball sack fights though?

Maybe I watched too many kungfu movies' date=' but I'm talking about Shaolin monks' Wushu. They invented martial art (not sure, but one of the earliest). They began training before they're 6 year old and throughout their lives. They can take so much more punishment than average people, and dish out tons more. Their training routine is insane, it's inhuman. I believed they are the best unarmed combatants in the world. Free style brawlers won't stand a chance. Too bad, they never fight for money. So when you say someone is the best fighter in the world, let me remind you that the world is a big place.

But what are the chances that these masters will fight in a cage for money?[/quote']

dude... you been watching too many Jackie Chan movies.... a martial arts master could never beat a mixed martial artist..

This thread is getting really funny now as all these types of theory threads do.

The only thing further I have to add is everyone had a valid point in someway or another

and the truth lies somewhere in between.

dude... you been watching too many Jackie Chan movies.... a martial arts master could never beat a mixed martial artist..

This kind of thought was exactly what I was talking about in my last post above.

You know who's wins in one on one unarmed combat. The person that applies what they learned effeciently and incapacitates, disables or kills the other person first. Doesn't matter which art it comes from or how many arts they know.

This kind of thought was exactly was I was talking about in my last post about above.

You know who's wins in one on one unarmed combat. The person that applies what they learned effeciently and incapacitates' date=' disables or kills the other person first. Doesn't matter

which art it comes from.[/quote']

Well said good sir.

Shame you're using perhaps the best MMA fighter in the wprld as your example ... come on mate' date=' that's a given. Muay Thai knee vs Kung Fu thrust punch? Why would you compare these 2? Can you really justify comparing a knee to a punch ... and being gratified that the knee is deadlier? ... just another given to me.

[/quote']

OK. Cheick Kongo, Mirko Cro Cop, Nate Marquardt, Lyoto Machida, Rampage I can go on down the list of good strikers that would knock a random guy on the street right the f*** out. Shall I?

This dude is trying to tell me a 150lbs china man can send me flying across the room with a 1 inch punch and you're arguing with me? lmfao. He said it. I was trying to imply that, what most MMA fighters train in for striking (muay thai) has already been proven the most effect hand to hand combat (and most powerful over taekwondo, kung fu and boxing). A muay thai flying knee lands with the force of a sledgehammer and this guy is telling me a 1 inch punch would send me "flying across the room". lol. Please read the whole thread before you jump in arguing my point when you have no idea what I was arguing to begin with.

OK. Cheick Kongo' date=' Mirko Cro Cop, Nate Marquardt, Lyoto Machida, Rampage I can go on down the list of good strikers that would knock a random guy on the street right the f*** out. Shall I?

This dude is trying to tell me a 150lbs china man can send me flying across the room with a 1 inch punch and you're arguing with me? lmfao. He said it. I was trying to imply that, what most MMA fighters train in for striking (muay thai) has already been proven the most effect hand to hand combat. A muay thai flying knee lands with the force of a sledgehammer and this guy is telling me a 1 inch punch would send me "flying across the room". lol. Please read the whole thread before you jump in arguing my point when you have no idea what I was arguing to begin with.[/quote']

Well at leased you have me and Isaac Newton on your side... :)

Let's not forget that BJJ was first developed by Gracie to combat bigger, stronger, and armed combatants in the street fights of Brazil, and he never lost one. Muay Thai, Kung Fu, Karate, all of the traditional martial arts were developed to give the unarmed peasants a method to fight armed soldiers. Bruce Lee to me is the true father of MMA. He learned many different styles of traditional Martial Arts and incorporated them all, including jiu jitsu because he knew the likelihood of a street fight going to the ground, into Jeet Kun Do and was probably the most deadly unarmed man on the planet. He said himself after a demonstration of his famed 2 inch punch that it was impractical and not likely to be used in a real fight as was most of the forms of traditional martial arts. A drunk jerkoff with a knife would not stand a snowballs chance against a well trained MMA fighter. How do you stab someone with a broken arm or neck?

Simple physics lesson here. 600 lbs of force impacting a 200 lb man will push said man 3X as far as the stroke of the impact. The whole flying across the room deal is a fallacy, but the sudden shift in center of gravity, even if it is just 6 inches, is what causes the man to fall, not fly backward. Watch Bruce Lee's demos. Nobody flies anywhere from that punch.

A drunk jerkoff with a knife would not stand a snowballs chance against a well trained MMA fighter. How do you stab someone with a broken arm or neck?

I respectfully disagree.

I have a brownbelt in BJJ and I train in MMA and I've also dabbled in some traditional martial arts ( I have friends with various martial arts backgrounds and we share techniques etc. ) and the last thing I would do is grapple against a knife. Way too dangerous even against unskilled opponents.

Here's a little practical test if you don't believe it's not such a good idea. Go get a friend any friend will do. Give them a sharpie marker and tell them they must put as many marks on your body and arms before you submit them and they have to do it like thier life depends on them marking you. It can't be staged but really sparring to mark you up. I guarantee you'll not be markless after. Imagine if they were slashing your arms or face in the real situation. You'd be much better off striking thier arm "Defanging the snake" instead of grapping with it getting bitten and losing alot of blood. Ever notice how alot of demos on disarming people tend to stab with large movements. Im sorry but the reality on the street is slashes and you'll never catch one of those. Sure you can block it but that's not too good either. Maybe you will eventually get them but it's also highly possible you'll be maimed or even killed before then.

Trust me It's just really not a good idea. I have a friend that has the scars to prove it.

Simple physics lesson here. 600 lbs of force impacting a 200 lb man will push said man 3X as far as the stroke of the impact. The whole flying across the room deal is a fallacy' date=' but the sudden shift in center of gravity, even if it is just 6 inches, is what causes the man to fall, not fly backward. Watch Bruce Lee's demos. Nobody flies anywhere from that punch.[/quote']

I hope you aren't arguing with me because you're pretty much just verifying my point.

I'm sure he was' date=' too. I'm just verifying is all. Part of it seemed like he was agreeing, part seemed like it was debating my 600lbs of force thing.[/quote']

You was wrong chi defies your silly physics...chi won't let a silly thing like facts get in the way.:rolleyes:

Eh' date=' all this talk about punching power is worthless compared to a well-placed .45cal slug. ;)[/quote']

Bruce Leeroy can catch bullets with his teeth.

I don't know which way is up on this thread anymore! It's a very interesting thought though, and one which has crossed my mind on occasion. One of the main differences, as I see it, is that MMA has developed as a sport, which would have practical value in the outside world in nailing someone one on one. A 'strict' art like Karate for instance, would have value in dealing with a situation in the outside world, possibly more efficiently, eg you tend not to go to the ground, leaving yourself less open to a kick in the head from the dudes buddy who you haven't seen coming back from the bar. It's more of a react, respond, get out of dodge thing. As a sport, it won't contend with the variation of MMA in the octagon/ring. One thing, though - a lot of arts, like Karate have changed their style in the last ten years eg hand positions for striking, becoming more freestyle, so I think the value of MMA is recognised, and being acted upon. I have always been a little sceptical of things like the 1" punch though - I think they're more for display than 'real' world fighting.