Sign in to follow this  
Shed1

UFC needs a new weight class

Having Lesnar throw around Mir like Raggedy Ann isn't fun to watch. The difference from light heavyweight to heavyweight is way too big. I also think that the heavyweight should be unlimited. I know people don't want to see huge fat blobs out there but you wouldn't unless they were good enough to beat Lesnar and the other top heavyweights. I wouldn't mind watching someone who weighs 285 lbs. throwing hands with Lesnar. What do people think?

Having Lesnar throw around Mir like Raggedy Ann isn't fun to watch. The difference from light heavyweight to heavyweight is way too big. I also think that the heavyweight should be unlimited. I know people don't want to see huge fat blobs out there but you wouldn't unless they were good enough to beat Lesnar and the other top heavyweights. I wouldn't mind watching someone who weighs 285 lbs. throwing hands with Lesnar. What do people think?

You're going to get flamed and everyones going to be like "PHAIL" because I agree, there are 9,000 posts already about this... BUT, you cannot deny that he's right, it should be a smart move to weigh in at the top weight class.. This leaves a ton of people to float in a weight class limbo between 205 and 265, I think they should make 240? 235?

Lesnar would KILL 285 pounders because he is faster and quicker so no ur an idiot

Someone has his build and could beat him up, do you think he's like a Predator and **** and can go invisible and has special guns? wtf people get out of your imaginary world.

You do have a point in the fact that with limited mma skills he plows through seasoned well rounded heavyweights at the moment based on his sheer size and power. Maybe you are talking a super heavyweight division, created solely because of Brock? Then again who would he fight, Haystack Calhoon?

if there were more quality fighters the size of lesnar, i could see them making a super heavyweight division or whatever from like 250 and above. but until there are more fighters that size it wont happen

Lesnar would KILL 285 pounders because he is faster and quicker so no ur an idiot

Royce Gracie.... nuff said it isn't gunna take a guy weighing pound for pound up to brock someone will catch him.... time will tell hes human.. There is always someone out there to beat you even if its that one time outa 10 or ex- Frank mir

if there were more quality fighters the size of lesnar' date=' i could see them making a super heavyweight division or whatever from like 250 and above. but until there are more fighters that size it wont happen[/quote']

Hey I got an idea! Lets go raid the WWE and TNA so we can have more heavies in the UFC for Lesnar to fight against! We can call it the IAC (inbread assclowns) division.

I see your point but theres just not enough good fighters that are that heavy. Brock would be basically alone in a 265+ class. Besides, Hes such a bad loser that the next time he losses a fight he will proubly just say the fight was BS and quit.(wishfull thinking I guess)

The problem that I have with the Super Heavyweight division is that there would be currently not enough fighters in this division of sufficient quality. Who that is top class would be in this division - Carwin, Lesnar, who else??? This would leave Lesnar to fight a bunch of fat bums.

I am all for a super HW division at 245+, this puts Brock, Carwin, Velasques(?), Grimm Rogers, Barnett, Fedor, Sylvia, all in there. Granted most of these guys are way past their prime and all but there are plenty of guys out there who would fight in this division and would all but eliminate the advantage these huge guys have over smaller heavyweights and bring it back to a test of true skill rather than brute force. How many fighters are out there that can't fight in the UFC because they can't cut to 265?

Except lesnar is the only really big heavyweight right now, although he could fight himself i guess.

Oh Lesnar's beating lesnar with some ground and pound!

Oh good leg kick by Lesnar!

Oh Lesnar got lesnar in the corner! Ooooohhh Lesnar knocks out Lesnar for the Finsh!!!

you dumb @ss, you contradict yourself, you say there is too much weight difference in the heavy weight div. and then you say that the super heavy weight class should be unlimited weight, you know if that happens then theres going to be the same problem, some enormous 800lbs fat guy will come along and sit on lesnar and then we'll have another 200 of these boring posts.:mad:loser-forehead.jpg

loads of folk on here seem 2 think it's unfair that brock is bigger and stronger than everyone else in HW division. that's bull****. He makes the weight like everyone else does. Just because he is physically gifted, and unbelievably quick and agile for his size is'nt his fault!

It's up to the rest of the Heavyweights to raise the bar, bulk up, train harder, etc because if they dont, no-one will stop him,because the scary thing is, he is getting better every fight!!

OK' date=' adding a super-heavyweight division solves the problem of Brock rag-dolling the smaller heavyweights, but who would he defend the SHW title against - Butterbean?[/quote']

hahah butterbean sucks

Their should b another wieght class but it should be 135. Also your acting like Mir hasnt beat Lesner. Also mir isnt a small heavyweight

Yeah, there has been lots of talk about this previously. And it is just a matter of time. The prototype for the HW is becoming the top end of the weight class, guys who walk around at close to 300 Lbs....btw, Lesnar IS a 285+ Lb'er....dude may cut to 265 for weigh in, but he isn't fighting at 265.

Some point the Super Heavy weight class will be born....with HW becoming a ceiling somewhere around 235-250. Not sure if they would cap Super Heavy or leave it unlimited.

If nothing else, they could widen the gap between other divs too...take WW to 175, MW up to 195, and LHW up to 215. Put HW at 245-250 and you likely keep guys like Lesnar who cut big time to make HW at the Super Heavy class. And putting a 20Lb spread between all the others would likely have an impact on who is fighting in what div. Some of the smaller LHW would likely be able to cut down to 195 maybe bringing more challenge to Silva rather than him having to chase the upper weight classes, some of the smaller MW down to 175 to go give GSP a challenge.

Yeah' date=' there has been lots of talk about this previously. And it is just a matter of time. The prototype for the HW is becoming the top end of the weight class, guys who walk around at close to 300 Lbs....btw, Lesnar IS a 285+ Lb'er....dude may cut to 265 for weigh in, but he isn't fighting at 265.

Some point the Super Heavy weight class will be born....with HW becoming a ceiling somewhere around 235-250. Not sure if they would cap Super Heavy or leave it unlimited.

If nothing else, they could widen the gap between other divs too...take WW to 175, MW up to 195, and LHW up to 215. Put HW at 245-250 and you likely keep guys like Lesnar who cut big time to make HW at the Super Heavy class. And putting a 20Lb spread between all the others would likely have an impact on who is fighting in what div. Some of the smaller LHW would likely be able to cut down to 195 maybe bringing more challenge to Silva rather than him having to chase the upper weight classes, some of the smaller MW down to 175 to go give GSP a challenge.[/quote']

They wont change weight classes, their wont be a SHW, it would be a small class if their was one

OK' date=' adding a super-heavyweight division solves the problem of Brock rag-dolling the smaller heavyweights, but who would he defend the SHW title against - Butterbean?[/quote']

Funny, but...just take a look at the stats of some of the new breed coming into MMA in the last couple of years. Just cuz they aren't names yet doesn't mean they aren't there...the UFC alone has 5-6 guys who easily walk around in excess of 265. If they chose NOT to cap the weight, or put it at 300 or a bit higher I am sure it brings some guys out of the wood work who would love to fight, but have no hope in hell of making 265.

Brock disappoints me to be absolutely honest. He's used to tossing around the smaller guys and uses his weight to do stuff like pin them up against the cage and pin their arms down. I'd love to train for a few months and go a round or two with him. I'm currently 6'5 296lbs and don't think that he would have such an easy time ......

Brock disappoints me to be absolutely honest. He's used to tossing around the smaller guys and uses his weight to do stuff like pin them up against the cage and pin their arms down. I'd love to train for a few months and go a round or two with him. I'm currently 6'5 296lbs and don't think that he would have such an easy time ......

You sir are a gorilla! Zoiks!

I don't know, add a SHW and a 135LB and you have 7 divisions. Sounds OK. Many fans seem to complain we don't see enough title fights as it is, so two more weight classes should help somewhat. And if they did SHW right there would be some guys nobody has ever heard of come along, guys who have no chance of cutting to 265.

No not at all Lesnar is too fast for all of the super heavyweights in Strikeforce not too mind what else is floating around at over 265...He would just hold both belts if that happened anyway

No fighters that weigh more than 250 should be in the UFC' date=' the bigger you are, the less entertaining your fights are to watch, Brock needs to lose weight, thats all really :cool: lol[/quote']

That is your opinion, and imo your opinion is stupid. the bigger you are the less entertaining? Some of the best KO's ive seen have been HW. you dont have to have a nasty response, its nothing personal

they absolutely should make a super heavywieght weightclass this makes no sense there is no other weight class will such big differences lighter guys will always be at a disadvantage

If they did make a SHW you do understand that Lesnar would probably hold both belts..He is not just going to vacate the HW belt because there is a SHW division

man whats with all the smak talk here?

The divs go like this155,170,185,205 then 265, it is a big jump, most divisions have a 15 pound difference, mw to lhw 20 pounds difference then a 60 pound difference for HW is a division tailer made for a guy like brock. No discredit to him he is a beast, but to have guys around 230 pounds fighting him seems an unfair disadvantage considering brock cuts from around 285 and would be around 275-280 on the night. Untill brock came along i had never put to much thought to it but it makes a great deal of sence given brocks incredable athletic ability, to put another division in at 235 pounds. That would at least give fighters the choice to cut to 235 or fight brock :), plus then randy and nog could have been a title fight in itself. Brock will dominate the division or at least be a dominant force for a long time if another division isn't devised.

If and when a division is created all credit should go to the big man brock, if it wern't for him i dont think this would even be discussed.

hopefully someone reads this and has an intelligent reply, its retards that are ruining this site for people who come here for a more in depth discussion or freindly chat, not to put people down or act big

you dumb @ss' date=' you contradict yourself, you say there is too much weight difference in the heavy weight div. and then you say that the super heavy weight class should be unlimited weight, you know if that happens then theres going to be the same problem, some enormous 800lbs fat guy will come along and sit on lesnar and then we'll have another 200 of these boring posts.:mad:[img']http://www.adrants.com/images/loser-forehead.jpg[/img]

hahahahaahhahahahaha

I loled.

In all fairness, I agree that the UFC needs a new weightclass, but there is a significant difference, just look at the % of your total weight is needed to cut, then 65 aint all that big a leap afterall...

it's not uncommon for a WW fighter to walk around at 190 meaning he needs to drop 11,8% of his total weigth

Compared to HW fighters it would mean:

u guy cutting from 232 ---> 205 would have to loose 11,8% of his total weight

So actually, the HW division would be made up of people weighing 235+ if everyone bothered to cut... but for some reason HW's can't do what every other fighter does!?

In all fairness' date=' I agree that the UFC needs a new weightclass, but there is a significant difference, just look at the % of your total weight is needed to cut, then 65 aint all that big a leap afterall...

it's not uncommon for a WW fighter to walk around at 190 meaning he needs to drop [u']11,8% of his total weigth[/u]

So actually, the HW division would be made up of people weighing 235+ if everyone bothered to cut... but for some reason HW's can't do what every other fighter does!?

wow i never thought of it that way, good post, i guess you will have guys that just cant make 205 still stuck in no mans land or brockville lets call it. I think it just shows how unique brock lesner is considering he's one of a few who actually do cut to 265. There are really big guys out there who would also need to cut, but they will probably never be as fast or athletic as brock.

I don't think its a terrible idea if you had a crowded weight class right now but splitting it into a 235 class and then another for above is going to make for some really thin weight classes.

As the UFC grows in popularity I wouldnt be suprised to see this happen but for now I just don't see enough Heavyweights to merit two divisions.

http://bumpyknuckle.com/

I would like to see a Super-heavyweight class. I'm not sure if there are enough fighters to fill one out yet but if you look at the line-up on this season of TUF, most of the guys would qualify for a Superheavyweight class if you had heavyweight at 205-235 and then Super-heavyweight at 235-265. I would just like to see all the guys that naturally walk around between 215 and 245 to be able to compete without having to cut to 205 or fight guys that outweight them by 40-50 lbs.

In all fairness' date=' I agree that the UFC needs a new weightclass, but there is a significant difference, just look at the % of your total weight is needed to cut, then 65 aint all that big a leap afterall...

it's not uncommon for a WW fighter to walk around at 190 meaning he needs to drop [u']11,8% of his total weigth[/u]

And fighters do that. Forrest, Machida, T. Silva, Rampage, Jardine, Vera they all walk above 220, some 230 lb. But if someone is naturally 245 lb then cutting 40lb means cutting almost 20% of his weight. I say, cut HW at 235 and you will keep that 12% increment. Also put the ceiling on SHW at 285lb so SHW does not become some freak show.

I bet some LHW would than opt to fight in new HW (Vera for example) and fighters like CroCop, Couture could become a champs again.

I do not think it is such a bad idea.

And fighters do that. Forrest' date=' Machida, T. Silva, Rampage, Jardine, Vera they all walk above 220, some 230 lb. But if someone is naturally 245 lb then cutting 40lb means cutting almost 20% of his weight. I say, cut HW at 235 and you will keep that 12% increment. Also put the ceiling on SHW at 285lb so SHW does not become some freak show.

I bet some LHW would than opt to fight in new HW (Vera for example) and fighters like CroCop, Couture could become a champs again.

I do not think it is such a bad idea.

.[/quote']

Considering the LHW division is stacked and using the Vera example, it would give a lot of fighters around that size another divison to compete in. Especially guys like Couture who can make 205 but have to lose considerable strength due to the size of their frame.

The other side of it is that the ufc can keep expanding their fighter base and ultimately have another belt on the line, which will add to the promo side for events.

loads of folk on here seem 2 think it's unfair that brock is bigger and stronger than everyone else in HW division. that's bull****. He makes the weight like everyone else does. Just because he is physically gifted' date=' and unbelievably quick and agile for his size is'nt his fault!

It's up to the rest of the Heavyweights to raise the bar, bulk up, train harder, etc because if they dont, no-one will stop him,because the scary thing is, he is getting better every fight!![/quote']

I couldnt agree more , Making weight is apart of the game. They have it down to a art from!

Apart of fighting is fighting someone that might be smaller or bigger than you . People keep complaining about size advantage , well the only reason its a problem is because he is so quick and knowing how to use your weight is apart of EVERY fighters game plan , specially if your a judo or JJ guy. leverage !!!!

You dont see people complaining about reach and height advantages ? This advantage is no different than the weight diff. in the weight class's . Should we start having light heavy weight under 6 foot and over 6 foot , under 79 inch reach , over it????// come on people . Mankind comes in to many shapes and sizes, thats life , Fighting IS also about the advantages and disadvantages of each fighter size , technique , speed , discipline and mental state. every fight.

I couldnt agree more ' date=' Making weight is apart of the game. They have it down to a art from!

Apart of fighting is fighting someone that might be smaller or bigger than you . People keep complaining about size advantage , well the only reason its a problem is because he is so quick and knowing how to use your weight is apart of EVERY fighters game plan , specially if your a judo or JJ guy. leverage !!!!

[b']You dont see people complaining about reach and height advantages ? This advantage is no different than the weight diff. in the weight class's . Should we start having light heavy weight under 6 foot and over 6 foot , under 79 inch reach , over it????// come on people . Mankind comes in to many shapes and sizes, thats life , Fighting IS also about the advantages and disadvantages of each fighter size , technique , speed , discipline and mental state. every fight. [/b]

Come on. I am not against Brock nor Carwin. I actualy think that (other than his post fight behavior) Brock showes amazing skills (speed, strength, wrestling).

But his size gives him unfair advantage over other fighters. If someone is naturaly 245 he can not cut to 205. Fighting with oponents that are 20% larger than you has no sense (BJ tried it with GSP)

And why weight class and not hight class? Because height difference does not give fighters such an advantage as weight difference (see Struve)