they need to increase the heavy weight to 300lbs

Bruiserxx

c'mon 265 is too light for the "Defensive Tackle" type guys who would be good in the UFC. Boxing heavy weight is anything over 200lbs and can be unlimited thats how UFC should be and having a super heavy weight is just stupid. ncaa wrestling heavyweiht limit is 275 even highschool is 275lbs what the hell is this 265lbs wait limit in professional fighting its ridiculus. It should be increases to 300lbs because there are some freaks of nature who are 300lbs with 10% bodyfat so why the hell not. If some one like Broderick Bunkley at 22 years old nfl defensive tackle that was weighing 306 with a six pack wanted to compete can't lose 45 lbs

c'mon 265 is too light for the "Defensive Tackle" type guys who would be good in the UFC. Boxing heavy weight is anything over 200lbs and can be unlimited thats how UFC should be and having a super heavy weight is just stupid. ncaa wrestling heavyweiht limit is 275 even highschool is 275lbs what the hell is this 265lbs wait limit in professional fighting its ridiculus. It should be increases to 300lbs because there are some freaks of nature who are 300lbs with 10% bodyfat so why the hell not. If some one like Broderick Bunkley at 22 years old nfl defensive tackle that was weighing 306 with a six pack wanted to compete can't lose 45 lbs

Totally agree with you!

Finally someone with some sense.

I think I'm going to have to disagree, there is already a huge gap in the bottom and top side of the weight limits for HW, if they want to do that, just throw in a SuperHW division which really wouldn't do much for me either. I just don't care to see a whole bunch of Sapp type of fighters in the UFC. Brock is a freak being the size he is with the movement he has. There just isn't that many 300 pounders that can move like that. Seeing 2 fat guys going sumo on each other inside a cage doesn't do much for me.

I think we will have this in Carwin/Brock.

Yeah thats very true and I do look forward to that fight. I have always said that if anyone can dethrone Brock it would be Carwin.

However I still believe a weight increase upto 300lbs would work because, its been proven many times that bigger men don't always hold the advantage because normally the characteristics of bigger and smaller men balance out (Brock being the exception) the increase would allow for more talent and bigger threats to Brock so good idea IMO.

Either that or make a 230-265 division and then have 265 and up. The difference is around the same as the other divisions. 205 to 230 only 5lb more of a gap then 185-205. 25lbs isn't that bad. Alot of the HW's in the UFC could make that. Then it frees the 300 lb guys to compete if they can't make 265.

Just a thought, I'm quite happy with the way things are, but once I started thinking about it. Damn! Why am I not employed by the UFC?! Things would go so much smoother.....

The idea of SHW is Stupid! it would b a great idea to make the HW limit up to 300lbs. But then again some HWs would b too light at say 250 and under fighting som1 weighing 320lbs on fight night. get wat im sayn

I dont. 300lbs is pretty much SHW. Alot of the fighters in the UFC HW division don't even weigh 250. Again as said before, it would create a 95lb spread. Create a 235 and call that HW then call 265 and up SHW.

The idea of SHW is Stupid! it would b a great idea to make the HW limit up to 300lbs. But then again some HWs would b too light at say 250 and under fighting som1 weighing 320lbs on fight night. get wat im sayn

Yeah true but if fighters optimized there weight that would be only as much of a problem as it is now. I mean like people like Randy Couture can make LHW so he would have to fight at LHW. I reckon there are a fair few Heavys that could make LHW with little trouble.

You say it's stupid but then you say that some would be too light at 250? This is self-contradiction my friend, and what about the guys who weight around 220? (like Couture, etc)

hw- 206-245

shw- 246+

are there even 5 guys out there that can't make the 265 limit that are even worthy of coming into the UFC. I'm sorry but I don't need to see the Pride/Dream freakshow/circus types of fights in the UFC. Is the UFC really missing out by not have Sapp or HMC.

I agree with this. I don't think there's a demand for it right now but if there was an increase in interest from big fighters that can actually fight, I like the SHW idea better than just making HW unlimited.

1) Like said 2389743 times, it would have to be a new weight class. 2) No. There just doesn't seem to be that many huge guys that could compete on such a high level, it seems the fights would be boring. Remember back in the old days of UFC, they put it huge guys against small guys, and the only reason people watched the big guys was to see them either get whooped by someone smaller, or to demolish the smaller guy, mind you though, there wern't many rules in place. I don't want a SuperHW division full of people who couldn't make it in the NFL.

You say it's stupid but then you say that some would be too light at 250? This is self-contradiction my friend' date=' and what about the guys who weight around 220? (like Couture, etc)

hw- 206-245

shw- 246+[/quote']

I had the same reasoning basically..but was going to say 205-250 and then 250-300...cap it at 300

The actual difference between LHW and HW is already way too high...

If you want a super HW, you first need to make a Cruiserweigh (240 lbs), HW like now and super HW at 300 or something.

However, Cruiserweigh would be an awesome class but HW would be kinda weak (only Carwin and Lesnar in it) and SuperHW.. Need to first find good fighters for it.

Forget it imo.

If you can answer this question than I'll go along with a shw or 300lb limit.

Name 5 fighters that would make the division stronger by this rule change/division change.

I certainly can't. The HW is already too weak of a division with it to be split. I think people are just reacting because of how big Brock is. Everyone is really overestimating Brock right now. The guy has only had 5 matches with one loss and another being against a complete can. We know he's a good wrestler with the ability to control his opponent once he's got em on the ground. However, he has shown that his stand up game is weak. Couture was beating him on his feet. Heck Mir rocked Brock before he took Mir down. Carwin has a great chance to expose Brock's standup, I can see Brock getting KO'd.

i believe its fine how it is. i personally enjoy watching the smaller fighters more, because you actually see technical skill and transitions, reversals, etc. with the bigger guys, its either TKO or a KO in an otherwise lackuster fight. watching cain velascuez vs kongo proved this: tackle your opponent, sit on him, throw punches. if he gets up, do it again until the end of round three.

this is ridiculous. i want to see athletes. i already think that hw is the joke of the ufc. making weight is alot easier since they have a 40 lb. window to make weight in. they dont have to train as hard or diet as hard. fights in every other weight class are a lot more even since no one can outweigh the other by 40 lbs. on fight night. example: lesnar couture. that was retarded. if there weights were even couture would have easily won that fight.

Yeah, but then there would be no place in the octagon for Lesnar. And then Couture would have faced someone who he could probably walk all over, and watching that would be no fun, er, at least watching there be no competition, wouldnt be fun. Plus, you say you want to see athletes, well, Brock is an athlete. And if your looking for athletes in the HW division, you're looking in the wrong place.

I can't agree with that because then there would be to big of a gap in the division. There is already too much complaining just about lesnar being in there and being too heavy. If there was someone heavier than him he would completely destroy the lighter heavyweights.

I just dont care too much for how much of a weight diff there is in hw. no other class is that spread out. I dont think a guy at 220 should fight a guy whos 265 at weigh in but close to 300 standing. There should be a bigger class above this. That way guys like lesnar arent dominating just do to shear size and being able to lay on people and beat them up and claim how dominate they are. Hell yeah they are when a truck is laying on a something sizewise is comparable to a little kid to them at times. Although in the early days guys like gracie took out guys that much bigger. I just think there should be another weight class for these behemoths.. imo

I'm just saying when you look at the other classes you dont have this huge weight differences in weigh. after weigh in thats a different story. Guys have been able to handle them but not really well. I just think the 45lb gap is a lot. then again it makes some fights interesting when the smaller guy is handing it to the bigger one.

yea the 265 thing does limit the amount of people who can compete in the ufc but once you start getting into heavier weights then that youll see way to much of the brock lesnar style which is ground pound with littel to no passing or transitioning of any kind, which most people find boring

I could see changing the upper weight limit of the HW division or adding a SHW class in the future if it seems like there are enough really large fighters to make that reasonable.

BUT, let's not forget that most of this talk has come about because of a single fight, Lesnar vs. Mir II. It is still too early, based on Brock's dominance in a single fight, to declare that the HW division is broken. Let's watch the next couple of HW title fights and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

Archived