Smart UFC Thoughts

StarNY

Hello to fight fans and Mr. Dana White:

Some random UFC thoughts:

1) I think that the only fighter that can beat Anderson Silva is Lyoto Machida

2) I think that the only fighter that can beat Lyoto Machida is Anderson Silva

3) The Damien Maia vs. Nate Marquardt matchup is the most intriguing and exciting matchup of ufc 102

4) Its about time the UFC does a network deal so that they can put on more fights and grow even more

5) I want to at some point see a Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida rematch because that was one of the best fights in years. Even the staredown before the fight was ultra amusing.

6) My problem with Michael Bisping is his boring and pointless strategy of "jab and move" that might have won him a boring decision against Leben but he's not going to win fights or fans by continuing with this fight strategy. He just doesn't do much damage with those jabs against the top guys and from a fan viewpoint its plain old boring. Bisping is a talented guy but he needs to change his strategy and pissibly even train with the strategy ....guru greg jackson (no i am not related).

7) The mistake that Frank Mir made against Lesner was that he tried striking with him, and against a fighter as big as lesner you have to stay under control and maintain discipline, because once lesner got on top of Mir, he kept his chest by Mir's chest and didnt allow Mir any wiggle room to try any submissions (kudos to Lesner's trainer)

8) Most underrated ufc fighters: Jon Jones, clay guida, cain valesquez, damien mia,

Most overrated ufc fighters: Joe Stevenson, Big Nog, Jardine, Sherk, Wanderlai Silva, cro cop.

What are other's people thoughts on my ideas?

Thanks

~Z

Nogueira and Wandi are overrated? Are you serious? They were both just champions for solid amounts of time, at a time when they were in the superior organization before the media juggernaut of the UFC took over. They both just ran roughshod over pretty much everyone they faced for 2 or 3 years, except for Fedor. What makes them overrated?

By the way the rest of your post is pretty spot on so you get a pass for now.

sorry to say' date=' but all you "educated" thoughts sucked @ss!! they are all based on ur opinion with no facts behind it..[/quote']

Where did he claim these where facts? All I see in his post is he stated these where his thoughts. I like the post, well done StarNY. We don't expect people to agree with your ideas, but they are your own, bravo.

Where did he claim these where facts? All I see in his post is he stated these where his thoughts. I like the post' date=' well done StarNY. We don't expect people to agree with your ideas, but they are your own, bravo.[/quote']

Not to be a Mod creep, but good shout. All too often on this forum, people are quick to blast "noobs"for posting nonsense and dissapearing, so when a guy takes the time to use his first post to hopefully inspire reasoned debate, it's infuriating when people come on and insult without any reason.

3) The Damien Maia vs. Nate Marquardt matchup is the most intriguing and exciting matchup of ufc 102

4) Its about time the UFC does a network deal so that they can put on more fights and grow even more

5) I want to at some point see a Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida rematch because that was one of the best fights in years. Even the staredown before the fight was ultra amusing.

6) My problem with Michael Bisping is his boring and pointless strategy of "jab and move" that might have won him a boring decision against Leben but he's not going to win fights or fans by continuing with this fight strategy. He just doesn't do much damage with those jabs against the top guys and from a fan viewpoint its plain old boring. Bisping is a talented guy but he needs to change his strategy and pissibly even train with the strategy ....guru greg jackson (no i am not related).

7) The mistake that Frank Mir made against Lesner was that he tried striking with him' date=' and against a fighter as big as lesner you have to stay under control and maintain discipline, because once lesner got on top of Mir, he kept his chest by Mir's chest and didnt allow Mir any wiggle room to try any submissions (kudos to Lesner's trainer)

8) Most underrated ufc fighters: Jon Jones, clay guida, cain valesquez, damien mia,

Most overrated ufc fighters: Joe Stevenson, Big Nog, Jardine, Sherk, Wanderlai Silva, cro cop.

Thanks

~Z[/quote']

I agree with those thoughts, mostly. The overrated part I think could be different. Joe? Yes. Cro Cop? Yes. Jardine? Maybe, but he did out strike Lidell, and Forrest. Silva? Yea, I can see that. He does have a terrible record in the UFC alone. Sherk? I like Sherk, yea, but why would you say that? Because he lost to Edgar, and BJ Penn? And before that he lost to Hughes and GSP before there was a LW division? I disagree with that. Otherwise, good points. Respect the opinions.

Mostly sensible points, and fair enough start.

Although I have to take umbrage with Clay Guida being underrated!!! If anything he is the single most overrated fighter in the UFC. He is an energiser bunny punch bag with a solid set of whiskers and good recovery, who's style of fighting is 'anti-fight', being more than happy to prevent the other guy from attacking rather than mounting an attack of his own.

Sorry, I never get tired of saying that, although I am sure some old hands get bored of listening to me say it.

But other than that, welcome mr StarNY. And I too am very looking forward to seeing Maia against a top calibre guy like Nate.

7) The mistake that Frank Mir made against Lesner was that he tried striking with him' date=' and against a fighter as big as lesner you have to stay under control and maintain discipline, because once lesner got on top of Mir, he kept his chest by Mir's chest and didnt allow Mir any wiggle room to try any submissions (kudos to Lesner's trainer)

Thanks

~Z[/quote']

your first point is void because anderson silva has already been beaten: in his first ever match he lost a decision to Luiz Azeredo, he got choked out by Daiju Takase, and he got heel-hooked by ryo chonan.

I'm not going to argue your second point because thats your opinion, but in my opinion he has not fought that many people yet so I think we should wait and see how he does against shogun.

your third point is also completely based on your own opinion.

at the moment the UFC needs to be on PPV other wise they probably would not have the revenew to pay their fighters as much as they deserve.

I doubt a rematch between Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida would live up to their first but if it did I think there could be a good trilogy there:cool:

I'm pretty sure that jab/run is the only thing bisping can do against class opposition without getting destroyed lol :D

"The mistake that Frank Mir made against Lesner was that he tried striking with him, and against a fighter as big as lesner you have to stay under control and maintain discipline, because once lesner got on top of Mir, he kept his chest by Mir's chest and didnt allow Mir any wiggle room to try any submissions." what the hell do you suggest he should have done try and take lesnar down? striking was Mirs best chance of beating Lesnar and was the only place where Mir was able to do any damage.

I agree that Maia is underrated by a lot of people buut Jon Jones has only had three fights in the UFC and has only finished one of them and is yet to fight anyone of any real prestige within MMA. Clay Guida has only finished two fights since joining the UFC and hasn't been able to beat any top of the food chain opposition. Cain Velasquez showed in his last fight that while he has wrestling all he was able to do with Cheick Kongo was keep him on the floor to stop Kongo KOing him on the feet. Already loads of people think that Jon Jones is one of the best light heavy weights in the world and Cain Velasquez might be the one to beat Lesnar???

I agree with you on all the overrated ones except for Jardine, have you read any comments on any of the posts about him? Everyone always counts him out of every fight hes been in except for the Houston Alexander fight.

all in all I think you made a few good points but overall they were outnumbered by no brainers.

Not to be a Mod creep' date=' but good shout. All too often on this forum, people are quick to blast "noobs"for posting nonsense and dissapearing, so when a guy takes the time to use his first post to hopefully inspire reasoned debate, it's infuriating when people come on and insult without any reason.[/quote']

well he asked for people to give there thoughts on his thoughts, its a shame if people insult for no reason but when someone is inviting comments on a thread you have to expect some strong reponses

A- No, Silva is beatable by any competent top level fighter - Henderson, Maia, Marquadt, Jackson, Couture AND Machida all have a shot, IMHO.

A- Same as above, but reverse the words 'Silva' and 'Machida'

A- probably, both guys are very talented, motivated and on great streaks. It's a great contrast of styles and thus VERY interesting. My vote is Maia by sub.

A- I'll second you wholeheartedly on that, especially if it screens in the UK as well.

A- Yep, I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Now if only Clay can go on a streak and Diego can beat BJ (however unlikely that may be), then the rematch could go five rounds and perhaps have a finish.

A- even Greg Jackson can't help Bisping, who is a mediocre talent at best and is now held back by his towering arrogance. Frankly, it's embarrasing that he remains the poster boy for British MMA.

7) The mistake that Frank Mir made against Lesner was that he tried striking with him, and against a fighter as big as lesner you have to stay under control and maintain discipline, because once lesner got on top of Mir, he kept his chest by Mir's chest and didnt allow Mir any wiggle room to try any submissions (kudos to Lesner's trainer)

A- True, but you need to trade a bit in order to find that opening. Also, all the discipline in the world doesn't stop a speedy monster like Lesnar taking you down and punching your head in.

A- I would hardly call Jones, Velasquez or Maia underrated, given their undefeated records and position near the top of the card (at least Cain & Maia anyway.)

Clay is great, and entertaining as hell, but he's very inconsistent and needs to put a win streak together.

Likewise, I wouldn't call any of those guys overrated. Stevenson's wretsling is amazing, Minotauro is a legend of the sport, and while he wasn't great against Mir his skills have been proven, time and again.

Jardine (like Guida) needs to put a win streak togetehr, otherwise he's just an 'all guns blazing' fighter.

Sherk is just a cardio machine, and everyone says so - BJ embarrased him, and unless he goes on a streak, he's almost worthless now.

Silva, like Minotauro is a legend and his abilities and legacy are beyond question.

Cro Cop has been unfortunate with his time in the UFC as he was a killing machine in Japan - he needs that form back if he's to climb the ladder again.

My votes

Overrated - Kimbo Slice, Rashad Evans, Michael Bisping

Underrated - Shogun Rua,

Ok, not the best lists but its all that comes to mind right now...it's late here....

well he asked for people to give there thoughts on his thoughts' date=' its a shame if people insult for no reason but when someone is inviting comments on a thread you have to expect some strong reponses[/quote']

Don't disagree with that, but if the most intelligent response people can come up with is the keyboard warriors equivalent of "ner-ner-ner-ner-ner" then they haven't got any intelligence of their own. Other posters have contested StarNY's opinions by giving back reasoned argument and opinion of their own.

Archived