A few "submission" questions....

DJJoe

I think the Dana and Joe Silva need to scout the best Submission Wrestlers and BJJ competitors and get them into the UFC, as I think the fans need to be educated in how clever the ground game is, especially in the UK as the fans boo alot when it hits the deck. I think alot of submission guys are needed at the higher weight classes, LHW and HW.

Also where are all the guys that are meant to be using the rubber guard in MMA? Eddie Bravo claims its the best way of fighting off your back in an attacking fashion for MMA, and yet you hardly see anybody using it.

And finally, does anybody think an MMA promotion where fighters wear a gi would work?

Fav Fighters

Frank Mir

McLovin'

Rousimar Palhares

Damian Maia

No, gi's should not be permitted, as there is really no advantage to having it on, and it would only disadvantage those who don't normally wear it when up against someone who knows how to use it against them.

And UFC does have many black belts in BJJ, but generally they have made a full transition to MMA, and only use it when needed.

Damian Mai is a great BJJ artist. They had a real fantastic BJJ guy in Dean Lister, but he requested a release from UFC after losing to Yushin Okami. BJ Penn is also a great BJJ guy. Just look in the smaller weight divisons and you'll find plenty of them. They just don't seem to get as much hype as the bigger guys who stand and slug

I think the Dana and Joe Silva need to scout the best Submission Wrestlers and BJJ competitors and get them into the UFC' date=' as I think the fans need to be educated in how clever the ground game is, especially in the UK as the fans boo alot when it hits the deck. I think alot of submission guys are needed at the higher weight classes, LHW and HW.

Also where are all the guys that are meant to be using the rubber guard in MMA? Eddie Bravo claims its the best way of fighting off your back in an attacking fashion for MMA, and yet you hardly see anybody using it.

And finally, does anybody think an MMA promotion where fighters wear a gi would work?

Fav Fighters

Frank Mir

McLovin'

Rousimar Palhares

Damian Maia[/quote']

They can wear Gi's in Dream I believe as well as other Japanese promotions

No' date=' gi's should not be permitted, as there is really no advantage to having it on, and it would only disadvantage those who don't normally wear it when up against someone who knows how to use it against them.

And UFC does have many black belts in BJJ, but generally they have made a full transition to MMA, and only use it when needed.

Damian Mai is a great BJJ artist. They had a real fantastic BJJ guy in Dean Lister, but he requested a release from UFC after losing to Yushin Okami. BJ Penn is also a great BJJ guy. Just look in the smaller weight divisons and you'll find plenty of them. They just don't seem to get as much hype as the bigger guys who stand and slug[/quote']

God there are so many great BJJ guys in the UFC

here are a few you left off:

Gonzaga

Almeida

N0G

Kang

Serra

Lutter

GSP

Fitch (hybrid BJJ)

Shogun

Machida

A. Silva

too many more to name really...

Yeah, ditto what others said about there already being quality jits guys in the UFC. But then again, they always seem to want to prove that they can "stand and trade" with guys who are known for their striking. Unfortunately, a sloppy slugfest apparently brings in higher ratings then a technical ground game. People still love a good submission, but you've got to get good positioning first and that's what may be boring to some.

Gi is outlawed in UFC due to the fact that it does give an unfair advantage to BJJ experts. See the early days, many of the victories Royce got in those days were from using the gi as added handholds and leverage. Full gi BJJ has many techniques focussing on using the gi as an added weapon.

Also history has shown that a fighter trained solely in submission fighting, BJJ, shootfighting, etc.. is at a huge disadvantage against a more complete and diverse fighter.

Gi is outlawed in UFC due to the fact that it does give an unfair advantage to BJJ experts. See the early days' date=' many of the victories Royce got in those days were from using the gi as added handholds and leverage. Full gi BJJ has many techniques focussing on using the gi as an added weapon.

Also history has shown that a fighter trained solely in submission fighting, BJJ, shootfighting, etc.. is at a huge disadvantage against a more complete and diverse fighter.[/quote']

Gi has just as many disadvantages as advantages if you know how to use it against them. Look at what Sakuraba did to Royce in thier first fight. He used the gi to shut down Royce's takedowns.

Obviously you can catch submissions easier ( they don't slip out as much ) and you can do certain chokes with the gi you can't do without it but your opponent can use it to control you. Which is not good in mma where striking is involved. The jacket can really work against you. It can work for you to but It's more a disadvantage with someone who knows how to use it against you.

Im with Eddie Bravo on the whole gi no gi thing. Just wearing the pants is like the best of both worlds. You still have grip for submissions but they need to use underhooks and over hooks to control you. They can use the pants a little but it ups your submissions percentages enough to not be a problem.

DJJoe

"Also where are all the guys that are meant to be using the rubber guard in MMA? Eddie Bravo claims its the best way of fighting off your back in an attacking fashion for MMA, and yet you hardly see anybody using it."

Eddie's rubber guard is meant for people with extreme flexibility and many people that do have the flexibility haven't learned the finer points of his system yet. Also Eddie even says it's not full proof but it will up your percentages considerably and is meant to be blended with Butterfly guard and Half guard etc. Once you learn how to blend them all together seamlessly you have a very aggressive guard which is key in MMA. Always keeping the guy on the defensive. So he can't pass or bust you up. My BJJ instructor has a pretty good rubberguard and let me tell you it's a b*itch to deal with especially when blended seamlessly with other guard positions. It's like a never ending nightmare of defend, defend defend until you get caught. The positions Eddie invented are brilliant for MMA because it controls your opponents posture ( to stop him from striking effectively ) and frees an arm to work sweeps and submissions or even strikes.

There are some things that work against it

1. Not letting them climb up the levels of position ( eddie has strange names for the levels of position and the futher you improve to these the more dangerous it becomes for your opponent. ) If you can stop the early levels it's much less dangerous but It's difficult to do.and while your fighting off the position guess what your not attacking just defending.

2. Stacking works but that leaves you open for sweeps and they can transition to butterfly guard easy where more sweeps are possible and pretty easy to apply.

3. Posturing up before they get to mission control then standing up and punching getting them to open the guard then getting the hell out there fast or trying to pass. Again this opens you up for sweeps but it's much safer then the first two options.

4. Picking them up and slamming them. This will often get them to release it but it's also tiring and again you can be swept if they transition fast.

Im with others here there are plenty of high level BJJ players in MMA but I'd like to see more doing rubberguard correctly.

The only guy I've seen that does it real good is Shinya Aoki.

Archived