An interview with Anderson Silva

BrazilianFreak

This interview was made for a brazilian magazine called TATAME on 10th August.

I'll try to translate that as close as possible of what Anderson said, not just like Ed Soares sometimes do and just change a couple of words.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Did you expect such win against Griffin?

Everything was fine, thanks to God it was ok. We've trained for a tough fight. I was expecting a tough fight, but it just happen that we were superior.

How do you felt after that KO?

He fell, I was waiting for him to get on his feet again, but the judge just finished the fight and, thank God, it was everything ok. I just have to thank everyone who was part of my life to become a fighter, all my coaches since I started to fight.

Distak (Silva's coach) said you need get more motivated. This fight gave you that?

That's another type of fight. You can't just compare, Thales is a good fighter, but you cannot put a guy like him, that likes to fight on the ground, against someone who likes to stand-up and strike, because when it happens is gonna be boring, there's no way, these styles didn't work good together. You can't tell that one guy is that and the other one is worse, everyone has yours specialty, if you put a wrestling guy to face a BJJ guy you will have a good fight, but if you put two BJJ guys to fight, it's gonna be boring, cause you've got two guys that fights BJJ, so they will just go to the ground and fight BJJ, you know what I'm saying? If you want a good fight, you have to put two guys willing to exchange. If you put a striker against a BJJ fighter, the striker will try to avoid takedowns and the other one will avoid getting hit. So it's hard to say, a game plan is a game plan.

Dana White insists to make a fight between you and Lyoto Machida, but you already said that this is not gonna happen...

I would never do that to Lyoto. This is out of question. This guy is like a brother to me, it would be like a fight between Rodrigo Nogueira and Rog?rio Nogueira. There's no possibility that this will happen, not even for all money in world.

What's your next step? Are you going to help Nogueira?

My next step is helping Nogueira on his training to face Randy Couture. I'm here on the gym and we'll continue the training, let's see how we'll be able to help him, everybody is studying this fight, so let's see how we can help. I expect a win, so we'll work hard to make that happen.

What about Roy Jones Jr.? Have you talked about it with Dana White, what's the situation?

He was on UFC 101, to watch my fight, great person, a nice guy, polite... With all respect, I'm happy in UFC, I really love Ultimate, people treat me really good there, but there's no way someone could decide that, cause it's a personal wish of mine and I hope I can do it well.

You've been talking about retirement, but you seen more motivated after this last fight and made a lot of people asks for more fights with you. Do you still want to retire?

Let's wait and see what happens, but these things (about retirement) still on my mind.

You have always been a fan of Michael Jackson, How did you face his death?

I was bad man, I was bad for two days. I was really sad, cryed and everything, I was really bad. The guy was part of my history, I'm his fan, did cover of him, used to dance his songs in american parties, I loved all that. He has a beatiful history of dedication, hard work, suffered a lot of criticism... He was one of the guys who inspired me, and I will miss him, he did a lot for me as a person, in my carrer... I really loved Micheal, was crazy about him, I even had a poster of him in my room.

You have suggested a fight between Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva. Do you think it's possible to make that happen?

With all due respect to Vitor and Wanderlei, I'm not trying to make someone look bad, but it would be a good fight, it's gonna sell a lot. These guys have fought in the past, on that time Wanderlei was making his UFC debut, I was supporting Wanderlei, despite of being a Vitor's fan, actually ex-fan, I'm no longer a Vitor's fan. I think this fight must happen, it would be a good fight that Dana White would do. Wanderlei is a great striker, he goes forward looking to fight, this is a fight that got everything good to make it happen. But I think Vitor will not want to exchange with him. Anyway, is a fight that's gonna do good on sells and it would be good to Wanderlei.

Is there someone who you wish to fight?

There's a lot of tough guys, I just have to train. What keeps me motivated is that there's always someone training to beat me. So, while I'm still fighting, I will train to not be caught by surprise. Of course if I fight for more 3 or 4 years, someday I will end up losing, that's a fact, we work thinking about that too.

Is there someone who you wish to fight?

There's a lot of tough guys' date=' I just have to train. What keeps me motivated is that there's always someone training to beat me. So, while I'm still fighting, I will train to not be caught by surprise. [i']Of course if I fight for more 3 or 4 years, someday I will end up losing, that's a fact, we work thinking about that too[/i].

[/i]

Hmm. Interesting.

Dana White insists to make a fight between you and Lyoto Machida, but you already said that this is not gonna happen...

I would never do that to Lyoto. This is out of question. This guy is like a brother to me, it would be like a fight between Rodrigo Nogueira and Rog?rio Nogueira. There's no possibility that this will happen, not even for all money in world.

...That pisses me off! I respect him so much except his views on fighting him. IT'S MMA FO CHRIST SAKES.

Dana White insists to make a fight between you and Lyoto Machida' date=' but you already said that this is not gonna happen...[/b']

...That pisses me off! I respect him so much except his views on fighting him. IT'S MMA FO CHRIST SAKES.

I understand what you and others are saying, and as much as I would love to see such a technical display of beautiful striking between these two I kind of don't want to see it.

It's like saying you train with your best friend, day in and day out, then all of a sudden you guys have to fight one night. I know I wouldn't want to do it. Well actually I would take the stance of Anderson and say I WOULDN'T do it.

Just look at it from their perspective and not from a fans.

Thanks for the good post, and your efforts translating Anderson's interview for us. The UFC should hire you to handle their portuguese translations. =)

Anderson is a real down to earth fighter. Even though he's probably the biggest star in the sport of MMA right now, he's still a very respectful, likeable person. He's the anti-Brock Lesnar. =) Excellent fighter, humble and respectful.

I hope he can stay motivated for MMA. When you're on top of the world, there's really only one direction left to go. I'd sure like to see him get a contract extension with the UFC. I suppose it's all up to him really.

Honestly I would not like to see Dana White "force" Silva to fight Machida. Anderson said he would refuse any amount of money to fight Machida. Obviously, his friendship with Machida is more important to Silva than money. Sure the fight would be intriguing for fans, but how do you motivate yourself to destroy a close friend? It's way too antisocial to expect them to park their friendship for our amusement. This isn't chess or checkers. The goal is to destroy your opponent. Violently!

again, friends fight friends all the time. every ufc event there are 2 friends fighting each other. i wouldnt expect YOU to fight your buddy. but these guys have both made the choice to be mma fighters. they both chose to sign a fighting contract to fight whoever dana wants them to fight. it doesnt matter if they dont care for the idea. without all the fans support and paying out thier hard earner money to watch them, both of them would still be living in the slums and would have never met. how can they now tell those same fans "screw that its not happening". sounds harsh but its the truth.

As much as i would like to see it, I have to agree with the nay-sayers saying it's like Ken fighting Frank. Granted they are not genetic brothers, as Ken was adopted. Still, it would ruin a friendship if Dana forced it to happen. It would drive Silva out of the UFC. And what is he gonna do in StrikeFarce? Beat up everyone in every division?

Hah, maybe fight Fedor. That would be interesting.

again' date=' friends fight friends all the time. every ufc event there are 2 friends fighting each other. i wouldnt expect YOU to fight your buddy. [b']but these guys have both made the choice to be mma fighters.[/b] they both chose to sign a fighting contract to fight whoever dana wants them to fight. it doesnt matter if they dont care for the idea. without all the fans support and paying out thier hard earner money to watch them, both of them would still be living in the slums and would have never met. how can they now tell those same fans "screw that its not happening". sounds harsh but its the truth.

They also made the choice to fight in seperate weight divisions so they wouldn't have to fight each other. I don't agree with forcing them it's like Anderson said, that'd be like Nog Vs Nog it's ridiculous if they're that close.

Noone's complaining that Rashad and Jardine won't fight each other.

First, Ken and Frank Shamrock hate each other. They were supposed to fight but as usual Frank chickened out (as usual). They were both adopted so neither of them is a "real" Shamrock. So using these two is a bad example...

It would be more like Rampage vs Kongo or Evans vs Jardine. Anyone know what's the beef between Belfort and Silva? Is it cause Vitor is in the 185 lbs too? I know they trained once or so together..

Archived