I'm predicting UFC on ABC starting in November, logic inside

junbo79

It's not any new news. It's just putting the pieces together.

Think about it?

* Chuck Liddell is on Dancing with the Stars.......on ABC

* Mike Goldberg is Hosting Shaq Vs.........on ABC

* The UFC landed a deal with ESPN in the UK which is owned by........ABC

* White is talking about this 3rd show in November (Penn vs Sanchez) to compete with Showtime and it's not HBO and they already have a cable TV deal with SPIKE, so I gaurantee it's not another ESPN deal in the US.

* White is stating 3 shows a month in 2010. You can't do all PPV's, the revenue drops all around. They have enough sponsor interest after UFC 100, White has all but said so himself eliminating the need for PPV revenue to make these shows a reality.

It is Network Television folks. They have already aligned with ABC, you just got to see all the pieces to draw your conclusion.

I dig it big time. Makes a lot of sense for the UFC to go live on another network, with him talking of lower weight classes too. Leaves the door open for a lot of fighters that dont get too much tv time to fight on a huge forum like ABC.

Great idea if Dana does this, or anyother network for that matter. If he goes somewhere the fans have to upgrade to see, I think it will work, but not as well as he wants it too.

Good call man.

The great thing is, there isn't crap on network TV on Saturdays, so it's a perfect way for ABC to draw huge numbers with little to no competition.

My only concern. Outside of the Penn/Sanchez (which will be treated as the debut of a new series) they are going to have to put on shows that are similar in talent to a UFC Fight Night on SPIKE. They have to make it clear that the HUGE fights are on PPV, while still making the other cards compelling. If not, why buy PPV's.

These mentions of lower weight classes and this mass signing of fighters to the UFC, new and veteran alike is another heavy indicator that he is not BS'ing this whole 3 cards a month deal.

Interesting hypothesis.... However, one angle not taken into consideration is that ABC is owned by Disney, whom pride themselves on "family oriented" shows. My concern there would be that they would/still think of mma as a "blood sport" (which we know better, as tried and true fans) but it is still not accepted by a sizable amount of the public as "mainstream"... would Disney be so bold? I can see it being aired on ESPN before ABC, but, time will tell. Again, I give you props for the interesting thoughts, though! Well done.

Interesting hypothesis.... However' date=' one angle not taken into consideration is that ABC is owned by Disney, whom pride themselves on "family oriented" shows. My concern there would be that they would/still think of mma as a "blood sport" (which we know better, as tried and true fans) but it is still not accepted by a sizable amount of the public as "mainstream"... would Disney be so bold? I can see it being aired on ESPN before ABC, but, time will tell. Again, I give you props for the interesting thoughts, though! Well done.[/quote']

Lets say it is ESPN. If that was the case how do you think SPIKE would feel about it? They have put tons of effort into the UFC brand and have been a good partner since they shook hands.

I could see them ending their contract with SPIKE and then going to ESPN for a better brand recognition, just feels to me SPIKE's feelings could be hurt if they go the ESPN route while still working with SPIKE.

I dismissed the thought because of that. They have PPV in the bag, they have Cable in the bag. Seemed only logic that the last piece to that puzzle would be Network TV.

Either way it's easy access for the fan. Both would be A OK by me.

The great thing is' date=' there isn't crap on network TV on Saturdays, so it's a perfect way for ABC to draw huge numbers with little to no competition.

My only concern. Outside of the Penn/Sanchez (which will be treated as the debut of a new series) they are going to have to put on shows that are similar in talent to a UFC Fight Night on SPIKE. They have to make it clear that the HUGE fights are on PPV, while still making the other cards compelling. If not, why buy PPV's.

These mentions of lower weight classes and this mass signing of fighters to the UFC, new and veteran alike is another heavy indicator that he is not BS'ing this whole 3 cards a month deal.[/quote']

Good call. If they organized some form of structured ranking system that fans could follow as lead ups to PPVs, it could be huge. They should initialize some form of ranking or bracket system in my opinion. This could also open the door to tournament style setup - you've got say 10 to 20 fighters in a given weight class who are competing monthly in a bracket elimination system to face the champ. Something to that degree anyway.

The great thing is' date=' there isn't crap on network TV on Saturdays, so it's a perfect way for ABC to draw huge numbers with little to no competition.

These mentions of lower weight classes and this mass signing of fighters to the UFC, new and veteran alike is another heavy indicator that he is not BS'ing this whole 3 cards a month deal.[/quote']

With all the new talent as well as the existing skilled fighters who have been appearing on the PPV undercards, I agree the UFC could put on additional compelling monthly fight cards while still leaving the really key matches for PPV. It wouldn't have to weaken the draw of PPV- in fact, I think it would have the opposite effect, as it would help to broaden interest as well as allowing viewers to follow some of the less well-known fighters as they progressed. And you're also right that there's not much competition right now on Saturday nights, so the UFC could be a big draw.

Good call. If they organized some form of structured ranking system that fans could follow as lead ups to PPVs' date=' it could be huge. They should initialize some form of ranking or bracket system in my opinion. This could also open the door to tournament style setup - you've got say 10 to 20 fighters in a given weight class who are competing monthly in a bracket elimination system to face the champ. Something to that degree anyway.[/quote']

At first I dismissed this but after thinking about it, it could certainly be possibility that they can set up tournaments and bill them as that. UFC has good experience with tournaments already and we watch it every season in TUF.

With all the new talent as well as the existing skilled fighters who have been appearing on the PPV undercards' date=' I agree the UFC could put on additional compelling monthly fight cards while still leaving the really key matches for PPV. It wouldn't have to weaken the draw of PPV- in fact, I think it would have the opposite effect, as it would help to broaden interest as well as allowing viewers to follow some of the less well-known fighters as they progressed. And you're also right that there's not much competition right now on Saturday nights, so the UFC could be a big draw.[/quote']

If they pull this off, then White will have fulfilled what he's said for years. If they can secure monthly free cards then the MMA/UFC is making a huge leap into becoming the biggest sport in America.

If they put on the right card, I'll put money down that the only live event on free tv that will compete is the Super Bowl.

Archived