Sign in to follow this  
deadside

UFC discuss cage size alterations..

Part of an interview with Yahoo Sports Dana mentions possible cage alterations...

Yahoo Sports: Would the WEC fighters lose something if you moved them from the smaller WEC cage to the bigger UFC Octagon?

Dana White: Actually, we?ve been talking about making the Octagon smaller. We?re considering making it smaller. [uFC matchmaker] Joe Silva wants it. I think he wants to turn the thing into a [expletive] bathtub. Have them fight in a little tollbooth.

Dunno if I wanna see this happen or not......I like things the way they are....

Thoughts?

A lot of people seem to be not liking this, I actually do like it. People are saying it will take away from the sport and make it into a brawl instead of good technical battles, but I think it will just force the action a bit more, sure it will hinder guys like Machida who circle out of every exchange but so what? It'll just force fighters to adapt their games a little bit and we will see more action and less circling.

I respectfully disagree with you alexbond.

I like the cage size the way it is. If anything' date=' i wouldnt mind it expanding a we bit. Like 1ft x 1ft increase[/quote']

reasons?

I disagree with it. I think It's fine like it is. I don't think forcing engagement will improve the sport. It could make wrestlers have a huge advantage.

I'd rather see a anti stalling system implemented and enforced.

I would not be opposed to making it somewhere in between WEC and UFC's cage but any smaller than that and you change the game way too much.

For the most part I don't see fighters avoiding combat much so I can't say it would accomplish anything. Machida is the only guy who comes to mind that it would affect much, maybe A. Silva. One drawback might be that it results in more clinch work along the fence (since the fence is closer) which, while I enjoy it's tactical/technical aspect, can be boring for some fans.

For the most part I don't see fighters avoiding combat much so I can't say it would accomplish anything. Machida is the only guy who comes to mind that it would affect much' date=' maybe A. Silva. One drawback might be that it results in more clinch work along the fence (since the fence is closer) which, while I enjoy it's tactical/technical aspect, can be boring for some fans.[/quote']

Plenty of people circle out of exchanges, especially when they're in trouble, it makes running a legitimate tactic. Personally I think there needs to be less sides like a pentagon rather than an octagon while keeping the size the same, this way it won't give wrestlers an advatage but it would allow aggressive fighters to actually corner their opponents more and force them to fight.

Plenty of people circle out of exchanges' date=' especially when they're in trouble, it makes running a legitimate tactic. Personally I think there needs to be less sides like a pentagon rather than an octagon while keeping the size the same, this way it won't give wrestlers an advatage but it would allow aggressive fighters to actually corner their opponents more and force them to fight.[/quote']

Now this I agree with. I think it was Kang that showed in a thread that Dream is thinking about changing to a pentagon shaped cage. I really like the idea because it kind of combines the ring ( corners ) with the cage. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Plenty of people circle out of exchanges' date=' especially when they're in trouble, it makes running a legitimate tactic. Personally I think there needs to be less sides like a pentagon rather than an octagon while keeping the size the same, this way it won't give wrestlers an advatage but it would allow aggressive fighters to actually corner their opponents more and force them to fight.[/quote']

Plenty of people do it as a tactic, but not habitually like Machida. He does it even when he isn't in trouble! hah And they don't do it to avoid combat which I believe would be the point of making it smaller, to force the fighters to stay engaged.

I'd rather see a anti stalling system implemented and enforced...

Ive thought about this too, like some more concrete way of scoring agression in the octagon, but then I wondered if we wouldnt see a lot more fighters gassing which would be self defeating.

For the most part I don't see fighters avoiding combat much so I can't say it would accomplish anything. Machida is the only guy who comes to mind that it would affect much' date=' maybe A. Silva. One drawback might be that it results in more clinch work along the fence (since the fence is closer) which, while I enjoy it's tactical/technical aspect, can be boring for some fans.[/quote']

machida is used to fighting in smaller rings , he has been in karate tournaments where rings are not that big.. Anderson silva is also used fighting in smaller rings , he fought in pride ...

I personally dont think is such a great idea , it gives the wrestlers a huge advantage , which means boring fights...

However it depends on how much they want to reduce the size of the cage... I mean if its only a little bit it should not affect anyone... Now if they want to reduce it a lot it may be an advantage for the wrestlers...And to be honest I m tired of seeing wrestlers in the ufc

Plenty of people do it as a tactic' date=' but not habitually like Machida. He does it even when he isn't in trouble! QUOTE']

This garbage about Machida running all stems from his fight with Ortiz, but the truth is that if you look at the fight metrics he outstruck, outworked and out performed Ortiz in every aspect but grappling. Machida schooled Ortiz and anyone who claims differently or claims that Machida avoided engaging is an idiot.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Ortiz.html

Kinda wish I'd added a poll now, to get an idea on numbers, but the way I see it is "if it aint broken don't fix it".

I think the Octagon is fine the way it is, and I hope it stays this way..

Part of an interview with Yahoo Sports Dana mentions possible cage alterations...

Dunno if I wanna see this happen or not......I like things the way they are....

Thoughts?

hell no. if its not broke dont fix it. this is a fight not a wrestling match

I don't know why the UFC would want to shrink their cage at this stage in the game. They are not a new promotion. They don't really need to tweak their format very much. Shrinking the cage would encourage rock 'em sock 'em matches, and would allow strong fighters to cut-off opponents footwork escapes. While in theory this would increase aggression and reduce passivity, I think that changing the cage size would hinder one of the more technical aspects of the fight game. Let's face it, footwork is the basis for everything in the cage. Take away room to move your feet and it's just a slug fest. I don't think it's necessary to make this alteration.

I respectfully disagree with you alexbond.

I like the cage size the way it is. If anything' date=' i wouldnt mind it expanding a we bit. Like 1ft x 1ft increase[/quote']

Your a fool, i just don't see how you'd prefer a bigger octagon, do you wanna see a fight or decisions come on mate, enough is enough, let them make the ring smaller and make fighters fight.

Easy' date=' Leave as is. If it aint broke dont fix it!!!![/quote']

Excactly what i was thinking, i haven't heard nobody ever complain, the octogon is too big. Like the guy with the spelling problem said If it isn't broke don't fix it.

That new Dream cage is a pretty sweet idea, but lets face it, the UFC will always have an octagon shaped cage. And another point to look at is fighter size- The WEC cage is smaller... so are their fighters. Watching Brock and Carwin fight in that tiny cage would be quite a spectical. Leave the cage alone.

making it smaller would be the stupidest idea dana has ever had

it would eliminate any semblance of technicality, it would make is extremely difficult to go for takedowns, and the fights would be just wild brawls.