Sign in to follow this  
pino111

Cecil People respond to fans

Sexxpac - would you agree that Machida was way more unsuccessful in these sets of counters during the 4th and 5th? Or do you stand by the fact that he was successful throughout the whole fight.

While i'll say Machida's countering in rounds 1 and 2 are on the whole massively overlooked (i am guilty) - I will say that IMO as the power were moreso sucked out of his counters, so too were the accuracy and the speed/success of his avoidance and octagon/distance control.

Sexxpac - would you agree that Machida was way more unsuccessful in these sets of counters during the 4th and 5th? Or do you stand by the fact that he was successful throughout the whole fight.

While i'll say Machida's countering in rounds 1 and 2 are on the whole massively overlooked (i am guilty) - I will say that IMO as the power were moreso sucked out of his counters' date=' so too were the accuracy and the speed/success of his avoidance and octagon/distance control.[/quote']

Yes, I fully agree with that. He got worked pretty well by Shogun in the 4th and 5th rounds. That's also when Shogun was finally able to find Machida's face.

I know (well, I assume) where you're going with this.. and yes, some of that was caused by the damage sustained in the first three rounds. Some of it was also likely a lack of conditioning. BUT.. we can't go back and change the scores of the first three rounds just because the damage was finally starting to take effect.

I scored rounds 4 and 5 for Shogun. After watching the fight again, they were closer than I had originally thought, though. Rogan's commentary clearly had me believing that Shogun was WAY in control, when in reality, it wasn't THAT bad.

Octogon Control....if that means running backwards and NEVER taking the fight to the other guy...then he displayed brilliant octogon control...the fight should have been a whitewash....he was awesome...at one point I thought that Shogun would have to start running just to catch up!

Come on ....He was outfought, out thought and for once he fought someone who was as quick and clean a striker as he was....He did not enjoy that one little bit....Shogun ....a true champion.

Yes' date=' I fully agree with that. He got worked pretty well by Shogun in the 4th and 5th rounds. That's also when Shogun was finally able to find Machida's face.

I know (well, I assume) where you're going with this.. and yes, some of that was caused by the damage sustained in the first three rounds. Some of it was also likely a lack of conditioning. BUT.. we can't go back and change the scores of the first three rounds just because the damage was finally starting to take effect.

I scored rounds 4 and 5 for Shogun. After watching the fight again, they were closer than I had originally thought, though. Rogan's commentary clearly had me believing that Shogun was WAY in control, when in reality, it wasn't THAT bad.[/quote']

Agreed, Shogun landed a few shots from the clinch and I would say that round 3 is where the turn in the fight might have happened. I originally gave Machida 3 and not 2.

I would be happy with a draw or a close call to either guys. Round 3 is the decider for me at the moment. I agree with most if not all you say here.

Agreed' date=' Shogun landed a few shots from the clinch and I would say that round 3 is where the turn in the fight might have happened. I originally gave Machida 3 and not 2.

I would be happy with a draw or a close call to either guys. Round 3 is the decider for me at the moment. I agree with most if not all you say here.[/quote']

Agreed. Round 3 is when I started to notice Lyoto slowing down. When I rewatched and scored it minute by minute, I still had Lyoto winning, though. It was very close, but the flurry at the end definitely sealed the deal for me. Most people were probably just distracted by Joe Rogun screaming.. "SHOGUN LANDS A RIGHT HAND!!" lol

Either way, a very close fight, and there are arguments for having either fighter win. 1, 2, 3 to Machida, or 2, 4, 5 to Shogun. The people making it out to be some kind of blowout are painfully biased, or they haven't watched the fight.

I'm glad we could finally agree on this.

Can't wait for the rematch!!!! lol

Octogon Control....if that means running backwards and NEVER taking the fight to the other guy...then he displayed brilliant octogon control...the fight should have been a whitewash....he was awesome...at one point I thought that Shogun would have to start running just to catch up!

Come on ....He was outfought' date=' out thought and for once he fought someone who was as quick and clean a striker as he was....He did not enjoy that one little bit....Shogun ....a true champion.[/quote']

You're sadly mistaken if you think Machida didn't take the fight to Shogun. Lyoto instigated just as many attacks as Shogun did. Don't let the back-pedalling fool you.. it's a very offensive form of back-pedalling.

Chuck Liddell made a pretty good name for himself by knocking people out while he was backing up. Nobody faults him for it.

Agreed. Round 3 is when I started to notice Lyoto slowing down...

The people making it out to be some kind of blowout are painfully biased' date=' or they haven't watched the fight.

I'm glad we could finally agree on this.

Can't wait for the rematch!!!! lol[/quote']

I thought Machida slowed down in round 3 as well. The damage he took to his legs and ribs was pretty bad and difficult to mask. Incidentally though, I had Shogun winning the first 2 rounds with Machida making a better show for himself in the 3rd because he stopped running backwards so much.

I don't agree with people saying it was a blowout, either. However, from my perspective, Shogun was a clear victor. He took away Machida's ability to do what he normally does in fights while he was able to land powerful blows of his own - with more frequency and connect percentage.

Blowout - No

Clear victory for Shogun - Yes

I'm looking forward to the rematch as well. I hope they get a new set of judges and hold the event in a state other than California.

Here is another interview from Cecil People's:

"The fans and all the naysayers, I don't worry about. I don't back down because it's not popular. My thing is: Rua did hit him more. But Machida hit him harder, especially in the early rounds. You got to remember, Machida is stepping back, so when he gets kicked, he's getting brushed. But he counters Shogun with a hard kick to the belly. Which one counts more for the exchange? I give it to the [second one], because it was harder. It wasn't brushed. Everybody was expecting him to destroy Shogun like he destroyed Rashad Evans, and he didn't destroy him. It was a close fight. So people think: [Rua] did good. If he did that good, he must have won the fight. So you in a bar with 200 people that are sloppy drunk, and you're gonna argue with me about the decision? How does that work? Only in America. I give the fight to Machida in a very, very close fight. Now you're pissed off because it's my fault that you lost your money. No, it's not. It's Machida's fault. If you don't like it, you can go to hell." - Cecil Peoples

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Cecil-Peoples-If-you-dont-like-it,-you-can-go-to-hell.html

No more overused rants please, we've heard it all before. If you blame anything blame the scoring system.

At first i was gonna rip Cecil Peoples a new one, but then i decided to watch the fight again and score it myself, using the Scoring criteria.

Here is my breakdown:

RD1 Machida (close)

RD2 Even

RD3 Even

RD4 Shogun (close)

RD5 Shogun

Shogun won 2 rounds the last two, machida won the first, the 2nd and 3rd are very much a coin flipm really even. For some reason machida got both rounds from all three judges. I would have given it to shogun because he inflicted more damage. Machida knew he lost and looked very dissapointed, shogun looked confident. I was shocked at UD, but it was very close fight. Personally i think shogun won.

wow this thread is super long isn't it

I don't rly wanna say who won with confidence, but I'll tell some of you why the judges might have scored it that way.

first of all, Commentators were too biased toward Shogun. During the first 3 rounds, most of the time when Shogun was landing leg kicks, Machida was landing punch on his face. It's very easy to be biased by small things and it's proven in many psychological studies. The judges couldn't listen to Rogan and Goldberg's commentating, so they are less biased than fans.

Also, for any people, last impression plays a big factor when making judgements about something. Shogun obviously won last 2 rounds, there's no arugument about it. I think seeing him being so dominant on last 2 rounds might have made many of us thinking that Shogun was also like that in first 3 rounds. The judges were scoring right after each fights, without looking replays or anything... So that might be why.

And uhhh really, just because Dana said he thought Shogun won doesn't mean that Shogun really won. Dana was just a spectator, and he wasn't a judge or anything. I see people bashing him when they hear about Dana bashing Fedor, calling him an idiot who knows nothing. But now that he made a comment that some of you wanted to hear, you use him as your proof. Dana has never hesitated at speaking his opinion and that was just his opinion.

Well, we can't always live by listening to things we'd like to listen.

wow this thread is super long isn't it

I don't rly wanna say who won with confidence' date=' but I'll tell some of you why the judges might have scored it that way.

first of all, Commentators were too biased toward Shogun. During the first 3 rounds, most of the time when Shogun was landing leg kicks, Machida was landing punch on his face. It's very easy to be biased by small things and it's proven in many psychological studies. The judges couldn't listen to Rogan and Goldberg's commentating, so they are less biased than fans.

Also, for any people, last impression plays a big factor when making judgements about something. Shogun obviously won last 2 rounds, there's no arugument about it. I think seeing him being so dominant on last 2 rounds might have made many of us thinking that Shogun was also like that in first 3 rounds. The judges were scoring right after each fights, without looking replays or anything... So that might be why.

And uhhh really, [b']just because Dana said he thought Shogun won doesn't mean that Shogun really won. Dana was just a spectator, and he wasn't a judge or anything. I see people bashing him when they hear about Dana bashing Fedor, calling him an idiot who knows nothing. But now that he made a comment that some of you wanted to hear, you use him as your proof. Dana has never hesitated at speaking his opinion and that was just his opinion.[/b]Well, we can't always live by listening to things we'd like to listen.

+1

Look it was obviously a very close fight and in retrospect a good logical argument can be made for either man. However at fight time, especially with the mandatory 10 point, round by round judging, in a championship fight, the close rounds go to the champ. If this were PRIDE it looks like shogun wins in a walk, but this isn't PRIDE.