UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun - Fight Analysis

Benxbec

Ok I analyzed the fight and I believe I have everything about right. I took this from counting everything myself and making my own decisions on the scoring. Alright, I know that everyone here will jump all over me but this is how I see it.

R1: Machida landed 19 significant blows, and one knee that sort of dropped Rua. He stuffed 2 TD. Also I noticed that for every kick that Shogun would land, Machida would, on average, land 2-3 counter strikes.

Rua landed 18 significant blows, no powerful shots. Failed 2 TD.

R1: Machida: 10-9

R2: Machida landed 18 significant strikes, and one power shot. He achieved 3 combinations, and stuffed one TD.

Rua had 15 significant blows, plus 13 knees to the thighs in the clinch and 1 elbow in the clinch. One failed TD attempt. He achieved one combination. Once again, for every kick shogun would use, he would be countered two times on average.

If I could I would give it a draw, but Machida just looked more in control.

R2:10-9 Machida, but it could just as well could have gone to Rua and I wouldn't flip because of it.

Overall (So far): 20-18 Machida

R3: Machida landed 30 significant blows, including the round ending combo, which included 14 strikes. He stuffed one takedown. He achieved 5 combos.

Rua landed 21 significant blows, including the shot to the head that ended Machida's big combination, and hurt him a little bit. He failed one takedown, and only achieved 2 combos.

R3: 10-9 Machida

Overall (So far): 30-27 Machida.

R4: Machida lands 13 significant strikes. He used a head kick which was partially blocked. He stuffed one takedown. He also had 3 combinations.

Rua landed 14 significant strikes. He failed a takedown. He used no combinations. About 4 of his strikes went to the head. He took a head kick to the arm which may have bruised up his arm a bit, but no serious damage taken.

Once again, if I could score it a draw I would, but Machida had more head and body strikes to me, while Rua used mostly leg strikes and the occasional body strike.

R4:10-9 Machida

Rua may have VERY easily won the round, but Machida looked more "on his toes" to me and more intent on countering every kick Rua used.

Overall: 40-36 Machida

R5: Machida lands 11 significant blows. He had some very heavy knees in the clinch overall 4 big knees, including one to the head. Suprisingly, no combos at all this round.

Rua landed 20 significant strikes. He bloodied Machida's lip in the round. He landed nothing overly heavy this round. Lots of kicks from him to the body. No takedowns attempted. 5 combos landed for Shogun.

Another very close round. Machida seemed to be giving it his all, while Shogun, as he has stated, let off in the last round. Machida landed the bigger blows, yet Shogun drew blood. If I could it would be a draw for this round.

R5: 10-9 Shogun

Overall: 49-46 Machida

Really, I thought Machida won every round but the fifth, not definitively, but he edged out a few rounds just barely. What won Machida the fight was that he was going for broke in the fight and giving it all he had.

Strikes-Overall

Machida: 91 Total Strikes;6 powerful shots plus the big combo that ended the third round.

Shogun: 102 Total Strikes;1 powerful shot, which is the shot that ended Machida's combo in the third round.

Machida wins not overwhelmingly, but he did.

Ok I analyzed the fight and I believe I have everything about right. I took this from counting everything myself and making my own decisions on the scoring. Alright' date=' I know that everyone here will jump all over me but this is how I see it.

R1: Machida landed 19 significant blows, and one knee that sort of dropped Rua. He stuffed 2 TD. Also I noticed that for every kick that Shogun would land, Machida would, on average, land 2-3 counter strikes.

Rua landed 18 significant blows, no powerful shots. Failed 2 TD.

R1: Machida: 10-9

R2: Machida landed 18 significant strikes, and one power shot. He achieved 3 combinations, and stuffed one TD.

Rua had 15 significant blows, plus 13 knees to the thighs in the clinch and 1 elbow in the clinch. One failed TD attempt. He achieved one combination. Once again, for every kick shogun would use, he would be countered two times on average.

If I could I would give it a draw, but Machida just looked more in control.

R2:10-9 Machida, but it could just as well could have gone to Rua and I wouldn't flip because of it.

Overall (So far): 20-18 Machida

R3: Machida landed 30 significant blows, including the round ending combo, which included 14 strikes. He stuffed one takedown. He achieved 5 combos.

Rua landed 21 significant blows, including the shot to the head that ended Machida's big combination, and hurt him a little bit. He failed one takedown, and only achieved 2 combos.

R3: 10-9 Machida

Overall (So far): 30-27 Machida.

R4: Machida lands 13 significant strikes. He used a head kick which was partially blocked. He stuffed one takedown. He also had 3 combinations.

Rua landed 14 significant strikes. He failed a takedown. He used no combinations. About 4 of his strikes went to the head. He took a head kick to the arm which may have bruised up his arm a bit, but no serious damage taken.

Once again, if I could score it a draw I would, but Machida had more head and body strikes to me, while Rua used mostly leg strikes and the occasional body strike.

R4:10-9 Machida

Rua may have VERY easily won the round, but Machida looked more "on his toes" to me and more intent on countering every kick Rua used.

Overall: 40-36 Machida

R5: Machida lands 11 significant blows. He had some very heavy knees in the clinch overall 4 big knees, including one to the head. Suprisingly, no combos at all this round.

Rua landed 20 significant strikes. He bloodied Machida's lip in the round. He landed nothing overly heavy this round. Lots of kicks from him to the body. No takedowns attempted. 5 combos landed for Shogun.

Another very close round. Machida seemed to be giving it his all, while Shogun, as he has stated, let off in the last round. Machida landed the bigger blows, yet Shogun drew blood. If I could it would be a draw for this round.

R5: 10-9 Shogun

Overall: 49-46 Machida

Really, I thought Machida won every round but the fifth, not definitively, but he edged out a few rounds just barely. What won Machida the fight was that he was going for broke in the fight and giving it all he had.

Strikes-Overall

Machida: 91 Total Strikes;6 powerful shots plus the big combo that ended the third round.

Shogun: 102 Total Strikes;1 powerful shot, which is the shot that ended Machida's combo in the third round.

Machida wins not overwhelmingly, but he did.[/quote']

make it stop...

I beg your pardon?

The Machida vs Shogun threads i think he means lol.... do you have any idea how many there have been? Ill let you off though just this once lol, because they have all been deleted. BUT, there has been HUNDREDS. Literally lol. I think everyone needs to move on.

By the way. Your analysis is flawed. Shogun did better than you made out. He won. Find a MMA site that says differently :D.

Lol. Now enough with the threads. Wait for the rematch!!!

spencer fischer was robbed.

nobody cares about shogun.

he lost to forrest griffin for god sake.

shut up you supertroll. After reviewing the fight - it was closer. Machida's power fades from 3 onwards. I think it's easily arguable that Shogun won the last 3. Machida won the first 2 though, I thought he won 1 & 3, but it's 1 & 2 that are decisive.

Archived