Future HEAVYWEIGHT matchups

harrow151406051934

1) HW Title - Lesnar vs Carwin

2) Velasquez vs Dos Santos

Winner of (2) faces winner of (1), and loser of (2) faces Frank Mir.

I would have said winner of Mir vs Kongo (UFC107) faces loser of (2) but if Kongo wins and Velasquez loses then it will be an unneccesary rematch.

Maybe even throw in a Nogieura vs Gonzaga, but im not sure if that would be classed as a step up for Nog as he just defeated Couture. Maybe have big Nog face loser of Lesnar-Carwin.

i would love to see nogueira get another title shot..i think his showing against couture proves that big nog's still in the mix for title contention..although i'm thinking velasquez and dos santos are right up there as well..plus there fairly new on the scene. i hadn't seen many of cain's fights, but he made an experienced ben rothwell his ******. i'm sure velasquez would make for an interesting match up against either carwin or lesnar..or any heavyweight in the division.

Interesting match-ups. Cain hasn't been tested against any big heavyweights that wrestle. I'd give Lesner and Carwin a huge edge agaisnt Cain. I'm actually a big fan of GG. I'd like to see him get a shot at the winner of Cain/Dos Santos. GG was beating Carwin pretty badly before Carwin knocked him out. I can't see any of these guys beating Lesner though. I give Dos Santos the best chance just because of his tenacity.

Since Cain and Dos Santos are relatively new and undefeated in the UFC, it would be an exciting matchup to square them against each other for #1 HW Contender as they both have defeated a couple of tough opponents (Kongo/Rothwell and Werdum/CroCop respectively) and probably only 1 more big win away from a title shot.

Gonzaga is an interesting aspect too, hes almost like a wildcard. Gonzaga vs Mir would be a great fight. In regards to who can beat Lesnar, well Gonzaga is not quite there yet as Randy out-wrestled him (although that was a while ago). Its too soon for Mir to have a rematch, he needs to add another tool to his game if he faces Lesnar in the future.

If Big Nog fights like he did against Couture he has a fair chance, because his striking was excellent and he is known to endure a beating. But with Cain and Dos Santos, they both have the right attitude to win against Lesnar for the title, the difference is we've seen better wrestling in Cain than Dos Santos, and tenacious striking in Dos Santos. At the moment I give the edge to Cain as we've seen him execute good takedowns after being hit in the Kongo fight. However, fighting the best wrestler in HW division in Lesnar is a whole new game, but if Cain can polish his takedown and ground game (which is already good) then hes got the best chance against Lesnar IMO.

I would love to see Nogueira vs Lesnar either for the title or if Lesnar loses just as a stepping stone for Nog to face Carwin (If he's holding the title). We might actually see what Lesnar's stand up is like seeing as no matter how good his LnP is, if he takes it to the ground with Nogueira he WILL lose the fight, and Nogueira is better(technique) in the stand-up aswell it would just be about if Brock has the power to rock Nogueira, but I genuinely think he is the man to beat Brock, purely because Brock's game is getting the takedown and fighting on the floor, but NOBODY in the heavyweight division would come out on top against Nogueira if they fight horizontally for the 3 rounds. Best ground guy in the division, and probably one of the top 3 in the UFC (can't decide who the top 3 are out of Penn, Maia, GSP and Nog)

I think that Mir is just as good as Nogeuira on the ground BJJ-wise. Mir also is the only fighter to ever submit Lesnar (although it was Lesnar's inexperienced debut). I think the difference between Nogeuira and Mir is Nogeuira can take alot more punishment than Mir and still have a great chance at winning. Nogeuira was even run over by a truck as a kid and he still survived.. That being said, what Nogeuira has over Mir is the ability to catch Lesnar in a submission while being pounded by Lesnars fists.

UFC could match Big Nog vs Shane Carwin for the heavyweight interim title. Thoughts?

... its the 1st time I've seen the word "interim" here, you should try a thread but get your flame-shields in position .. :rolleyes:

I agree that Lesnar could be side-lined for an extended period of time & Carwin should not be placed in limbo (diet scheduling & training) ... if I am Carwin, I want the exposure & I want to fight soon .

Yeah I think Cain is only 1 big win away from a title shot, while Dos Santos is at least 2 big fights away. You could do a Carwin-Cain fight for the interim however Cain just faught and Carwin needs to fight soon so thats unlikely, but if it did happen, Big Nog vs DosSantos would be good as defeating Dos Santos would be a great accomplishment as he knocked out Werdum and basically took away CroCops confidence. This also is unlikely to happen as I believe Big Nog trains Dos Santos?

The best and most convenient fight would be Carwin-Nogeuria for interim. Nogeuria doesnt need a string full of wins for the title shot, hes already a legend and he put one of his best displays of his career against Couture... hes gonna bring it.

1) HW Title - Lesnar vs Carwin

2) Velasquez vs Dos Santos

Winner of (2) faces winner of (1)' date=' and loser of (2) faces Frank Mir.

I would have said winner of Mir vs Kongo (UFC107) faces loser of (2) but if Kongo wins and Velasquez loses then it will be an unneccesary rematch.

Maybe even throw in a Nogieura vs Gonzaga, but im not sure if that would be classed as a step up for Nog as he just defeated Couture. Maybe have big Nog face loser of Lesnar-Carwin.[/quote']

I think Valasquez v Ngog for the challenger makes more sense and is easier to put in place bearing in mind Junior Dos Santos v Gonzaga is already tentitivly in place.

If Dos Santos comes through that then make him the next contender or get him to fight the winner of Mir v Congo for it. You then have your next 2 clear contenders for March/April (Cain/Ngog) and then June/July (Mir/Congo or Dos Santos/Gonzaga) of next year.

While I know people will say neither Congo or Gonzaga should be in the mix IF and its a big IF either of them got through those 2 fights with wins they would deserve a shot. Remember Gonzaga got knocked out by a big heavyweught which can happen to anyone in that division, and Congo took a fight on 4 weeks noticed he wasnt prepared for. They are certainly the outsiders though.

I think that Carwin vs. Dos Santos/Cain/GG should be co-headliner in 106. Carwin has been preparing to fight, so he should have the opportunity to fight. IMO Brock Lesnar will not lose another match in the UFC on the ground. He is too much bigger than Cain/Dos Santos/GG to be beaten on the ground. If he loses, which could easily happen, it will be because a striker like Carwin fed him his right hand. That's the only way I can see Brock losing. I'm not one of these guys saying that Brock can't be beaten, anybody can be beaten, but he is way to strong and too skilled a wrestler to be beaten on the ground again. He won't make the mistake he made against Mir again.

Yeah I think Cain is only 1 big win away from a title shot' date=' while Dos Santos is at least 2 big fights away. You could do a Carwin-Cain fight for the interim however Cain just faught and Carwin needs to fight soon so thats unlikely, but if it did happen, Big Nog vs DosSantos would be good as defeating Dos Santos would be a great accomplishment as he knocked out Werdum and basically took away CroCops confidence. This also is unlikely to happen as I believe Big Nog trains Dos Santos?

The best and most convenient fight would be Carwin-Nogeuria for interim. Nogeuria doesnt need a string full of wins for the title shot, hes already a legend and he put one of his best displays of his career against Couture... hes gonna bring it.[/quote']

dos Santos and nog are training partners, this fight will never happen and i wish everybody would realize that.

dos Santos and nog are training partners' date=' this fight will never happen and i wish everybody would realize that.[/quote']

Ngog is basically his mentor as well as training partner so even more unlikely. You are right that fight is never ever going to happen but it wont stop people constantly suggesting it anyway.

The whole Cain thing sucks because he is one of my favorite fighters but there's no way he'd beat Brock. He's too huge, quick and is a great wrestler. Cain would just be overwhelmed. I think the same thing would happen to Dos Santos but with his knockout power I could see him pulling another Werdum. Nog and maybe even Mir are the only ones I see really beating Lesnar, because they can pull subs out of nowhere. Even Carwin. He's a great wrestler with the size and knockout power to end the fight from anywhere. Be interesting to see what happens.

If Brock can still fight at 108:

UFC 107 Mir vs. Kongo

UFC 107 Duffee vs. Buentello

UFC 108 Lesnar vs. Carwin: Lesnar wins

UFC 108 Gonzaga vs. Dos Santos

UFC 109 Nogueira vs. Velasquez

UFC ??? Mir/Kongo winner vs. Nogueira/Velasquez winner #1 Contender

UFC ??? Duffee/Buentello winner vs. Gonzaga/Dos Santos #2 Contender

If Brock can't fight at 108

UFC 108 Carwin vs. Velasquez

If Brock can still fight at 108:

UFC 107 Mir vs. Kongo

UFC 107 Duffee vs. Buentello

UFC 108 Lesnar vs. Carwin: Lesnar wins

UFC 108 Gonzaga vs. Dos Santos

UFC 109 Nogueira vs. Velasquez

UFC ??? Mir/Kongo winner vs. Nogueira/Velasquez winner #1 Contender

UFC ??? Duffee/Buentello winner vs. Gonzaga/Dos Santos #2 Contender

If Brock can't fight at 108

UFC 108 Carwin vs. Velasquez

If Kongo wins against Mir then Cain wins against Nog it will be an unneccessary Kongo vs Cain 2.. Cains already proven himself against Kongo. Fact is Carwin was gonna face Lesnar in a title shot, so technically hes #1 contender. Lesnar is out, so someone needs to face Carwin for interim and then interim winner faces Lesnar.

Nogieura vs Carwin for interim to face Lesnar

Gonzaga needs a few wins to even think about being contender so put him against Dos Santos

Velasquez vs Mir even if Mir loses to Kongo.

If Kongo wins against Mir then Cain wins against Nog it will be an unneccessary Kongo vs Cain 2.. Cains already proven himself against Kongo. Fact is Carwin was gonna face Lesnar in a title shot' date=' so technically hes #1 contender. Lesnar is out, so someone needs to face Carwin for interim and then interim winner faces Lesnar.

Nogieura vs Carwin for interim to face Lesnar

Gonzaga needs a few wins to even think about being contender so put him against Dos Santos

Velasquez vs Mir even if Mir loses to Kongo.[/quote']

I don't think Kongo can beat Mir, or that Cain can beat Nog for some reason

I don't think Kongo can beat Mir' date=' or that Cain can beat Nog for some reason[/quote']

True, I think Mir will take Kongo down and submit him with a Kimura. If Cain fights Nog it will be his biggest fight to date, and since Cain likes to take people down and ground and pound, and that Nog can take a beating and still win, I think Nog will catch him in an armbar.

Archived