muhamad ali and chuck liddell comparison

xxTRUTHxx

Chuck should return if he wants to. I think he could be competitive at 205, but he certainly wouldn't make another title run. As long as he is cleared health wise, I don't see a problem with it. Boxers, especially back in the 15 round days, took a tremendous pounding compared to MMA fighters. Boxers can get KO'd several times in the same fight, but as long as they regain their composure in 10 seconds, they keep fighting. I'd love to see the Ice Man come back. I'd watch Liddell vs Griffin.

0o0o0o0ok so Lidell lost 4 of his last 5 fights, all against legitimate contenders- Rua, Evans, Wvany, Jardene and Jackson - and 3 of those losses were him getting knocked out. i don not see how anyone can justify him comming back and being a legitimate contender himself? If he still has that feeling that he needs to fight then power to him. but why tarnish a great ufc legacy and come back and get more losses added to your record? would you really want to see him comeback and get a bunch of tune-up fights? Ali took the Larry Holmes fight and when many belived he should't and ended a stellar carerr with 3 out of his last 4 fights ending with losses as well, so as comparrison they have a similar end. other than that though i do not think the two can be compared.

both muhamad ali and chuck liddell retired at the same age and both lost 3 of there last 4 fights.

chuck liddell is looking for a comeback in ufc? should he stay retired' date=' i think he can beat alot of the 205ers[/quote']

I dont know if you can even compare what Muhamad ali did for the sport of boxing to Chuck, No way. But my opinin he should retire. Look how many back to back losses he has. He allready made his mark. To go back in. After he says he was retiring and loose again or even get k.o again. would be a shame. He should train MMA fighters and try to leave another legacy as one of them top notch trainers making champions.

Chuck should return if he wants to. I think he could be competitive at 205' date=' but he certainly wouldn't make another title run. As long as he is cleared health wise, I don't see a problem with it. Boxers, especially back in the 15 round days, took a tremendous pounding compared to MMA fighters. Boxers can get KO'd several times in the same fight, but as long as they regain their composure in 10 seconds, they keep fighting. I'd love to see the Ice Man come back. I'd watch Liddell vs Griffin.[/quote']

I'd watch the iceman fight anyone, he's awesome, he was the winner of the first UFC fight I ever saw.

0o0o0o0ok so Lidell lost 4 of his last 5 fights' date=' all against legitimate contenders- Rua, Evans, Wvany, Jardene and Jackson - and 3 of those losses were him getting knocked out. i don not see how anyone can justify him comming back and being a legitimate contender himself? If he still has that feeling that he needs to fight then power to him. but why tarnish a great ufc legacy and come back and get more losses added to your record? would you really want to see him comeback and get a bunch of tune-up fights? Ali took the Larry Holmes fight and when many belived he should't and ended a stellar carerr with 3 out of his last 4 fights ending with losses as well, so as comparrison they have a similar end. other than that though i do not think the two can be compared.[/quote']Who's Wvany?

And for him to come back and get more losses on his record wouldn't tarnish his legacy at all in the eyes of any reaslistic, mature adult. Every reasonable person realizes that as people get older their skills become less sharp. That's just a fact of life, and stands no chance of tarnishing anyone's record, Chuck's included. Nothing that he does from this point on, (and this could have been said 2 years ago as well) is going to change or take away from any of the accomplishments he's made in the past. The only people who may consider it as tarnishing are young immature children, and adults with mental illnesses.

I don't think Chuck should come back...

It'll probably just hurt his record more...

but I heard he still has 3 fights left on his contract so it's all up to him if he wants to fight those last 3 or not...

He'd probably tear through a new guy then fight a contender and get knocked out again...

when chuck retired i beleive his contract was nullified

when chuck retired i beleive his contract was nullified
Nah' date=' that's never the case. These contracts allow fighters to retire while still under them. If retirement was all it took to nullify a contract, then this is all fighters would have to do to get out of their contracts and go fight for other organizations.

Yeah, he's still under contract.

I don't think Chuck should come back...

It'll probably just hurt his record more...

but I heard he still has 3 fights left on his contract so it's all up to him if he wants to fight those last 3 or not...

He'd probably tear through a new guy then fight a contender and get knocked out again...

Like I just got done explaining, it won't hurt his record at all.

I dont know if you can even compare what Muhamad ali did for the sport of boxing to Chuck' date=' No way. But my opinin he should retire. Look how many back to back losses he has. He allready made his mark. To go back in. After he says he was retiring and loose again or even get k.o again. would be a shame. He should train MMA fighters and try to leave another legacy as one of them top notch trainers making champions.[/quote']What Ali did for boxing? Boxing was already hugely popular before anyone ever even knew who Ali was, even back before anyone knew him as Cassius Clay. Chuck Liddell helped bring MMA into mainstream, and is still the biggest/most poplular name in all of MMA, so I'm not sure how you could make such a statement as "I don't know if you can even compare what Muhammad Ali did for the sport of boxing to Chuck, No way." Considering the fact that Muhammad Ali (who was indeed a great boxer) didn't do much at all for the sport, and Chuck did everything for his respective sport, I'd say you're slightly off in your judgment.

And why would it be a shame for him to lose or get knocked out again? It wouldn't be a shame at all. It's Chuck's life, not yours. If he enjoys fighting that much, and it gives him pleasure in his life, why should he not do it? Because you don't want him to? lol, that's very poor reasoning in my opinion.

His legend is assured' date=' hall of famer, longest raining lhw champ, nothing to prove, stay retired chuck, seek out new avenues such as dancing :)[/quote']Why do you make the assumption that he's doing it with the intent to "PROVE" something, and not just for his own personal satisfaction?

Who's Wvany?

And for him to come back and get more losses on his record wouldn't tarnish his legacy at all in the eyes of any reaslistic' date=' mature adult. Every reasonable person realizes that as people get older their skills become less sharp. That's just a fact of life, and stands no chance of tarnishing anyone's record, Chuck's included. Nothing that he does from this point on, (and this could have been said 2 years ago as well) is going to change or take away from any of the accomplishments he's made in the past. The only people who may consider it as tarnishing are young immature children, and adults with mental illnesses.[/quote']

i forgot the d and hit the v by mistake, i should be crusified lol - he spells his name Wanderlei Silva, shame on me.....

and as far as saying that only immature children would feel this way about hving his legacy tarneshed how so? there is only one fight that i can think of that wouldnt do this, the tito lidell fight that people want to see, other than that sadly i would have to disagree with that statement. when i hear people talking about chuck lidell unfortunately what i hear is " he use to be great". which is true, he will go down in history as one of the best fighters for the sport and just flat out because he dominated his opponents for years in the ring. why would he want to come back and be remembered as the guy who didn't know when to stop? not everyone that fights is Randy and can fight into their 60's. I honestly will have a hard time saying that chuck was one of the greatest ever with out adding untill the end if he continues to fight and looses. and on top of that i do not want to see such an epic fighter go down that road. its painfull for me to see someone continuously get defeated in fights that he could have won in his prime.

i would assume by your post that you are angry because you got banned for another post judging by your 1 post as of this one, and probally got the ban because of a dissagreement with me in another thread. i am sorry for you that you get so emotional over another persons opinion's of this sport of it's fighters, but why post your thoughts in this type of forum if you are not interested in the thoughts and views of others? this is a place for fans to come and discuss their thoguths and views and in no way did i stray form that in my previous post. that is how i feel. i hope someone close to you gives you a hug at some point in the day because clearly you need one :)

i forgot the d and hit the v by mistake' date=' i should be crusified lol - he spells his name Wanderlei Silva, shame on me.....

and as far as saying that only immature children would feel this way about hving his legacy tarneshed how so? there is only one fight that i can think of that wouldnt do this, the tito lidell fight that people want to see, other than that sadly i would have to disagree with that statement. when i hear people talking about chuck lidell unfortunately what i hear is " he use to be great". which is true, he will go down in history as one of the best fighters for the sport and just flat out because he dominated his opponents for years in the ring. why would he want to come back and be remembered as the guy who didn't know when to stop? not everyone that fights is Randy and can fight into their 60's. I honestly will have a hard time saying that chuck was one of the greatest ever with out adding untill the end if he continues to fight and looses. and on top of that i do not want to see such an epic fighter go down that road. its painfull for me to see someone continuously get defeated in fights that he could have won in his prime.

i would assume by your post that you are angry because you got banned for another post judging by your 1 post as of this one, and probally got the ban because of a dissagreement with me in another thread. i am sorry for you that you get so emotional over another persons opinion's of this sport of it's fighters, but why post your thoughts in this type of forum if you are not interested in the thoughts and views of others? this is a place for fans to come and discuss their thoguths and views and in no way did i stray form that in my previous post. that is how i feel. i hope someone close to you gives you a hug at some point in the day because clearly you need one :) [/quote']

i forgot the d and hit the v by mistake' date=' i should be crusified lol - he spells his name Wanderlei Silva, shame on me.....[/quote']I'm sorry that you wasted your time defending something which had nothing to do with my point. I truly didn't know what you meant by that, because.......... Chuck never lost to Wanderlei, he beat him via unanimous decision, so I had no idea who the hell you were talking about, as "Wvany" hasn't even any resemblance to Wandy, or Wanderlei.

and as far as saying that only immature children would feel this way about hving his legacy tarneshed how so?
Just that fact that you would ask this question represents immaturity. As an adult' date=' I realize that it's just a fact of life, that a baby is born, it becomes stronger and grows into a man/woman, lives through it's prime, then begins to deteriorate, grows old, then dies. This is just the natural process of life, so I don't look down on a fighter because he's in the latter stages of this natural process which every single other fighter will go through as well. So yeah, along with my understanding of this general process, I also realize that Chuck specifically, goes through this same process, just as every other human being goes through. How could any mature adult allow this natural process of life to cause them to view someone's legacy as being tarnished? Does something that simple and self explanitory really need to be explained to you? If so, that's unbelievable.

Chuck was a great fighter, and proved it throughout his prime, and nothing he or anyone else does now can take that away. Therefor his legacy will not be tarnished, regardless of what he chooses to do from this point on.

My point in using the example of comparing a immature child to a mature adult, was to illustrate that it would be expected that a mature adult could comprehend the plain and simple logic behind that facts I stated, while an immature child might have trouble comprehending such a concept. I stand behind my claim 100%..... Just as all mature adults do/would.

why would he want to come back and be remembered as the guy who didn't know when to stop? not everyone that fights is Randy and can fight into their 60's.
A mature and logical adult would have too much common sense to allow himself to remember a fighter based on such criteria. And regarding the Randy comparison, you're making the assumption that Chuck's motivations are identical to his.

I honestly will have a hard time saying that chuck was one of the greatest ever with out adding untill the end if he continues to fight and looses.
Again' date=' this demonstrates your lack of reasoning skills. As a mature and logical adult, I don't "NEED" to see George Forman actually fight the top heavyweights of the world today to know that he will get beat by them. I know what the result will be just by common sense. So... does this knowlege of the fact that he will get beat tarnish his legacy? Absolutely not, because it's a given that this will happen because George is an old man, far past his prime. lIkewise, if George was to actually come out of retirement, and to fight this top competition, and ultimately get beat, it still wouldn't tarnish his record, because after all, we already knew that he would get beat anyway, even before he fought, or at least we suspected it due to his age and condition. This same example can be applied to any fighter. Whether any fighter actually fights a fight or not, has no bearing on what his actual skill level and abilities are. What Chuck is physically capable of doing right now, is what he's physically capable of doing right now, "REGARDLESS" of whether he fights or not, so yes, the fact that whether the fight actually happens or not, changes your opinion of a fighter, does honestly make me suspect that you're young, and very immature, or else that you have some mental issues. Do you think if we were to take Chuck and hide him away and prevent him from fighting Rampage, due to the fact that Rampage would surely knock him out again if they fight, somehow helps his legacy? Is that what you beleive, even though we're intelligent enough to know that he will get knocked out? "Oh, let's just not let them fight, that way we can "PRETEND" that Chuck would actually beat Rampage right now if they were to fight again, thus creating a fantasy legacy for him" Sorry man, that's childish thinking. Chuck is what he is, and can't beat many fighters out there, and we know this regardless of whether he fights to prove it or not.

i would assume by your post that you are angry
I haven't read the rest of this particular paragraph that you typed yet, but I'll stop you right here at your first mistake. Angry? Sorry ,man, but I'm not angry in the slightest bit, and in fact am not even upset in the slightest bit. On the contrary, I'm in a wonderful mood, with a smile on my face. Just out of curiosity, why don't you go back and highlight all the places where you perceived any anger on my part? That ought to be an interesting task for you. I'll be interested to see these examples as well.

because you got banned for another post judging by your 1 post as of this one' date=' and probally got the ban because of a dissagreement with me in another thread.[/quote']Once again your have shown poor judgment, because as with everything else in your post, you are wrong once again. I've been visiting this site since before it switched from ufc.tv, to ufc.com, but have just decided to visit the forum for the first time today. I have never seen you before, and have no idea who you are. And also, people like you don't even have the ability to make me angry at all, let alone to the point of doing something to get banned. I don't commit banable offenses. I'm a several year member of many forums, and a moderator on two, you don't have to worry about me ever being banned. I'll still be right here many many years from now.

but why post your thoughts in this type of forum if you are not interested in the thoughts and views of others?
Hmmm... It's very difficult to carry on conversations with people who make incoherent statements such as this. Using your own odd way of understanding' date=' please at attempt to explain to me the logic behind that ridiculous question. I am interested in other peoples thoughts, that's precisely the reason why I'm here, and why I read, and responded to your post. In your mind do you beleive it's required for one person to agree with the statement of another in order for them to be interested in it? The more you type, the more and more difficult it is to follow your logic, or rather lack there of.

this is a place for fans to come and discuss their thoguths and views and in no way did i stray form that in my previous post.
Finally, we agree on something. Yes, you're very correct, this is a place for fans to come and discuss their thoughts and views... Are you so far out of touch with reality that you're incapable of realizing that that's exactly what we're doing?

in no way did i stray form that in my previous post.
Nor did I' date=' so I don't see what the issue is here?

i hope someone close to you gives you a hug at some point in the day because clearly you need one
Meh, my wifes head on my shoulder, and my daughter clinging to my leg as I type is satisfactory to me at the moment. And I'm quite confident that I'll get several more hugs from them by the end of the day, just as I do every day.

I fully expect that you won't respond to my individual quoted directly, and within their intended context, and I also fully expect your responses to lack any depth or substance. However, I'm open to being proved wrong.

Next time you may want to spend a little more time in ponderation before you reply to someone's post.

Nah' date=' that's never the case. These contracts allow fighters to retire while still under them. If retirement was all it took to nullify a contract, then this is all fighters would have to do to get out of their contracts and go fight for other organizations.

Yeah, he's still under contract.

Oh, why not. He can be a excelent journey fighter, now.

Like I just got done explaining, it won't hurt his record at all.

It wont hurt his record because he allready has back to back losses. Why,not make it 3, oppz i forgot he allready has 3, oppz i ment 4, rua, evans, jardine, jackson., Well, why not make it 5.

What Ali did for boxing? Boxing was already hugely popular before anyone ever even knew who Ali was, even back before anyone knew him as Cassius Clay. Chuck Liddell helped bring MMA into mainstream, and is still the biggest/most poplular name in all of MMA, so I'm not sure how you could make such a statement as "I don't know if you can even compare what Muhammad Ali did for the sport of boxing to Chuck, No way." Considering the fact that Muhammad Ali (who was indeed a great boxer) didn't do much at all for the sport, and Chuck did everything for his respective sport, I'd say you're slightly off in your judgment.

And why would it be a shame for him to lose or get knocked out again? It wouldn't be a shame at all. It's Chuck's life, not yours. If he enjoys fighting that much, and it gives him pleasure in his life, why should he not do it? Because you don't want him to? lol, that's very poor reasoning in my opinion.

MMA was way poplar before i new who chuck was, Maybe because i probaly been watching and training in this sport when you were watching G.I. Joe on T.V and i was watching UFC 1 and seeing R.Gracie Sub everyone in sight watching Rings and Pride When Fedor beat the daylights out of Big Nog . Unless, you just started watching at the time Chuck was around. I can see you nothing about boxing and what ali did for the boxing sport from your ignorance.

Why do you make the assumption that he's doing it with the intent to "PROVE" something, and not just for his own personal satisfaction?[/quote']

Who knows. Who cares. If he comes back, He comes back. I dont see him really doing anything. Everybody pretty much knows what to expect. The counter right hand. I just hate to see him getting knocked out again and retiring again or keep on fighting. He left his mark. Its time to move on.

Chuck should return if he wants to. I think he could be competitive at 205' date=' but he certainly wouldn't make another title run. As long as he is cleared health wise, I don't see a problem with it. Boxers, especially back in the 15 round days, took a tremendous pounding compared to MMA fighters. Boxers can get KO'd several times in the same fight, but as long as they regain their composure in 10 seconds, they keep fighting. I'd love to see the Ice Man come back. I'd watch Liddell vs Griffin.[/quote']

I completly agree with this. Chuck would be a good contender but i dont think he can come back for a shot at the title again theres to much competition on the top.

Who knows. Who cares. If he comes back' date=' He comes back. I dont see him really doing anything. Everybody pretty much knows what to expect. The counter right hand. I just hate to see him getting knocked out again and retiring again or keep on fighting. He left his mark. Its time to move on.[/quote']So you want him to quit for your own selfish reasons? Let him live his life the way he wants to... The way that gives him the most joy.

It's time to move on iffffff.... that's what he chooses to do. If he chooses to fight, then that's what it's time to do.

If you're a fighter and you want to quit fighting, go ahead and quit, but don't tell him that he needs to.

So you want him to quit for your own selfish reasons? Let him live his life the way he wants to... The way that gives him the most joy.

It's time to move on iffffff.... that's what he chooses to do. If he chooses to fight' date=' then that's what it's time to do.

If you're a fighter and you want to quit fighting, go ahead and quit, but don't tell him that he needs to.[/quote']

Whos telling him to quit. I dont even no the man, haha. If he chooses to, great. I wouldnt pay to see him fight again or put him in a main even right away. But i would defently watch it on youtube. But hey if he comes back and knocks out his next 3 oppenent's, great. Im just saying he has back to back losses and if he losses again. People are not going to remember his legacy and what he did. There going to remember the back to back losses and how he came back from saying he was retired and lossing again, Unfortuanly.

u hate Giffin do you? the Iceman will knock him out!

Whos telling him to quit. I dont even no the man' date=' haha. If he chooses to, great. I wouldnt pay to see him fight again or put him in a main even right away. But i would defently watch it on youtube. But hey if he comes back and knocks out his next 3 oppenent's, great. Im just saying he has back to back losses and if he losses again. People are not going to remember his legacy and what he did. There going to remember the back to back losses and how he came back from saying he was retired and lossing again, Unfortuanly.[/quote']Well, that may be the only thing that people with bad memories remember. It certainly wouldn't prevent me from remembering his past achievments.

Archived