Marcus' Striking is Atrocious

Rob_Lazarus

I thought it looked pretty weak on TUF but I went and looked up some of his previous fights on YouTube.

His striking looks like he's punching through a giant mass of jelly. Or like he's in a cage fight underwater. He'll never knock out anyone with any remote striking ability.

Once he faces someone in the UFC he can't take down and submit, he's ****ed. Any fighter in the HW division in the UFC would tool this guy on the feet.

I thought it looked pretty weak on TUF but I went and looked up some of his previous fights on YouTube.

His striking looks like he's punching through a giant mass of jelly. Or like he's in a cage fight underwater. He'll never knock out anyone with any remote striking ability.

Once he faces someone in the UFC he can't take down and submit' date=' he's ****ed. Any fighter in the HW division in the UFC would tool this guy on the feet.[/quote']

Yeah some OLD videos. Obviously he is no god at striking but 6 weeks of training in TUF house has got to make you better.

We'll see though...

He admits himself that he needs to improve his striking' date=' he prefers to be on the ground.[/quote']

I know, but admitting that you need to improve your striking and improving it our two different things. Koscheck for example knew he needed to improve his striking, and now he's vicious on the feet.

Jake Shields admittedly needs to work on his striking, yet he still looks whack on the feet.

I think if he feels like he can fall back on his ground game too much he won't ever significantly improve his striking.

His striking rucks, but he could probably win by KO or TKO if he just rushes at someone with that power... he did it in training, don't remember when... just exploded, ofc not amazing technical strikes but that power + some explosveness doesn't need too much technique to KO someone... Ofc that wont save him in a fight, just saying he isn't hopeless on his feet.

Agree with the Kos statement... he sucked majorly on his stand up, now he is feared on his feet. I'd like if Marcus put some effort into a new stance for starters, and more defense... i think he's probably too slow to bang the whole fight, and who'd want to with those jj skills. Just show him how to stand and throw a punch, just so people don't get too confident with him standing, imo... Maybe some muay thai, his kness would KO a charging bull.

Rampage's hilarious "Black Frankenstein" comment was spot on. I wonder if he just doesn't have it in him to pound someone. He's so massive and powerful yet kind in his demeanor. Maybe that's why he likes to use submissions. He will have to improve the striking dramatically to be a force, though. Then again, Lesnar is pretty terrible at striking too -- at least for a champion. He fights like the Juggernaut in the comics.

The other problem for Marcus is he is kinda old to be the this rough. By the time he is well-rounded, it will be time to retire.

All that said, I am totally hoping he wins it.

Archived