UFC 104 Fight salaries

Rib

I think the fighters for the most part make decent money, they could make a little more though. I think most of the world belives fighters in mma are under paid because they compare them to top athletes in other sports that make millions, which is way to much. 35,000 for 15 mins is fan fukcin-tastic. I worked my **** of last year and only made 87,000 dollars, and I put in way more than 15 mins.

I think the fighters for the most part make decent money' date=' they could make a little more though. I think most of the world belives fighters in mma are under paid because they compare them to top athletes in other sports that make millions, which is way to much. 35,000 for 15 mins is fan fukcin-tastic. I worked my **** of last year and only made 87,000 dollars, and I put in way more than 15 mins.[/quote']

yea but you have to think of the few months of intense training they put their bodies throug before the fight

yea but you have to think of the few months of intense training they put their bodies throug before the fight

What about my training, for years of college, room and board, food, endless hours of study, mental torture. Doctors dont make as much as alot of these fighters... I love mma more than any grown man should, but I belive that there is a resonable amout fighters should make and the best make plenty (for the most part).

I think the fighters for the most part make decent money' date=' they could make a little more though. I think most of the world belives fighters in mma are under paid because they compare them to top athletes in other sports that make millions, which is way to much. 35,000 for 15 mins is fan fukcin-tastic. I worked my **** of last year and only made 87,000 dollars, and I put in way more than 15 mins.[/quote']

so according to you they are making that much money in 15 minutes

let me tell this , they put themselve in training for months , they suffer injuries , etc , etc.. Trust me you work your 40 - 50 hours a week and you probably dont even work the whole 50 hours ( breaks , time that there is nothing to do , etc , etc ) .. But these guys can not cheat , they have to work, work , work and everytime they work they go home with bruises , injuries which they have to suck up ... The average person will not able to do that everyday..

Not only that you go home and eat and do whatever you want.. Most of these fighters are atheltes therefore when they go home ( and most of them dont even get to see their famly) they have to eat healthy , they are public people so they can not just go out crazy whereeve they want ... Most of them leave their families behind so that they dont interfer with there job

Also whatever money they are making 50% probably goes on taxes plus they have to pay their trainners too.. Not only that but imagine a fighter gets injure and can not fight for 6 months ??...

UFC really does not pay much ..Cain velasquez took home 70 000 with a 35 000 win bonus, then he has to pay taxes so he probably took home 35 000 , then he has to pay his trainners probably 10 000 , so he takes home 25 000 and he my friend is a main event fighter !!, sure sponsors and payperview share adds up , but still if you compare mma fighter to other atletes they are making peanuts !! and trust me most mma fighters train a lot harder than most atletes

so according to you they are making that much money in 15 minutes

let me tell this ' date=' they put themselve in training for months , they suffer injuries , etc , etc.. Trust me you work your 40 - 50 hours a week and you probably dont even work the whole 50 hours ( breaks , time that there is nothing to do , etc , etc ) .. But these guys can not cheat , they have to work, work , work and everytime they work they go home with bruises , injuries which they have to suck up ... The average person will not able to do that everyday..

Not only that you go home and eat and do whatever you want.. Most of these fighters are atheltes therefore when they go home ( and most of them dont even get to see their famly) they have to eat healthy , they are public people so they can not just go out crazy whereeve they want ... Most of them leave their families behind so that they dont interfer with there job

Also whatever money they are making 50% probably goes on taxes plus they have to pay their trainners too.. Not only that but imagine a fighter gets injure and can not fight for 6 months ??...

UFC really does not pay much ..Cain velasquez took home 70 000 with a 35 000 win bonus, then he has to pay taxes so he probably took home 35 000 , then he has to pay his trainners probably 10 000 , so he takes home 25 000 and he my friend is a main event fighter !!, sure sponsors and payperview share adds up , but still if you compare mma fighter to other atletes they are making peanuts !! and trust me most mma fighters train a lot harder than most atletes[/quote']

I understand your argument, but your calculations on the taxes the fighters pay is borderline silly (I was being kind there).

you forget that most fighters at the UFC level train 24/7, or at least 5 days a week, then go into 3-4 month (sometimes more for the more dedicated fighters) training camps where they train harder and on specific game plans for their opponent. i've lost count of how many times i've heard "the fight is the easiest part" coming from the mouth of an MMA fighter.

what did you work your **** off doing? i'm sure you didnt have to nurse broken hands, ribs, etc while doing it all, at least, i hope not.

Do you really get taxed half your paycheck in USA? wow.. imagine being an undercard fighter for only 5 grand.

dont quote me on that ... But i heard that from another member..

In canada we get about 20 % off but sometimes even more , the more you make the more tax they take out...

But still to be an athlete they make peanuts...

I recently heard war machine in an interview saying he makes more money outside the ufc , and the ufc is fun and the place to be but it sucks paying their fighters

Its not that great i dnt think, when u consider that they have to pay their coaches, management and sparring partners, and 35000 is for the upper end athletes. Guys on the lower end get a lot lot less, especially the prelim guys. On the other hand im sure they make a fair few dollars in sponsorship

What about ultra gains tax. When you make ridiculous amounts of money. I believe its 45%.

thats what i meant... Tax in canada is 20% but lets say someone that makes over a certain amount can pay up to 35-45 %...

In overtime i pay about 45% and thats A FACT

Fighters also make quite abit of money from there sponsors to and some have alot of them i think they make plenty of money i have yet to see one driving a pinto or living in a run down apt IMO they should make more then most athletes but the bigger your sport is the more you make and lets face it mma is not near as big as football or baseball quiet yet(hopefully one day)

the amounts of money these world class athletes get paid is embarrassing they deserve 10x these amounts...

+1

I no boxing is a different sport but Calzaghe against RJJ was reported to take home $20 after taxes and then sponsors and ppv total! Either that is far to much or MMA fighters are getting far to little!

Some guys brought home some nice cash. I was suprised to see Cain only make $35' date='000 then get a win bonus of $35,000; I thought he would make more than that.

http://bumpyknuckle.com/2009/10/28/ufc-104-fighter-base-salaries/

Johnson still made out pretty good considering he didnt make weight[/quote']

The pay isn't incredible but you have to remember that most of these fighters are making pretty good money in sponsorships as well. I don't think they are struggling to make ends meet.

I guess one thing I neglected to take into consideration is the fact that Cain prob signed a contract with the UFC for X number of fights and was nothing more than a promising fighter at the time. So he signs for X number of fights at $35,000. Now that he's turned into a stud that looks like chump change, when his contract ends i'm sure that base will probably at least double.

All the salaries they make public are all bonuses to the fighters. When a fighter, like Hendo, argues a contract, they are arguing certain moneys per fight - ie: $500,000 per fight/6 fight contract (totalling $3,000,000). So, in addition to this, they also make 'bonuses' which are based on gate revenue from the ppv's. The higher up on the ppv, the more percentage of gate is granted. If a title fight is on the card, again more money (for all fighters because gate revenue is generally higher).

Did anyone hear what Dana was offering Fedor? I did.

All the salaries they make public are all bonuses to the fighters. When a fighter' date=' like Hendo, argues a contract, they are arguing certain moneys per fight - ie: $500,000 per fight/6 fight contract (totalling $3,000,000). So, in addition to this, they also make 'bonuses' which are based on gate revenue from the ppv's. The higher up on the ppv, the more percentage of gate is granted. If a title fight is on the card, again more money (for all fighters because gate revenue is generally higher).

Did anyone hear what Dana was offering Fedor? I did.[/quote']

Are you going to share?

Plus....

Wasn't it Fitch who was also in a contract dispute over getting paid (enough anyway) for having his image used for the game and for the action figures? This stuff is definetly argued into contracts. As well as all the appearances they do. There salary includes a lot of things, but the bonuses they get each fight are just that...fight bonuses.

don't forget , these guys are running themselves as a company. If they make $35k, they pay trainers, managers, etc. off the top, before taxes are calculated. All the write offs. travel, lodging, everything. Most of the lower paid guys can get away with not paying any taxes. If they own a gym, they can write off the whole thing. Creative accounting. lol

ie: purse = $50,000, less trainer($7500) less manager($10,000), less gym payments(3 months $3000) less travel($1500), less restaurant meals($2700, $30/day-90 days). all this jsut to start, so he pays tax on $25,000, and that is being easy on the gym payments.

don't forget ' date=' these guys are running themselves as a company. If they make $35k, they pay trainers, managers, etc. off the top, before taxes are calculated. All the write offs. travel, lodging, everything. Most of the lower paid guys can get away with not paying any taxes. If they own a gym, they can write off the whole thing. Creative accounting. lol

ie: purse = $50,000, less trainer($7500) less manager($10,000), less gym payments(3 months $3000) less travel($1500), less restaurant meals($2700, $30/day-90 days). all this jsut to start, so he pays tax on $25,000, and that is being easy on the gym payments.[/quote']

srry but thats what their sponsors are for, that pays for training camps, food, travel, all other expenses

You can't seriously believe that all he did was fight for that money? Like all good fighters he also trained and trained and trained some more before hand. He also had a lot of expenses associated with his training and traveling I'm sure. Then he has to pay taxes out of that 35k. I'd say these fighters aren't paid nearly what they should be considering the revenues the are creating for the UFC. Hell Pat Barry was so broke before his fight he was living on white rice and ketchup apparently. A few top fighters make very good money, a lot barely make enough to cover expenses I'd bet. They also risk injury every day, injuries that can lead to them making nothing. Enough said.

All the salaries they make public are all bonuses to the fighters. When a fighter' date=' like Hendo, argues a contract, they are arguing certain moneys per fight - ie: $500,000 per fight/6 fight contract (totalling $3,000,000). So, in addition to this, they also make 'bonuses' which are based on gate revenue from the ppv's. The higher up on the ppv, the more percentage of gate is granted. If a title fight is on the card, again more money (for all fighters because gate revenue is generally higher).

Did anyone hear what Dana was offering Fedor? I did.[/quote']

First, Hendo has never had a contract for $500 a fight. I believe he made like $240k against Bisping before bonuses. Also, I'm pretty sure most fighters don't get a cut of the PPV. Only the top ones do. And frankly, getting a cut of the PPV can suck if it's not a great card. It also can suck for the fans as it leads to fighters picking and choosing what cards they want to be on. Why would Anderson Silva, who has a PPV % in his contract, want to fight on a card that brings in 500k viewers if he can hold off 3 months and fight at new years on a card that brings in a million viewers? They should do away with PPV cut period imho. They should also pay lower ranked fighters more. It's pathetic that some of these guys are making 7-8k a fight.

First' date=' Hendo has never had a contract for $500 a fight. I believe he made like $240k against Bisping before bonuses. Also, I'm pretty sure most fighters don't get a cut of the PPV. Only the top ones do. And frankly, getting a cut of the PPV can suck if it's not a great card. It also can suck for the fans as it leads to fighters picking and choosing what cards they want to be on. Why would Anderson Silva, who has a PPV % in his contract, want to fight on a card that brings in 500k viewers if he can hold off 3 months and fight at new years on a card that brings in a million viewers? They should do away with PPV cut period imho. They should also pay lower ranked fighters more. It's pathetic that some of these guys are making 7-8k a fight.[/quote']

Look at my posts in this thread...I never said Hendo is/has made $500G a fight. I gave an example of a typical contract. Also, contracts are laden with incentives and other ways to increase their earnings. PPV cuts are part of that...just like merchandising is. I do agree with you about some of the lower guys not making much money. It doesn't seem like they do according to their 'bonuses' for fighting. In reality, if you get employed in any job you don't automatically get the corner office with 6 figures. Instead, you take the intern position (undercard), hoping someone see's your worthiness to get a promotion. Thems the breaks in life.

im shocked that razak al-hassan only made $3000 for training like 3 months. thats absolutely worthless. i know he isnt a big name at all, and also kinda sucks, but still for a professional athlete to make only that much, that totals to only $12,000 a year. pathetic

MMA fighters needs to unionize like the NBA and NFL did so they can get paid like the professional, world class athletes that they are

134' date='000. 60,000 for each bonus. Still I nice little pay check I must admit. Especially for a guy who was outright broke going into the fights.[/quote']

yeah you are right, my bad.

But true, 0$ to his name, a suppose check of 14K turns to 6 digits, did he cry even more after he was awarded the awards? i would have

let's say the PPV generates 500, 000 purchases. At 50 a crack that works out to 25 million. Minus at best 5 million for the fighters salaries. Not sure what it costs to run all the advertising for the events and the cost for producing a PPV, but I'll bet the $2 million they make on the gate cover's those expenses. That's 20 million in the UFC's pocket every PPV and that's the low end. And don't forget what Bud Light and Harley Davidson pays to have their logo's in the ring. These guys should be getting a lot more than what they are. Here's hoping that Dana starts paying these guys before they go the way of boxing and each fighter has his own promoter and does their own cards. How much do you think Silva and Lyoto would make if they fought each other and promoted their own card and arranged their own undercards. I'm guessing they could take 10 - 15 million each. Give it time, these fighters aren't goons, they are intelligent and eventually if they don't get their share it will happen.

Some guys brought home some nice cash. I was suprised to see Cain only make $35' date='000 then get a win bonus of $35,000; I thought he would make more than that.

http://bumpyknuckle.com/2009/10/28/ufc-104-fighter-base-salaries/

Johnson still made out pretty good considering he didnt make weight[/quote']

Dana also mentioned that Rumble missed out on the KO of the night bonus because he missed weight...Dana said Rumble would have gotten that bonus...an expensive 6 lbs

im shocked that razak al-hassan only made $3000 for training like 3 months. thats absolutely worthless. i know he isnt a big name at all' date=' and also kinda sucks, but still for a professional athlete to make only that much, that totals to only $12,000 a year. pathetic

MMA fighters needs to unionize like the NBA and NFL did so they can get paid like the professional, world class athletes that they are[/quote']

I would have to agree. It's pretty pathetic to pay a guy such a little amount for all that training. You would think he would at least get 7-10k.

That does suck. I think best thing to do is learn wrestling boxing BJJ all while young i started at age 5.. And as u get older lift weights and just TRY to have a few fights in a lower org without any trainers ect just do it yourself that may motivate you more for some serious ko's because you know whats on the line. Then as you get some money together then get a camp. Some prob do, do that but it seems like a lot to juggle. These MMA fighters def need more money.

Archived