Lidell working on his jujitsu with Eddie Bravo

freedom

There is really no point for doing this IMO. He is a purple belt already and isn't going to make huge leaps and bounds in the short amount of time he has left. He already has enough BJJ to defend against it, along with his wrestling and TDD.

He is a stand-up fighter. He would have been better served working on his striking technique, footwork, and keeping his damn chin down more than his BJJ

His takedown defence is not what it was' date=' it's probably in his best interest to work on his jiu-jitsu in preperation for facing someone like Tito.[/quote']

What makes you say that? Shogun took him down, but Shogun has very good takedowns

He also has enough grappling to deal with Tito already

Being 40-years-old that he is and as slow as Bob Sapp that he's become as well' date=' is a good reason to change his strategy a bit, you know.[/quote']

Its too late for that. He has this fight and maybe one more and he'll be done. There is no point changing your style for 2 fights.

Just refine what your good at

What makes you say that? Shogun took him down' date=' but Shogun has very good takedowns

He also has enough grappling to deal with Tito already[/quote']

Fair point, I was just trying to think of a reason why he would bother and that came to mind, most of the things in his game seem to have deteriorated with time: his speed, explosiveness, chin and Shogun took him down with relative ease so I'm assuming his takedown defense is following suit.

Maybe he wants to suprise Tito by pulling guard and omoplattering his ****.

I don't think it is a bad idea for Chuck to try to broaden his ground game. On the other hand I think Chuck should stick to the game plan that brought him two victories by stoppage over Tito. Unlike Shogun, Tito does not have knockout power and I think Chuck's takedown defense can stuff Tito's wrestling. But If I am wrong it would not be a bad thing to have a strategy for fighting out of the guard.

The problem is that if he's slow' date=' then no refining will help that. But he can still be successful on the ground. Grappling isn't new to him, is it?[/quote']

He's always been slow! He's not freaking Vitor with his hand speed. He just caught people with little striking ability from strange angles.

And no, grappling isn't new to him. He is a Purple belt in BJJ

There is really no point for doing this IMO. He is a purple belt already and isn't going to make huge leaps and bounds in the short amount of time he has left. He already has enough BJJ to defend against it' date=' along with his wrestling and TDD.

He is a stand-up fighter. He would have been better served working on his striking technique, footwork, and keeping his damn chin down more than his BJJ[/quote']

Agreed. Time wasted, he's not going to use BJJ. Unless he's anticipating Tito's wrestling to be too much for him, which remains to be seen.

Hopefully he drops down to middleweight and fight couple easy fights and retires with pride.

He can definitely make it to middle weight. Chuck just drinks so much which is why he has the gut. If he trained cardio more he make it. He eats too many cheese burgers too. Chuck made 199 pounds too so 185 can be done with diet and workout changes. Get him out of the pit. Hackleman is keeping chuck sheltered and he cant learn anything new

Archived