Free agent Henderson defends his UFC salary demands - w/ video

TigerChamp

newest update on the hendo situation

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Free-agent-Henderson-defends-his-UFC-salary-dema;_ylt=Ats.CkzER1ntuJqdcWcoJ8YMNwU6?urn=mma,198773

"I know that they've signed other deals that are a lot more than my deal or what I'm asking for. I'm always a fair guy and I'm not trying to hold anyone oer a barrel."

Henderson suggests it's closer than people think:

"Sure we're at a little bit of sticking point but either way I'm pretty confident I'll be fighting first of February."

Henderson said he's willing to walk from the UFC but he understands their position. He'll be at the Strikeforce event next week in Chicago cornering Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

Hendo is in the same class as Randy and the rest of the Hall of Famers, IMO, as far as his contribution to the sport. Because of this, he deserves what he is asking. No, I don't know what he IS asking, but I don't see Hendo as someone who is in it for a payday alone. He has said a lot of honest, rational, respectful things since this contract dispute came out, and I respect that.

I also think if he had been a lifelong UFC fighter, this would not be happening to him. Further, I think this is also a good publicity angle the UFC is using to hype a future event with Hendo. Both sides don't seem to be TOO worried about it, so that tells me it will happen.

Hendo makes any card reputable!!!!!

Like most sportsman he probably gets paid way too much anyway! Greed gets the better of most.

Are you f'n kidding me? Do you even realize what these guys make for putting their lives on the line in each fight? Henderson should be getting 500k a fight but instead get gets around 150k before any bonuses. You should do yourself a favor and look up this topic before posting, noob.

Henderson isn't a draw like Lesnar but his amazing MMA career speaks for itself.

i think its bogus the rumors going around some people were substantiating a claim that he wanted $5 million a fight!!! that is ridiculous and nobody would ever demand for that much.

"He'd like to think that's true, you know I disagree. And feel like I'm worth more than they're offering. And I don't feel like I'm asking for way too much."

Some rumors unconfirmed rumors have place the number at $5 million per fight. White said Henderson is asking for more than anyone else in the UFC currently makes:

that is completely false. we don't know what dan wanted and what dana would try to reason him for. it was totally between them. obviously the journalists make up a $5 million/fight thing to fuel some fire.

give them something controversial to make him look like a joke. there is nothing and nobody in the world that could convince me dan would even consider asking for that much. what mma fighter pulls over 500 thou for a fight? 5 million?? get real!!

anyways bottom line, instead of arguing with each other over how much he should be paid, the fact of the matter is that dan feels like he is underpaid, and dana doesn't want to come to terms.

what is this sport coming to. look how much money cain velasquez brought in? he barely cleared 70 thou after bonuses. so did frank mir. all fighters are underpaid, especially when they lose a fight. they gotta pay their trainers, their family, taxes etc. and whats left over for them??

for what hendo did to bisping give the guy a ****ing raise. just another letdown on dana's behalf. i have a hard time believing that a loyal guy like dan henderson was only asking for what he is worth, but definitely not too much. if dana wan't to be a dink, he's just going to make other companies like strikeforce look just that much better. i can't understand it

i think its bogus the rumors going around some people were substantiating a claim that he wanted $5 million a fight!!! that is ridiculous and nobody would ever demand for that much.

that is completely false. we don't know what dan wanted and what dana would try to reason him for. it was totally between them. obviously the journalists make up a $5 million/fight thing to fuel some fire.

give them something controversial to make him look like a joke. there is nothing and nobody in the world that could convince me dan would even consider asking for that much. what mma fighter pulls over 500 thou for a fight? 5 million?? get real!!

anyways bottom line' date=' instead of arguing with each other over how much he should be paid, the fact of the matter is that dan feels like he is underpaid, and dana doesn't want to come to terms.

what is this sport coming to. look how much money cain velasquez brought in? he barely cleared 70 thou after bonuses. so did frank mir. all fighters are underpaid, especially when they lose a fight. they gotta pay their trainers, their family, taxes etc. and whats left over for them??

for what hendo did to bisping give the guy a ****ing raise. just another letdown on dana's behalf. i have a hard time believing that a loyal guy like dan henderson was only asking for what he is worth, but definitely not too much. if dana wan't to be a dink, he's just going to make other companies like strikeforce look just that much better. i can't understand it[/quote']

Do you think the money the fighters earn from each ppv is what they get paid? That is, the money that is released the same time the sub of the night, ko of the night, and fight of the night is?

Do you think the money the fighters earn from each ppv is what they get paid? That is' date=' the money that is released the same time the sub of the night, ko of the night, and fight of the night is?[/quote']

read the reports. if it wasnt for the bonus cain velasquez got for destroying ben rothwell, he wouldve only walked out with 35,000. ridiculous

forrest griffin was lucky. he didnt get beat up so bad, yet he pulled out 60,000 for the loss and totalled an extra 60 for fight of the night and KO of the night. he was one of the best losers ever! compared to what other fighters make, and we aren't talking about bonuses

all fighters are underpaid. unless they have a huge fan draw. unless they can bring in a huge load of buyers, the average fighter makes almost nothing. it may look big but they have families to feed, injuries to deal with that could set them back a long time and potentially diminish their earnings, huge tax brackets to pay, training camps, managers, and the works. what's left over for the fighter? not much.

compare it to boxing or any other athletes salary. the pay of a loser is a joke. now i see why theyd rather get knocked out in style. at least if they get a bonus, they can still pay the bills. I can't see why dan henderson doesn't deserve to be right up there with guys like GSP.

read the reports. if it wasnt for the bonus cain velasquez got for destroying ben rothwell' date=' he wouldve only walked out with 35,000. ridiculous

forrest griffin was lucky. he didnt get beat up so bad, yet he pulled out 60,000 for the loss and totalled an extra 60 for fight of the night and KO of the night. he was one of the best losers ever! compared to what other fighters make, and we aren't talking about bonuses

all fighters are underpaid. unless they have a huge fan draw. unless they can bring in a huge load of buyers, the average fighter makes almost nothing. it may look big but they have families to feed, injuries to deal with that could set them back a long time and potentially diminish their earnings, huge tax brackets to pay, training camps, managers, and the works. what's left over for the fighter? not much.

compare it to boxing or any other athletes salary. the pay of a loser is a joke. now i see why theyd rather get knocked out in style. at least if they get a bonus, they can still pay the bills.[/quote']

Do you believe everything you read in the media as the whole truth? Let me enlighten you a bit:

The prestige to fight in the UFC, a multi-billion dollar organization (ZUFFA), is the goal. For fighters to do this and earn contracts, they have to fight on undercards to earn their spots within the organization. These fighters on the undercards, for the most part, are signed to 1 fight contracts for say $50G for the fight. This is guaranteed money to them. Within this contract, incentives are laden stating percentages of possible bonuses (which is what is made public by the media, and are the figures you are referring to). The more stripes you earn, the longer your contract could be and the better position you are in to argue what you want for each fight. This is money that we don't know about (the particulars anyway), and DOES NOT include what we see. Chuck mentioned in an interview that in 2005 he was earning over a million a fight.

All the champions are on contract, obviously, and are making over a million per fight. The money you are referring to is extra. If the UFC did not do this, they would lose a lot of fighters to other organizations. They don't cause they got the biggest bank role. The fighters they don't have, they either don't want, or the fighter (for some reason) does not want to fight in the UFC. The big up and commers are on contract. Vitor is probably on a 3 fight contract, hoping that when those 3 fights are up he is in a better position to sign another contract for more money. This is where Hendo is at.

Further to this, suppose someone like GSP gets $2M a fight (as is argued in a 6 fight deal). That means he could earn, in fighting alone, $4-8M a year depending if he fights 2 or 3 times a year plus fight day bonuses. Then he has all his sponsers (check his trunks). These guys also have commercial spots, print media ads, radio interviews, talk show interviews, etc. All these places HAVE to pay the fighters for their time/likeness. Plus, they also would pay for flights/meals/lodging associated to whatever 'event' they are attending. That is A LOT of money. Are they underpaid, some are but not the ones that earn it.

Lets put this in context. In the UK, Premiership footballers get paid silly money. A wage slip for Liverpool's John Arne Riise (not the highest paid Liverpool player by a long shot) was found and printed in the paper. His TAX bill for a MONTH was nearly double what Velasquez made for his fight. Players earning ?100,000 (around $155,000) a WEEK are not uncommon. For this they train 2 hours a day 4 times a week if you are lucky, during the season. The rest of the time they act like idiot proma donnas who think the world owes them a living and they are above the law. Today Marlon King was sent to prison for 18 months for punching a girl in the face after he groped her. The British public are rightly getting annoyed with them, but nothing is done, it has gone too far and seemingly cannot be stopped. Compared to this what MMA stars get paid is a joke. They train like their lives depend on it (and one day it might) and have to rely on constantly winning with no injuries just to make a living. Sure, some do very well, but as a whole they are way underpaid, no question.

Do you believe everything you read in the media as the whole truth? Let me enlighten you a bit:

The prestige to fight in the UFC' date=' a multi-billion dollar organization (ZUFFA), is the goal. For fighters to do this and earn contracts, they have to fight on undercards to earn their spots within the organization. These fighters on the undercards, for the most part, are signed to 1 fight contracts for say $50G for the fight. This is guaranteed money to them. Within this contract, incentives are laden stating percentages of possible bonuses (which is what is made public by the media, and are the figures you are referring to). The more stripes you earn, the longer your contract could be and the better position you are in to argue what you want for each fight. This is money that we don't know about (the particulars anyway), and DOES NOT include what we see. Chuck mentioned in an interview that in 2005 he was earning over a million a fight.

All the champions are on contract, obviously, and are making over a million per fight. The money you are referring to is extra. If the UFC did not do this, they would lose a lot of fighters to other organizations. They don't cause they got the biggest bank role. The fighters they don't have, they either don't want, or the fighter (for some reason) does not want to fight in the UFC. The big up and commers are on contract. Vitor is probably on a 3 fight contract, hoping that when those 3 fights are up he is in a better position to sign another contract for more money. This is where Hendo is at.

Further to this, suppose someone like GSP gets $2M a fight (as is argued in a 6 fight deal). That means he could earn, in fighting alone, $4-8M a year depending if he fights 2 or 3 times a year plus fight day bonuses. Then he has all his sponsers (check his trunks). These guys also have commercial spots, print media ads, radio interviews, talk show interviews, etc. All these places HAVE to pay the fighters for their time/likeness. Plus, they also would pay for flights/meals/lodging associated to whatever 'event' they are attending. That is A LOT of money. Are they underpaid, some are but not the ones that earn it.[/quote']

i still have a hard time believing that any fighter can gross over half a million per fight. maybe fedor. after taxes/trainers/managing etc. it will still not be a whole lot....the sad fact is the loser hardly gets anything. you lose a couple in a row and you might even lose your job. leites sure didn't deserve to go. him and patrick cote put up the smartest fight against anderson silva i have ever seen. obviously it didnt impress dana and when his last fight went to the judges that was it.

alot of people get ****ed around in the UFC. Hendo is one of them. i'll watch him fight in strikeforce.

in other news i really think it was ironic when Ed Soares said that there was no point in the shogun-machida fight and blah blah blah and look how that fight turned out. and the silva - belfort fight is still not confirmed. if the brock match is postponed until 108 this fight may not even happen until at least february. don't count on shogun-machida 2 until at least then, as much as people want to see it happen quick, it wont.

this ed soares guy is starting to aggravate me. sure he's got the best three in the world, but to say people arent deserving of a shot, and then to see some guy demolish one of his fighters the way they did only to get screwed by the judges? this only makes me wonder what vitor would do to silva, if they ever man up to signing that fight.

Lets put this in context. In the UK' date=' Premiership footballers get paid silly money. A wage slip for Liverpool's John Arne Riise (not the highest paid Liverpool player by a long shot) was found and printed in the paper. His TAX bill for a MONTH was nearly double what Velasquez made for his fight. Players earning ?100,000 (around $155,000) a WEEK are not uncommon. For this they train 2 hours a day 4 times a week if you are lucky, during the season. The rest of the time they act like idiot proma donnas who think the world owes them a living and they are above the law. Today Marlon King was sent to prison for 18 months for punching a girl in the face after he groped her. The British public are rightly getting annoyed with them, but nothing is done, it has gone too far and seemingly cannot be stopped. Compared to this what MMA stars get paid is a joke. They train like their lives depend on it (and one day it might) and have to rely on constantly winning with no injuries just to make a living. Sure, some do very well, but as a whole they are way underpaid, no question.[/quote']

+1 this; it's started filtering through to other sports in UK, sadly, rugby being the most notable. Hideous shady voodoo economics. I thought the crunch might have had some effect, but no sign yet. To this end, I think the money in MMA could be higher in view of the risks being taken, but the net effect is positive; the sport retains a connection between stars and audience to a great extent. I think some of the sponsorship deals out there must be lucrative enough to bolster up the top performers' earnings, too. As regards Hendo, another poster was bang on when he highlighted his attitude in the negotiations. He has a marketable product - why not try to raise it's earning power, within reason? Compare and contrast with Rampage's blogs recently...

Like most sportsman he probably gets paid way too much anyway! Greed gets the better of most.

We're not paying to watch Dana White, we're paying to watch Dan Henderson. As far as I'm concerned, he should be getting $40 of my $50 PPV purchase, if he's headlining. The popularity determines the salary - unfortunately, you get these "middlemen" like Dana White and the UFC, Scott Coker and Strikeforce, etc. The promotion is the "middleman", who somehow sets the pay scale, when in fact, we aren't paying for the promoter. Anybody can promote a stellar fight between behemoths. It's a guaranteed sell. History has shown it's a guaranteed sell. And yet, the fighters for whom we watch, are getting low-balled beyond belief here. It's a sham, and Hendo deserves every dime he's asking for.

We're not paying to watch Dana White' date=' we're paying to watch Dan Henderson. As far as I'm concerned, he should be getting $40 of my $50 PPV purchase, if he's headlining. The popularity determines the salary - unfortunately, you get these "middlemen" like Dana White and the UFC, Scott Coker and Strikeforce, etc. The promotion is the "middleman", who somehow sets the pay scale, when in fact, we aren't paying for the promoter. Anybody can promote a stellar fight between behemoths. It's a guaranteed sell. History has shown it's a guaranteed sell. And yet, the fighters for whom we watch, are getting low-balled beyond belief here. It's a sham, and Hendo deserves every dime he's asking for.[/quote']

+1

Where Henderson goes... I will follow.

Do you believe everything you read in the media as the whole truth? .

i stopped reading right there obviously i don't buy any of that **** otherwise i would probably think hendo was asking for too much...right?? like the 5 million a fight the media tried to make it look like what he was asking for.

who knows what he was asking for? i dont know. you don't know. i don't feel like speculating over nothing but obviously henderson doesn't feel like he is getting paid enough and i am not taking that out of context

i am not taking that from the media. I am taking that from DAN HENDERSON himself

i stopped reading right there obviously i don't buy any of that **** otherwise i would probably think hendo was asking for too much...right?? like the 5 million a fight the media tried to make it look like what he was asking for.

who knows what he was asking for? i dont know. you don't know. i don't feel like speculating over nothing but obviously henderson doesn't feel like he is getting paid enough and i am not taking that out of context

i am not taking that from the media. I am taking that from DAN HENDERSON himself

Obviously by not reading on in the post you quoted further shows your ingnorance. You are right, I don't know what he is asking, as either do you (admittingly), but please don't be so ignorant to believe the media when it comes to earnings after each fight. That is DEFINETLY NOOOOOOT all they make from the UFC. To think so is absurd. These fighters are getting paid well, believe me. If they weren't, they definetly wouldn't be able to pay all their people - including agents. What do you think agents do?

The ignorance on this topic blows my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Like most MMA fighters he gets paid way too little. Or if he isn't paid too little at this point (I believe his base pay vs Bisping was $240k which is peanuts beside top boxers) he certainly was in the past. He's nearing the end of his career and needs and deserves a nice nest egg for all he's done in and for the sport.

The prestige to fight in the UFC' date=' a multi-billion dollar organization (ZUFFA), is the goal. For fighters to do this and earn contracts, they have to fight on undercards to earn their spots within the organization. These fighters on the undercards, for the most part, are signed to 1 fight contracts for say $50G for the fight. This is guaranteed money to them. Within this contract, incentives are laden stating percentages of possible bonuses (which is what is made public by the media, and are the figures you are referring to). The more stripes you earn, the longer your contract could be and the better position you are in to argue what you want for each fight. This is money that we don't know about (the particulars anyway), and DOES NOT include what we see. Chuck mentioned in an interview that in 2005 he was earning over a million a fight.

Further to this, suppose someone like GSP gets $2M a fight (as is argued in a 6 fight deal). That means he could earn, in fighting alone, $4-8M a year depending if he fights 2 or 3 times a year plus fight day bonuses. Then he has all his sponsers (check his trunks). These guys also have commercial spots, print media ads, radio interviews, talk show interviews, etc. All these places HAVE to pay the fighters for their time/likeness. Plus, they also would pay for flights/meals/lodging associated to whatever 'event' they are attending. That is A LOT of money. Are they underpaid, some are but not the ones that earn it.[/quote']

$50k isn't even in the ballpark for the most part for under card fighters. The base salaries of the fighters is public domain in most states and available through the sanctioning athletic commission. It is not just bonuses that are public domain.Take a look before you decide to make up statistics and you will see numerous fighters in the UFC making as low as $6k base salary. Check out the interview with pat Barry after his last fight where he claims he was eating white rice and ketchup leading up to the Hardonk fight because he was flat broke. As for all champions making over 1 million a fight that is wrong as well. I haven't seen all the salaries for all the champions recently but I did see Brock Lesnar's and I believe it was like $420k. GSP was making the same at UFC 100 and I doubt anyone is making much more than they are. Sorry but your post is basically made up numbers and guesses. Too bad you didn't guess right on any of them.

$50k isn't even in the ballpark for the most part for under card fighters. The base salaries of the fighters is public domain in most states and available through the sanctioning athletic commission. It is not just bonuses that are public domain.Take a look before you decide to make up statistics and you will see numerous fighters in the UFC making as low as $6k base salary. Check out the interview with pat Barry after his last fight where he claims he was eating white rice and ketchup leading up to the Hardonk fight because he was flat broke. As for all champions making over 1 million a fight that is wrong as well. I haven't seen all the salaries for all the champions recently but I did see Brock Lesnar's and I believe it was like $420k. GSP was making the same at UFC 100 and I doubt anyone is making much more than they are. Sorry but your post is basically made up numbers and guesses. Too bad you didn't guess right on any of them.

Again, just too naive to believe reality. I will not bother trying to convince you...

Again' date=' just too naive to believe reality. I will not bother trying to convince you...[/quote']

haha, pretty sad retort. These numbers are released by the state athletic commissions not made up by the media. I at least have some reliable sources for my post. You have nothing but conjecture.

Here's an example for you. The internet is a wonderful source of information. You should use it for that instead of for disseminating misinformation and trying to claim it as fact.

http://mmafrenzy.com/7596/lesnar-450000-couture-250000-top-ufc-91-payroll/

haha' date=' pretty sad retort. These numbers are released by the state athletic commissions not made up by the media. I at least have some reliable sources for my post. You have nothing but conjecture.

Here's an example for you. The internet is a wonderful source of information. You should use it for that instead of for disseminating misinformation and trying to claim it as fact.

http://mmafrenzy.com/7596/lesnar-450000-couture-250000-top-ufc-91-payroll/[/quote']

Yeah right, the internet is filled with credible information (insert sarcasm here), so is the media (sarcasm). That wasn't a retort, as I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you either. The Athletic Commission numbers are NOT including the contractual numbers the UFC has with each fighter under contract, FYI. The numbers for each PPV are the numbers made public, but again does not include what is in the UFC contracts. To believe other wise is absurd. Does the UFC have to release contractual earnings to the public? No, that's against people rights and freedoms. Does your company have to make salaries known to the public? What about Microsoft, or Apple, or pharmaceutical companies? NNNOOOO!!! Open your eyes.

BTW, those numbers in the link are based off the that single ppv. Thats it. The way it works is...

If the UFC wants you under contract, they pay you to sign a contract ($/fight) so they have your rights and you can't fight anywhere else (unless they say so). Then they will give you so much for fighting on a PPV or fight night. PPV are worth more because the UFC makes more money off of them. Then you get more if you win, or get fotn, or sotn, or kootn.

It's called business.

Yeah right' date=' the internet is filled with credible information (insert sarcasm here), so is the media (sarcasm). That wasn't a retort, as I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you either. The Athletic Commission numbers are NOT including the contractual numbers the UFC has with each fighter under contract, FYI. The numbers for each PPV are the numbers made public, but again does not include what is in the UFC contracts. To believe other wise is absurd. Does the UFC have to release contractual earnings to the public? No, that's against people rights and freedoms. Does your company have to make salaries known to the public? What about Microsoft, or Apple, or pharmaceutical companies? NNNOOOO!!! Open your eyes.

BTW, those numbers in the link are based off the that single ppv. Thats it. The way it works is...

If the UFC wants you under contract, they pay you to sign a contract ($/fight) so they have your rights and you can't fight anywhere else (unless they say so). Then they will give you so much for fighting on a PPV or fight night. PPV are worth more because the UFC makes more money off of them. Then you get more if you win, or get fotn, or sotn, or kootn.

It's called business.[/quote']

Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about. First, it's a FACT that most state athletic commissions are obligated to release fighters' earnings. It's the same in boxing. My company doesn't release mine because there is nothing that says they have to. What a terrible example. Yes as you say "those numbers in the link are based off the that single ppv" but you were claiming all champions make 1 million a fight and assorted other per fight BS. Here's a quote from the article. "The Nevada State Athletic Commission today released the fighter SALARIES, which do not include bonuses and also exclude taxes, fees, sponsor payments, and other miscellaneous payments and fees.". What we are talking about is fighters' salaries here. I seriously doubt any fighter signs a contract thinking they are going to make a living by getting KOOtN etc. Those bonuses are gravy. And if you don't think there's any credible info on the internet you probably think the US government is withholding a cure for cancer too so they can give it to the aliens in New Mexico. It's just weird that I quote reliable sources while you quote...ummm....nothing and think somehow you have the answers.

Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about. First' date=' it's a FACT that most state athletic commissions are obligated to release fighters' earnings. [...'] Here's a quote from the article. "The Nevada State Athletic Commission today released the fighter SALARIES, which do not include bonuses and also exclude taxes, fees, sponsor payments, and other miscellaneous payments and fees.".

What the guy you are talking to is trying to tell you is: those salaries make up only part of a fighters income. The big names in the sport have additional agreements with the UFC that guarantee them a percentage of the PPV money. That is the reason why people like BJ Penn refuse to fight on UK cards - because they would miss out on that payday even if it was a PPV (overseas cards on PPV sell bad). Because of these PPV percentages fighters like St. Pierre are making close to a million per fight. This has been confirmed by many media outlets on many occasions. Also, whenever the fighter renews his contract with the UFC (like Hendo is trying to do)m they may reveive a signing bonus (money simply for saying: Ya, my next couple of fights will happen within the UFC). All the sponsorships are the actual gravy. From all this money only the "For show", "Win bonus" and "KO / Sub / FOTN" Bonuses are released by the athletic comissions. Everything else is undisclosed.

Ocourse, this is only true for the big whoppers. A fighter on the undercard can get as little as 2.000 Dollars if he loses.

What the guy you are talking to is trying to tell you is: those salaries make up only part of a fighters income. The big names in the sport have additional agreements with the UFC that guarantee them a percentage of the PPV money. That is the reason why people like BJ Penn refuse to fight on UK cards - because they would miss out on that payday even if it was a PPV (overseas cards on PPV sell bad). Because of these PPV percentages fighters like St. Pierre are making close to a million per fight. This has been confirmed by many media outlets on many occasions. Also' date=' whenever the fighter renews his contract with the UFC (like Hendo is trying to do)m they may reveive a signing bonus (money simply for saying: Ya, my next couple of fights will happen within the UFC). All the sponsorships are the actual gravy. From all this money only the "For show", "Win bonus" and "KO / Sub / FOTN" Bonuses are released by the athletic comissions. Everything else is undisclosed.

Ocourse, this is only true for the big whoppers. A fighter on the undercard can get as little as 2.000 Dollars if he loses.[/quote']

Thank you...finally someone who actually READS what is written, and not assume they know what I am talking about based on their misperceptions. Thank you again...

Archived