Shogun gives an in-depth interview on the Machida fight

TheBrazilianNinja

Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua had a title fight that created one of the biggest polemic results ever in the history of mixed martial arts. ?Shogun? has been called the winner of that contest by both professionals and fans of the sport while Nelson Hamilton, Cecil Peoples and Marcos Rosales - judges of the fight - gave ?The Dragon? the unanimous victory.

Wanderlei Silva lamented the outcome saying it was ?a wrong decison? and Randy Couture stated that Rua ?won four rounds?; just two fighters who shared their thoughts about the clash. Vitor Belfort - who has already trained with Machida - added ?the result was unfair? while Quinton Jackson - former victim of Rua - said the UDL prospect had been robbed by UFC.

Shogun has arrived in Brazil and was interviewed by Gazeta do Povo, a respected newspaper from Curitiba, his native state in Brazil. The light heavyweight contender started the conversation talking about the end of the fight.

Check it out the whole interview. Shogun was never so frank, guys. I'm impressed and looking forward this rematch.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3328

Yeh you got to feel for the guy, no matter whether you thought he won or lost. Alot more people thought he won compared to people who thought he didnt. And every pro MMA analayst gave the fight to him aswell, no matter how close it was. So that has to have an affect on him, himself and everyone else is convinced he won, and to now have another loss on his record, when it arguably shouldnt be there, understandably makes him angry.

Oh, and i didnt realise Couture was asked about the fight aswell.. and said Rua won aswell, that just solidifies everything haha. You can not argue Couture is not knowledgable about MMA!!!! He knows more about the sport than probebly anyone on here, and also is a great fight analyst.

Haven;t been able to read the interview yet.

Has he mentioned anything about wanting rematches with Griffin or Sobral, or is he just focused on this loss?

You wouldn't think a true champion could live with the fact that he got choked out by Forest Griffin!

Maybe his habit of accepting losses hurts him in the judges eyes.

machida states, " the only reason why i lost going into the fight i had 2 fracture femurs, all my left ribs are bruised, a torned legament on my arm, a knife wound in the groin, a broken hip, and i was going half speed, in a couple week time i would be healed"

shogun-" pisses himself"

this is just a joke, i really thought netiher of them won that night, but neither of them loss either. my friend was just joking about "what if" machida was injured jokes.

hopefully someone gets knock out in the rematch.

Has he mentioned anything about wanting rematches with Griffin or Sobral' date=' or is he just focused on this loss?

You wouldn't think a true champion could live with the fact that he got choked out by Forest Griffin!

Maybe his habit of accepting losses hurts him in the judges eyes.[/quote']

Hmm and your forgetting he not only suffered massively in that fight as he was coming off an injury, and hadnt had much time to prepare, AND he fought injured.. he reinjured himself in the fight. The fact that he continued to fight should be enough to respect him!!! He couldnt really do anything about that fight, and he and everybody knows that he would destroy Griffin if he is in shape. Unless he loses against Machida in the rematch AND loses his next fight, he shouldnt have to fight Griffin again unless he does really want to avenge that loss. He and almost everybody else knows, that he actuallly beat Machida. So thats the only rematch he should be concerned about. Also... the Sobral fight was VERY early in his professional career, when his BJJ wasnt at a high level. And Sobral has been a black belt in BJJ for YEARS lol. Anyway, he is back on form now anyway, he proved that. He should only fight with the top contenders. Infact he should only be fighting against who ever deserves the title shot, as in the rematch, he will win... again :D:D:D. And then is going to have to defend the belt... which he will do.

You know at first glance I would have given the fight to Shogun, but after reading two of the judges explanations, I understand why it went to Machida, and feel less like Shogun was robbed.

To sum it up:

Shogun spent five rounds body and leg kicking Machida, with some failed takedown attempts in the first two rounds I believe. The judges score successful takedown defenses, not failed attempts.

Almost every one of Shoguns kicks were answered with a punch to the face. A punch to the face scores higher than a body or leg kick.

Machida put together signifcantly more combinations, and made, according to the judges, more serious attempts to finish the fight.

I forget the reason they used for crediting Machida with octagon control.

While you and I would say that the kicks were MORE effective than the counter punches as far as wearing the opponent down, it is, unless someone finishes, A POINTS FIGHT.

In my opinion, Shogun had half the strategy right on. He was, however, undermined by his corner that kept telling him he was winning on points, so he didn't try to finish. It is understandable that he didn't want to try and commit himself and become vulnerable to one of the deadliest counter strikers in MMA, but as the old adage says; "No reward without risk."

Shogun wasn't willing to risk it. And therefore he wasn't rewarded.

Had his strategy been to cripple Machida in the first three rounds with body and leg kicks, and cede them to the champ so he could then be in a position to finish the fight in the fourth or fifth round, and actually pull the trigger, the outcome could well have been very different.

I'm looking forward to the rematch even more than their first fight.

You know at first glance I would have given the fight to Shogun' date=' but after reading two of the judges explanations, I understand why it went to Machida, and feel less like Shogun was robbed.

To sum it up:

Shogun spent five rounds body and leg kicking Machida, with some failed takedown attempts in the first two rounds I believe. The judges score successful takedown defenses, not failed attempts.

Almost every one of Shoguns kicks were answered with a punch to the face. A punch to the face scores higher than a body or leg kick.

Machida put together signifcantly more combinations, and made, according to the judges, more serious attempts to finish the fight.

While you and I would say that the kicks were MORE effective than the counter punches as far as wearing the opponent down, it is, unless someone finishes, [b']A POINTS FIGHT[/b].

In my opinion, Shogun had half the strategy right on. He was, however, undermined by his corner that kept telling him he was winning on points, so he didn't try to finish. It is understandable that he didn't want to try and commit himself and become vulnerable to one of the deadliest counter strikers in MMA, but as the old adage says; "No reward without risk."

Had his strategy been to cripple Machida in the first three rounds with body and leg kicks, and cede them to the champ so he could then be in a position to finish the fight in the fourth or fifth round, and actually pull the trigger, the outcome could well have been very different.

So nice to read a post about someone who gets it, well said, I agree with much of your post, and that is the way it went down, Shogun peeps who say anything other then it was a close fight need to chill out and deal with it till rematch.

So nice to read a post about someone who gets it' date=' well said, I agree with much of your post, and that is the way it went down, Shogun peeps who say anything other then it was a close fight need to chill out and deal with it till rematch.[/quote']

He gets it but that still doesn't mean that the skewed form of judging shouldn't be fixed...and this is the fight that should garner the most amount of arguments for that change! Anybody who says Machida was the better off of the 2 at the end is way off...

Has he mentioned anything about wanting rematches with Griffin or Sobral' date=' or is he just focused on this loss?

Maybe his habit of accepting losses hurts him in the judges eyes.[/quote']

Why would he?

Babalu won by submitting him. He got caught by someone with great Bjj, and Forrest did win the match. But that fight can easily happen again should Forrest beat Tito.

You know at first glance I would have given the fight to Shogun' date=' but after reading two of the judges explanations, I understand why it went to Machida, and feel less like Shogun was robbed.

To sum it up:

While you and I would say that the kicks were MORE effective than the counter punches as far as wearing the opponent down, it is, unless someone finishes, [b']A POINTS FIGHT[/b].

Most Machida's shots to Shoguns face were blocked by his arms. Only a few got in. And you acting as if Shogun didnt connect to Machida's face.....Which he did, and while the takedowns were stuffed Shogun landed Short elbows to Machidas face........

Much of the debate seems to hinge on wheterh Machida's head strikes actually connected. If you think they did, you favor Machida. If you think they didn't, you favor Shogun.

Shogun's expression while being hit by those combo's tells me they were landing.

That being said, I think Shogun will have a good idea when to quit being tentative and unload in the rematch.

Much of the debate seems to hinge on wheterh Machida's head strikes actually connected. If you think they did' date=' you favor Machida. If you think they didn't, you favor Shogun.

Shogun's expression while being hit by those combo's tells me they were landing.

That being said, I think Shogun will have a good idea when to quit being tentative and unload in the rematch.[/quote']

The way Machida was switching stances and running from action in the 4th and 5th round show that Rua was far more successful with his strategy then Machida's 8 of 49 counter headshots. Punching a block has never counted for points in any combat sport and I don't see how it possibly could in this fight either.

The way Machida was switching stances and running from action in the 4th and 5th round show that Rua was far more successful with his strategy then Machida's 8 of 49 counter headshots. Punching a block has never counted for points in any combat sport and I don't see how it possibly could in this fight either.

You must not understand fighting technique then, particuliarly karate. Machida backs out and angles away from charges, a smart move and a reason why he is hard to knockout, and hasn't been yet, and alot of the time when being chased is when he can move in with a counter strike when he sees the oportunity. Getting out of the way is not running from action, its just good techique. He always has his opponent in view, thats not running away and is classic Machida. You may personally choose to not get out of the way and look for a better position when someone charges you, but I am willing to bet you will pay for it with several hits, Were as Machida has absorbed the least blows in UFC, pretty smart if you ask me.

I think in the 4th and 5th, Rua's strategy was working good for him, and that Machida was hurt because of it, really nullifying alot of his offence and probally why he kept switching lead legs, but he still kept fighting. In my opinion he won the earlier rounds, so unfortunetally Rua's gameplan to play it safe and win with points also backfired on him. I think had there been another round, Machida could not have continued due to his leg issues, and now we know of his hand, so Rua probally would of won by possible knockout, or at least sealed a point victory.

While Rua was good with putting up his hands, I gaurentee even those he was able to put up his hands on, he ate gloves, even if it was his own, saw many punches break through his guard, so I would not call those blocked by any means. Parried and eating your own gloves are 2 different things.

God you're so annoying!!! Every single thing you write is something negative about Shogun. You're probably one of those dumb fans that think that mma is called ultimate fighting. You probably started watching UFC after 100. Everytime I go into a thread that has to do with 104 I'm already expecting to see you and your dumb comments. For real get off it! you're still part of the small minority that thinks Machida won. Stats prove who landed more , so you could keep lying to yourself all you want, we all know that Machida is nothing more then a paper champ.

To sum it up:

well your theory is flawed because shogun outstruck machida in every round convincingly, the closest round was round 3 where shogun out struck machida 19-15.

and shogun landed the harder counter shots, you want proof ask machidas left ribs left leg top lip and right cheek bone

You must not understand fighting technique then' date=' particuliarly karate. Machida backs out and angles away from charges, a smart move and a reason why he is hard to knockout, and hasn't been yet, and alot of the time when being chased is when he can move in with a counter strike when he sees the oportunity. Getting out of the way is not running from action, its just good techique. He always has his opponent in view, thats not running away and is classic Machida. You may personally choose to not get out of the way and look for a better position when someone charges you, but I am willing to bet you will pay for it with several hits, Were as Machida has absorbed the least blows in UFC, pretty smart if you ask me.

I think in the 4th and 5th, Rua's strategy was working good for him, and that Machida was hurt because of it, really nullifying alot of his offence and probally why he kept switching lead legs, but he still kept fighting. In my opinion he won the earlier rounds, so unfortunetally Rua's gameplan to play it safe and win with points also backfired on him. I think had there been another round, Machida could not have continued due to his leg issues, and now we know of his hand, so Rua probally would of won by possible knockout, or at least sealed a point victory.

While Rua was good with putting up his hands, I gaurentee even those he was able to put up his hands on, he ate gloves, even if it was his own, saw many punches break through his guard, so I would not call those blocked by any means. Parried and eating your own gloves are 2 different things.[/quote']

machida landed a total of 9 strikes in the last 2 rounds combined, he was barely fighting and his body language tells you he knows he was a beaten man in that 5th round.

hall of fame fighters agree that shogun was robbed, regular UFC fighters agree that he was robbed, these are people who have been in the sport since they were probably 8 years old, they know what they are talking about.

the only MMA fighters that ive seen say machida won were people from his own camp, the total unbiased MMA fighters/analysts all give shogun the win, that many people cant be wrong.

Machida's 8 of 49 counter headshots. Punching a block has never counted for points in any combat sport and I don't see how it possibly could in this fight either.

You keep saying that. Saying it again and again is not going to make me believe it. I don't think thats what happened. I am positive he hit him more than 8 times and not in the block. F fightmetrc

machida landed a total of 9 strikes in the last 2 rounds combined' date=' he was barely fighting and his body language tells you he knows he was a beaten man in that 5th round.

hall of fame fighters agree that shogun was robbed, regular UFC fighters agree that he was robbed, these are people who have been in the sport since they were probably 8 years old, they know what they are talking about.

the only MMA fighters that ive seen say machida won were people from his own camp, the total unbiased MMA fighters/analysts all give shogun the win, that many people cant be wrong.[/quote']

Don't care what so and so says, or if I believe the fightmetric stats are perfect, or here to debate the win, to much of that already, just wanted to point out that Machida was not "running" from action, but rather manuvering and angling out, as any good fighter would do, its not running and its how he always have fought, angle out, I was responding to the poster who said he was running. And also wanted to point out that just because someone puts up thier hands in front of thier face, a forceful fist coming thier way will either make their hands smack thier own face hard, or go through, its not a block entirely. A block is when they either parried away the strike, or if indeed it hit elbows.

Archived