Will Strikeforce on CBS force the UFC to consider having more free cards?

mdm514

I sure hope so. Been ordering PPV's for years,and feel like with the explosion of the sport, it is time to start rewarding the true fans. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the Fedor fight will not sway the UFC even a little. Dana and company are some greedy mothers.

I sure hope so. Been ordering PPV's for years' date='and feel like with the explosion of the sport, it is time to start rewarding the true fans. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the Fedor fight will not sway the UFC even a little. Dana and company are some greedy mothers.[/quote']

Hmm you can call them greedy, or you can call them smart. Because lets face it, they sell ALOT of PPV's. Im starting to think that Dana has secured a network deal though, he keeps hinting at it. And says he has something big to announce, but it hasnt quite been sorted yet, so he is waiting for the right time to announce it, because it will change MMA for ever or something lol. Im guessing network deal. However, they will DEFINETLY carry on doing PPV's. They will probs have like 4 free shows a year or something. But TBH, im happy paying for the events, they are all worth it.

Strikeforce wont be able to affect the way the UFC is run at all though. It doesnt have enough events showing each year for a start. UFC is on its way for 15 this year? Something like that anyway. Maybe more. But around that figure. Which is phenomonal for a MMA promotion. They really are leading the way.. by miles and miles. And i dont see any other organisations reaching anywhere near the size of the UFC, at least not in the near future.

PPV's make the UFC millions, they would be silly to get rid of them. A few complimentary free shows would be great though. But we wouldnt be seeing any HUGE fights on them.. thats pretty much guarenteed. All the big fights will be strictly PPV.

But a few free shows on network TV will do loads to grow the sport. Let more people who initially dont know much about the sport, get to know abit more about it. Then they can decide whether they want to pay for the bigger, more exciting events.

Hmm you can call them greedy' date=' or you can call them smart. Because lets face it, they sell ALOT of PPV's. Im starting to think that Dana has secured a network deal though, he keeps hinting at it. And says he has something big to announce, but it hasnt quite been sorted yet, so he is waiting for the right time to announce it, because it will change MMA for ever or something lol. Im guessing network deal. However, they will DEFINETLY carry on doing PPV's. They will probs have like 4 free shows a year or something. But TBH, im happy paying for the events, they are all worth it.

Strikeforce wont be able to affect the way the UFC is run at all though. It doesnt have enough events showing each year for a start. UFC is on its way for 15 this year? Something like that anyway. Maybe more. But around that figure. Which is phenomonal for a MMA promotion. They really are leading the way.. by miles and miles. And i dont see any other organisations reaching anywhere near the size of the UFC, at least not in the near future.

PPV's make the UFC millions, they would be silly to get rid of them. A few complimentary free shows would be great though. But we wouldnt be seeing any HUGE fights on them.. thats pretty much guarenteed. All the big fights will be strictly PPV.

But a few free shows on network TV will do loads to grow the sport. Let more people who initially dont know much about the sport, get to know abit more about it. Then they can decide whether they want to pay for the bigger, more exciting events.[/quote']

Very well thought out and put-together response. Refreshing to think that not all posters resort to name calling and bad mouthing. I agree with alot of what you say, except for the part about it being silly to do away with PPV's. I am not saying to not have any PPV events, but five or six a year should be plenty. If you look up what the UFC pays its fighters on a typical card, and how much revenue they generate, they would be just fine with a handful a year.

MMA is about having performers you want to watch, UFC is the starbucks of MMA, you want a good cup of coffee, your going to have to pay for it, or settle for a cheap but ok brand, UFC is also the monopoly of MMA right now, they will "sell" the best MMA has to offer, not give it free...

Hmm you can call them greedy' date=' or you can call them smart. Because lets face it, they sell ALOT of PPV's. Im starting to think that Dana has secured a network deal though, he keeps hinting at it. And says he has something big to announce, but it hasnt quite been sorted yet, so he is waiting for the right time to announce it, because it will change MMA for ever or something lol. Im guessing network deal. However, they will DEFINETLY carry on doing PPV's. They will probs have like 4 free shows a year or something. But TBH, im happy paying for the events, they are all worth it.

But a few free shows on network TV will do loads to grow the sport. Let more people who initially dont know much about the sport, get to know abit more about it. Then they can decide whether they want to pay for the bigger, more exciting events.[/quote']

I have no problems with the UFC making money. Hey how can they survive without it right? But then they shouldn't claim to want what is best for the sport.

They aren't and haven't been looking out for anyone else but themselves and everyone should know it and see it. They always try to make themselves look like the good innocent guys who want to help others to get what they want.

I'm glad Fedor hasn't entered the UFC after whats been happening recently. If he did then bottam line is that UFC would be the absolute kings of MMA. It's like Fedor is the last piece of the jigsaw that the UFC need to be completely dominant. There is NO other fighter that will not enter the UFC given a chance and truth is the UFC wouldn't need anyone once they got Fedor.

They want to control the sport. They want 100% of the pie. I hope Fedor never gives it to them.

i hope that the strikeforce event either forces the UFC to have more free events' date=' or it just makes strikeforce really popular so that they have more free events. im not biased as to whether its UFC or not, a fight is a fight[/quote']

I have disagreed with you before, buy you are 100% correct with that statement. I'm all for whatever makes the fight game more accessible.

I sure hope so. Been ordering PPV's for years' date='and feel like with the explosion of the sport, it is time to start rewarding the true fans. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the Fedor fight will not sway the UFC even a little. Dana and company are some greedy mothers.[/quote']

no it wont.. cause Strikeforce is throwing all there best fighters on the same card.. which means theyll likely be fighting on the same card again next time but against different opponents.. what im trying to say is that theyll only have Stacked cards maybe 2-3 times a year.. UFC has great cards and some times stacked cards every month..

For example next card will be something like..

Fedor vs Werdum

Mousasi vs Hendo (if he joins them)

winner of Shields/Mayhem vs some1 like Jacare

no it wont.. cause Strikeforce is throwing all there best fighters on the same card.. which means theyll likely be fighting on the same card again next time but against different opponents.. what im trying to say is that theyll only have Stacked cards maybe 2-3 times a year.. UFC has great cards and some times stacked cards every month..

For example next card will be something like..

Fedor vs Werdum

Mousasi vs Hendo (if he joins them)

winner of Shields/Mayhem vs some1 like Jacare

+1 .. Mousasi vs Henderson w/ Gegard as the underdog just off the name-recognition factor .. it would make a great thread too, but it would get booted to the outside & nobody would see it ... shame

The Strikeforce event vs. The Main Event night on Spike.

I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place because unfortunately I missed the last couple PPV's up until 104' date=' and want to see those past main events.

Errrrr[/quote']

DVR The Main Event night.

I think UFC can make more money with 9 PPV a year. Making each card stacked thats worth buying. Im having a hard time buying into a card that doent have enough star power behind them. Sometimes its just 1 or 2 fights I wanna see, and paying $50 for a crap card does suck. Anyway I download them for free come sunday morning.

Anyway not to get off the subject though, but 9 cards are better with 1 or 2 free cards in between them will do nicely.

My Idea....Have a PPV every 6 weeks(making 9 per year) and have 1 or 2 UFN in between every 2 weeks if theres two cards, or 1 every 3 weeks showcasing young and new talent. Im sick of the TUF series already. Just have them fight on Spike for free and let the fabs decide who stays or goes, leaving the PPV cards worth watching.........

And if UFC wants to go Overseas dhow the cards for free. Im still wondering why cards in England are for free, yet Germany & Ireland are PPV's????

Archived