Rib Popping Sound/Injury

LW4MMA

Hey, first off I'm not complaining about this just curious.

I was grappling (without warming up) with a training partner that had me in a 1 arm in guillotine choke 1/2 guard, so I was lazy and lost 1/2 guard to full guard. Once in full guard, he squeezed his legs and I heard a pop in my right rib area, and some pain... it hasn't been that bad during the day but is pretty uncomfortable when lying down and moving side to side or taking deep breaths in bed, and has felt the same now for over a week. There isn't any external bruising or anything.

Any idea on what I did, and how long it takes to heal? I've never had this happen before from grappling.

Thanks.

Best thing to do would be to see a doctor, or go to WebMD. That site is pretty good at diagnosing, but you won't get a correct diagnosis unless you see a doctor. Could be a dislocated rib, but that is usually extremely painful and has noticable bruising/raise in rib area. Sometimes a dislocated rib will leave no deformity, but it could still be dislocated.

Hey' date=' first off I'm not complaining about this just curious.

I was grappling (without warming up) with a training partner that had me in a 1 arm in guillotine choke 1/2 guard, so I was lazy and lost 1/2 guard to full guard. Once in full guard, he squeezed his legs and I heard a pop in my right rib area, and some pain... it hasn't been that bad during the day but is pretty uncomfortable when lying down and moving side to side or taking deep breaths in bed, and has felt the same now for over a week. There isn't any external bruising or anything.

Any idea on what I did, and how long it takes to heal? I've never had this happen before from grappling.

Thanks.[/quote']

The same thing hapened to me, but really. You should gop see a doctor. I went, and when he checked me out I realized I had broken it.

Thanks.[/quote']

Sounds like a disclocation. I had 3 cracked ribs and you would be supprised how much you use them without realizing. From the pain that you're describing, they're not broken or cracked. When mine were cracked from a rodeo accident they took about 8 weeks to heal because evertime I took a breath they would open back up.

Is the pain on the rib or in between the ribs. Coulb be a torn/pulled muscle between the ribs.

This^^. I have been unfortunate enough to do this on a couple of occasions. If you were vertically "stretched" during the choke, this is the most likely culprit. I have even torn that muscle before and it seems that you're having similar symptoms.

As everyone else has already said though. The only way to really be sure, is to go to a doctor.

This^^. I have been unfortunate enough to do this on a couple of occasions. If you were vertically "stretched" during the choke' date=' this is the most likely culprit. I have even torn that muscle before and it seems that you're having similar symptoms.

As everyone else has already said though. The only way to really be sure, is to go to a doctor.[/quote']

Having broken a few myself I would have to agree, between having my left nutt swell to the size of my fist after it got cut out of the sack and then reinserted by a doctor and having 3 ribs broken I would take the nut sack injury any day of the week.

A chiropractor should be able to take X rays and examine you for less than 100 bucks if you dont have insurance I would recomend that before a more expensive trip to the doctors office.

Please see a doctor. If you roll again' date=' the possibility of further injuring it or you is much greater.[/quote']

Agreed. If it is broken you could puncture an organ.

Sounds like you porbably did break one More than likely towards the back of the rib cage closer to the spine which is why it hurts when you lay down and whatnot

GO TO A DOCTOR

Sounds like you porbably did break one More than likely towards the back of the rib cage closer to the spine which is why it hurts when you lay down and whatnot

GO TO A DOCTOR

true lol thats scary, you should deffinatly see a doctor.

Thanks.[/quote']

another test ,a odd one, to see if its injured is eat alot of food that so your really full and sit down and see if you had pain. popping could be bone, ligament or muscle x-ray will rule out broken bones but you would have to get a mri for ligamnet or muscle injuries. if you have good insurance do it if you dont the cost will be:

X-Ray= $100

MRI= $1700

Is the pain on the rib or in between the ribs. Coulb be a torn/pulled muscle between the ribs.

GO TO A DOCTOR

Thanks everyone for the replys!

If I push on the area, The pain is on the 2nd or 3rd rib down from my chest. It hurts (but not that bad) if I push on the front/ right side of my rib cage, it's hard to tell if its on the rib or in between. I don't have any pain farther on the side or back.

Main reason I'm asking on here is because you guys at least understand how it happened, and I've heard that nothing can be done for most rib injurys. I've been taking it easy (not rolling) since. Thanks again.

Anyone that has had broken ribs can you still do push ups or pull ups, or is that out the question/ very painfull?

Thanks.[/quote']

Go see a doctor. They should be able to tell you exactly what's wrong. By your summary, I'd say you've got a dislocated rib. I wouldn't think cracked or broken, given the "popping" sound you noted. If it was broken or cracked, you'd be in serious discomfort constantly. Breathing hurts. I've cracked two in my younger days, and it was extremely painful. If somebody broke your ribs by squeezing from guard, you might want to start chewing calcium pills like candy.

Thanks everyone for the replys!

If I push on the area' date=' The pain is on the 2nd or 3rd rib down from my chest. It hurts (but not that bad) if I push on the front/ right side of my rib cage, it's hard to tell if its on the rib or in between. I don't have any pain farther on the side or back.

Main reason I'm asking on here is because you guys at least understand how it happened, and I've heard that nothing can be done for most rib injurys. I've been taking it easy (not rolling) since. Thanks again.

Anyone that has had broken ribs can you still do push ups or pull ups, or is that out the question/ very painfull?[/quote']

I can't see how anyone could do pushups or pullups with a broken/broken ribs. I had two cracked, and could barely move for 3 days. Breathing is painful, laughing even worse.

And you're right, there is literally nothing they can do for damaged ribs - unless it is dislocated, they can attempt to reduce the dislocation. Broken or cracked, you're laying still till you no longer hurt. Injuring ribs sucks!

I can't see how anyone could do pushups or pullups with a broken/broken ribs. I had two cracked' date=' and could barely move for 3 days. Breathing is painful, laughing even worse.

And you're right, there is literally nothing they can do for damaged ribs - unless it is dislocated, they can attempt to reduce the dislocation. Broken or cracked, you're laying still till you no longer hurt. Injuring ribs sucks![/quote']

When I hurt mine I was out for like A month or so laying in bed doped up on percs and vicoden, even then I considered shooting myself everytime I had to sneeze or cough, worst part of it all was my sister got bronchidis about a week in so by a week and a half two weeks I was coughing non stop. One of the worst times of my life.

When I hurt mine I was out for like A month or so laying in bed doped up on percs and vicoden' date=' even then I considered shooting myself everytime I had to sneeze or cough, worst part of it all was my sister got bronchidis about a week in so by a week and a half two weeks I was coughing non stop. One of the worst times of my life.[/quote']

Haha, that sucks dude. A little off topic, but bronchitis is the reason I stopped smoking. So for any smokers out there that wanna quit, find someone with bronchitis and ask them to sneeze in your face. You'll thank them later.:)

Archived