Lyoto Machida sidelined indefinitely!?

TimmyTuppence

I was under the impression that indefinitely meant forever? please tell me I am wrong.

This would be a big loss if he dosent come back, in my eyes he is one of the top 3 fighters in the UFC, and no rematch with Shogun that truly would be devestating.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003271.html

UPDATE.

Speaking to MMAJunkie.com, Ed Soares revealed:

“He had surgery yesterday on his left hand. The doctor said it was a complete success.”

“Lyoto’s hand has been actually injured for a while. Before the fight with “Shogun”, he went to the doctor, and he went to a special surgeon in Brazil. Basically, they say said that he was going to need surgery, but he didn’t want to cancel the fight.”

“He just roughed it through this training camp. The hand has been bothering him for quite a while now. It was one of those situations. He just roughed through it. We’re not trying to make any excuses or anything. We didn’t come out and say anything. We said Lyoto was 100 percent, which he was.

“But his injury has been bothering him for a while, so we went in and had the surgery, and they found bone spurs. They found a bone fragment down there. There were about four things the doctor said were causing him pain. Thank God they cleared him all up yesterday.”

On the Karate masters schedule for a return to training, Soares said:

“Lyoto can’t punch for at least six weeks, but most likely it will be about eight-to-ten weeks before he can start punching 100 percent. Most likely, he’ll be able to start training by mid-January.”

“We want that fight (with “Shogun”). We want to leave no doubt who the light heavyweight champion is.”

This will likely mean that the rematch will now go down in April next year, giving Machida all the time he needs to recover properly before stepping once again inside the octagon. The question everyone wants to know is, will we see a more decisive winner next time around with Machida fully healed?

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003275.html

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was under the impression that indefinitely meant forever? please tell me I am wrong.

This would be a big loss if he dosent come back' date=' in my eyes he is one of the top 3 fighters in the UFC, and no rematch with Shogun that truly would be devestating.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003271.html[/quote']

shogun still lost after sidelining machida? lol

u cant really credit shogun for machida breaking his hands.

thats debateable. broken hands means he landed a shot that was not flush and usually to the skull or elbow. This could mean that Shogun did a good just with head movement and keeping his guard up. Machida had alot of trouble landing flush. A novice observer (edit: Cecil Peoples) looks at his hand flujrries and says wow. However most of his shots landed on Shogun's arms.

thats debateable. broken hands means he landed a shot that was not flush and usually to the skull or elbow. This could mean that Shogun did a good just with head movement and keeping his guard up. Machida had alot of trouble landing flush. A novice observer (edit: Cecil Peoples) looks at his hand flujrries and says wow. However most of his shots landed on Shogun's arms.

you can brake your hand with flush shots too. But its hard to always hit flush when your target is moving unpredictably, such is MMA, and a reason why there are a good deal of hand injuries after some fights.

Sucks that he is out, I know we all were hoping for a quick rematch. I think a hand injury would heal quicker then a leg injury though, so it may not be too long.

Machida breaks his hands... this means he won't even be able to start training for a good 2 to 3 months. If the UFC deems that an interim title should be given.... I'd say Shogun vs. Evans/Silva winner... that would be the only reasonable explination to the situation!

This would be a big loss if he dosent come back' date=' in my eyes he is one of the top 3 fighters in the UFC, and no rematch with Shogun that truly would be devestating.

Well I guess after Anderson Silva's match with Vitor(if that happens), Shogun will face Anderson for the Interim title then.........

Machida breaks his hands... this means he won't even be able to start training for a good 2 to 3 months. If the UFC deems that an interim title should be given.... I'd say Shogun vs. Evans/Silva winner... that would be the only reasonable explination to the situation!

I agree. Machida's injury could affect the rematch with Shogun

you can brake your hand with flush shots too. But its hard to always hit flush when your target is moving unpredictably' date=' such is MMA, and a reason why there are a good deal of hand injuries after some fights.

Sucks that he is out, I know we all were hoping for a quick rematch. I think a hand injury would heal quicker then a leg injury though, so it may not be too long.[/quote']

True, hate too bring him into this but, Fedor hurt his hand as well during the Tim Sylvia fight. Which was why he postponed his fight with AA to january..... Maybe Lyoto hit Shogun at a wrong angle and hurt the wrist badly.

thats not true he got a suspension for the cut on his lip for like 60 days

there is nothing wrong with his hands that ive heard of because when they give you the suspensions they tell you what they are for he just got one cuz a cut on his lip. Nothing about broken or hurt hands.

you can brake your hand with flush shots too. But its hard to always hit flush when your target is moving unpredictably' date=' such is MMA, and a reason why there are a good deal of hand injuries after some fights.

Sucks that he is out, I know we all were hoping for a quick rematch. I think a hand injury would heal quicker then a leg injury though, so it may not be too long.[/quote']

I broke my hand. Shattered the 5th metacarpal which is pretty standard fracture and it's 5 weeks minimum. Surgery is going to add 4 weeks too that. Pins more time. If its a irregular bone like in the wrists then thats months. After he gets cleared then he's got to go back to work to loosen the tendons muscles and ligaments and get into his regimen.

I wouldn't expect him to defend his title again till Feb atleast.

what weirds me out is that they pluralize hand. he broke both hands? someone said Faber broke both of his hands, and i thought he only broke 1 against Brown. maybe he did it twice. i just think that's weird. i also don't know if i should believe it. is that a reputable site? i don't remember his corner looking at his hand. i only remember them icing up his legs.

what weirds me out is that they pluralize hand. he broke both hands? someone said Faber broke both of his hands' date=' and i thought he only broke 1 against Brown. maybe he did it twice. i just think that's weird. i also don't know if i should believe it. is that a reputable site? i don't remember his corner looking at his hand. i only remember them icing up his legs.[/quote']

faber broke both hands

youre think who will fight for the interim belt...

Look guys...

SHOGUN vs ANDERSON SILVA

SHOGUN vs VITOR BELFORT

SHOGUN vs TITO ORTIZ

SHOGUN vs RAMPAGE JACKSON

I bet DANA will make that vs ANDERSON SILVA, because Machida and Silva are GOOD friends Silva wont fight againts Machida, since Machida is out indefinitely SILVA is ON the LINE...

Vitor Belfort vs Tito Ortiz for the number ONE Conterder for the INTERIM LIGHT HEAVY WEIGHT Championship...

I broke my hand. Shattered the 5th metacarpal which is pretty standard fracture and it's 5 weeks minimum. Surgery is going to add 4 weeks too that. Pins more time. If its a irregular bone like in the wrists then thats months. After he gets cleared then he's got to go back to work to loosen the tendons muscles and ligaments and get into his regimen.

I wouldn't expect him to defend his title again till Feb atleast.

ive broke bones in my hand before aswell, and id be highly surprised if machida fought before maybe june, your hands are your most important weapons in MMA and you cant risk coming back topo early because the first punch you throw or first kick you defend against may break your hand again

... maybe this is why Machida did not look like Machida ? We need to know what round the injuries occurred . Many neutral & Dragon fans noticed the distracted-look on his face & the lack of punches thrown . Kudos to Machida & Black House for not using this to excuse his somewhat flat performance .

Yeah he's screwed unless he has the best doctor that reais can buy haha. Do you think he called House?

have to see how long he's out for. not a fan of interim belts... at all

Neither am I but not all that fair for the other fighters to keep fighting for number one contender for.. nothing lol.

You know how Shogun blocks? Its basically a standard Thai defence, hands to the top or back of the head, and your elbows lead out in front, forearms covering face. Rampage Jackson does it alot. Its a great defence, because if a strike hits the elbow at full force... when the elbow is bent the way it is ( its solid and very hard to break when in that position), your more than likely going to really hurt yourself. Especially with small gloves like they use in MMA. It hurts even with 14oz gloves on!!! Imagine with smaller... breakages will easily occur. Also... you are right, you can damage and break your hand and wrist by connecting in the wrong way, and on parts of the body designed to be hard in order to protect you lol - you skull, however i think that would be unlikely, as not many punches were actually landed. But i think its because MAchida landed alot of his shots on Shoguns elbows and forearms when Shogun was covering up. And that is sure to cause some damage to the hands.

If it is just hand damage, he shouldnt be out for too long. Ok so whats that now... damaged ribs.... damaged legs.... damaged face... and damaged hands now lol ? This is most definetly the most hurt Machida has ever been lol.

Rashad and Tiago had there shots recently against Machida. Would kill to see Shogun vs. Anderson Silva. It seems as though those two guys dislike each other alot, so it would be more likely he would accept. I know he is already fighting Vitor, but further down the line, that would be an unbelieveable bout.

Why not?

I heard

"Shoguns' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried." and "Shogun does not sleep. He waits."

(i wanna turn this Chuck Norris thing into a Shogun thing on the forums)

Haha. Im all for that haha.

Lol this is a good one (obviously im just going to replace Chuck Norris with Shogun) - 'A Shogun -delivered Roundhouse Kick is the preferred method of execution in 16 states.'

And this one haha:

'Scientists have estimated that the energy given off during the Big Bang is roughly equal to 1SRhK (Shogun Roundhouse Kick)'

Last one haha:

'Shogun doesn't actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.'

Just some i can recall from the top of my head, but theres so many more of those haha.

Rashad and Tiago had there shots recently against Machida. Would kill to see Shogun vs. Anderson Silva. It seems as though those two guys dislike each other alot' date=' so it would be more likely he would accept. I know he is already fighting Vitor, but further down the line, that would be an unbelieveable bout.[/quote']

Im hanging for that as well. It has so much potential for one of the best fights to date in the UFC.

... maybe this is why Machida did not look like Machida ? We need to know what round the injuries occurred . Many neutral & Dragon fans noticed the distracted-look on his face & the lack of punches thrown . Kudos to Machida & Black House for not using this to excuse his somewhat flat performance .

Yeah, I would guess at the end of the 3rd, or start of the 4th. And that is a very good point. He was not himself those last two rounds. I heard no excuses.

Yeah' date=' I would guess at the end of the 3rd, or start of the 4th. And that is a very good point. He was not himself those last two rounds. I heard no excuses.[/quote']

The main thing that looked different in those rounds, was his stance. And his movement. Especially is rounds four and five. And i put that down to the leg kicks... His movement off his front leg was very stiff and slow, you could visibly see the kicks were hurting him. However, it wouldnt surprise me if he broke his hand or wrist, a hell of alot of his punches were blocked, and it can feel like your hitting a brick wall when you dont connect to the right place with a punch. But yeh, if he did break his hand during the fight... kudos to him for making it look like nothing was wrong. Iv broke my hand in a fight before.. and i couldnt carry on.. i tried and i couldnt...hmm maybe thats one of the reasons why im not a UFC fighter lol.

The main thing that looked different in those rounds' date=' was his stance. And his movement. Especially is rounds four and five. And i put that down to the leg kicks... His movement off his front leg was very stiff and slow, you could visibly see the kicks were hurting him. However, it wouldnt surprise me if he broke his hand or wrist, a hell of alot of his punches were blocked, and it can feel like your hitting a brick wall when you dont connect to the right place with a punch. But yeh, if he did break his hand during the fight... kudos to him for making it look like nothing was wrong. Iv broke my hand in a fight before.. and i couldnt carry on.. i tried and i couldnt...hmm maybe thats one of the reasons why im not a UFC fighter lol.[/quote']

Uriah Faber broke both hands and was still the aggressor with elbow strikes in the Brown fight. The fact that Machida's post fight injuries are coming to light and his performance in the last 2 rounds further prove that he was a beaten fighter. But hey, the 14 Machida fans saying you have to knock out the champ to be the champ are the one's who know everything.

This is laughable. This is a way for Machida to dodge a rematch, and try and make it seem like his fists did anything in the Shogun fight. In reality, 2 ribs are broken and he needs a few months for these to heal properly. Hands lol, surgery, lol. What a joke. Machida is a biatch.

I would say Rashad will probably want a piece of that right now especially if Loyota is out of the picture for a while and then get another chance. Of cource, Rua will probably beat Rashad. Anderson would be a good choice, but this would mean that he would absolutely have to fight Machida and I don't think Anderson Silva would do that to his buddy. I think he should. It is a professional sport and professionals should be responsible with there own feelings to get over fighting someone you are friends with. Not everyone can be Manager or Supervisor just like not everyone can be Champion. Let the best man win. I would like the see the spider step up.

so machida has 2 broken hands' date=' broken rib, messed up legs, got suspeneded because of cuts to his face, and yet he somehow got the nod? hahaha

Shogun vs winner of evan/silva for interim LHW title, then unify it whenever lyoto decides he can fight again[/quote']

Yeah funny isnt it:) I think Lyoto doesnt want to fight Shogun again.

They should just give the belt to Shogun already and stop this nonsense

Archived