Why can't GSP fight in another division like A. Silva?

mdm514

It is not optimal, but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt twice a year against lesser fighters.

It is not optimal' date=' but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt tice a year against lesser fighters.[/quote']

Self pride maybe? Perhaps he wants to keep his legacy going a little longer. Im sure he'll challenge himself at middleweight in the future. GSP vs Maia would be a nice induction to middleweight.

It is not optimal' date=' but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt tice a year against lesser fighters.[/quote']

... I'm guessing late 2010 GSP @ 185, Shields moved up & guillotined Lawlor,

Rush vs Shields is mandatory, then Rush or Shields vs Belfort ? Georges needs this to continue building his legacy .

No competition left? I cant wait to see Anthony "Rumble" Johnson destroy gsp

Rumble is a good young fighter, but he will be handled much the same way Alves was, then fans will be on to talking about the next guy who will destroy GSP. If you recall message boards were lit up prior to UFC100 with peeps claiming Alves was goin to "knock GSP the F out". And the argument that Rumble is a wrestler this, or a striker that...irrelevant. Hughes is a great wrestler, Kos is no slouch, Alves was supposedly "one of the best strikers in the UFC"....GSP mauled them all, just as he would likely do to Johnson.

i really don't think GSP wants to fight A. Silva...he mentioned he needs a year to bulk up...guys fight in other divisions all the time...i think he wants to try and add as much weight properly to keep his weight/strength advantage...

I'm not so sure its a question of want or not, so much as does it make sense for him to change his body to do so which in turn may make it harder for him to get back to peak form for WW fights. Their weight classes may be separated by 15Lbs, but I am guessing on fight night for each in their respective weight that spread is more like 20-25Lbs cuz whether it is at 185 or 205, there is not much difference in Silva's physique on fight night, so I am guessing when he fights at 185 he is closer to 200Lbs on fight night.

If GSP adds on muscle trying to go up, he will be making things tough on himself to get back down anytime soon....he will be in the same boat Rumble is in, embarrassing himself not making weight.

It is not optimal' date=' but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt twice a year against lesser fighters.[/quote'] we all know gsp will move up someday. but for gsp to move up he would have to put on atleast 15-20 lbs he walks around at 185. Put i love the idea of gsp vs mia that would be good!

rumble is a good young fighter' date=' but he will be handled much the same way alves was, then fans will be on to talking about the next guy who will destroy gsp. If you recall message boards were lit up prior to ufc100 with peeps claiming alves was goin to "knock gsp the f out". And the argument that rumble is a wrestler this, or a striker that...irrelevant. Hughes is a great wrestler, kos is no slouch, alves was supposedly "one of the best strikers in the ufc"....gsp mauled them all, just as he would likely do to johnson.[/quote']true!

It is not optimal' date=' but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt twice a year against lesser fighters.[/quote']

Many good points have been made about this subject. My take is GSP wants to beat Matt Hughes record for title defenses, then in his own words "try different weight classes for a challenge" Guys like Silva are more like a natural weight class above the one they choose to fight in. GSP is a natural welterweight, therefore adding weight and feeling comfortable with it would require adding muscle mass, something not easily removed. I believe any move would be a permanent one. Matt Hughes made a career and his status as best ww of all time by continuing to beat on his own division and no one had a problem with that. For some reason GSP doesn't get that same consideration. Most fighters stay in their natural weight division and only a few change, mostly because of not being successful rather than having success and challenging themselves.

GSP vs Maia would be an embarassing fight' date=' and the last one that I think should happen if GSP moves up to 185 in the future. Maia is great on the ground, but his wrestling is nowhere near good enough to take GSP down and of course Maia would be humiliated in the striking department. Would be a one sided stand up humiliation.[/quote']

I think you are probably bang on. If GSP moves up some decent matchups for him to test the 185Lb waters in my opinion would be Marquardt, Sonnen, maybe even a heavy handed guy like Leben, although I think GSP would maul him too...lol. I'd love to see GSP fight Hendo. But really, whether us as fans readily admit it, GSP probably has 3-4 fights at WW to take by rights. Forget about whether we THINK a fighter will win, its about have they earned their shot....and the following are all close to deserving that chance:

Swick

Fitch in a rematch

Rumble

maybe even Hardy after another fight or two.

And there are guys who would be close to a shot if not for the fact they all happen to lose the odd one to some of the other guys on the same list:

Kampmann

Davis

Lytle

Koscheck

Any of these guys wins their next 2 or so fights and they will likely be close to a shot.

And give Paul daley some time. Only has one UFC fight, a win over a guy who was to be close to a title shot in Kampmann.

It is not optimal' date=' but when there is no competition that you have not already beat in your division, maybe it is time to move up in the name of testing yourself. Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and others have done it. Why does it seem like this is never mentioned as a possibility for GSP? I would rather that than watch him continually dominate a division that does not have anyone who can push him at all. Not interested in watching him dismantle the winner of Hardy vs. Swick. GSP would destroy absolutely any welterweight right now. Time to push the limits of your career, instead of defending your belt twice a year against lesser fighters.[/quote']

Well its because take your two examples.

Bj Pen moving up to welter weight didnt really work out for him because he is a little small.

Anderson Silva on the other hand could fight at heavy weight so moving up for him isnt that hard.

GSP is more in the middle, he is under sized at 185 and I dont know if his wrestling would be as good against some bigger guys like dan henderson and nate marquart.

I honestly think GSP would have a better shot against Silva then Henderson because maybe GSP can take Silva down, i dont see him taking henderson down.

GSP has actually said in interviews that after he breaks matt hughes' record he will move up to MW to challenge himself. that means he will get 6 title defenses (already has 3, and 4 is around the corner) and then move up. he also said that it would be a permanent move, so i think by the end of 2011 GSP will be at MW. sadly anderson will have retired by then

Bj Pen moving up to welter weight didnt really work out for him because he is a little small.

It did not work out for him in his last effort against GSP' date=' but BJ did hold the WW title.

GSP is more in the middle, he is under sized at 185 and I dont know if his wrestling would be as good against some bigger guys like dan henderson and nate marquart.

GSP trains with heavyweights. Has also taken down and tossed Rashad Evans around almost at will in training, readily admitted by Rashad. GSP may have to work a bit harder for take downs against some of the good wrestlers at 185, but I still think he would take most down with relative ease as he does at WW.

No competition left? I cant wait to see Anthony "Rumble" Johnson destroy gsp

if rumble can improve his sprawling and bjj then he could beat GSP' date=' cause he does have a much better stand-up[/quote']

I can't wait to see this fight either, cuz I think it will go much the same as the Alves fight, only GSP will finish him as I don't think Rumble has the same resiliency that Alves has....Alves took a beat down from GSP for 5 rounds, and knew he got his **** whooped.

if rumble can improve his sprawling and bjj then he could beat GSP' date=' cause he does have a much better stand-up[/quote']

I would disagree....just because he doesn't have knock your head off power in both fists doesn't mean Johnson is a better striker....GSP is a phenomenal striker with hands and feet and lightening quick combinations...he connects with most of his strikes and blends his takedowns in seamlessly...

I would disagree....just because he doesn't have knock your head off power in both fists doesn't mean Johnson is a better striker....GSP is a phenomenal striker with hands and feet and lightening quick combinations...he connects with most of his strikes and blends his takedowns in seamlessly...

very true, gsp is one of the best strikers in the ufc. and this is not a fight johnson has a chance in outside of a punchers chance. there is no way johnson could stop gsp from taking him down, and once down gsp would have choices about how he wants to finish the fight. gnp or submission, because rumbles ground game is crap.

I would also say GSP has better striking than Rumble. I like Anthony Johnson but I don't think he could take GSP. I think people are focusing so much on GSPs takedowns and wrestling that they're forgetting what an amazing striker he is.

much much better, so what if he isnt as strong. rumble doesnt have anything to offer gsp other than his power. he hasnt fought anyone good yet, the best people he has fought are clementi and fioravanti, thats not saying much.

much much better' date=' so what if he isnt as strong. rumble doesnt have anything to offer gsp other than his power. he hasnt fought anyone good yet, the best people he has fought are clementi and fioravanti, thats not saying much.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree 100%. But like I said, I do like Rumble (not as much as I like GSP) I just don't think he has what it takes. At least not yet. Johnson is a young dude he still has a lot of years to work on his game.

The UFC said they'll move GSP up to fight Anderson Silva very soon. But the thing is GSP doesn't cut that much weight to make his division. He said that after the Alves fight. So if he did move up he would need time to get big cause then the middle weights would be too much for him to handle. GSP is great but fighting a guy who outweighs you by 20 pounds is a bit much to handle.

Also his division is pretty stacked. Or at least it was a few months ago before everyone started to get beat by him or other top contenders. They got Swick, Johnson, Hardy, Kampmann is still up there, Fitch is making a comeback. Hughes is still gonna fight too. And I?m sure Thiago Alves wants another fight for the belt. The reason Anderson Silva moved up is because his division is no where near as packed with top fighters at the welterweight division is, as far as the UFC is concerned. So its hard to move him up when everyone is right there about to get a title shot. And the only reason BJ went up is for a revenge fight. Not because he had dominated everyone. That was true back when he faced Hughes and the lightweight division was terminated, but as of right now he shouldn't have went up for that fight.

And one more reason gsp hasn't moved up a weight class (and before anyone gets mad at me for saying this or thinks I?m being mean to GSP I would just like to say he is great fighter and I really do respect him and he is one of the best ever) is because he hasn't truly finished anyone since Matt Serra, who was just overwhelmed, and Matt Hughes. Jon Fitch went to decision, bj was going to a decision had BJ not quit, Thiago alves went to a decision. He definitely dominates everyone he fights, but Anderson finishes, other than Thales Leites who ran away and fell over and over again, and Patrick Cote. And BJ finishes too. So they got to move up since they proved their division couldn't handle being in the ring with them. Most people in GSP?s division get man handled but they never get submitted or knocked out. I'm not saying GSP is a bad fighter. Its just that the level of competition he fights is a little higher than, or more equal to him, than the people Anderson fights. Once he does start to finish, and I'm sure it'll be soon since he is a great fighter, he'll move up every few fights just like Anderson Silva.

i dont think GSP can make it to 155 without losing alot of muscle mass.. and i dont see him doing to well at 185.. he walks around in the 180's so he wont even have to cut weight.. and it looks like hes packed all the muscle he can for his frame..

GSP is a 170 lb fighter.. maybe if he had a little more height would he be able to go for 185.. but GSP at around 205 lbs would look weird to me..

i think that if georges moved up to middleweight he would dominate there too. i know a lot of people would disagree with me but i think st peirre would beat silva. silva would not be able to sprawl good enough and would be taken down at will. im not saying pierre would be able to ko or tko silva but he could definitley ground and pound him for 25 minutes to stall out a decision like he always does.

Too small, and too scared.....Look what happened when he fought Alves.........he pulled his groin muscle lifting Alves heavy carcass. All the fighters in 185lbs division are really 215lbs fighters that cut too 185lbs. The only guys around GSP size are Chris Leben, Akiyama, and Demian Maia. Everyone else is the size of Andy Silva. He'd get r*ped against the Middleweight division.

gsp is going to go up to 185 when anderson retires until then he is going to stay at WW...

Sniff, sniff,,,Hmm, I smell someone who dislikes GSP talking stupid crap again. Dont know why you bother to run your mouth, you end up sounding like you have no mma clue, which I'm sure you have, right......right?

Anyway...I cant figure out why GSP get's so much pressure when he is a natural welterweight. Because Silva goes up (due to his natural weight) this all of a sudden means GSP has to? If, and it's a big if, GSP went to mw I'm sure he would dominate just as he has in ww considering his skill set is higher than any fighter in the UFC and he would do what is necessary to gain the 15-20 lbs of muscle. Best take down % UFC...Best take down defense UFC...Most signifigant strikes UFC. I believe this would translate

into the best mw UFC

this made me laugh out loud.

GSP has some of the best stand up around. He has landed more strikes then anyone else in the UFC.'

Rumble would get tooled.

Sniff' date=' sniff,,,Hmm, I smell someone who dislikes GSP talking stupid crap again. Dont know why you bother to run your mouth, you end up sounding like you have no mma clue, which I'm sure you have, right......right?

Anyway...I cant figure out why GSP get's so much pressure when he is a natural welterweight. Because Silva goes up (due to his natural weight) this all of a sudden means GSP has to? If, and it's a big if, GSP went to mw I'm sure he would dominate just as he has in ww considering his skill set is higher than any fighter in the UFC and he would do what is necessary to gain the 15-20 lbs of muscle. Best take down % UFC...Best take down defense UFC...Most signifigant strikes UFC. I believe this would translate

into the best mw UFC[/quote']

weighing 185lbs is not a natural Welterweight. Matt Serra is a natural Welterweight, as is Bj Penn and all the Lightweights in UFC except Tyson Griffin who is a natural Lightweight.

LOL!!! Just because Rumble has knocked out a few sub-par fighters does not mean his striking is even in the same class as GSP. Do some research before you say something stupid. Rumble might have more power, but I think Alves has better stand up than Rumble and look what happened to him.

I think its funny when people mention jake shields in the same sentence as gsp, jake would have absolutely no chance at beating george, jakes great a jui-jitsu and all, but he would have to take george down hahaha and that would be impossible for the guy, gsp would knock sheilds the fu ck out, and if sheilds does come to ufc, there is no way that he will be coming as a middleweight, so him fighting Belfort, will never happen. And as for the tard saying gsp would beat anderson, he would have to get in on anderson and take him down, i think he would shoot in and catch a huge knee to the face!

Sniff' date=' sniff,,,Hmm, I smell someone who dislikes GSP talking stupid crap again. Dont know why you bother to run your mouth, you end up sounding like you have no mma clue, which I'm sure you have, right......right?

into the best mw UFC[/quote']

sniff sniff i see a gsp **** who cant see beyond reality...

GSP is too small to fight at middleweight and if he did he would not be as dominant as he is in the ww, maybe win against the middle tier but he will have a lot of trouble with the likes of belford , henderson , anderson , nate .... Why do you think he hasnt gone up ????

GSP is a natural WW and thats it , so if you want to believe otherwise i cant help you see reality...

Just as bj got own at WW by a top fighter (gsp) and just like anderson will get beat by brock lesnar..

BTW please stop with the gsp spar with rashad , thats just trainning

everyone has a thing for wanting to find somone who can beat the elite. they say sera has his number and he wins. they say hughs can do it and he wins. they say he aint got nothin on fitch and he wins. then alves is gonna ko him and guess what he wins. and let us not forget about the 30,000 people who knew for a fact bj would stomp him out.

the reality is he has no competition as a ww. if you made a list of the best strikers, best gnp, best wrestlers, best take downs for 170....gsp would be #1 on all those lists easily. rumble, daley, and alves win by power shots to slow guys....i think the only time youll ever see this work on gsp is in the matt serra fight. and i think we can all agree gsp learned that lesson. kampmann, swick, hardy, fitch and kos are all lesser athletes and has nothing more the a punchers chance. so the question isnt who can beat him at ww. the question is should he stay and beat up people until he tires of it or should he step outside the box and challenge himself.

sniff sniff i see a gsp **** who cant see beyond reality...

GSP is too small to fight at middleweight and if he did he would not be as dominant as he is in the ww' date=' maybe win against the middle tier but he will have a lot of trouble with the likes of belford , henderson , anderson , nate .... Why do you think he hasnt gone up ????

GSP is a natural WW and thats it , so if you want to believe otherwise i cant help you see reality...

Just as bj got own at WW by a top fighter (gsp) and just like anderson will get beat by brock lesnar..

BTW please stop with the gsp spar with rashad , thats just trainning[/quote']

+1.

This is the real reason why he hasn't and shouldn't go up. They have weight classes for a reason. Regardless of his skills, and I am a huge GSP fan, he simply isn't big enough. And if anyone wants to argue about size not mattering just take a look at Brock and realize that there is no reason for him to go up.

And for the ones saying that he should challenge himself, if he did go up and try to fight the top mw's then he would have all the cards stacked against him which isn't a fair challenge. The logical thing to do would be to stay at WW.

I think its funny when people mention jake shields in the same sentence as gsp' date=' jake would have absolutely no chance at beating george, jakes great a jui-jitsu and all, but he would have to take george down hahaha and that would be impossible for the guy, gsp would knock sheilds the fu ck out, and if sheilds does come to ufc, there is no way that he will be coming as a middleweight, so him fighting Belfort, will never happen. And as for the tard saying gsp would beat anderson, he would have to get in on anderson and take him down, i think he would shoot in and catch a huge knee to the face![/quote']

.. another noob spouting opinion as fact, Shields has not lost since 2004 (UD), before that, 2002 (MD), 12 wins in a row & he never lost to Serra . If GSP wants to build his legacy, he must move up late 2010 . GSP vs Shields is a super-huge event .

I don't think that he is too small for MW at all I mean the guy makes a perfect WW, his frame is just the right size and its packed with muscle, I say he should just carry some extra weight going into training and try fighting with it he might be a little smaller than some of the MWs' but not enough to make him lose advantage. He shouldn't even be considered as the best Pound4Pound fighter if he won't try other divisions, I'm hoping he's just going to sit where he is at the moment as king of the WW's and make a move up in the future. After Silva retires so at least he has a chance at the title ;)

i actually did alittle stat checking and found some interesting numbers. gsp walks around at around 190lbs in between fights with a planned out diet and alot of exercise to keep his weight in check. i think he could get to 205+ pretty easily and naturally if he wanted to which would put him right around most other mw. anyways aside from the weight here are the stats.

gsp- 5'10- 76" reach

maia- 6'0- 72" reach

nate-6'0- 74" reach

hendo-6'1- 74" reach

silva- 6'2- 77"reach

belfort-6'0- 74" reach

bisping-6'2- 75" reach

leben-5'11-70.5 reach

yes gsp is a touch short compaired to the rest of the top mw but he's very close and do to his superhuman reach he doesnt suffer in that department at all. any way you look at it, i dont think size would be a factor in him being a mw

LOL!!! Just because Rumble has knocked out a few sub-par fighters does not mean his striking is even in the same class as GSP. Do some research before you say something stupid. Rumble might have more power' date=' but I think Alves has better stand up than Rumble and look what happened to him.[/quote']

Agreed. Alves' striking is much better than Rumble.Rumble's size helps out with his power but his striking technique does not compare to Alves.GSP will own Rumble and I do believe he could handle alot of the 185's too.

It's up to GSP if he wants to move up. Whether he does or doesn't it really doesn't matter.He is a natural WW so if he did move up and lost there wouldn't any shame in that.I personally don't mind either way what he does.He will get plenty of challenging fights if he stays or moves up and someone will beat him at some point in his career. Just hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

.. another noob spouting opinion as fact' date=' Shields has not lost since 2004 (UD), before that, 2002 (MD), 12 wins in a row & he never lost to Serra . If GSP wants to build his legacy, he must move up late 2010 . GSP vs Shields is a super-huge event .[/quote']

In this 12 fight streak, last eight by finish, Shields has wins over 4 Top10 fighters and 4 Top 20-30 fighters. Compare Swick and Hardy they have 2 Top 20-30 wins each and no Top 10 wins in there careers. Shields was in the top 10 BEFORE this streak.

Shields went to MW for one reason, more compelling fights at Strikeforce at MW. Lawler, Miller, Santiago, Lindland, Jacare, and more on the way. It is risky, he could lose to the bigger, stronger more highly ranked fighters. A loss puts him back a little, he could look good beating WW's a little further down the pecking order and most fans would say he is a beast

The UFC needs Shields for the whole welterweight division, until they do GSP shoud go up to the competition.

before bj penn moved up to fight gsp he was considered in the run for P4P best fighter.. After he got own by gsp nobody talks about bj penn anymore.. Samething is going to happen to gsp when he faces the likes of henderson , anderson , nate , belford (all of them can easy fight at 205 and they have fought at 205), sorry but as skill as gsp is ( and so is bj penn) sizewise he is at disadvantage , plus if you consider that gsp uses his size advantage to beat most of the WW (GNP) , it is not going to happen at middleweight ...

Anderson silva also wants to go to heavyweight but he is going to face a similar problem if he ever faces the likes of lesnar , as skill as anderson is he will get taking down and when he has a 300 monster on top of him , he wont be able to get him out...

before bj penn moved up to fight gsp he was considered in the run for P4P best fighter.. After he got own by gsp nobody talks about bj penn anymore.. Samething is going to happen to gsp when he faces the likes of henderson ' date=' anderson , nate , belford (all of them can easy fight at 205 and they have fought at 205), sorry but as skill as gsp is ( and so is bj penn) sizewise he is at disadvantage , plus if you consider that gsp uses his size advantage to beat most of the WW (GNP) , it is not going to happen at middleweight ...

Anderson silva also wants to go to heavyweight but he is going to face a similar problem if he ever faces the likes of lesnar , as skill as anderson is he will get taking down and when he has a 300 monster on top of him , he wont be able to get him out...[/quote']

Fair true statement. Theres risk involved moving up to middleweight and facing Anderson Silva, #1 p4p fighter in the world. If GSP loses, some people may not look up to him as much and may even write him off, and people might praise Anderson even more. On the flip side, if he beats Anderson, then people start questioning Anderson as #1 p4p and GSP gains more respect. Its all about making the smart move, and at present moving up to middleweight might be bad timing.

i actually did alittle stat checking and found some interesting numbers. gsp walks around at around 190lbs in between fights with a planned out diet and alot of exercise to keep his weight in check. i think he could get to 205+ pretty easily and naturally if he wanted to which would put him right around most other mw. anyways aside from the weight here are the stats.

gsp- 5'10- 76" reach

maia- 6'0- 72" reach

nate-6'0- 74" reach

hendo-6'1- 74" reach

silva- 6'2- 77"reach

belfort-6'0- 74" reach

bisping-6'2- 75" reach

leben-5'11-70.5 reach

yes gsp is a touch short compaired to the rest of the top mw but he's very close and do to his superhuman reach he doesnt suffer in that department at all. any way you look at it' date=' i dont think size would be a factor in him being a mw[/quote']

When people say he is a natural WW it normally means it is the closest weight class to his normal weight, and the one he is most used to fighting/training at. So we aren't talking about naturally putting on the weight, if he had to go into a specific diet and train differently then you could say that it really isn't natural. And your body reacts differently to the training and fighting at a different weight so that is also a factor that is a negative.

Either way, it's GSP's choice.

Archived