Exclusive: Josh Neer released by UFC

freedom

http://www.fightmarks.com/story.php?title=exclusive-josh-neer-released-by-ufc

What began as an impressive third tour of duty in the UFC for Josh Neer has ended in release. Sources closed to the Iowa-based fighter informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com early Saturday morning that Neer was let go by the organization shortly after his unanimous decision loss to Gleison Tibau at UFC 104 last Saturday. The defeat was Neer?s second consecutive in the Octagon and his third in his last four fights.

The six-year vet began his career in 2003 and first made his UFC debut in 2005, losing to Drew Fickett via decision at the first-ever UFC Fight Night. After two fights outside of the UFC, he returned in 2006, where he recorded back-to-back wins over veterans of The Ultimate Fighter, Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard. However, he would go on to lose fights at UFC 61 and UFC 62 to Josh Burkman and Nick Diaz, respectively.

Josh Neer gots no ground game. He loses to everyone with a decent ground game so i'm not suprised he got let go.

Really!?! I always thought Josh's ground game was decent. He was always busy off his back. Nate Diaz couldn't finish him , and he subbed both Melvin Guillard and Mac Danzig. He was never finished, apart from once due to cuts. I think it's a shame he got cut.

Josh Neer gots no ground game. He loses to everyone with a decent ground game so i'm not suprised he got let go.

You gotta be kidding me if you think he has no ground game. He's easily one of the most active guys on his back. His weakness is not his ground game, but his lack of takedown defense.

IMO, he won his last fight, but unfortunately, takedowns followed with nothing score points.

Yeah whoever signs Neer is getting a really great fighter and I hope he continues to fight for a long time I don't think the decision reflects on him so much as it does on the UFC and the fact that this is the premier MMA organization and it has very high expectations of its fighters.

You gotta be kidding me if you think he has no ground game. He's easily one of the most active guys on his back. His weakness is not his ground game' date=' but his lack of takedown defense.

IMO, he won his last fight, but unfortunately, takedowns followed with nothing score points.[/quote']

I have to agree. Tibau is the one I would cut. Scores takedowns with ease, (the guys huge for lightweight) but has no power to stop a fight with g n p. Atleast Neer is willing to take a punch to get one in. And Neer had no problems get back to his feet.

You gotta be kidding me if you think he has no ground game. He's easily one of the most active guys on his back. His weakness is not his ground game' date=' but his lack of takedown defense.

IMO, he won his last fight, but unfortunately, takedowns followed with nothing score points.[/quote']

Agree 100%

At least Batman tried to ground and pound him at 101. Tibau couldn't do a thing to Neer on the ground. Cannot say I'm devastated to see him go he had a huge hole in his game and in his future fights people were most likely going to exploit it. Plus it's not like the lightweight division is shallow or hurting for good fights.

Really!?! I always thought Josh's ground game was decent. He was always busy off his back. Nate Diaz couldn't finish him ' date=' and he subbed both Melvin Guillard and Mac Danzig.[/quote']

Melvin Guillard is a joke, who doesnt submit him when he is on the ground.. :P

And his last fight was tough to watch, altough he did get back to his feet he just couldnt stop the takedowns... which is a problem in mma

Melvin Guillard is a joke' date=' who doesnt submit him when he is on the ground.. :P

And his last fight was tough to watch, altough he did get back to his feet he just couldnt stop the takedowns... which is a problem in mma[/quote']

Admittedly, Guillards' sub defence is not great, but Neer came back from a pretty nasty cut to win that fight. I can't comment on the Tibau fight as a combination of the clocks going back in the UK, DVD recorders with a life of their own, and an incompetent mother (hope she never sees this!), means that I didn't see that fight. Still gutted he got cut though.

wow im am dissapointed...i know losing 3 out of 4 fights is bad but he brings it everytime! I would definatly like to see him fight more in the UFC. he's tough and durable..hopefully he can improve his bjj and wrestling to stand the fights up where he wants them.

i agree josh always come to fight and his last to fights he did good workign on the bottom and them arvoiding any damage against a unbelivealy big Tibu who could throw him down but then couldnt follow up.

Archived