Eddie Bravo vs Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Ivegotgame115

As alluded to above, I think the question you need to answer is "why" do you want to learn bjj? If it is because you want to get involved with mma, then perhaps Eddie Bravo would be the way to go (assuming his school is completely no-gi).

However, there are some distinct advantages to be gained by training with a gi (especially when you are just starting out). Probably the most important is that the gi forces your technique to be spot-on. Therefore, it better reinforces the fundamentals, which will make you a more sound fighter regardless of whether you strictly stay with bjj or move over to mma. No-gi can be very forgiving as the time drags on and you and your training partner are all sweaty.

I would recommend starting with gi training and then moving on to no-gi (assuming that is what you want to do).

As alluded to above' date=' I think the question you need to answer is "why" do you want to learn bjj? If it is because you want to get involved with mma, then perhaps Eddie Bravo would be the way to go (assuming his school is completely no-gi).

However, there are some distinct advantages to be gained by training with a gi (especially when you are just starting out). Probably the most important is that the gi forces your technique to be spot-on. Therefore, it better reinforces the fundamentals, which will make you a more sound fighter regardless of whether you strictly stay with bjj or move over to mma. No-gi can be very forgiving as the time drags on and you and your training partner are all sweaty.

I would recommend starting with gi training and then moving on to no-gi (assuming that is what you want to do).[/quote']

Agreed. If it's for self-defense, gi is the way to go (most street fights occur while clothed). Oh yeah, as someone who's trained at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, I'll tell you, you can't go wrong. They have reformed their approach, and you learn most of the essentials right away.

I train at Graci Barra in Houston TX. To me its great because the people are friendly they help you out as much as they can and are very technical. Ive trained submission wrestling for 6 years before this and Ive already learned a ton of things I didnt know before...... I say Gracie is the way to go

I am going to start jiu jitsu in california and i was wondering what you guys thought was better eddie bravo jiu jiutsu which is no gi or gracie jiu jitsu which is gi they are the same distance apart so which is better

Most Gracie places also do No-Gi as well. Eddies twist on BJJ is pretty cool, but as far as overall quality, I'd definatly go with the Gracie BJJ over Eddie

Thanks for all the help i wasnt really sure which one is better to start out with but it sounds like gracie is better

Don't let anyone fool you that one is better then the other.

Someone ealier said in this thread that the Gi forces your technique to be spot on.

Let me say this when a person is sweaty with no gi and lets say you try an armbar to get it you can't rely on the crutch of holding the Gi to make up for lack of technique. Your technique has to be swift, smooth and technically very tight and flawless or you miss it.

So yeah same can be said of no-gi. Im not at all saying there's no technique or loss of with a Gi but I am saying it's apples to oranges.

If you don't believe that look at a person like Jean Jaques Machado who's technique is outstanding. He uses no gi skills to control ( underhooks, overhooks etc. ) because he doesn't have all his fingers on one hand and can't rely on gripping a gi for control.

Also concerning self defense whens the last time you saw somebody wearing a Gi on the street. Unless you live some where cold were everyone wears heavy duty coats no gi training is much more practical in warmer climates.;)

Anyway with that said the whole Gi or No-Gi debate about who is better is a myth.

I would suggest you atleast checkout both before making a decision. And choose one based on your priorities. There is one advantage for the Gracie school though in that they usually do both ( Which I highly recommend ) but Eddie only does No-Gi.

Agreed. If it's for self-defense' date=' gi is the way to go (most street fights occur while clothed). Oh yeah, as someone who's trained at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, I'll tell you, you can't go wrong. They have reformed their approach, and you learn most of the essentials right away.[/quote']

agree most street fights occur while clothed but the difference between normal street clothes and a bjj/judo gi is so big that you just cant compare the two.

Bravo teaches a variant of judo called no gi judo - includes tons of judo throws which a lot of bjj schools dont do.

Archived