Best Submission Names

Exodus9mm

Inspired by a reference to an Ezekiel choke by my homeboy Berserker, I decided to start a thread dedicated to the coolest sounding submission/jiu-jitsu moves in MMA.

My personal favs are:

Gogoplata, D'Arce Choke, and now the Ezekiel Choke.

They sound so ridiculously badass, you just know, you don't want to be in one. I know there are a tonne of terms and names for similar moves, which I'd love to hear.

I know a decent amount regarding JJ through intensive reading, watching, etc., but I'm sure I'm missing out on some even cooler sounding subs.

Fill us in.

To expound on one of your choices' date=' I heard Joe Rogan refer to a no-armed Ezekiel choke. What in the Blue Hell is that?[/quote']

No-armed Ezekiel Choke. Does it sound any friggin cooler? Even if I didn't know what JJ was, I'd still have nightmares about it.

Jiu-Jitsu lingo is its own language, and I love it. Hence the thread start.

No-armed Ezekiel Choke. Does it sound any friggin cooler? Even if I didn't know what JJ was' date=' I'd still have nightmares about it.

Jiu-Jitsu lingo is its own language, and I love it. Hence the thread start.[/quote']

I remember Rogan saying it was the only feasible submission from inside an opponents guard, but I can't remember which fight it was.

I do love an Anaconda choke.

my personal favorite is the rear naked choke' date=' sounds even better in potuguese and in spanish....the MATA-LEON! (the lion killer)[/quote']

Nice. Anything that translates to Lion Killer is top notch in my books. I think El Guapo once said that he'd RNC a lion, if he had to fight one. LOL

... In the 1930's' date=' Toshiro Mifune popularized the "Kagato Jime", now called a gogoplata & the "Juji Gatame" which is an arm-bar cranked from between the legs . (love the Japanese names)

If we were talking pain, the "Spine-Crank" or in my opinion the ultimate .. "Kneebar" ! :([/quote']

Yeah and very easy to apply, probablly why neck cranks are illegal in the UFC.

... In the 1930's' date=' Toshiro Mifune popularized the "Kagato Jime", now called a gogoplata & the "Juji Gatame" which is an arm-bar cranked from between the legs . (love the Japanese names)

If we were talking pain, the "Spine-Crank" or in my opinion the ultimate .. "Kneebar" ! :([/quote']

Love it. I'm with you on the japanese names. Such a beautiful language. Keep sending those.

Also known as the Calf Slicer as far as I know. There's also the bicep slicer. Both are extremely painful if applied properly.

I love the bicep crusher/slicer. Its a great way to open up an armbar that is being well defended or to actually finish the fight outright. They are also great from sidemount when done with legs becuase nobody looks for them. Great move

I love the bicep crusher/slicer. Its a great way to open up an armbar that is being well defended or to actually finish the fight outright. They are also great from sidemount when done with legs becuase nobody looks for them. Great move

You would be surprised how many people I get in key locks from feinting a Kimura. I have pretty strong arms so once I get that lock going its done. :P

Yeah' date=' thats what its all about, misdirection. You make them defend the obvious while setting up your real submission.[/quote']

Definitely... I throw so many jukes in my ground game that to an educated watcher its like watching a good technical striking match. The only problem I seem to have is getting overly aggresive, and over commiting against stronger opponents. I'm 6'3" 240ish so that doesnt come too often, but then again I'm not a Pro fighter.

Yeah and very easy to apply' date=' probablly why neck cranks are illegal in the UFC.[/quote']

AFAIK they are still legal. For the most part easy to escape though.

I love that Mir submission on Pete Williams you mentioned.

Another one is the Von Fluke choke

I also like the peruvian neck tie which I think is named after tony desouza since he's from peru and a master of it. I don't know if he invented it but think he was one of the first to really start using it alot and someone named it that as a nod to him. Least thats the theory.

I also like 10th planet JJ names for thier techniques. They have a ton.

Isn't another name for an anaconda choke called the barbado choke or something?

I think you may be thinking of the D'Arce choke which is AKA the Brabo choke.

The only other name the anaconda choke goes by that Im aware of is the gator roll but this is only in reference to the way you finish the choke after locking it in.

Just a few quick notes about the differences between the variations.

An Anaconda is similar to a arm triangle ( AKA Side choke ). The major difference is it's applied similar to a rear naked choke but from a front headlock position when you roll and turn into them it becomes really tight.

Another variation ( but without the arm ) is what I call a deep guillotine. It's exactly like a normal guillotine without the arm trapped but instead of using your forearm to apply pressure you sink it real deep that it's a biceps squeeze but you lock onto your own biceps similar to a rear naked choke. I've seen Nick Diaz do it and Miguel Torres likes to use it alot.

A D'arce is similar to an anaconda but in reverse. It's also applied similar to a rear naked choke but the choking arm is coming from behind and underneath in the opposite direction from a front headlock position. It's sort of like a reverse anaconda.

I think you may be thinking of the D'Arce choke which is AKA the Brabo choke.

The only other name the anaconda choke goes by that Im aware of is the gator roll but this is only in reference to the way you finish the choke after locking it in.

Just a few quick notes about the differences between the variations.

An Anaconda is similar to a arm triangle ( AKA Side choke ). The major difference is it's applied similar to a rear naked choke but from a front headlock position when you roll and turn into them it becomes really tight.

Another variation ( but without the arm ) is what I call a deep guillotine. It's exactly like a normal guillotine without the arm trapped but instead of using your forearm to apply pressure you sink it real deep that it's a biceps squeeze but you lock onto your own biceps similar to a rear naked choke. I've seen Nick Diaz do it and Miguel Torres likes to use it alot.

A D'arce is similar to an anaconda but in reverse. It's also applied similar to a rear naked choke but the choking arm is coming from behind and underneath in the opposite direction from a front headlock position. It's sort of like a reverse anaconda.

Sing it Stompy. JJ info much appreciated.

Whilst watching Shields vs Miller, one of the commentators got excited about the possibility of the the match being finished via "Twister". I like the idea of this move, but also now think that any fight that goes to decision should be settled via board game.

"Well Joe, the fight is over, and it's tough to seperate Machida and Shogun at this point, but I know Lyoto has been practising Operation extensively in his training camp."

Archived