How to beat Cain Velasquez.

MattN

I've been watching his fights, very impressive wrestling/judo. But I'm seeing the same thing over and over. He shoots, take you down, and very controlling on top. If you're underneath, good luck getting on your feet. And while you're figuring out how to get up on your feet, he traps your arms and pummels your face until you submit or ref calls it. He's very quick at figuring out moves to keep you on the ground, I guess it's instinct after so many years wrestling

So here's how you beat him. You can't. Unless you can out wrestle this guy, or knock him out with 1 punch, but he got a strong chin. My guess is low stance, and use his techniques against him. Guys like Lesnar, Carwin, or maybe Nog can beat him.

The pro wrestling guys will dominate 1v1 ufc fights. If you don't believe me, put Cain against Machida or Anderson Silva and see what happens.

Sigh.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Actually, he pretty much speaks the truth. The only guys in the UFC HW that can beat Cain are Lesnar, Carwin and Dos Santos. These 4 are the future of the UFC.

Cain would annihilate Machida or Anderson Silva, agreed. He's a beast.

Good thread.

Sorry, had to edit cause I completely forgot Big Nog. My apologies. He belongs in the list of guys who can beat Cain.

Actually' date=' he pretty much speaks the truth. The only guys in the UFC HW that can beat Cain are Lesnar, Carwin and Dos Santos. These 4 are the future of the UFC.

Cain would annihilate Machida or Anderson Silva, agreed. He's a beast.

Good thread.

Sorry, had to edit cause I completely forgot Big Nog. My apologies. He belongs in the list of guys who can beat Cain.[/quote']

Thank you

Sigh.

Obvious troll is obvious.

How so?

I would never say he would annihilate any top fighters who have proved they have skills, specially elusive strikers.. I think anyone who can play the same wrestling game as him, yet out muscles and out weighs him can beat him at his game easily. I think Lesnar would beat him just because of size. Thats one down side on the heavyweights, someone can have 40 pounds on you, which when it comes to wrestling, is a huge advantage.

Someone with sick ground skills also would have a good chance.

I would never say he would annihilate any top fighters who have proved they have skills' date=' specially elusive strikers.. I think anyone who can play the same wrestling game as him, yet out muscles and out weighs him can beat him at his game easily. I think Lesnar would beat him. Thats one down side on the heavyweights, someone can have 40 pounds on you, which when it comes to wrestling, is a huge advantage.[/quote']

Fair enough, a devastating striker like Silva shouldn't quite be ruled out so quickly. Machida I wouldn't say stands a chance, as I don't think his punches are that strong. Cain would get in on him instantly, and we'd see Machida on his back, taking devastating GnP to tko. That's my personal, biased opinion. :)

I disagree. I think that elusive striker like Machida or Anderson could be the key to beating Cain. Best bet against him is probably a very good jitsu guy like N0g

I don't know about that. Every fights Cain won so far were against strikers. If they can't defend take downs, and out wrestle Cain on the ground, they will lose. Strikers aren't great with take down defense.

I disagree. I think that elusive striker like Machida or Anderson could be the key to beating Cain. Best bet against him is probably a very good jitsu guy like N0g

Yeah, it's gonna take somebody with the ability to snake an arm in the middle of a GnP session that will take Cain out. Or a HW punch from Carwin, Dos Santos or Lesnar. I don't think Machida, or even Silva really, hit hard enough to phase a guy like Cain and his size. They might do damage, but not enough to keep him from getting in, dirty boxing, takedown, GnP.

Fair enough' date=' a devastating striker like Silva shouldn't quite be ruled out so quickly. Machida I wouldn't say stands a chance, as I don't think his punches are that strong. Cain would get in on him instantly, and we'd see Machida on his back, taking devastating GnP to tko. That's my personal, biased opinion. :)[/quote']

Ever take a hit from Machida?

One lesson that Evans learned, is that while you may be able to take a single punch from machida, add in several in a row, and you are bound to get knocked out. Evans tried to act ****y and like he could take the punches without putting up his guard, well several hits later and he was out. Sometimes you don't need a single knockout power to ko guys, but after several combo's, you are bound to go out, such as Machida fights. The human head was not meant to take blow after blow. Thing about Machida and Anderson, is that they are not easy to get on, like you said. Heck Rua couldn't even take him down. While I think Cain has better wrestling then Rua, still I don't subscribe to that he would be all over Machida or Anderson, they are skilled ellusive fighters. So far Rua did the best at thier game, by playing the game. But its a moot point as they are not in the same class.

I think anyone who can control Cain with muscle and weight will cancel out his grappling, add in striking ability, and there ya go, a good match. I don't see Cain beating lesnar as of yet.

Nah A Silva is afraid to go to the ground with people who are better than him there ( fair enough at the end of the day its smart fighting) But people have got him down before so i dont think Velasquez would have any trouble. I think he'd get the TKO pretty easily. Machida has a little better takedown defense though but not too sure against someone alot bigger than him like Cain or lesnar it might be a different story than normal.

Ever take a hit from Machida?

One lesson that Evans learned' date=' is that while you may be able to take a single punch from machida, add in several in a row, and you are bound to get knocked out. Evans tried to act ****y and like he could take the punches without putting up his guard, well several hits later and he was out. Sometimes you don't need a single knockout power to ko guys, but after several combo's, you are bound to go out, such as Machida fights. The human head was not meant to take blow after blow. Thing about Machida and Anderson, is that they are not easy to get on, like you said. Heck Rua couldn't even take him down. While I think Cain has better wrestling then Rua, still I don't subscribe to that he would be all over Machida or Anderson, they are skilled ellusive fighters. So far Rua did the best at thier game, by playing the game.

I think anyone who can control Cain with muscle and weight will cancel out his grappling, add in striking ability, and there ya go, a good match. I don't see Cain beating lesnar as of yet.[/quote']

True at the end of the day if someone stood in front of me and let me repeatedly smash them in the head they'd go down, i dont care who you are. Your not supposed to take damage like that. Cain is playing his career smart if you ask me. He's slightly testing himself every fight before going for the likes of Lesnar. I dont think he could beat lesnar anyway unless he put on some weight in muscle over his next few fights then maybe cause his stand up is better than Lesnars

Cain would be beaten by Carwin, Lesnar, Dos Santos, and Big Nog. I think Couture would give him a run as well. He looks good wrestling guys that don't know how to wrestle. Kongo rocked him and could have finished him if he had any ground skills. Cain is good, but he's not top 4 HW imho.

Nah A Silva is afraid to go to the ground with people who are better than him there ( fair enough at the end of the day its smart fighting) But people have got him down before so i dont think Velasquez would have any trouble. I think he'd get the TKO pretty easily. Machida has a little better takedown defense though but not too sure against someone alot bigger than him like Cain or lesnar it might be a different story than normal.

I thought maybe if they could avoid getting Cain to close and pick their shots but you are probably right Anderson has been taken down by much worse wrestlers so I guess that leaves jitsu guys like N0g, Gonzaga, Dos Santos

Cain would be beaten by Carwin' date=' Lesnar, Dos Santos, and Big Nog. I think Couture would give him a run as well. He looks good wrestling guys that don't know how to wrestle. Kongo rocked him and could have finished him if he had any ground skills. Cain is good, but he's not top 4 HW imho.[/quote']

Honestly, I think Carwin is the best HW in the UFC right now. He's good at everything, boxing, GnP, wrestling etc. And he finishes every fights very quick. Plus I like his cool and humble personality. My bet is on Carwin 3rd round, TKO vs Lesnar.

Honestly' date=' I think Carwin is the best HW in the UFC right now. He's good at everything, boxing, GnP, wrestling etc. And he finishes every fights very quick. Plus I like his cool and humble personality. My bet is on Carwin 3rd round, TKO vs Lesnar.[/quote']

Won't happen. Brock is dodging, cause he knows Carwin will knock him out. 3 months will turn into 6, into 12......

Anderson has been taken down by Marquardt, Henderson, and Lutter as well...why wouldn't Cain be able to take him down as well? Difference is Cain would not allow Anderson to his feet again...Cain would have Machida on his back as well...fighters are able to clinch and actually grab Machida, but it proves difficult to finish the takedown, but that's 205...against a HW...Cain will finish that grab with a takedown

Won't happen. Brock is dodging' date=' cause he knows Carwin will knock him out. 3 months will turn into 6, into 12......[/quote']

Brock won't drop out ufc 108, or people will really think he's dodging. Personally, I really think he was sick, we're still in the flu season. 108 is locked. I hope Lesnar train hard, b/c I want to see his best.

I agree.Machida and Silva don't hit hard enough.Cain can take a Punch from Kongo who can hit pretty darn hard.

take a punch indeed...although I would believe any punch with more power than Kongo's could be lights out for Cain...he looked like he was on the brink a few times

Machida already proved his dominance over a wrestler Tito ortiz did you not witness the destruction

what? Machida dominated Rashad...Tito lasted the full fight with a credible opportunity to win (by sub not decision)....plus Ortiz and Cain are two different fighters...someone mentioned Machida's chances against Cain...i wouldn't cite a Machida victory over a LHW wrestler as a reason he could beat a HW wrestler

Won't happen. Brock is dodging' date=' cause he knows Carwin will knock him out. 3 months will turn into 6, into 12......[/quote']

Lesner is fighting earlier than he could have. He wanted to fight, but he was sick. It would be hard to cut 40 pounds and train while being sick. Carwin is good, and could KO Lesner, but I don't think it will happen. Carwin was losing to GG before he caught him and K'd him the FO. Lesner will win in the 2nd round by TKO due to GNP.

Lesner is fighting earlier than he could have. He wanted to fight' date=' but he was sick. It would be hard to cut 40 pounds and train while being sick. Carwin is good, and could KO Lesner, but I don't think it will happen. Carwin was losing to GG before he caught him and K'd him the FO. Lesner will win in the 2nd round by TKO due to GNP.[/quote']

Carwin and Lesnar are very similar, both are superb wrestlers, they like to finish fights on top, beating their opponents to submission, so in terms of techniques, they're both probably even. It will all boils down to luck, athleticism. And frankly Carwin's muscles definition is more apparent, they're both fast for their weight, so he seems to be more athletic imo.

And usually the guy going for the tittle has much more motivation than the defending champ. Carwin will give it his all, you'll see a monster. I also heard that Carwin been training a lot of jujitsu too, so who knows, Brock might get submitted again.

cain is a poor mans lesnar, that fight would be garbage, because cain is garbage, such a boring fighter, absolutely hate the guy, would have no chance against brocky, i would love to see Cigano knock cain the F out, and as for carwain, he doesnt fight like brock, carwain kos people on the feet!

because he is talking about a heavyweight vs a light heavy weight or a middle weight.

It's a troll thread.

I'm trying to be respectful, but you're really ignorant. It's not a big difference in weight. Cain weigh 236, the 205 fighters cut weight before every fight. So it's not a huge difference. Cain, Machida, and Anderson are about the same size.

cain is one of the top rank HW right now.cain has proven to dominate bigger guys like kongo and rothwell.probably a striker is not a good match for cain because he takesdown strikers easily and gnp them until they quit or the ref stops it.probably bigger wrestlers like lesnar and carwin would be a test adn jiujitsu guys like big nog,i'm not sure about dos santos.but on the LHW side,he will take them easily like machida and a.silva,cain has a solid chin,his fight against kongo definitely gave him a test on taking punches.cain is a difficult opponent and will give lesnar a threat on his belt.

Lesner is fighting earlier than he could have. He wanted to fight' date=' but he was sick. It would be hard to cut 40 pounds and train while being sick. Carwin is good, and could KO Lesner, but I don't think it will happen. Carwin was losing to GG before he caught him and K'd him the FO. Lesner will win in the 2nd round by TKO due to GNP.[/quote']

OK dude that fight lasted 80 seconds so saying he was losing is...well you know, and the way that fight went should scare any heavyweight. Gonzaga broke Carwin's nose which dropped him and then Gonzaga jumped on him. Let me ask you, as good as Gonzaga is on the ground and as rocked as Shane was, you don't find it at all impressive that he got back up to his feet and knocked his butt out?

Now let me point out that Gonzaga is way better on the ground than Lesner. You do the math.

BTW i bet Brock wouldnt survive one session of Carwin's ground and pound. We havent seen it because everyone Carwin faces gets knocked out before they hit the ground.

And usually the guy going for the tittle has much more motivation than the defending champ. Carwin will give it his all' date=' you'll see a monster. I also heard that Carwin been training a lot of jujitsu too, so who knows, Brock might get submitted again.[/quote']

Thats a sick thought. If Carwin can bust out a submission I'm gonna go ape poop. That dude is good without BJJ, and pretty much the total package with it.

The only guy to win a round against Silva is Henderson... and he did it by wrestling. If Cain was able to follow that blueprint he would win. If he was dumb and tried to strike with him like forest did... well...

OK dude that fight lasted 80 seconds so saying he was losing is...well you know' date=' and the way that fight went should scare any heavyweight. Gonzaga broke Carwin's nose which dropped him and then Gonzaga jumped on him. Let me ask you, as good as Gonzaga is on the ground and as rocked as Shane was, you don't find it at all impressive that he got back up to his feet and knocked his butt out?

Now let me point out that Gonzaga is way better on the ground than Lesner. You do the math.

BTW i bet Brock wouldnt survive one session of Carwin's ground and pound. We havent seen it because everyone Carwin faces gets knocked out before they hit the ground.[/quote']

Why do you think Gonzaga is way better on the ground than Lesnar? Lesanar is a world class wrestler and he just destroyed Mir's half guard. what

I've been watching his fights' date=' very impressive wrestling/judo. But I'm seeing the same thing over and over. He shoots, take you down, and very controlling on top. If you're underneath, good luck getting on your feet. And while you're figuring out how to get up on your feet, he traps your arms and pummels your face until you submit or ref calls it. He's very quick at figuring out moves to keep you on the ground, I guess it's instinct after so many years wrestling

So here's how you beat him. You can't. Unless you can out wrestle this guy, or knock him out with 1 punch, but he got a strong chin. My guess is low stance, and use his techniques against him. Guys like Lesnar, Carwin, or maybe Nog can beat him.

The pro wrestling guys will dominate 1v1 ufc fights. If you don't believe me, put Cain against Machida or Anderson Silva and see what happens.[/quote']

I believe Dos Santos can beat cain. Power in strikes and a big nog bjj.

Cain Valasquez has been showing that he is the next Phenom in the UFC. He took two or three huge shots from the best HW striker in Kongo, and still made easy work of him. Made Rothwell (who really isnt that good anyway) look like an amateur. I think Cain will be the next big deal in the HW division. Beside Carwin (who I really dont think deserves the title shot), Cain is the only guy I see beating Lesnar. Big Nog is the man, but he isnt strong enough to hold a submission on Lesnar, and his rope - a - dope like ground game wouldnt do too well against Lesnar's ground control. Thats just me.

I've been watching his fights' date=' very impressive wrestling/judo. But I'm seeing the same thing over and over. He shoots, take you down, and very controlling on top. If you're underneath, good luck getting on your feet. And while you're figuring out how to get up on your feet, he traps your arms and pummels your face until you submit or ref calls it. He's very quick at figuring out moves to keep you on the ground, I guess it's instinct after so many years wrestling

The pro wrestling guys will dominate 1v1 ufc fights. If you don't believe me, put Cain against Machida or Anderson Silva and see what happens.[/quote']

its truth. Cant beat this guy unless you put him to sleep with one massive blow to the head.

Now if i were a smart person, as in not retarded i would say a strong outside game with a good shoot stuff and some powerful leg kicks would beat Cain. Turn his failed shoots into clinchs and break out with elbows and counter punches than wait for his takedown again and rinse/repeat.

Archived