Wrestling Pedigrees?

MysticKJ

I hear a lot of comments about X is a better wrestler than Y...because he has a better wrestling pedigree...i have a general idea of what that means but what EXACTLY does that mean?

I am assuming Div I > Div II > Div III > JUCO?

I hear Lesnar is a better wrestler than Cain...i thought they both won Nat'l Titles

Does it matter what school you got to also or something? Or are people just saying someone is a better wrestler as a personal opinion?

I hear a lot of comments about X is a better wrestler than Y...because he has a better wrestling pedigree...i have a general idea of what that means but what EXACTLY does that mean?

I hear Lesnar is a better wrestler than Cain...i thought they both won Nat'l Titles

Does it matter what school you got to also or something? Or are people just saying someone is a better wrestler as a personal opinion?

Most often in the case of Cain and Brock it's personal preference. Cain won his later then Brock, so they never squared off in college. But looking at the number of fighters coming out of Arizona State's wrestling program lately into the UFC i'd say there's something in the water there. :P

Are you english? LOL

GSP has no collegiate credentials but he has arguably the best MMA adapted wrestling in the game and walks through opponents with better pedigrees, taking them down at will and easily controlling them. So when people rave about some titles that were won 10 years ago I say meh :P

Cain's national championship' date=' was in Junior College. He was an all american at Arizona state, but some would say a D-1 national title weighs a little more than a junior college national title, go figure.[/quote']

thats because the better wrestlers are recruited to div 1 colleges. a junior college wrestler is not gonna face as good competition as a div 1 wrestler.

GSP has no collegiate credentials but he has arguably the best MMA adapted wrestling in the game and walks through opponents with better pedigrees' date=' taking them down at will and easily controlling them. So when people rave about some titles that were won 10 years ago I say meh :P[/quote']

You have to take into account that he has something many amatuer wrestlers don't have, and thats a fighters instinct. He is a world class striker that uses his timing with striking and applies it to his shots and wrestling. He is a BJJ blackbelt so once they're on the ground it's academic as far as hip control and grounding your opponent. He also trains with a damn horse stable of pro fighters. ;)

GSP also trains with Canadian Olympic wrestling team and really has transvered his mma style.

I also believe what style of wrestler you are also has a big thing to with it Greco' date=' Freestyle, folkstyle and also your individual way of wrestling and how it transfers over to mma.[/quote']

Exactly. Technically GSP has no wrestling pedigree, but appears to use wrestling in MMA better than anyone else.

Sure, I would take pedigree to mean what you accomplished in formal westling at the different levels, including Olympics, like Hendo's Silver medal. Randy Couture was Olympic alternate like 4 times. Thats a great pedigree.

Thats the formal "pedigree", which is not a technical word, just something used to describe fighters. But with GSP as the example, as the other poster said, he does train with the successful Canadian wrestling team members, some of whom had defected from the USSR and were very successful there. As a hint at the real state of his ability, without the pedigree, GSP was asked to wrestle for the Canadian Olympic team, or at least try out. I guess he declined.

I would think it would be hard to "go backward", and learn wrestling after knowing MMA

Exactly. Technically GSP has no wrestling pedigree' date=' but appears to use wrestling in MMA better than anyone else.

Sure, I would take pedigree to mean what you accomplished in formal westling at the different levels, including Olympics, like Hendo's Silver medal. Randy Couture was Olympic alternate like 4 times. Thats a great pedigree.

Thats the formal "pedigree", which is not a technical word, just something used to describe fighters. But with GSP as the example, as the other poster said, he does train with the successful Canadian wrestling team members, some of whom had defected from the USSR and were very successful there. As a hint at the real state of his ability, without the pedigree, GSP was asked to wrestle for the Canadian Olympic team, or at least try out. I guess he declined.

I would think it would be hard to "go backward", and learn wrestling after knowing MMA[/quote']

great post, i think it was lindland who won the silver medal though. about gsp and the olympic wrestling you are right, it would be very difficult for him to learn formal wrestling since his wrestling is mma wrestling.

He was asked, but he had to choose between UFC (Professional Paid Fighter) and devoting his time to the Olympics (Amateur).

From my understanding professional athletes were not/are not allowed to compete in the olympic games. This has been suspended in the cases of Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey. I don't know if they've applied it to any other sports. Basically came down to the fact that GSP couldn't be a paid fighter, and due the olympics because of it.

GSP has no collegiate credentials but he has arguably the best MMA adapted wrestling in the game and walks through opponents with better pedigrees' date=' taking them down at will and easily controlling them. So when people rave about some titles that were won 10 years ago I say meh :P[/quote']

I agree with this but also you have to think about who GSP trains with. GSP trains with olympic wrestlers in Canada. They are the reason why he is so great at wrestling.

wrestling is def something every MMA fighter needs. look at past and present champs... most have had excellent wrestling credentials.

obviously if you were an Olympic wrestler it weighs more than being div I champ.

in Lesnar's case he was also named the best college heavyweight in 2000, 2x all-American and finished with a record of 106-5. Cain didnt have that kind of recognition.

Pedigrees don't always mean one guy is better than another, BUT usually they do. Like many of the people already said GSP is the expection. But he is the only one I can think of. There are really not that many other people who fight on a high level who can take down elite wrestlers.

With that said, MMA wrestling is much different than amature wrestling. You REALLY have to say in a ball with mma. If a good wrestler has been wrestling mma style a couple years longer than a much better wrestler I would take the mma wrestler hands down. Look at Hammil vs. Munoz. Munoz on a wrestling mat would be able to take him down almost at will (IMO) but, if he gets hit it changes thing.

Dv I wrestlers are better that Dv II and so on however thats wrestling not mma so in the case of carwin and lesner it kind of evens out as long as they have a strong wrestling base

and for everyone talkin about gsp he brought in olypmic wrestlers to train with and thats why hes so good at take downs that and he has a beautiful set up but hes one of the few ppl that is a phnemonal takedown artist with out being a wrestler as a base

Archived