How did Forrest Griffin go from being loved to hated so fast?

Rob_Lazarus

When Griffin won the light-heavyweight title I remember everyone I knew that watched UFC immediately jumping all over Forrest's nuts. The kid from TUF1 who had the legendary finale fight with Bonnar now winning the LWH title. Everybody was awed, and most immediately jumped on the bandwagon and claimed they were Griffin fans all along.

So now that he lost to an undefeated Rashad Evans and the #1 P4P fighter in the world he's a chump? I don't get it. How did he fall from greatness so fast?

Who hasn't been embarrassed by A. Silva? Basically everybody that fought him in the UFC has faced setbacks. Marquardt bounced back, Henderson bounced back, Franklin has sort of bounced back. Leites got bounced out of the UFC, but it's rare. Even James Irvin despite repeated injuries is still on the UFC roster.

So why is Griffin getting no respect? How is everyone so sure that after two losses he's so terrible? I think he'll give Tito a good fight.

That being said, they should not be headlining a PPV event. They better either get another fight for it or put it up on Spike. Otherwise Griffin and Tito's family and friends are going to the be the only ones buying it.

I agree completely, there's all this crazy unwarranted hate for Forrest at the moment, he was outclassed by one of the all time greats, not shame in that. People seem to hate that he ran out of the octagon afterwards, but I don't understand why that makes him such a bad guy.

I agree completely' date=' there's all this crazy unwarranted hate for Forrest at the moment, he was outclassed by one of the all time greats, not shame in that. People seem to hate that he ran out of the octagon afterwards, but I don't understand why that makes him such a bad guy.[/quote']

I guess him running out of the Octagon made him seem like a sore loser. Honestly though that was a pretty embarrassing defeat and Forrest is an emotional guy like we've seen before. I don't really blame him for running out. I know he wasn't trying disrespect Silva or anything by doing it.

one of the main reasons is because there is a lot of anderson silva haters in this forum...

Before forrest fought silva all those haters were posting non stop about how forrest was going to beat silva.. After forrest got own by anderson silva all those haters started posting about how griffin suck and how he did not deserve the title , etc etc ...

Its nonsense , I guess a lot of haters like to discredit griffin because of the way he lost to silva and by that i mean , a lot of haters in this forum try to discredit silva by saying that the UFC gave him an easy fight ( against griffin)

Funny thing is a lot of those haters tend to forget griffin holded the 205 belt , and he beat two of the top 5 LHW ( rampage jackson and the almighty shogun rua)...

Trust me if anderson silva never fought griffin , he will be getting a lot of respect and people will be jumping and saying that anderson is ducking griffin..

The loss to Jardine probaly hurt him worse than anything.

Agreed. I think what hurt him most about that fight was that he was probably winning until Jardine caught him. Then he went into his old school brawler mode and got devestated.

one of the main reasons is because there is a lot of anderson silva haters in this forum...

Before forrest fought silva all those haters were posting non stop about how forrest was going to beat silva.. After forrest got own by anderson silva all those haters started posting about how griffin suck and how he did not deserve the title ' date=' etc etc ...

Its nonsense , I guess a lot of haters like to discredit griffin because of the way he lost to silva and by that i mean , a lot of haters in this forum try to discredit silva by saying that the UFC gave him an easy fight ( against griffin)

Funny thing is a lot of those haters tend to forget griffin holded the 205 belt , and he beat two of the top 5 LHW ( rampage jackson and the almighty shogun rua)...

Trust me if anderson silva never fought griffin , he will be getting a lot of respect and people will be jumping and saying that anderson is ducking griffin..[/quote']

When somebody is as good as A. Silva and nobody can topple his reign there will always be haters.

I still got much love for forrest. Despite how he just walked out of the octogon. It was dissrespectfull but how many fighters have done disrespectfull things in the octogon.

I don't think it was meant as disrespect to Silva though. I think he was just severely disappointed in himself for putting on such a poor showing.

I thought the Forrest hate came after the Silva fight. Not because of the Silva fight. He did a few real **** interviews and made some pretty bad comments that lead to a lot of people losing respect for him. I know I did.

I honestly haven't seen a single interview from Forrest since that fight. I thought he just dropped off the face of the Earth. You got any links?

Forrest got the rep of a guy who could take a shot because of the Bonner fight.

Since Bonner has gone to knock out nobody people are starting to realize that Forrest has not got the chin they thought he had.

If Jardine didn;t prove it' date=' Silva did.[/quote']

+1. Good reply. This makes a lot of sense.

Agreed. I think what hurt him most about that fight was that he was probably winning until Jardine caught him. Then he went into his old school brawler mode and got devestated.

When somebody is as good as A. Silva and nobody can topple his reign there will always be haters.

I don't think it was meant as disrespect to Silva though. I think he was just severely disappointed in himself for putting on such a poor showing.

I honestly haven't seen a single interview from Forrest since that fight. I thought he just dropped off the face of the Earth. You got any links?

In one interview he said the reason he ran to the dressing room was because the interviewers mom was there waiting to give him a BJ. Don't have a link off hand but that's pretty low. I saw at least one otehr with him and he was pretty much a tool in it as well.

I've been a forrest hater since day one. Its not that I hate him personally as he seems like a great guy I just think hes a horrible fighter.

forrest griffin is a great fighter just because he doesnt win by knockout all the time hes automatically a bad fighter? not good enough for you?

well son theres only one way for you to find that out, but you dont have the ballz to do it.

Forrest can lick my medicine balls. His hype was all smoke n mirrors and people actually believed he was good.

Well he DID beat the current flavour of the month around here.. Shogun. He also happened to beat Rampage for the title.

Yup, seems like Forrest sucks REAL bad to me.

/end sarcasm

When Griffin won the light-heavyweight title I remember everyone I knew that watched UFC immediately jumping all over Forrest's nuts. The kid from TUF1 who had the legendary finale fight with Bonnar now winning the LWH title. Everybody was awed' date=' and most immediately jumped on the bandwagon and claimed they were Griffin fans all along.

So now that he lost to an undefeated Rashad Evans and the #1 P4P fighter in the world he's a chump? I don't get it. How did he fall from greatness so fast?

Who hasn't been embarrassed by A. Silva? Basically everybody that fought him in the UFC has faced setbacks. Marquardt bounced back, Henderson bounced back, Franklin has sort of bounced back. Leites got bounced out of the UFC, but it's rare. Even James Irvin despite repeated injuries is still on the UFC roster.

So why is Griffin getting no respect? How is everyone so sure that after two losses he's so terrible? I think he'll give Tito a good fight.

That being said, they should not be headlining a PPV event. They better either get another fight for it or put it up on Spike. Otherwise Griffin and Tito's family and friends are going to the be the only ones buying it.[/quote']

It's called bandwagon jumpers. They nuthug the flavour of the month till they lose then jump ship.

... That being said' date=' they should not be headlining a PPV event. They better either get another fight for it or put it up on Spike. Otherwise Griffin and Tito's family and friends are going to the be the only ones buying it.[/quote']

Them.. and real fans of this sport. It doesn't matter to me who's fighting. I will watch anything.

106 looks like a pretty decent card, anyways.

Yep your are correct he sucks really bad.

1. Bj Penn

2. Wanderlei Silva

3. Dan Henderson

4. Shogun Rua as of UFC 104

5. Nick Diaz

6. Nate The Great Marquadt

7. Randy Couture

8. Rashad Evans

9. Anthony Johnson

10. GSP

That's the best you could come up with? That's pretty lame.

You're a bandwagon jumper just like the majority of people. I love how you have Shogun listed on your favourites "as of UFC 104". That's pretty sad, man.

that's the best you could come up with? That's pretty lame.

You're a bandwagon jumper just like the majority of people. I love how you have shogun listed on your favourites "as of ufc 104". That's pretty sad' date=' man.[/quote']

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I'm a Griffin fan because I like the guy. I think he'd be cool to go have a beer with. He doesn't have the most talent, but he works hard and puts everything into it. Your favorite fighters don't have to be the best fighters. I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, and they have won for 17 years! I hope Griffin lumps up Tito and stays in the UFC for years to come.

first of all, he was never the greatness in my book. all he did was winning the TUF1..i know i know, his fight w/ Bonnar was awesum! i saw that fight like hundreds time but honestly he was not dat good and he is still not that good! ppl like him becasue he had a good fight w/ Bonnar, all the blood and never quit attitdue.

I personaly have never been a big Forrest fan. I find when he gets in over his head he turns into a wild brawler who throws looping punches with his head looking at his toes. I really don't care when he fights or if he wins or loses. I will say for a brawler he is always game to stand and trade but hey thats how guys get knocked out. I also think that he has to win against Tito as he has far more to prove, remember Tito has had a long absence and can fall back on the ring rust story at least once. > look at Mir <. Forrest has come off a bad loss and needs to prove he is still worth the $$. I will say this he does provide a comical aspect to MMA when he speaks. But I will build a list of guys that I do not figure he could beat at 205.

Machida

Shogun in a rematch

Rashad

Thiago

Lil Nog

Cane

Vera

Prehaps even Franklin

There are a few that would make for a close fight and Tito could very well be one > depends on the Tito we see< He hs a lot to prove and i think the next 2 fights he has will define his future in the UFC.

first of all' date=' he was never the greatness in my book. all he did was winning the TUF1..i know i know, his fight w/ Bonnar was awesum! i saw that fight like hundreds time but honestly he was not dat good and he is still not that good! ppl like him becasue he had a good fight w/ Bonnar, all the blood and never quit attitdue.[/quote']

People like him because he shows up to FIGHT!

The man wears his heart on his sleeve, and will give his all.. each and every time!

He took a beating from Tito in the first round of their first fight, and came back to ALMOST win (I think he should have won).

Shogun beat him up in the first round, but he came back and choked him out!

You HAVE to knock Forrest out to beat this guy!

Nobody ever said he was THAT good.. but he definitely makes it exciting!

Machida

Shogun in a rematch

Rashad

Thiago

Lil Nog

Cane

Vera

Prehaps even Franklin

Machida.. not bloody likely.

Shogun.. would love to see the rematch.

Rashad.. he was winning until he got too predictable.

Thiago.. would have rather he fought THAT Silva than the one he had to face.

Lil Nog.. interesting.

Cane.. good fight.

Vera.. another good fight.

Franklin.. FIGHT OF THE YEAR!

That's the best you could come up with? That's pretty lame.

You're a bandwagon jumper just like the majority of people. I love how you have Shogun listed on your favourites "as of UFC 104". That's pretty sad' date=' man.[/quote']

Anyone who knows me knows i voted Shogun to win the day the fight was announced. I chose him as a top 10 because he handle himself as a true warrior in the face of corruption,greed, and worst of all- in the face of an opponent he defeated in a rule set fight and would have killed in real mortal combat.

Im pure analysis.

Everything else is to make you cry and feel stupid but it doesnt take much to do that in your case.

Anyone who knows me knows i voted Shogun to win the day the fight was announced. I chose him as a top 10 because he handle himself as a true warrior in the face of corruption' date='greed, and worst of all- in the face of an opponent he defeated in a rule set fight and would have killed in real mortal combat.

Im pure analysis.

Everything else is to make you cry and feel stupid but it doesnt take much to do that in your case.[/quote']

LOL!! You'd never be able to make me feel stupid. I picked the correct winner in the Machida/Shogun fight.. looks like you sure didn't.

Just remember this.. Forrest > Shogun

Do you really think Forrest would beat Shogun in a rematch?? Wow thats a intresting prospective.

He is just defending his image and showing some things he did right so he doesnt feels stupid. Guy already lost his momentum and his IQ is leaking out per additional posts.

Forrest vs Shogun rematch would end poorly for redneck scrappy coco.

Well i dunno why so many people hate him because i still love the man .He said it himself thoose people that talk about him running out of the octogon obviously havent put so much into something and dedicate to it and then to get beat like that so i can understand i know how it feels so everyone will start liking him again when he (well IMO hes gonna) beats tito ortiz.

i still like forrest, always have and my opinion of him hasnt changed since his last loss. he never was a great fighter but he was/is a really likable guy. anyone whose opinion of him has changed just because of the way he lost to silva wasnt really a fan in the first place. its the same with the people on this site who went from machida fans to shogun fans overnight, you just do what is popular.

He is just defending his image and showing some things he did right so he doesnt feels stupid. Guy already lost his momentum and his IQ is leaking out per additional posts.

okay chemicals,your a ****ing *****.your just another weak **** keyboard warrior who boosts his ego talkin **** about fighters on the internet, and shogun lost btw,to forrest and machida would totally make him his B-I-T-C-H in the next fight. dont deny it, and dont whine about it.

When Griffin won the light-heavyweight title I remember everyone I knew that watched UFC immediately jumping all over Forrest's nuts. The kid from TUF1 who had the legendary finale fight with Bonnar now winning the LWH title. Everybody was awed' date=' and most immediately jumped on the bandwagon and claimed they were Griffin fans all along.

That being said, they should not be headlining a PPV event. They better either get another fight for it or put it up on Spike. Otherwise Griffin and Tito's family and friends are going to the be the only ones buying it.[/quote']

Running out of the cage crying, sitting against the cage crying, and blaming your loss on Qualudes removes about all respect I could give a fighter in pro-MMA. I was never a Griffin fan though. Thought he was always highly overrated, and this has certainly been proven. Sure he's fought some great fights, but he's mentally weak, and from a technical perspective, a very mediocre fighter.

I let the Jardine crying fiasco go, cause everyone deserves a second change. But the embarrassing KO to Silva, followed by the run sealed it for me. I was willing to give him middle-of-the-road status in LHW, but as far as I can tell, he's headed for an early retirement. Ortiz, as much as it pains me to say it, is gonna stomp Forrest. And I like Forrest much more than Ortiz, so that tells you something.

okay chemicals' date='your a ****ing *****.your just another weak **** keyboard warrior who boosts his ego talkin **** about fighters on the internet, and shogun lost btw,to forrest and machida would totally make him his B-I-T-C-H in the next fight. dont deny it, and dont whine about it.[/quote']

don't take what Chemy says seriously. He has a habit of making no sense, but Shogun and Forrest rematch would be a great fight.

also I still like forrest

okay chemicals' date='your a ****ing *****.your just another weak **** keyboard warrior who boosts his ego talkin **** about fighters on the internet, and shogun lost btw,to forrest and machida would totally make him his B-I-T-C-H in the next fight. dont deny it, and dont whine about it.[/quote']

You must not have heard about Machida's stitches, f*cked up hands and shattered ribs he's currently dealing with. You must also not have heard that Shogun had literally zero damage and was here in my hometown Sunday chatting it up for a promo. Machida, however, is still lying horizontally at home, covered in ice bags and getting back rubs from Anderson.

Come rematch, Machida is toast. I mean toast. Folks are gonna get a taste of the mean Shogun, and Machida will be exposed for the boring, overhyped, 9 decisions in 16 fights, pansy backpeddler that he is. Mark it down chump change.

You must not have heard about Machida's stitches' date=' f*cked up hands and shattered ribs he's currently dealing with. You must also not have heard that Shogun had literally zero damage and was here in my hometown Sunday chatting it up for a promo. Machida, however, is still lying horizontally at home, covered in ice bags and getting back rubs from Anderson.

Come rematch, Machida is toast. I mean toast. Folks are gonna get a taste of the mean Shogun, and Machida will be exposed for the boring, overhyped, 9 decisions in 16 fights, pansy backpeddler that he is. Mark it down chump change.[/quote']

hahaha we'll see buddy lets not turn this into a machida and shogun thread so you can defend your boyfriend

I still like Forrest. I expected him to get (T)KO'd by Silva, he did, he reacted emotionally which wasn't really surprising, and now he's coming back to fight again. He's still a great guy, funny as hell, puts it all out there every time he fights... so yeah, I still like him.

He got beat by 2 quality fighters. the thing I think people started to dislike was when Silva tried to help him up after he knocked him down he didnt get fired up. He just sat there in a daze. I think Forrest will win by Split Decision against Tito, but if he loses to Tito like he did to Silva, I think he'll drop completely out of the title hunt.

I cant believe some of you guys are still bringing up, sorry, crying about the Shogun loss and then slagging Machida for it. Face reality, Shogun lost. End of story.

Despite all the hate I still like Griffin. He may not be as talented as an Anderson or Maia, but the dude isnt scared of no one, will face anyone, and bring it in the fight. Hes also the funniest guy next to Rampage in the UFC.

I cant believe some of you guys are still bringing up' date=' sorry, crying about the Shogun loss and then slagging Machida for it. Face reality, Shogun lost. End of story.

Despite all the hate I still like Griffin. He may not be as talented as an Anderson or Maia, but the dude isnt scared of no one, will face anyone, and bring it in the fight. Hes also the funniest guy next to Rampage in the UFC.[/quote']

He was afraid of Anderson Silva enough to dose up on Ludes, to quash the impending pain. Straight from his own mouth.

You kicked it off new-schooler' date=' with ludicrous claims. We've already seen Shogun tool Machida.....next time, he gets a brain aneurism.[/quote']

I may see,your doin a good job tryin to sound intelligent on the internet, good job,but im not impressed by your performance,LMFAO yes I just said that :P

Them.. and real fans of this sport. It doesn't matter to me who's fighting. I will watch anything.

106 looks like a pretty decent card' date=' anyways.[/quote']

I can't afford to buy every PPV that comes out. I just don't feel like Griffin and Ortiz deserve a main event in a PPV either. I'd rather see Koscheck and Johnson get the main event spot.

Probably true. If you watch Shogun fight Griffin and then watch him fight Machida there is no comparison. It's a completely different fighter in the cage. He would most likely tear Griffin up now. Although I'd like to see how Griffin does against Ortiz first.

I may see' date='your doin a good job tryin to sound intelligent on the internet, good job,but im not impressed by your performance,LMFAO yes I just said that :P[/quote']

Hahaha. That's your opinion, and it stinks.

Archived