Reality Check

Exodus9mm

I initially posted this thread in another one as a response. After re-reading, I've realized it's educational importance for the UFC fanboys, as they're about to get a reality check.

Something written with this kind of truth and insight certainly deserves its own thread.

*cue Barry Horowitz self back-pat*

This Saturday, when Fedor and Co. get over 10 million views, it will signify the beginning of the end for the UFC folks - sorry to break it to you (again). Your fanboy love for Dana was misguided - while he was focusing on drama-queen nonsense, real fans and promoters like Coker were setting up a behemoth of a card to show for FREE on National Television. When advertisers see the viewership come Saturday, look out. Whole new world for MMA, and UFC won't be at the forefront. The money options that SF will have after this card, will enable them to pick fighters right outta the UFC - starting with Hendo. Guaranteed after he watches Mousasi fight in person, he's gonna want a piece. Next year, we'll see Rampage follow suit, and so on and so on.

It amazes me the amount of UFC fans who ACTUALLY believe that the UFC is the pinnacle of MMA and will be so for, eternity. There's obviously not many fans with good business knowledge on here.

Please remember that it's been only within the last 3-4 years that the UFC has acquired the majority of top caliber fighters - and as we've seen, they're not sticking around anymore. Dana was so dumb, he didn't even know who Marius Zaromskis is. Had he known, he'd of made damn sure he got him in the UFC as a new legitimate challenge to GSP. How in the hell does Dana let a guy like Zaromskis go to Strikeforce? Hilarious. Bad business decisions all round folks, by your bald icon.

The last month has been TERRIBLE for the UFC - compounded by the upcoming SF card, the controversial Machida win, and sissy Lesnar postponing the most anticipated fight of 2009 due to a cough. Its not looking good fanboys. PPV buys are WAY down, and it's nothing but soap opera drama in the UFC. TUF looks weak at best, and there isn't a single HW in the show that will pose any legitimate competition to the current beasts. Wes Simms. Laughable.

I called it hosers, and it will happen. I'm a marketing and trends genius, and I tell you in 3-4 years, UFC will be a shell of it's former self. If nothing else, I see Zuffa selling it to ESPN or another network, because they simply can't make the grade.

Network television and advertising dollars folks. It's the proven method. You find it interesting that NFL players make 10 million a season, and oddly enough, you get to watch them for free from the comfort of your living room every Sunday.

Anyone who is a fan of the sport, and not a brainwashed hillbilly who for some reason, loves the PROMOTIONAL company (posers) more than the fighters, realizes that if MMA wants to become a legitimate, professional sport, than it needs to go National. If however, you enjoy paying thousands of your hard earned dollars to watch Cecil Peoples make decisions out of his ****, be my guest.

Last question - would you rather shell out the money to watch an event, or have mainstream advertisers pay for it so you don't have to? Simple enough I think.

Smarten up folks, get with the times. The days of the UFC hype train are slowly coming to an end, it's out of steam, and a new brighter future for MMA is about to ignite. I know there are thousands of you who have modelled a lifestyle and image out of tacky Tapout and Deathclutch gear, whilst simultaneously believing that Brock Lesnar actually invented the UFC. It's a scary reality for you to take in right now. It goes against everything you've ever believed in (which can be broken down to Punk'd and The O.C.) Take this as a friendly piece of knowledge, to prepare you for your inevitable mental collapse, as you watch UFC fade into obscurity. I'm the Nostradamus of MMA, hosers. Mark it down.

Recognize that I've paid for 53 UFC PPVs, seen them all since day one, and speak obviously from an un-biased standpoint.

Discuss.

You make some good points. Everyone thinks the UFC is be all end all of MMA. Although Strikeforce does have a stacked card on free T.V. the fact is that they don't have enough top end talent to consistently put on cards like this. I doubt we are going to see many fighters leave the UFC for Strikeforce and other companies. The UFC has the best fighters which is of course quite obvious but I don't think the odd fighter leaving (like a washed up Hendo) is going to hurt them much. They have a number of young prospects with enormous potential.

Normally i can agree with your posts because lets face it..Fedor is king. Here is what I think though. The only reason Strikeforce will get 10 million views is because Fedor is fighting and its free on CBS. There is also a Strikeforce: Challengers the night before UFC 105...I dont see that event even coming close to this saturday. Why? because Fedor isnt fighting that card and its on Sho Time. I think if strikeforce wants to take over as Top Notch MMA then Fedor needs to fight every single card. Granted us true fans would be excited to see a card with Shields or Mousasi and what not. But these UFC Fanboys arent going to know who they are. Everyone knows who Fedor is which is why Saturday will be a huge draw for Strikeforce. But how long will Fedor stay in Strikeforce...there isnt really any competition for him there. I dont know I just cant see the UFC going under anytime soon. They get more PPV draws than the WWE. They might lose great fighters in free agency but then there are fighters that climb through the ranks and become great fighters. I just dont see it. Intresting post though.

Haha I love it. It's about time people (mod edit) that is known as the UFC. Of course I watch it but the way things have been going I see other organizations paving their way to be better. And yes, even though Strikefarce can't put on these top level card often, but it most certainly will help.

Plus a little friendly competition never hurt.

You make some good points. Everyone thinks the UFC is be all end all of MMA. Although Strikeforce does have a stacked card on free T.V. the fact is that they don't have enough top end talent to consistently put on cards like this. I doubt we are going to see many fighters leave the UFC for Strikeforce and other companies. The UFC has the best fighters which is of course quite obvious but I don't think the odd fighter leaving (like a washed up Hendo) is going to hurt them much. They have a number of young prospects with enormous potential.

Whoa whoa whoa. Washed up Hendo? I'm not even gonna touch that one.

That aside - money talks, and if they're fiscally able to pay these fighters SIGNIFICANTLY more than the current UFC pay scale, you can bet your **** they'll be heading over when their 3 fight contract is up. Strikeforce EASILY has enough of a solid base of top caliber competition to peak the interest of seasoned vets, and up and comers - and if they can fight competitively and get paid significantly more, which route are you going to go? Keep in mind, that Strikeforce gaining fiscal superiority is dependent on this Saturday's card. Advertising dollars and a pure Network deal would dismantle the greed of the promoter and allow these guys to make some solid money. If this card succeeds as I suspect, and Hendo signs, it's the beginning of the end.

Haha I love it. It's about time people stop sucking the sack that is known as the UFC. Of course I watch it but the way things have been going I see other organizations paving their way to be better. And yes' date=' even though Strikefarce can't put on these top level card often, but it most certainly will help.

Plus a little friendly competition never hurt.[/quote']

I don't like watching UFC, Strikeforce, Dream, K-1.....I like watching Fedor, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Mousasi, Penn, GSP, Wandy, Shogun, Manhoef, Bojansky, Por Pramuk, Zambidis, Aoki, Alvarez, Hansen (insert 250 more incredible fighters and you get the point).

I couldn't give it a second thought as to what promotion is showcasing it. All I see are fighter names. What angers me most, is that it is the fans who lose when we see the egos and greedy nature of promoters who won't co-promote. All I want to see is the best fight the best, and regardless of the symantecs, if it doesn't happen because of PROMOTER bullsh*t, it's god damn criminal.

Yup, the last month has been hell to the UFC. Rampage retires and blows TUF up, Lesnar gets sick, Machida defends with

a shady decision, Silva and GSP are injured and can't step up.

To top it, SF throws a card that has the potential to be one of the best, ever. Fedor, Mousasi, Werdum, Shields... Scary. And it's free. Man.

But saying that it is "the beginning of the end" is rushing it a little. SF has NO chance of throwing another scary card for at least 4-6 months, it seems they are putting everything they've got in this one card.

I have no illusions about the UFC. Pride had them all, and still gone under. It will happen eventually, it's just a matter of time. But from my standpoint, this card has the potential to completely kill SF (not obvious though, if they can hook enough PPV buyers to recover from this card) and let's face it, the casual fan will have a look at it because it's free, but will still buy the UFC PPV's nonetheless.

On the Hendo case, the analysis is totally different. Please understand that nothing has been announced as of yet, and I hate jumping to conclusions. But if Dana doesn't come to his senses, and doesn't give Hendo what he's asking, he's establishing a dangerous precedent... It might come back to bite his **** when he's not expecting. And if Hendo signs for SF and succeeds, there will be some upper card fighters thinking about it too.

Normally i can agree with your posts because lets face it..Fedor is king. Here is what I think though. The only reason Strikeforce will get 10 million views is because Fedor is fighting and its free on CBS. There is also a Strikeforce: Challengers the night before UFC 105...I dont see that event even coming close to this saturday. Why? because Fedor isnt fighting that card and its on Sho Time. I think if strikeforce wants to take over as Top Notch MMA then Fedor needs to fight every single card. Granted us true fans would be excited to see a card with Shields or Mousasi and what not. But these UFC Fanboys arent going to know who they are. Everyone knows who Fedor is which is why Saturday will be a huge draw for Strikeforce. But how long will Fedor stay in Strikeforce...there isnt really any competition for him there. I dont know I just cant see the UFC going under anytime soon. They get more PPV draws than the WWE. They might lose great fighters in free agency but then there are fighters that climb through the ranks and become great fighters. I just dont see it. Intresting post though.

I certainly don't think Fedor would need to fight on every card. Although if they maintain 3-4 huge cards a year, it's not unreasonable to think he couldn't. Wait till the world sees Gegard. He's mini-Fedor. The second coming I predict.

This isn't gonna happen overnight - it'll take a few years to see a transition from the PPV madness to a much more lucrative setup through network television. Strikeforce isn't going to have 10 cards a year, they simply don't have the roster to support it. Their success will attract more disgruntled UFC fighters (and there are a good chuck of em), and it will be a gradual progression until they hit a point where they can have one a month. Difference being, they will be free on television and paid for by advertising dollars. That's a couple of thousand dollars you can hang onto, instead of going to some donkey named Dana.

This is the future of MMA folks, it's inevitable. As a legitimate sport, it needs to go this way. Unless you folks are supportive of it being a costly, unpredictable spectacle of no rankings, meaningless fights, etc.

Don't forget that only a few weeks ago, the UFC were openly looking for a significant, but silent funding partner for their operations. That's generally not a good sign.....

Exodus' date=' you talk like the UFC is not ever going to get a network deal... ;)[/quote']

They won't. If seen how Dana talks and conducts business. His over-the-top, brash and foul mouthed mentality won't get him anywhere with the brass at these stations. He's already burned bridges with many significant players. His indiscretion to air his personal opinions and dirty laundry will keep many of the big cats at bay. The UFC needs a more respectable, business saavy frontman. Dana had his day and did a great job in bringing up the sport. But he did it in a timeframe, when he could act and carry on like this and still succeed. Why? Because PPV dollars allowed him to. Now with the looming prospects of a free televised world of MMA, this just can't cut it. It's why he's not able to pay Hendo what he wants. Dana White is the sole reason a network television deal hasn't been done (as he stated would be), nor ever will be. Dana White lacks to saavy and tact required to sleep in bed with network television.

I don't like watching UFC' date=' Strikeforce, Dream, K-1.....I like watching Fedor, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Mousasi, Penn, GSP, Wandy, Shogun, Manhoef, Bojansky, Por Pramuk, Zambidis, Aoki, Alvarez, Hansen (insert 250 more incredible fighters and you get the point).

I couldn't give it a second thought as to what promotion is showcasing it. All I see are fighter names. What angers me most, is that it is the fans who lose when we see the egos and greedy nature of promoters who won't co-promote. All I want to see is the best fight the best, and regardless of the symantecs, if it doesn't happen because of PROMOTER bullsh*t, it's god damn criminal.[/quote']

This ^^.

Best post post I've read on this forum. It's a sport that should be about the fans getting the fights we'd like to see. I hate all the corruption that promoters and power hungry business owners use to manipulate the sport. Why can't we just watch the matchups that we all want to see. At the end of the day they're all fighters and we get robbed for not seeing the best simply fight the best. Forgot whose company they're signed under and just let them fight.

We just can't win.

I've mentioned in previous thread, I love the competition. I want Strikeforce to be HUGE! It only means good things for us, the fans. Strikeforce will make the UFC improve and strikeforce will then have to do the same. I order every ppv, I don't mind the $45 because I get a houseful of friends over to watch and it's a good party. However, if I could watch my fights for free, and have the talent improve, and all the benefits that come from the added competition, I say bring it on. Sorry Dana, nothing personal.

Oh, the silent partner comment.

Well of course he's gonna spin it Brew, what else would he say? The President of a company is not going to admit something like that, especially given the numerous instances of bad publicity lately. I wouldn't expect anything less from anyone running a company. It's bad business to show fiscal weakness on any level, and however it slip, I'm pretty sure it held some water.

Regardless of whether or not it's 100% factual, it's not a major part of my view. It's merely a small piece of the larger puzzle.

Don't get me wrong Brew. I've been a UFC diehard forever man, and I would have loved nothing more than to see MMA transition into a professional sports league under the banner of UFC. Over the course of the last two years, I've seen nothing to support this happening from them, and in fact, things appear to be going in an opposite direction. Conversely, I've seen Coker making a valiant attempt at getting this premise underway, so I've gotta vocalize my support.

My MMA wetdream would be to see a merger of UFC, Strikeforce, Dream, Bellator, WEC under one umbrella (call it UFC if you wish, don't care about names). If they all sat down, ironed it out, and approached the networks, EVERYONE is getting paid - MUCH more than they do now! Unfortunately, as noted it's a wetdream, because blind ego driven bigwigs lose sight of a much bigger potential - for the sport, and the pocketbook.

I initially posted this thread in another one as a response. After re-reading' date=' I've realized it's educational importance for the UFC fanboys, as they're about to get a reality check.

Something written with this kind of truth and insight certainly deserves its own thread.

This Saturday, when Fedor and Co. get over 10 million views, it will signify the beginning of the end for the UFC folks - sorry to break it to you (again). Your fanboy love for Dana was misguided - while he was focusing on drama-queen nonsense, real fans and promoters like Coker were setting up a behemoth of a card to show for FREE on National Television. When advertisers see the viewership come Saturday, look out. Whole new world for MMA, and UFC won't be at the forefront. The money options that SF will have after this card, will enable them to pick fighters right outta the UFC - starting with Hendo. Guaranteed after he watches Mousasi fight in person, he's gonna want a piece. Next year, we'll see Rampage follow suit, and so on and so on.

It amazes me the amount of UFC fans who ACTUALLY believe that the UFC is the pinnacle of MMA and will be so for, eternity. There's obviously not many fans with good business knowledge on here.

Please remember that it's been only within the last 3-4 years that the UFC has acquired the majority of top caliber fighters - and as we've seen, they're not sticking around anymore. Dana was so dumb, he didn't even know who Marius Zaromskis is. Had he known, he'd of made damn sure he got him in the UFC as a new legitimate challenge to GSP. How in the hell does Dana let a guy like Zaromskis go to Strikeforce? Hilarious. Bad business decisions all round folks, by your bald icon.

The last month has been TERRIBLE for the UFC - compounded by the upcoming SF card, the controversial Machida win, and sissy Lesnar postponing the most anticipated fight of 2009 due to a cough. Its not looking good fanboys. PPV buys are WAY down, and it's nothing but soap opera drama in the UFC. TUF looks weak at best, and there isn't a single HW in the show that will pose any legitimate competition to the current beasts. Wes Simms. Laughable.

I called it hosers, and it will happen. I'm a marketing and trends genius, and I tell you in 3-4 years, UFC will be a shell of it's former self. If nothing else, I see Zuffa selling it to ESPN or another network, because they simply can't make the grade.

Network television and advertising dollars folks. It's the proven method. You find it interesting that NFL players make 10 million a season, and oddly enough, you get to watch them for free from the comfort of your living room every Sunday.

Anyone who is a fan of the sport, and not a brainwashed hillbilly who for some reason, loves the PROMOTIONAL company (posers) more than the fighters, realizes that if MMA wants to become a legitimate, professional sport, than it needs to go National. If however, you enjoy paying thousands of your hard earned dollars to watch Cecil Peoples make decisions out of his ****, be my guest.

Last question - would you rather shell out the money to watch an event, or have mainstream advertisers pay for it so you don't have to? Simple enough I think.

Smarten up folks, get with the times. The days of the UFC hype train are slowly coming to an end, it's out of steam, and a new brighter future for MMA is about to ignite. I know there are thousands of you who have modelled a lifestyle and image out of tacky Tapout and Deathclutch gear, whilst simultaneously believing that Brock Lesnar actually invented the UFC. It's a scary reality for you to take in right now. It goes against everything you've ever believed in (which can be broken down to Punk'd and The O.C.) Take this as a friendly piece of knowledge, to prepare you for your inevitable mental collapse, as you watch UFC fade into obscurity. I'm the Nostradamus of MMA, hosers. Mark it down.

Recognize that I've paid for 53 UFC PPVs, seen them all since day one, and speak obviously from an un-biased standpoint.

Discuss.[/quote']

Ok, I read it. Ask a hundred people if they have heard of UFC or SF! I really don't care, I just want to see good fights! you told me to read this as you would prove something, but you still come across as a no-it-all who for some reason is angry. While I agree that there might be competiton coming for the UFC, SF is brought to you by some of those who have failed miserably in the past by relying on gimmicks. Sell the fights not the ideas. Fedor would be welcome on my television anytime. Too bad I havn't seen a single commercial for it. Not really reaching an audience are they? Stop being so darn angry and know-it-allish. Nobody's perfect, man! P.S. This helped but didn't change my opinion one bit. Now go shoot someone! Explain string theory while your at it all knowing one. Jeez!

I don't like watching UFC' date=' Strikeforce, Dream, K-1.....I like watching Fedor, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Mousasi, Penn, GSP, Wandy, Shogun, Manhoef, Bojansky, Por Pramuk, Zambidis, Aoki, Alvarez, Hansen (insert 250 more incredible fighters and you get the point).

I couldn't give it a second thought as to what promotion is showcasing it. All I see are fighter names. What angers me most, is that it is the fans who lose when we see the egos and greedy nature of promoters who won't co-promote. All I want to see is the best fight the best, and regardless of the symantecs, if it doesn't happen because of PROMOTER bullsh*t, it's god damn criminal.[/quote']

Well put. And pretty much everything else you've put. Please excuse the nut hugging, I just really agree with you and there is no other way to put that than... well, that.

To match the 'quotes from other threads' hickory-doo, here's one of my own:

Just finished watching a highlight reel. Guy's good.

It really sucks that fighters have to stick with their league. Dream/Strikeforce & UFC/WEC working together is a start; if only a union could flourish. Nothing that dictates pay mind you, make what you can, just an "anybody can fight anybody" clause and one freaking world title. Wishful thinking but I don't want to see the sport become something like boxing.

That was from another one about Strikeforce, the first I believe on the Zaromskis signing - the good guy mentioned.

So where is the fighter's union anyway? Is everyone equally scared of getting Hoffa'd? You would think MMA fighters of all people in the sports world who show much class & dignity would have something to call their own.

Ok' date=' I read it. Ask a hundred people if they have heard of UFC or SF! I really don't care, I just want to see good fights! you told me to read this as you would prove something, but you still come across as a no-it-all who for some reason is angry. While I agree that there might be competiton coming for the UFC, SF is brought to you by some of those who have failed miserably in the past by relying on gimmicks. Sell the fights not the ideas. Fedor would be welcome on my television anytime. Too bad I havn't seen a single commercial for it. Not really reaching an audience are they? Stop being so darn angry and know-it-allish. Nobody's perfect, man! P.S. This helped but didn't change my opinion one bit. Now go shoot someone! Explain string theory while your at it all knowing one. Jeez![/quote']

Ah, Quantum Physics. We could delve into it a bit. That particle accelerator in Europe was designed with a function to prove/disprove many of the concepts of String Theory. It's some mind blowing stuff let me tell you. I read an entire book on String Theory, and to this day, am trying to wrap my head around some of the finer details.

I just forwarded you to my post cause you sounded like you needed a change. Naw, I'm no angry - it's one of my writing styles. The ****y, knowitall that makes extremely valid points and backs them up with words like hoser, and sissies. It's one of the many ways that I roll. Love it or leave it, I say what's on my mind.

God, I hope it doesn't go that way! MMA will be like boxing. 10 fighters, 10 promoters and 10 networks. I agree! No wide ranging angry statements just a fan who wants to see some competition. Just let them fight. Poor exodus gunman is too angry and informed, huh?

i havnt been a fight fan for very long but i stared watching since the randy beat chuck that got me into mma. i have watched every ufc and fight night since even some pride. though latly i have been watching some very old pride and i have to say ufc is nothing any more out of the last 30 ppv there have been how many have been great, or even worth rembering?

i love this sport and every thing the ufc/dana have done for it is incredible. dont get me rong i am not a smart man but i think dana is going to end up being the death of the ufc and its going to take a smart man to get it back on its feet. i hate the idea that a big thing like the ufc can be done in by a ****y loud mouth.

and as far as dan goes i dont think it matters cause were ever he goes he will do well, now ranpage i dont know wtf is going on. i just hope dana and the ufc get every thing sort out soon cause i will miss the ufc if they go belly up (i dont think it will any time soon though)

i know there are a lot of spelling errors in this sorry i cant get the spell check to work and i need to sleep.

Well put. And pretty much everything else you've put. Please excuse the nut hugging' date=' I just really agree with you and there is no other way to put that than... well, that.

To match the 'quotes from other threads' hickory-doo, here's one of my own:

[i']Just finished watching a highlight reel. Guy's good.

It really sucks that fighters have to stick with their league. Dream/Strikeforce & UFC/WEC working together is a start; if only a union could flourish. Nothing that dictates pay mind you, make what you can, just an "anybody can fight anybody" clause and one freaking world title. Wishful thinking but I don't want to see the sport become something like boxing.[/i]

That was from another one about Strikeforce, the first I believe on the Zaromskis signing - the good guy mentioned.

So where is the fighter's union anyway? Is everyone equally scared of getting Hoffa'd? You would think MMA fighters of all people in the sports world who show much class & dignity would have something to call their own.

Thanks for the support. I like to come off brash and in your face with a touch of insight. I'm sure many people want to kill me. lol

I don't think the sport needs a union of any sort - it shouldn't have to. It's beyond being some backwoods small spectacle. The moneys generated are not a secret, and people know what they should be being paid. It might be a neccessity, who knows. The sport isn't obviously on a level comparable to NFL or MLB, but these guys are still quite underpaid in my opinion. Al-Hassan got 3,000 dollars for his fight at 104. If you're fighting in the supposed pinnacle league of MMA, and getting paid 3,000, there's something wrong. I know donkeys who sort mail that make more than that in two weeks.

God' date=' I hope it doesn't go that way! MMA will be like boxing. 10 fighters, 10 promoters and 10 networks. I agree! No wide ranging angry statements just a fan who wants to see some competition. Just let them fight. Poor exodus gunman is too angry and informed, huh?[/quote']

I've got close to 20 years of MMA fandom in my blood. Sometimes, it boils, and I must vent.

Ok' date=' I read it. Ask a hundred people if they have heard of UFC or SF! I really don't care, I just want to see good fights! you told me to read this as you would prove something, but you still come across as a no-it-all who for some reason is angry. While I agree that there might be competiton coming for the UFC, SF is brought to you by some of those who have failed miserably in the past by relying on gimmicks. Sell the fights not the ideas. Fedor would be welcome on my television anytime. Too bad I havn't seen a single commercial for it. Not really reaching an audience are they? Stop being so darn angry and know-it-allish. Nobody's perfect, man! P.S. This helped but didn't change my opinion one bit. Now go shoot someone! Explain string theory while your at it all knowing one. Jeez![/quote']

I gotta agree with sense here. Exodus...honestly it just sounds like a bit of propaganda really. Real fans dont care if its free or its PPV, we will watch it either way. I would pay for the Strikeforce card, fine by me, have no care if its free as long as I can watch it.

UFC is not going anywhere. The UFC cards have not all of a sudden started sucking. It was only 3 UFC's ago I thought Id seen one of the best night of fights ever. As a fan Im as hungry as ever to see the UFC headliners not to mentions dozens of other fights currently scheduled. Who cares if Hendo leaves? If he isnt trying to fight Anderson again he's crazy or scared. Its not because all the fighters hate UFC and/or Dana White.

Dude until the networks realize what an opportunity they have with MMA we have to PPV most of the fights we want to see. Until the sport gains enough fans the networks wont notice. UFC has mostly done right with its fans so just chill on the titanic talk bro.

I initially posted this thread in another one as a response. After re-reading' date=' I've realized it's educational importance for the UFC fanboys, as they're about to get a reality check.

Discuss.[/quote']

Wow a lot going on here...i think for a while there the UFC was on the right track to being the end-all be-all of MMA...this past year there has been many problems not all the UFCs fault i.e. horrible judging & questionable reffing. Some of it has been their fault, allowing a "Diva" Champion to call the shots and single handedly destroy a division as well as force out a Legend in Dan Henderson who deserved better treatment by far. Also it's flagship program which brought MMA not just the UFC but the entire sport into the limelight, The Ultimate Fighter is dragging horribly. A huge blow with all the hype it garnered with the HWs and their ability to stop fights, as well as the idea of Rampage and Rashad getting into the ring, and we have all seen that soap opera and how it has unfolded to this point in time...

The biggest problem I see with this assumption would be that the fighters on this roster for Strikeforce don't actually draw a large fanbase. Fedor may be a big name for MMA die hards like myself and the people reading this forum, but he is no where near a house hold name in America. No one who casually turns on a fight they happen to see come on CBS is gonna know who these guys are. Yes, they may appreciate the fights, but the majority of the large demographics are not going to be tuning in based on foreknowledge of any of these fighters. It may do well, but I'd honestly be surprised it does anywhere near as good as you believe it is going to.

Also you fail to understand that the majority of people who have heard of but do not regularly watch or understand Mixed martial arts believe that it is directly synonymous with the UFC. They literally believe they are one and the same. That comes from marketing strategies.

Also as far as Dana White is concerned, he is a huge asset to the company in that he is a charismatic figure who makes himself be heard by the media. Do you understand the principle that there is no such thing as bad press? we are still in the stage of getting Mixed martial arts out to the masses. He has done more for the sport in that regard than anyone else in North America.

I am not a fan boy, but I am someone who can appreciate marketing strategies for what they are and accomplish. Seems like a "marketing genius" would be able to as well.

this is a very smart idea with only one thing wrong IMO!! not enough people no about strikeforce. not enough people no about fedor. many people no them but most of them are pretty familiar with mma (if not hardcore fans) which arent exactly strong in numbers yet. most fans arent even mma fans. they are UFC UNLEASHED fans.

there could be another small problem because they are expending all of thy're well known fighters to the common fan.

please read and argue my point to educate me if im missing something. mma is my new life.

i do agree that it would be nice to see all fighters have the option to simply fight anyone from any promotion and i dont really care about what name it has.........but the rest i disagree with. the ufc isnt going to fall. how can you be a genius and fail to see that the ufc is a company that is growing ten fold annually? doesnt seem like failure in any sense. SF can put on all the free cards in the world but the bottum line is the hardcore mma fan that we all are (face it we have an account on an mma website) only makes up a small amount of the mma profits. the casual fans are the mass bulk that promotions clean up on. and like it or not most people think that mma is the ufc and nothing more. ask a few random people you work with if they've heard of the ufc, anderson silva, and chuck liddel........most will say "yes". then ask if they've heard of strikeforce, fedor,mousasi, and shields.......i promise you most will have no clue who they are. the ufc and thier headline fighters are not far from being household names but strikeforce is far from it.

and btw, why is it such a disgrace to be a fan of the ufc? does that make somone a d-bag? is it just the whole, its cool to dislike anything mainstream concept? the ufc has made mma what it is today and they have alot of great talent. i like them and im glad they are around. obviously you and everyone else here are "fanboys" because we all buy the ppv's and log onto thier website.

btw, when people are making fun of stereotypical canadians....they say hoser constantly. i had no idea it was such a commonly used word for you guys in reality.

Discuss.[/quote']

All hail the marketing genius who is behind those who brought us MMA dancers and WWE crap. Dana hasn't sold out because he refuses to be embarrased like the others. The press knows less than Mr. gunman? ALL HAIL the ultimate troll!

The biggest problem I see with this assumption would be that the fighters on this roster for Strikeforce don't actually draw a large fanbase. Fedor may be a big name for MMA die hards like myself and the people reading this forum' date=' but he is no where near a house hold name in America. No one who casually turns on a fight they happen to see come on CBS is gonna know who these guys are. Yes, they may appreciate the fights, but the majority of the large demographics are not going to be tuning in based on foreknowledge of any of these fighters. It may do well, but I'd honestly be surprised it does anywhere near as good as you believe it is going to.

Also you fail to understand that the majority of people who have heard of but do not regularly watch or understand Mixed martial arts believe that it is directly synonymous with the UFC. They literally believe they are one and the same. That comes from marketing strategies.

Also as far as Dana White is concerned, he is a huge asset to the company in that he is a charismatic figure who makes himself be heard by the media. Do you understand the principle that there is no such thing as bad press? we are still in the stage of getting Mixed martial arts out to the masses. He has done more for the sport in that regard than anyone else in North America.

I am not a fan boy, but I am someone who can appreciate marketing strategies for what they are and accomplish. Seems like a "marketing genius" would be able to as well.[/quote']

Dana, is that you? A first poster with clarity and intelligent opinion? Scarce. You make some good valid points for sure. I respectfully disagree with the disproven cliche of "no such thing as bad press". I would say your assumption that most casual fans equate MMA synonymously with UFC is accurate, but only in North America. There are MILLIONS of educated Japanese, Russian, Brazilian, etc. fans who are well aware of who Fedor is. I'm not sure if this fight card will be syndicated through CBS to foreign affiliates or not. I would hope that it is, and would tend to assume so, but I'm not positive. This larger chain of network affiliates and syndication creates a substantially larger potential viewership than anything in the US. Again, this broad spectrum of global syndication provides a backdrop for serious money to one of the networks.

I'm very aware of the strategies employed by the UFC and all though from a short term perspective, are impressive, show me no signs of bolstering a streamlined, legitimized global MMA front.

Good rebuttle though, and it's nice to see somebody who can look passed my intended trolling sarcasm and find the validity I attempt to show.

this is a very smart idea with only one thing wrong IMO!! not enough people no about strikeforce. not enough people no about fedor. many people no them but most of them are pretty familiar with mma (if not hardcore fans) which arent exactly strong in numbers yet. most fans arent even mma fans. they are UFC UNLEASHED fans.

there could be another small problem because they are expending all of thy're well known fighters to the common fan.

please read and argue my point to educate me if im missing something. mma is my new life.

You're speaking of Fedor and his popularity from a North American perspective. Sure, he's not as well known here, but in Russia, the man is a god. In Japan, the man is a god. We're talking about large fanbase here. If this SF card is syndicated globally, it will accomplish everything I forsee. However, if it is limited to North America, then as Danzig noted, won't do anywhere near what I think.

Thanks for the support. I like to come off brash and in your face with a touch of insight. I'm sure many people want to kill me. lol

I don't think the sport needs a union of any sort - it shouldn't have to. It's beyond being some backwoods small spectacle. The moneys generated are not a secret' date=' and people know what they should be being paid. It might be a neccessity, who knows. The sport isn't obviously on a level comparable to NFL or MLB, but these guys are still quite underpaid in my opinion. Al-Hassan got 3,000 dollars for his fight at 104. If you're fighting in the supposed pinnacle league of MMA, and getting paid 3,000, there's something wrong. I know donkeys who sort mail that make more than that in two weeks.[/quote']

Hey people wanna kill me too brother! I'm always poking 'em illegally :D

A union that says 'everybody fights everybody' wouldn't be a bad thing, and it sure wouldn't reduce the crowd. If anything more fans might turn on to MMA because of it. Nothing would be more awesome, more complete, more ultimate than today's equivalent of The Tournament those crazy Gracies organized oh so many years ago - of course, that was setup to see who had the best style and I'm not talking tournaments here but you know what I'm getting at; who is the best. Apply the union, the greatest fighter is the greatest fighter. No excuses. No bs. Just world recognized honor & glory baby!

Hey people wanna kill me too brother! I'm always poking 'em illegally :D

A union that says 'everybody fights everybody' wouldn't be a bad thing' date=' and it sure wouldn't reduce the crowd. If anything more fans might turn on to MMA because of it. Nothing would be more awesome, more complete, more ultimate than today's equivalent of The Tournament those crazy Gracies organized oh so many years ago - of course, that was setup to see who had the best style and I'm not talking tournaments here but you know what I'm getting at; who is the best. Apply the union, the greatest fighter is the greatest fighter. No excuses. No bs. Just world recognized honor & glory baby![/quote']

It's certainly not a bad idea. I envision 1 unified MMA global body, with 1 set of belts. Nothing else is recognized - there will not be the creation of new MMA entities that create their own belts (making an analogy to boxing here). This, is the key point that MMA must never allow itself to land in. If it does, like boxing, will illegitimize itself.

You have to ask yourself - are you a fan of this because of the sport, or the spectacle? If you enjoy the spectacle, well the UFC is about as good as it's going to get. If you respect the sport and want to see the very pinnacle of its athletic capacity, then you've gotta be looking proactively in a much more streamlined way, with as much effort as possible on drawing in the masses. North American PPVS are stagnant, and plateau.

I hear all the time many MMA fans proclaiming that it can never be like boxing. News flash, it is like boxing. You're seeing more and more promotions pop up, with their own belts, and their own agendas. PPVS, boxing. It's an identical setup, with outwardly different appearances - identical none the less. Throw in the 10 point must system, and things start looking even more gruesome.

I want to see MMA taken to a respected legitimate sport, not kept stagnant on a multi-platform PPV sheme that a small few get rich from. My 74 cents.

It's certainly not a bad idea. I envision 1 unified MMA global body' date=' with 1 set of belts. Nothing else is recognized - there will not be the creation of new MMA entities that create their own belts (making an analogy to boxing here). This, is the key point that MMA must never allow itself to land in. If it does, like boxing, will illegitimize itself.

You have to ask yourself - are you a fan of this because of the sport, or the spectacle? If you enjoy the spectacle, well the UFC is about as good as it's going to get. If you respect the sport and want to see the very pinnacle of its athletic capacity, then you've gotta be looking proactively in a much more streamlined way, with as much effort as possible on drawing in the masses. North American PPVS are stagnant, and plateau.

I hear all the time many MMA fans proclaiming that it can never be like boxing. News flash, it is like boxing. You're seeing more and more promotions pop up, with their own belts, and their own agendas. PPVS, boxing. It's an identical setup, with outwardly different appearances - identical none the less. Throw in the 10 point must system, and things start looking even more gruesome.

I want to see MMA taken to a respected legitimate sport, not kept stagnant on a multi-platform PPV sheme that a small few get rich from. My 74 cents.[/quote']

Let's make it a dollar. The WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, heck yeah it's like boxing. And you know, I'm sure there are those against the one ring to rule all them all larf, but we got the NFL. Major League Baseball. NHL, etc., it's evolution.

Oh.

But I bet it would be that much harder to get into MMA, just like those sports, if only one gateway was made. Maybe it is a bad idea. I love the fact that average joes compete. It would be the end of them. They might make college a pre-requisite to fight. Oh no! This is a bad idea. An Anderson Silva would be unheard of if it happened. This guy worked at Mickey D's.

Let's make it a dollar. The WBA' date=' WBC, IBF, WBO, heck yeah it's like boxing. And you know, I'm sure there are those against the one ring to rule all them all larf, but we got the NFL. Major League Baseball. NHL, etc., it's evolution.

Oh.

But I bet it would be that much harder to get into MMA, just like those sports, if only one gateway was made. Maybe it is a bad idea. I love the fact that average joes compete. It would be the end of them. They might make college a pre-requisite to fight. Oh no! This is a bad idea. An Anderson Silva would be unheard of if it happened. This guy worked at Mickey D's.[/quote']

My ideas don't eliminate the smaller, localized gyms, venues, etc. Sure there would be some form of minor leagues, however you wanna define that. But ultimately, the supremacy would be found in 1 professional league, similar to an NFL, or NBA. It would be the place all MMA fighters strive to partake in.

Hell, I'd even like to see it an Olympic Sport, where we can get behind our countries. Imagine Lesnar/Fedor at the Olympics? Off the charts.....

My ideas don't eliminate the smaller' date=' localized gyms, venues, etc. Sure there would be some form of minor leagues, however you wanna define that. But ultimately, the supremacy would be found in 1 professional league, similar to an NFL, or NBA. It would be the place all MMA fighters strive to partake in.

Hell, I'd even like to see it an Olympic Sport, where we can get behind our countries. Imagine Lesnar/Fedor at the Olympics? Off the charts.....[/quote']

Minor Fight Leagues... Olympic Coors Light sponsors... yeah, I can dig it.

They have Diaz vs Gomi which may be on the next card' date=' the Cyborg/Coenen title fight. The welterweight Title with Zaromskis the Dream 170lbs champion. And Bobby Lashley's debut in Strikeforce, they still Thompson/Melendez, and Gina Carano that can fill seats. And if Hendo comes to Strike, his fight with Mousasi would be epic.

Mayhem/Jacare fight.......they have fights that can be big draws, even the next Fedor card. And they have the 135lbs womans title too. With Kyra Gracie, Sarah Kaufman, and Tara LaRosa, Julie Berezikova, and Kerry Vera. And the 145lbs Featherweight division thats now in Strikeforce.

When you look at UFC Hw division they only have Lesnar, Carwin, Cain. you know they will not let these guys go. Then there's Mir, Nog, Gabby Gonzaga, and Junior Dos Santos as well, the rest are just card fillers now. Duffee, Buentello, Kongo, Rothwell, Hardonk, Barry. All are just card fillers. Weve seen the fighters that are just there for their guys too win.....

Christian Wellich, Justin McCully, Josh Hendricks, Tim Hague, Mustapha Al Turk, Chris Tuchsherer. All nobodies that will get booted once they've done their job, and thats promote UFC's main guys...........

Strikeforces Heavyweights:

Overeem, Rodgers(this saturday), Kharitonov, Monson, Roger Gracie, Bobby Lashley, Barnett(hopefully soon), Antonio Silva, Fabricio Werdum, Marcio Cruz, maybe Ricco if he gets in shape again. And hopefully more a the year progresses.

Exodus' date=' you talk like the UFC is not ever going to get a network deal... ;)[/quote']

The way how they want it. They wont. UFC wants too keep all revenue streams. Networks are like Co-Promtion. UFC already does not want to do that. Networks wont share products, they own them.........

Discuss.[/quote']

/end wall of text

dude im not a UFC fanboy I don't care where I get my MMA from as long as I see good fights and the big match ups that I want. so coming from there I can tell you that as a business UFC is soooo much more mature than STRIKEFORCE. Right now UFC could have a bad year and lose all their top fighters to swine flu and still come right back, but SF is a new risky venture with all their eggs in just a few baskets. The potential for failure is high and although they may succeed the UFC brand is really powerful. Outside of MMA enthusiasts and in the realm of casual I like to see fights/WWE crossover fans UFC = MMA.

You can't beat that. Where you are coming from is the angle of an educated fan, but they make up only a fraction of people who watch MMA.

SF is putting every big fight for the next six months on one card. Which is impressive.

If the UFC had wanted to add Silva/Griffin, Penn/Florian and Franklin/Wanderlei to UFC 100 they could have. If they wanted to show it for free they could have, and it would have gotten huge ratings. I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't do this because THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THIS WAY. I'll trust the actual marketing executives at Zuffa with degrees over self-proclaimed geniuses with nothing more than theories and no way to back up the tons of hypotheticals in their arguments. And having to resort to sweeping generalizations like that all UFC fans wear Tapout and watch Punk'd and the OC just make no one take you seriously.

Let's get serious. Say the SF event is HUGE ratings wise, which could happen. Ok. It'll make as much money from ratings as any UFC event does from Pay-Per-View and marketing, if that. Say SF gets bigger. Zuffa buys it just like they did with Pride. Even though they won't get every SF talent, they'll get a lot of them. Expect Mayhem, Shields and more in the UFC within three to five years TOPS.

Strikeforce are puting all there eggs into one basket (fedor) and god forbid what will happen if Fedor gets knocked out! Rogers to UFC probably which I'm sure he'll do in a heartbeat should Dana show an interest in him!!!

Strikeforce are terrible at self promotion and the deal with showtime will not help them. Yes this is a great card coming up but UFC could put together a card far greater with ease if they wanted too. They just choose to spread it out over the year.

I think a TV deal is also close to being done for UFC which should see LIVE FREE events very soon.

Nothing against Strikeforce but I think they will go bust within 12 months. Getting into bed with M1 Global was not a great idea!

Although direct competition is sometimes healthy, I can't see Strikeforce competing with UFC for long. We shall see I guess....

Archived