Carwin suffers from swine flu as well

CarlLane

Shane Carwin slowed by "strain of the swine flu" during UFC 106 preparations

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar wasn't the only UFC 106 headliner dealing with illness.

Earlier this week Lesnar notified UFC officials that a nearly month-long illness had forced him out of a Nov. 21 UFC 106 main event fight in Las Vegas.

His opponent, undefeated Shane Carwin, today said he, too, was sick with a "strain of the swine flu" but had never considered pulling out of the title fight.

"Last week was the first week that I actually started feeling better from a strain of the swine flu," he wrote in a blog entry on his Web site, http://www.shane-carwin.com. "I had lost over 15 pounds, something I could not afford to [lose], and had just pulled some muscles in my leg during training."

However, unlike Lesnar, Carwin said he hadn't considered backing out of the pay-per-view headliner.

"I would have never pulled out of the fight," he wrote.

With Lesnar vs. Carwin now expected to take place in early 2010, UFC 106 will instead feature a main event (and rematch) between former UFC champions Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz, who were originally slated to meet in the night's co-main event. And as MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, the UFC also bolstered the card with a bout between welterweight contenders Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson that will serve as the new UFC 106 co-main event.

As for the postponement, Carwin believes it'll work to his advantage.

"Fighting for the UFC belt is my path, and honestly, Brock coming down with his illness only gives me more time to be in that much better shape," he wrote. "It is a blessing if you want to know the truth."

Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) earned his title shot after beating Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96. Although his resume is impressive (every fight has ended via stoppage in two minutes and 11 seconds or less), Carwin earned the title shot partially because he spoke openly and criticized Brock Lesnar's antics at UFC 100, according to UFC president Dana White. Soon after unifying the heavyweight titles and defeating Frank Mir at UFC 100, Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) took verbal shots at the fans and a UFC sponsor alike.

For the latest on UFC 106 and UFC 108, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16651/shane-carwin-slowed-by-strain-of-the-swine-flu-during-ufc-106-preparations.mma

My take: I guess we'll never know if Carwin would have asked to postpone the fight or not...IMO of course he wouldn't want to knowing that he has everything to gain with very little to lose, Lesnar on the other hand much more to lose, not only his title, but lso a 4-2 record if he fell to Shane with a less then stellar performance could destroy a young MMA career in the eyes of matchmakers...

Another Brock hater! Brock had a lot more than the sniffles. He had swine flu symptoms for a month.

The swine flu, or any flu for that matter lasts at most, a week! If a man in Brock's health is sick for a month, there's a serious problem. Ask a doctor! Any flu shouldn't last more than a week. He might be hiding an injury or who knows what, but the flu? I personally love the " a strian of the swine flu", like theres more than one. Nonetheless, it's not the flu. Still gonna be a great fight whenever it happens.

The swine flu' date=' or any flu for that matter lasts at most, a week! If a man in Brock's health is sick for a month, there's a serious problem. Ask a doctor! Any flu shouldn't last more than a week. He might be hiding an injury or who knows what, but the flu? I personally love the " a strian of the swine flu", like theres more than one. Nonetheless, it's not the flu. Still gonna be a great fight whenever it happens.[/quote']

I personally think Dana knew Anderson "Diva" Silva was going to turn down Vitor at the New Year's Card so Dana made the move and Brock is the patsy...

Shane Carwin slowed by "strain of the swine flu" during UFC 106 preparations

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Oct 28' date=' 2009 at 3:20 pm ET

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar wasn't the only UFC 106 headliner dealing with illness.

Earlier this week Lesnar notified UFC officials that a nearly month-long illness had forced him out of a Nov. 21 UFC 106 main event fight in Las Vegas.

His opponent, undefeated Shane Carwin, today said he, too, was sick with a "strain of the swine flu" but had never considered pulling out of the title fight.

"Last week was the first week that I actually started feeling better from a strain of the swine flu," he wrote in a blog entry on his Web site, http://www.shane-carwin.com. "I had lost over 15 pounds, something I could not afford to [lose'], and had just pulled some muscles in my leg during training."

However, unlike Lesnar, Carwin said he hadn't considered backing out of the pay-per-view headliner.

"I would have never pulled out of the fight," he wrote.

With Lesnar vs. Carwin now expected to take place in early 2010, UFC 106 will instead feature a main event (and rematch) between former UFC champions Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz, who were originally slated to meet in the night's co-main event. And as MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, the UFC also bolstered the card with a bout between welterweight contenders Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson that will serve as the new UFC 106 co-main event.

As for the postponement, Carwin believes it'll work to his advantage.

"Fighting for the UFC belt is my path, and honestly, Brock coming down with his illness only gives me more time to be in that much better shape," he wrote. "It is a blessing if you want to know the truth."

Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) earned his title shot after beating Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96. Although his resume is impressive (every fight has ended via stoppage in two minutes and 11 seconds or less), Carwin earned the title shot partially because he spoke openly and criticized Brock Lesnar's antics at UFC 100, according to UFC president Dana White. Soon after unifying the heavyweight titles and defeating Frank Mir at UFC 100, Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) took verbal shots at the fans and a UFC sponsor alike.

For the latest on UFC 106 and UFC 108, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16651/shane-carwin-slowed-by-strain-of-the-swine-flu-during-ufc-106-preparations.mma

My take: I guess we'll never know if Carwin would have asked to postpone the fight or not...IMO of course he wouldn't want to knowing that he has everything to gain with very little to lose, Lesnar on the other hand much more to lose, not only his title, but lso a 4-2 record if he fell to Shane with a less then stellar performance could destroy a young MMA career in the eyes of matchmakers...

didnt read your essay here.. dont know if its true or not.. but i gotta say the title/poll had me laughing..

Another Brock hater! Brock had a lot more than the sniffles. He had swine flu symptoms for a month.

Squall,

You actually buy into the swine flu? Your better off getting that than Regular flu; my 18 month old tested positive for swine flu and was better in less than a week!

Brock is affraid Cawin will tun his face into a piccaso, that is why he withdrew from the fight. If he was really sick for a month its probobly cause he has AIDS or an incredibly low immune system from all the Roids he is doing. That or HEP A,B,or C.

Squall' date='

You actually buy into the swine flu? Your better off getting that than Regular flu; my 18 month old tested positive for swine flu and was better in less than a week!

Brock is affraid Cawin will tun his face into a piccaso, that is why he withdrew from the fight. If he was really sick for a month its probobly cause he has AIDS or an incredibly low immune system from all the Roids he is doing. That or HEP A,B,or C.[/quote']

Did I say he had swine flu? No, I just said he had symptoms of swine flu. Also, if you really think Brock is scared of Shane, why are they are fighting in January? Brock's striking is not going to improve in that short of time.

Did I say he had swine flu? No' date=' I just said he had symptoms of swine flu. Also, if you really think Brock is scared of Shane, why are they are fighting in January? Brock's striking is not going to improve in that short of time.[/quote']

Ok whatever swine flu or regular flue or aids who cares, he was "sick" for one month, he still had a moth to "get better" when he pulled out. Not to mention he should have been in great shape after the Mir fight, he is the Champ and should know he has to stay fit. He had several moths after UFC 100 to train and a month after he "got better" to train. Some fighters take bouts on 24hour notice. Brock is a punk and a fluzie.

Ok whatever swine flu or regular flue or aids who cares' date=' he was "sick" for one month, he still had a moth to "get better" when he pulled out. Not to mention he should have been in great shape after the Mir fight, he is the Champ and should know he has to stay fit. He had several moths after UFC 100 to train and a month after he "got better" to train. Some fighters take bouts on 24hour notice. Brock is a punk and a fluzie.[/quote']

How is Brock a punk? Many fighters dropped out of fights before. If Shane was really ill, he is probably happy the fight got rescheduled.

The swine flu' date=' or any flu for that matter lasts at most, a week! If a man in Brock's health is sick for a month, there's a serious problem. Ask a doctor! Any flu shouldn't last more than a week. He might be hiding an injury or who knows what, but the flu? I personally love the " a strian of the swine flu", like theres more than one. Nonetheless, it's not the flu. Still gonna be a great fight whenever it happens.[/quote']

Swine flu affects people in different ways. If I remember correctly, Swine flu kills people with robust immune systems more than people with mediocre immune systems. That being said, I wouldn't doubt that both of them had swine flu.

How do I know this? I had confirmed swine flu for pretty much a month. It really only takes a week to get over the worst of it (near complete incapaciation), but you will retain a level of fatigue for about another week, and a phlegm cough for pretty much about a month. So it's possible that Lesnar was fighting that off for a rather long period of time. Shane Carwin probably got back into the gym as soon as the worst of it was over, but both of them probably did lose a considerable amount of weight (I lost on the order of 5-10 lbs).

It's better that they postpone this fight. If you lose that much weight, believe me that your cardio is almost nonexistent. Even Carwin knew that he wasn't going to go in 100%. Better they both go in healthy and end the fight right there than having two guys gas out in the first minute of the fight. It takes a lot to build up the weight you lost, especially if you already have non-existent body fat. And this is completely ignoring the concept of cutting weight.

How is Brock a punk? Many fighters dropped out of fights before. If Shane was really ill' date=' he is probably happy the fight got rescheduled.[/quote']

I'll give you my top 10

10) stupid **** hair cut

9) WWE bull chit attitude

8) shows disrespect to fighters, fans, and sponsors,

7) half assed appolgies that dont mean chit

6) he is from south dakota)

5) Went to College then PRO Wrestling then PRO football And now PRO fighting (all Fails)

4) He has reporoduced with his fugly wife to make an even fuglyer chud of a child than he was

3) Has absolutly no talent outside of wrestling

2) Has only beaten smaller oppenents, picks on the little guy, and should fight at SHW in another ORG where other MMA noobs are sent

And the # 1 reason Brock Lesnar is A PUNK!!!!......

A combination of his stupid **** 2 finger salute and He cired like a b**** in the WWE.

whatever is said it still remains that the fight is postponed. Nobody here knows if it was swine flu or not and to be honest it doesnt matter and makes no difference, the fight is posponed. Carwin may have been ill too but it still remains..the fight is postponed. So i guess what im saying is the fight is postponed. It will be settled one day but the fight for now...is postponed! and everyone that is slating brock for being ill and pretending they are medical experts, well guess what...the fight is postponed

Swine flu affects people in different ways. If I remember correctly' date=' Swine flu kills people with robust immune systems more than people with mediocre immune systems. That being said, I wouldn't doubt that both of them had swine flu.

How do I know this? [b']I had confirmed swine flu for pretty much a month[/b]. It really only takes a week to get over the worst of it (near complete incapaciation), but you will retain a level of fatigue for about another week, and a phlegm cough for pretty much about a month. So it's possible that Lesnar was fighting that off for a rather long period of time. Shane Carwin probably got back into the gym as soon as the worst of it was over, but both of them probably did lose a considerable amount of weight (I lost on the order of 5-10 lbs).

It's better that they postpone this fight. If you lose that much weight, believe me that your cardio is almost nonexistent. Even Carwin knew that he wasn't going to go in 100%. Better they both go in healthy and end the fight right there than having two guys gas out in the first minute of the fight. It takes a lot to build up the weight you lost, especially if you already have non-existent body fat. And this is completely ignoring the concept of cutting weight.

PenTrik,

If a toddler can fight it off in under a week Brock has no excuse. I dont care that you had swine flu, and guess what Lesnar can afford to lose some weight. I can also guarentee you both carwin and lesnar have between 5-10 pounds of fat on their bodies.

If brock cant fight when he is told to fight he should auto forefit. Big Nog fought after spending a week in the hospital with a staph infection, Shogun fought coleman after having 2 knee surguries, Tito however much of a B**** he is fought repeatedly with an injured back, Machida had a hurt hand in his lat fight, Forrest griffin broke his arm mid fight and still scored a victory.

Bottom line is there are endless examples of people fighting sick, injured, or on late prep notice.

Brock withdrew because as I already stated he is a Punk and a Chump!

PenTrik' date='

[b']If a toddler can fight it off in under a week Brock has no excuse[/b]. I dont care that you had swine flu, and guess what Lesnar can afford to lose some weight. I can also guarentee you both carwin and lesnar have between 5-10 pounds of fat on their bodies.

If brock cant fight when he is told to fight he should auto forefit. Big Nog fought after spending a week in the hospital with a staph infection, Shogun fought coleman after having 2 knee surguries, Tito however much of a B**** he is fought repeatedly with an injured back, Machida had a hurt hand in his lat fight, Forrest griffin broke his arm mid fight and still scored a victory.

Bottom line is there are endless examples of people fighting sick, injured, or on late prep notice.

Brock withdrew because as I already stated he is a Punk and a Chump!

lol..need a tissue?

A tissue for what? the n*** I just busted on ur m**'s t***s?

What are you talking about kid?

kid? lol, gotta love it. I'm offering you a tissue to help dry your tears up. He fought with this injury..he fought with that injury...wah wah lol. get over it, it's postponed, it doesnt matter why, you're not involved in it so...dry those tears away, they will fight on another day, the days will soon pass by...so there is no need to cry.

Go empty your balls somewhere and then catch some sleep, it'll feel better in the morning. xxx luv ya

whatever is said it still remains that the fight is postponed. Nobody here knows if it was swine flu or not and to be honest it doesnt matter and makes no difference' date=' the fight is posponed. Carwin may have been ill too but it still remains..the fight is postponed. So i guess what im saying is the fight is postponed. It will be settled one day but the fight for now...is postponed! and everyone that is slating brock for being ill and pretending they are medical experts, well guess what...the fight is postponed[/quote']

Are you sure its postponed man? How do you know its postponed? Im not convinced its actually postponed...

kid? lol' date=' gotta love it. I'm offering you a tissue to help dry your tears up. He fought with this injury..he fought with that injury...wah wah lol. get over it, it's postponed, it doesnt matter why, you're not involved in it so...dry those tears away, they will fight on another day, the days will soon pass by...so there is no need to cry.

[b']Go empty your balls somewhere[/b] and then catch some sleep, it'll feel better in the morning. xxx luv ya

Appearantly you didn't get the ****st of what I meant with my last post, I was trying to imply I just had done so on ur mums t t s

its 3:51 PM here hardly time for an adult to go to bed. If you where here it would be nap time though right?

swine flu affects people in different ways. If i remember correctly' date=' swine flu kills people with robust immune systems more than people with mediocre immune systems. That being said, i wouldn't doubt that both of them had swine flu.

How do i know this? I had confirmed swine flu for pretty much a month. It really only takes a week to get over the worst of it (near complete incapaciation), but you will retain a level of fatigue for about another week, and a phlegm cough for pretty much about a month. So it's possible that lesnar was fighting that off for a rather long period of time. Shane carwin probably got back into the gym as soon as the worst of it was over, but both of them probably did lose a considerable amount of weight (i lost on the order of 5-10 lbs).

It's better that they postpone this fight. If you lose that much weight, believe me that your cardio is almost nonexistent. Even carwin knew that he wasn't going to go in 100%. Better they both go in healthy and end the fight right there than having two guys gas out in the first minute of the fight. It takes a lot to build up the weight you lost, especially if you already have non-existent body fat. And this is completely ignoring the concept of cutting weight.[/quote']

+100

I like Shane Carwin, I really do. I respect his abilities as a fighter. But lately, his mouth is losing some of my respect for him as an individual. Seems to be slightly hypocritical. Started out talking about how Lesnar is bad for the fight game, his mouth is disrespectful, etc. Well, Carwin is starting to do the same. Obviously he has never bad-mouthed the fans or sponsors, but still. Just shut your mouth, stay off twitter, train your **** off, and do things the old school way. WIN!

Now, as far as the topic of this post is concerned... In my opinion, for Carwin to NOT ask for this fight to be postponed if he was truly affected that much (losing alot of training time and 15lbs.) is pure STUPIDITY. Honestly, you would throw away your title shot because of some BS pride issue you have? I know that I personally would rather both fighters be 100% and see a good fight instead of seeing one or both be worn out, weak, and a horrible fight overall. I don't see it as Carwin being dedicated or a hero. I see it as him being stupid and not understanding the extent of the situation. As I said before, shut up, train, fight, win. That's your job. Do it.

What people seem to be forgetting is that this isn't a fight of Good vs. Evil, Right vs. Wrong, David vs. Goliath. This is a fight of Shane Carwin vs. Brock Lesnar for the UFC Heavyweight Championship Belt. "Sub-plots" don't mean anything on fight day. All that matters is performance.

Appearantly you didn't get the ****st of what I meant with my last post' date=' I was trying to imply I just had done so on ur mums t t s

its 3:51 PM here hardly time for an adult to go to bed. If you where here it would be nap time though right?[/quote']

i know what you were saying lol, used to say similar stuff when i was small too, grew out of it tho. 3.51 is early for an adult...but as you proved by your earlier comment 3.51 is waaay past your nap time.

Dont worry tho, each night you go to sleep you grow a little bit bigger and a little bit more mentally astute so in time, my friend, somehow, someday you'll end up making atleast a little bit of sense lol

bye babe xx

Archived