Is Cheick Kongo ready for Mir?

JP24

Kongo did fairly well against Cain Velasquez, but Cain wasn't at the top of his game. I can't help but think that Frank Mir is too good for Cheick Kongo. I think Frank Mir is definitely the dominant ground fighter, and may even be the better striker. Any thoughts?

Kongo did fairly well against Cain Velasquez' date=' but Cain wasn't at the top of his game. I can't help but think that Frank Mir is too good for Cheick Kongo. I think Frank Mir is definitely the dominant ground fighter, and may even be the better striker. Any thoughts?[/quote']

More dominant ground fighter? Easily.

Better striker? No.

Kongo has shown in many of his fights that he really doesn't have a ground game. But he definately makes up for it in his striking. I believe he is the best striker in the HW division. But Mir has shown as of late that his striking is pretty damn good too. He's improved quite alot.

But I don't really see Mir taking him down so it'll be a striking match till it possibly goes down and then Mir submits him. I think that Kongo has a good advantage on the feet but Mir is leaps and bounds beyond him on the ground. I think Mir will take this one home pretty easy.

I have my bets on Mir in that fight' date=' despite the fact that I think Kongo is capable of winning. I hope Kongo wins, I want him to win, absolutely.[/quote']

Frank Mir is one of my favorite fighters, I won't lie. But that doesn't mean I'll count out Kongo. If it stays standing this one's going to Kongo. But I'd place my bet on Mir pulling it off.

I love Cheick Kongo's striking game, and everything he does. I thought when I was watching that he was going to defeat Velasquez after rocking him several times, but Velasquez somehow hung in there. I strongly agree that Kongo will win if he can keep it standing, but Mir can bring anyone to the ground.

I love Cheick Kongo's striking game' date=' and everything he does. I thought when I was watching that he was going to defeat Velasquez after rocking him several times, but Velasquez somehow hung in there. I strongly agree that Kongo will win if he can keep it standing, but Mir can bring anyone to the ground.[/quote']

True. Some of those shots I thought for sure was going to put down Cane. But he kept going! He's a persistant little devil.

And Kongo's been one of my faves too. Not as much as Frank but still admire his skills. I can't wait to watch this one.

Kongo's well ready for Mir but it will be interesting to see how he approaches this fight since his Muay Thai clinch leaves him open for a take down. He must know that Mir will (try to) take him to the mat as early as possible and keep him there for the duration and he is very dangerous down there and hard to shake off but I don't like Mir's chances one bit if he decides to trade blows with Kongo, it could be all over for him so fast.

This fight reminds me of the McFedries vs Leites fight, the good old striker vs ju-jitsu matchup. Mir has some good striking of his own but probably not as aggressive and powerful as Kongo. Mir needs to pick his spots and time a takedown. Im calling out Mir as a 65% favourite to win, and win via Kimura. Both guys coming to avenge their last loss so this will definately be a good fight.

This fight reminds me of the McFedries vs Leites fight' date=' the good old striker vs ju-jitsu matchup. Mir has some good striking of his own but probably not as aggressive and powerful as Kongo. Mir needs to pick his spots and time a takedown. Im calling out Mir as a 65% favourite to win, and win via Kimura. Both guys coming to avenge their last loss so this will definately be a good fight.[/quote']

Didnt that fight last like <1 round?

It is more likely that Mir could beat Kongo standing up than Kongo beating Mir on the ground.

Kongo could def beat mir on the ground just not off his back, if all Kongo does is sub defence from his last fight till he fights mir he should have some decent sub defence by fight time IMO. Kinda like if Kibo just practiced sweeps, escapes and sprawling for a few years he could hold his own in the octagon.

technically mir has advantage on ground game. striking is particularly equal.kongo is one of the best striker in the HW division,he has good leg kicks and elbows.but mir also developed a good stand up game which we saw on his big nog fight.i think it will be more on a stand up fight,but if i were mir,i'd take kongo to the ground and submit him,take advantage of his weakness,kongo doesn't have any ground game at all.

technically mir has advantage on ground game. striking is particularly equal.kongo is one of the best striker in the HW division' date='he has good leg kicks and elbows.but mir also developed a good stand up game which we saw on his big nog fight.i think it will be more on a stand up fight,but if i were mir,i'd take kongo to the ground and submit him,take advantage of his weakness,kongo doesn't have any ground game at all.[/quote']

Kongo is a much better striker than Mir... Mir beat Nog FLUKE

lol I wouldnt exactly call it a fluke' date=' Big Nog is one tough SOB, however he wasnt 100% in the fight coming off staph infection prior. Not taking away anything from Mir though, he still executed some fine striking combinations.[/quote']

I would reckon Nog needed a few energy drinks to even drag **** into the Cage that night. Compare Nog VS Couture to Nog vs Mir and tell me it was the same calliber fight in Nog. I dont think so. This rematch is needed more than Machida Shogun 2.

I would reckon Nog needed a few energy drinks to even drag **** into the Cage that night. Compare Nog VS Couture to Nog vs Mir and tell me it was the same calliber fight in Nog. I dont think so. This rematch is needed more than Machida Shogun 2.

I totally agree man, alot of top fighters have had poor fights due to injuries, illness or other misfortunes (Shogun to name the most obvious, but even Mir was lackluster in his post-motorcycle-accident comeback). And yeah, im hanging for a Mir vs Nogueira 2 as well, because Mir's striking has come along way and Nog's striking against Couture was very impressive. I cant really pick a winner if they had a rematch because the way I see it they both nullify each other out in striking and ground game.

I totally agree man' date=' alot of top fighters have had poor fights due to injuries, illness or other misfortunes (Shogun to name the most obvious, but even Mir was lackluster in his post-motorcycle-accident comeback). And yeah, im hanging for a Mir vs Nogueira 2 as well, because Mir's striking has come along way and Nog's striking against Couture was very impressive. I cant really pick a winner if they had a rematch because the way I see it they both nullify each other out in striking and ground game.[/quote']

You remember when Mir and Wes Simms fought, Absolute worst I have ever seen Mir.

Mir has a huge advantage on the ground. In mt opinion, Kongo has a decent advantage standing up. More power, crisper strikes, more speed. If only Kongo would switch camps. Wolfslair is notorious for fighters not being very good on the ground. If Kongo would hook up with a camp like Xtreme Couture or Blackhouse, he would be an absolute beast in the octagon and a definite title contender.

TUF 10 is the worst ever. You cant beat the original Ultimate Fighter IMO. Leben' date=' Koscheck, Florian, Swick, Griffin, Bonnar, Sanchez, and that sook Bobby Southworth.[/quote']

i really wish I would have made a tape for this season, I proboly would have gotten picked up too (given the caliber of fighters this year) maybe I'll take a hiatus from the army and chase the fight dream for a while, prob not though,

Kongo did fairly well against Cain Velasquez' date=' but Cain wasn't at the top of his game. I can't help but think that Frank Mir is too good for Cheick Kongo. I think Frank Mir is definitely the dominant ground fighter, and may even be the better striker. Any thoughts?[/quote']

It sould be....is Mir ready for Cheick Kongo....ko round 1 by Kongo

Kongos weakness is the ground game, look at him vs cain. Mir is bigger than cain and has way better ground game. Kongo doesnt stand a chance, maybe MAYBE if he catches mir with a luck shot. I just think mir just out classes kongo imho.

Not sure where you get the maybe even better striker from, but you have the right to your own opinion. If Frank doesn't get this to the ground he's toast. But in the end I see this going the similar route when Frank fought Vera. Basically Mir being totally dominated in the stand up. I would expect a TKO in favour of Kongo.

Mir can definetly submit kongo, no doubt. But Kongo is a beast with his striking and i think he can get a tko early in the fight, but mir is also a good striker. i could see this going to a decision and being a war. or mir can end it easily by taking it down. im rooting for cheick all the way.

technically mir has advantage on ground game. striking is particularly equal.kongo is one of the best striker in the HW division' date='he has good leg kicks and elbows.but mir also developed a good stand up game which we saw on his big nog fight.i think it will be more on a stand up fight,but if i were mir,i'd take kongo to the ground and submit him,take advantage of his weakness,kongo doesn't have any ground game at all.[/quote']

no it isnt...Kongo is a better striker...so Mir outstruck a sick Nog and now he is a good striker?...

Kongos weakness is the ground game' date=' look at him vs cain. Mir is bigger than cain [b']and has way better ground game[/b]. Kongo doesnt stand a chance, maybe MAYBE if he catches mir with a luck shot. I just think mir just out classes kongo imho.

Mir has better BJJ but Cain has better wrestling...Cain was able to control Kongo once on the ground...if Mir can keep Kongo down he will have the advantage

and Kongo 'catching' Mir isnt a lucky strike because Kongo is a better striker and his plan is to KO Mir

Kongo did fairly well against Cain Velasquez' date=' [/quote']

Kongo did HORRIBLE against Cain. What did you see in that fight that makes you feel that way? He got absolutely tooled by Cain on the ground. He caught Cain a couple of times but it meant nothing. Kongo should be able to tag Mir but if it goes to the ground it's game over for Kongo.

I believe that Mir is going to stand with Congo, Mir has gotten very confident and very good at his striking. Mir likes a challenge, he will not shoot for take down because it would be to easy to beat Congo on the ground. Believe me, Mir will stand with him. If he feels like he is losing he'll probably pull guard and submit him. I really want to see who has improved the most. Both these guys need a win. Especially Mir who got his face battered in the biggest UFC PPV ever.

the real question is, is mir ready for kongo?

there's no question that kongo is the best striker in the HW division, and if he connects one strike, mir takes a nap. and after the velasquez fight, i guarantee you that kongo has been working his takedown defense and wrestling like crazy. mir has excellent BJJ, but his takedowns are pretty average at best. this fight will remain on the feet

Kongo by KO

Archived