Ben Rothwell blasts Steve Mazzagatti's stoppage

freedom

http://www.fightmarks.com/story.php?title=ben-rothwell-blasts-steve-mazzagattis-stoppage

Unsuccessful in his UFC debut against top contender Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, IFL veteran 'Big' Ben Rothwell made it clear that he felt stoppage made by referee Steve Mazzagatti was unjustified as he was in the midst of transitioning to better his position.

"So what he was punching me, big deal, isn?t that what happens in a fight? The reality of the situation is that I was using the cage to get to my feet and which I basically did and then for some reason Steve [Mazzagatti] decides to step in. Honestly, I couldn?t believe it. I mean if the punches had some force behind them I could understand it but those were like soft jabs that didn?t hurt at all, it was like he was just hitting me to stay busy rather than damage me. That's is why I wasn't covering up ? the punches didn?t hurt and definitely weren't doing any damage, at least not enough to slow me down, but then he [steve Mazzagatti] calls the fight? Please, my grandmother hits harder that that.

i smell ********.. he was clearly being affected by those punches.. he was getting destroyed.. mazagaiti told him in between rounds that if he started taking more punches like that he was gonna stop the fight.. stoppage wasnt at the best time but rothwell was just going to go the fight getting beaten silly.. if he didnt want the fight stopped he should have done more to defend himself

Cain Velasquez has the least amount of power out of any of the top ten UFC HW's. When he finds himself in the octagon against Lesnar, Carwin, Nog, Mir, dos Santos etc. he wil be the one taking a beating. It's almost laughable how weak his GNP is. Granted he stays busy and his great wrestling helps him keep guys on the ground, but it won't work against the aformentioned fighters.

Cain Velasquez has the least amount of power out of any of the top ten UFC HW's. When he finds himself in the octagon against Lesnar' date=' Carwin, Nog, Mir, dos Santos etc. he wil be the one taking a beating. It's almost laughable how weak his GNP is. Granted he stays busy and his great wrestling helps him keep guys on the ground, but it won't work against the aformentioned fighters.[/quote']

He has decent power IMO. Ben just has a solid chin

Cain Velasquez has the least amount of power out of any of the top ten UFC HW's. When he finds himself in the octagon against Lesnar' date=' Carwin, Nog, Mir, dos Santos etc. he wil be the one taking a beating. It's almost laughable how weak his GNP is. Granted he stays busy and his great wrestling helps him keep guys on the ground, but it won't work against the aformentioned fighters.[/quote']

True story. Velasquez does have a weak(ish) ground and pound at the moment but it's only a matter of time before he fixes it. His wrestling is too good for him to not to. Here's how I looked at it: Mir criticized Lesnar's ground and pound saying he drops bombs two inches from the face. Lesnar's response, well we all saw how that went. By all means Lesnar is stronger and more powerful than Velasquez but I still think he'll improve his ground and pound as he continues to get more comfortable in the octagon. If not, well then expect a lot more unanimous decision wins for Velasquez.

I like Rothwell but he got his **** kicked. End of story. The stoppage was questionable but it only happened because Cain was destroying him the whole fight and there were a few instances where it could of been stopped. Stopped or not, Cain would of won that fight by a landslide.

Time to stop looking for excuses Rothwell, and admit that Cain was the better fighter that night.

No one can deny the fact that Ben was getting destroyed at the moment. But he was still fine and was not down and out. The stoppage was crap either way you put it. In fact Ben was perfectly fine as soon as the stoppage was called. It should have been left to continue although the end result probably would have been Ben laying face down in the canvas.

i smell ********.. he was clearly being affected by those punches.. he was getting destroyed.. mazagaiti told him in between rounds that if he started taking more punches like that he was gonna stop the fight.. stoppage wasnt at the best time but rothwell was just going to go the fight getting beaten silly.. if he didnt want the fight stopped he should have done more to defend himself

i agree.i think mazagaiti should have stopped the fight in the 1st round,but still his stoppage was justified because he warned him.

i wanted cain to straight up demolish rothwell, which he was doing, but im not gonna lie, it wasnt stopped at the right time, i was actually kinda pissed that it stopped, just because i wanted to see fatboy keep gettin smashed for the rest of the fight, but yea it was stopped too early, but that fight was going nowhere for rothwell

The stoppage was premature. There have been a lot of fights where one fighter was nearly finished only to come back for the win. Was Ben Rothwell going to recover and win? Probably not. But he should have had the chance.

The grounds for a referee stoppage are when the fighter is not defending himself intelligently.

Eating 4 clean shots to the face without even raising a hand to block them is NOT an intelingent form of defence. No matter how you take it.

The grounds for a referee stoppage are when the fighter is not defending himself intelligently.

Eating 4 clean shots to the face without even raising a hand to block them is NOT an intelingent form of defence. No matter how you take it.

Obviously if fights were stopped every time a fighter took 4 punches to the face in a row most fights would probably be stopped early. Noguiera wouldn't even have a career if they were stopped for that. The damage the punches do and how stunned the fighter is determines the stoppage. Rothwell obviously wasn't hurt and was actually getting back to his feet. Like I said before, he very well might have gotten shut down right after that but he should have gotten a chance to get out of that situation.

Questionable call, as Ben was getting ready to stand back up, but he was slowly making it there, all the while eating punches and not defending himself. I can see where Maz decided to stop, unfortunetally a second later Ben got to his feet, so the stoppage was a few seconds to late and is now controversial. However Maz did warn Ben, as Ben was getting killed the whole time, and not properly defending himself. In a dangerous sport like this, I can respect a ref's concern for the overall fighters safety, and later in life Ben should probally be thanking him. Sometimes as addrennlin is pumping, you don't realize the extent of damage that happens later. While Ben is trying to save face and act like he wasn't getting hurt, he was, he was getting killed the whole fight and took plenty of blows to the head. The head is not meant to take constant blows, so overall, it was a mercy stop.

It wasn't just this flurry of hits while he was in the clinch and trying to get back to his feet, it was the whole fight, that he took a beating and had no answer for it.

Obviously if fights were stopped every time a fighter took 4 punches to the face in a row most fights would probably be stopped early. Noguiera wouldn't even have a career if they were stopped for that. The damage the punches do and how stunned the fighter is determines the stoppage. Rothwell obviously wasn't hurt and was actually getting back to his feet. Like I said before' date=' he very well might have gotten shut down right after that but he should have gotten a chance to get out of that situation.[/quote']

Agreed. Noguiera is exactly the guy I thought of when he said "4 clean punches to the face". I mean seriously if they stopped fights like that Noguiera wouldn't have a victory to his name.

its by far the best wrestling ive ever seen in the octagon in that fight cain executed his gameplan perfectly and didnt really take any damage i think it was stopped too early but more was coming his way..

I will say cain will do the same to a few more contenders on the wya to the top that is until he hits Mir or Nog as we have not seen him with any good BJJ guys i think it will be interesting to see how he handles that situation against two fighters amazing off their back.

But i think the UFC will throw more fighters at him like Rothwell and Kongo just to build his reputation and avoid fighters like Nog and Mir

Hopefully we will see Nog vs Velasquez but i think Nog and Mir will have to finish a few fights till they get to where velasquez is in the ufcs ranking to see them face off.

It was yet another bad call by Mazz.....but more of the same was coming for Ben. He had NOTHING for Cain. He should probably should be thanking Mazz really. Cain was beating him like a wife that wouldn't shut her trap and make dinner!!

i agree.. maybe Mazz stepped in a little early.. but Ben complaining about the stoppage is stupid.. he was getting completely dominated the whole fight.. never showed any sign of ever having a chance.. was getting slammed and punched all over the place.. and it was his fault to let 7-8 punches go unanswered.. he was asking for the stoppage..

"So what he was punching me, big deal, isn’t that what happens in a fight? The reality of the situation is that I was using the cage to get to my feet and which I basically did and then for some reason Steve [Mazzagatti] decides to step in. Honestly, I couldn’t believe it. I mean if the punches had some force behind them I could understand it but those were like soft jabs that didn’t hurt at all, it was like he was just hitting me to stay busy rather than damage me. That's is why I wasn't covering up – the punches didn’t hurt and definitely weren't doing any damage, at least not enough to slow me down, but then he [steve Mazzagatti] calls the fight? Please, my grandmother hits harder that that."

I tend to agree with Rothwell about the situation.

Fact: Rothwell was being dominated by Cain during the entire fight.

Fact: Rothwell was not rocked and unable to defend himself at the time of the exact moment of the stoppage.

Fact: Ben was using the cage to stand. A move that made it impossible to block the short strikes he was taking at the time of the maneuver. His decision to cage-walk cost him the fight. Rather than a legitimately dangerous strike.

I don't think Ben was going to win the fight, but he was stopped while performing a cage walk maneuver. He probably would have got immediately taken down and punished into a legitmate TKO, but Mazzi "threw in the towel" for him just a bit early.

Archived