MMA fighters that lose suck. Cheers and Boo's

Thechemicals

Unlike boxing where often you can say the loser did well but not enough to handle his victor, MMA is much more extreme in the eyes of media and fan. An mma fighter who loses and is not well known is likely a death sentence for fan sentiment. An mma fighter who is well known and loses is often drastically dropped in admiration and respect.

The reason for this is basic. Fans of MMA fighting are annoying and have poor social skills. The majority of fans are young and dumb and often the kind of guys who bully the weak and pick fights they can win. Violent and stupid and easy to manipulate. Yes manipulate. Ever wonder why the cheers and boo's are so erratic at UFC events? Its manipulation, fans are filled with adrenalin and instinctive traits, that they cant control their own reactions, hence they are governed by the moment.

The ideal group of fans that proclaim themselves to be "the right kind of mma fan" are in direct opposition to the fan type mentioned above, but they are so opposed to the behavior and attitude that they suffer from smugness and elitism. Unfortunatly they are neither elite nor the right kind of fan. They suffer the same manipulation. You can easily find these kinds of fans anywhere as they tend to boast about being in the military and post pics about their accomplishments and make coments about high school or collegiate wrestling. and on and on.

The right kind of fan doesnt exist. Its all adrenalin and hormones. Some level of technical application and respect/esteem has to be introduced into the sport otherwise it becomes a trend or the shorter life spanned fad. The evolution of fan is constant and you actually hear cheers on submissions and transitions now but still, booing for the most petty things and disrespecting of fighters who are down is the ugly part of the sport and possibly just a natural human reaction to combat.

The sport is only around to fill seats. Thats the truth. No fans, no events, lesser pool of fighters, and so on. So how long can erratic emotional behavior hold MMA?

I don;t think anyone knows what the future holds for MMA. If we go by boxing then there us bound to be a downturn in popularity. There always is.

TUF has harnassed the reality TV generation and brought them onboard, but there is no way to know how long the reality TV thing is going to last.

The only people who nothing but roses ahead for MMA are clowns like Joe Rogan who needs it to be true because otherwise he's unemployed.

Waves have a crest and the UFC is hanging ten right about now.

Unlike boxing where often you can say the loser did well but not enough to handle his victor' date=' MMA is much more extreme in the eyes of media and fan. An mma fighter who loses and is not well known is likely a death sentence for fan sentiment. An mma fighter who is well known and loses is often drastically dropped in admiration and respect.

The reason for this is basic. Fans of MMA fighting are annoying and have poor social skills. The majority of fans are young and dumb and often the kind of guys who bully the weak and pick fights they can win. Violent and stupid and easy to manipulate. Yes manipulate. Ever wonder why the cheers and boo's are so erratic at UFC events? Its manipulation, fans are filled with adrenalin and instinctive traits, that they cant control their own reactions, hence they are governed by the moment.

The ideal group of fans that proclaim themselves to be "the right kind of mma fan" are in direct opposition to the fan type mentioned above, but they are so opposed to the behavior and attitude that they suffer from smugness and elitism. Unfortunatly they are neither elite nor the right kind of fan. They suffer the same manipulation. You can easily find these kinds of fans anywhere as they tend to boast about being in the military and post pics about their accomplishments and make coments about high school or collegiate wrestling. and on and on.

The right kind of fan doesnt exist. Its all adrenalin and hormones. Some level of technical application and respect/esteem has to be introduced into the sport otherwise it becomes a trend or the shorter life spanned fad. The evolution of fan is constant and you actually hear cheers on submissions and transitions now but still, booing for the most petty things and disrespecting of fighters who are down is the ugly part of the sport and possibly just a natural human reaction to combat.

[b']The sport is only around to fill seats. Thats the truth. No fans, no events, lesser pool of fighters, and so on. So how long can erratic emotional behavior hold MMA?[/b]

Even though some of the things you said are true.. it seems you took a few small facts and somehow made it lead to MMA not lasting long as a mainstream sport.. which imo is def. not true..

i do hate it when i hear people boo.. but i think as time goes by this sport will only go up.. and the more mainstream it gets the more the fans will learn of the sport.. and eventually MOST will be educated.. and wont resort to booing because the fighters are spending time on the ground or picking there shots instead of engaging..

I agree...MMA right now is at fad status. Its that way because they gained a lot of people because of the violence. Ask people who haven't really watched the UFC before what it is and they will say its "That No-Hold-Barred Fighting Thing" and that its brutal and savage. UFC still carries the stigma from its creation, and that's what attracted a lot of new fans who really want to see someone a lot bloodier than you would see in a boxing fight. Because of this, they boo when they see 2 guys on the ground not imitating a schoolyard fight.

The sport of MMA is very very young. Boxing used to be a sport for the poor people and now its got a sort of prestige about it. MMA will attract a lot of fans who are in it for the blood and brutality, but eventually it will start gaining more attention and the days of the NHB vision will slowly go away.

When the UFC started, there were some very technical fighters, but then there were many very undisciplined fighters that ran in there and turned it into a 2-minute slugfest until someone was too tired to defend themselves. That was all changed around when you had people like Randy Couture, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, and Chuck Liddell that really revolutionized the sport and changed the way people approached a fight. Now fighters like Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida, as much as I dislike them, are further converting MMA into a science of its own. MMA will grow and the styles will evolve, and the fans will too.

Interesting post. I agree with most of what you said. MMA is geared towards a certain demographic, there is no doubt about that. My buddies and I watch a lot of the events, but our wives all HATE it. The advertising and time slots a geared towards young men. MMA fans seem to be very fickle about their fighters like you said though. Forrest Griffin went from a God to a bum after 1 bad fight, and the same is true about Machida (and he won the bad fight). Most of the fringe of a group makes the most noise. I think the wild boos and cheers come from uneducated fans. Same for the forrums. Mostly it's just the fringe of the group that make the most noise.

The evolution of fan is constant and you actually hear cheers on submissions and transitions now but still' date=' booing for the most petty things...

[/quote']

Really you think MMA fans are evolving? I have to disagree...while many long time fans have developed an appreciation for the more subtle aspects of the sport, like ground fighting, it seems to me that with it's rise in popularity and mainstream coverage and with the introduction of fighters like Lesnar and Kimbo a new kind of fan has emerged. This new breed seems to want to see two guys bang with lots of knockouts and with little interest in the technical aspects of MMA.

every sport has these fans!Evereybody likes the guy on top and when hes down there is no one around.Its life! Its hard for people that have been watching MMA for so long...its like this when u been listeing to a band since they started and when they get popular and everybody starts listening to them u feel like its not ur band anymore.Its a relative young sport as far has popularity goes. Fans will get smarter and know whats really going on....the only thing that will come and go are throse people just wanna get drunk and see someone get ****** up.MMA will be fine I just hope the cards can stay as good as they are and not turn into boxing where there is one good fight and thats the main event(and u havnt seen them fight for a about a year) and the other 2 fights are with no names.

Really you think MMA fans are evolving? I have to disagree...while many long time fans have developed an appreciation for the more subtle aspects of the sport' date=' like ground fighting, it seems to me that with it's rise in popularity and mainstream coverage and with the introduction of fighters like Lesnar and Kimbo a new kind of fan has emerged. This new breed seems to want to see two guys bang with lots of knockouts and with little interest in the technical aspects of MMA.[/quote']

Compare UFC now with 8 years ago. If a guy was taken down the attacker would be booed however now the crowd cheer for the takedown and realise transitions and cheer at that.

Compare UFC now with 8 years ago. If a guy was taken down the attacker would be booed however now the crowd cheer for the takedown and realise transitions and cheer at that.

As I said, fans who have followed the sport for some time, watched it evolve, learned about submissions, ground fighting, etc. have evolved with it...I was merely pointing out that I hear a lot more booing and see a lot more fans disinterested in the subtitles in the past year or so and stated what I believe to be some contributing.

So I'm not disagreeing with you...but I am :)

I agree...MMA right now is at fad status. Its that way because they gained a lot of people because of the violence. Ask people who haven't really watched the UFC before what it is and they will say its "That No-Hold-Barred Fighting Thing" and that its brutal and savage. UFC still carries the stigma from its creation' date=' and that's what attracted a lot of new fans who really want to see someone a lot bloodier than you would see in a boxing fight. Because of this, they boo when they see 2 guys on the ground not imitating a schoolyard fight.

The sport of MMA is very very young. Boxing used to be a sport for the poor people and now its got a sort of prestige about it. MMA will attract a lot of fans who are in it for the blood and brutality, but eventually it will start gaining more attention and the days of the NHB vision will slowly go away.

When the UFC started, there were some very technical fighters, but then there were many very undisciplined fighters that ran in there and turned it into a 2-minute slugfest until someone was too tired to defend themselves. That was all changed around when you had people like Randy Couture, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, and Chuck Liddell that really revolutionized the sport and changed the way people approached a fight. Now fighters like Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida, as much as I dislike them, are further converting MMA into a science of its own. MMA will grow and the styles will evolve, and the fans will too.[/quote']

Spot on. Couldnt have said it better. Agree completely.

The booing isn't quite as bad as it was even a year ago. I think as the fad starts to fade that the real fans of the sport will start to evolve and not become so ****y. However, it is in the American Psyche to be all about the violent knockout. Any inaction that won't result in a knockout or a submission will be booed. A great technical battle is often found to be boring here in the United States. I think it's just the way our culture is.

Take Japan as the exact opposite. You will never hear any boo's when it comes to the fighting in the ring. Part of it must be because it is socially unacceptable to be loud, obnoxious, and disrespectful. Part of it is that they seem to have a better understanding of the matches. You will hear cheering for transitions that puts a fighter in a better position or getting out of a bad position. They also love their heroes regardless of their record. Look how much they adore Sakuraba and Minowman. Both of them are fading stars, but they will always be rooted for.

As sad as I am to say this in order for a sport to grow and for these fighters to be paid more you have to capture some of these fans that just don't care about technique and are just out for blood. It is annoying to some degree because as a fan of MMA since 1997 you definitely feel a sense of ownership, like you had something that few had and even fewer understood.

But you also have to remember that fighters made a lot less back then and the government was constantly trying to shut it down. Ken Shamrock even quit fighting to join WWF claiming he was not making enough money to keep his gym afloat. Having more fans (of any kind) has helped legitimize MMA. It's no longer a sport for the purist fan or martial artist. Some events look like a hollywood who's who.

But I really don't think that has to bring the sport down. I still enjoy watching a fight as much today as ten years ago. Sometimes I get nostalgic about the old tournament style or the long drawn out battles but for the most part the sport has just gotten better over the years. Better competition, More events, and there was even an UFC here in Portland, Oregon. If MMA and in this case the UFC can find a way to keep true fans and attract new fans for whatever reason it will be good for the sport. Besides not all new fans are unappreciative of its subtleties.

I think MMA has the potential to be a huge sport and I am optimistic that as the sport evolves and these "new fans" get a few more fights under their belt( or however you put it in fan terms) you will see a greater appreciation.

Speaking of greater appreciation I think I will watch some PRide.

Unlike boxing where often you can say the loser did well but not enough to handle his victor' date=' MMA is much more extreme in the eyes of media and fan. An mma fighter who loses and is not well known is likely a death sentence for fan sentiment. An mma fighter who is well known and loses is often drastically dropped in admiration and respect.

The sport is only around to fill seats. Thats the truth. No fans, no events, lesser pool of fighters, and so on. So how long can erratic emotional behavior hold MMA?

The big letters are so true, and bold letters are very true.....

I AM AN MMA Fan, and I am glad too say Im none of the above..........

To be honest, I havent watched the UFC for more than a year. I do like the violence, but I also love the competition. The work that goes into the training and preperation for a fight is magnificent. Right now, yes it is at fad status, however, in a couple years the fans will get more educated and will love the sport instead of the violence.

Really you think MMA fans are evolving? I have to disagree...while many long time fans have developed an appreciation for the more subtle aspects of the sport' date=' like ground fighting, it seems to me that with it's rise in popularity and mainstream coverage and with the introduction of fighters like Lesnar and Kimbo a new kind of fan has emerged. This new breed seems to want to see two guys bang with lots of knockouts and with little interest in the technical aspects of MMA.[/quote']

That in itself is part of the evolution of the fan base. (evloution isn't always positive, it can be negative too) However, some of the newer fans who just watch for the violence will convert with time just as the long time fans of the sport, hence growing the base of fans who appreciate the whole package. There will always be fans who watch only to see the blood and knockouts. No different than the fact there is likely a decent percentage of fans of racing that hope to see a wreck. This is why reality TV does so well.

Chems' date=' the world is made up of 98% retarded people. Knowing this, you have to expect a high percentage of "UFC Fans" to fall into this percentile.[/quote']

Mentally challenged is more politically correct...or mental "small people" (cuz midget isn't politcally correct either)

As sad as I am to say this in order for a sport to grow and for these fighters to be paid more you have to capture some of these fans that just don't care about technique and are just out for blood. It is annoying to some degree because as a fan of MMA since 1997 you definitely feel a sense of ownership' date=' like you had something that few had and even fewer understood.

But you also have to remember that fighters made a lot less back then and the government was constantly trying to shut it down. Ken Shamrock even quit fighting to join WWF claiming he was not making enough money to keep his gym afloat. Having more fans (of any kind) has helped legitimize MMA. It's no longer a sport for the purist fan or martial artist. Some events look like a hollywood who's who.

But I really don't think that has to bring the sport down. I still enjoy watching a fight as much today as ten years ago. Sometimes I get nostalgic about the old tournament style or the long drawn out battles but for the most part the sport has just gotten better over the years. Better competition, More events, and there was even an UFC here in Portland, Oregon. If MMA and in this case the UFC can find a way to keep true fans and attract new fans for whatever reason it will be good for the sport. Besides not all new fans are unappreciative of its subtleties.

I think MMA has the potential to be a huge sport and I am optimistic that as the sport evolves and these "new fans" get a few more fights under their belt( or however you put it in fan terms) you will see a greater appreciation.

Speaking of greater appreciation I think I will watch some PRide.[/quote']

very good points.

I think the MMA fan base can best be summed up by this forum.

There are as the author says elitists who like nothing more than to go on and on about how much they know and how they were ?into it? before everyone else which really doesn?t mean jack and look down their noses at people who have less knowledge than them but are trying to learn by talking about it, and go on about the intricacies of holds and subs and pan fighters for just being better at one style even though it really doesn?t matter as long as it?s getting the job done.

And then the uneducated tough guys who call fighters that they couldn?t stand with for forty seconds cans and losers if they happen to lose a fight like this somehow writes a fighter off, who kick off and flame and call people names like noob idiot and many others if that person should dare have a differing opinion to them but probably do it from moms basement in-between learning klingon dialogue. And then normal people who just like it for what it is a damn fine sport with plenty of blood sweat and skill.

It was sadly evident in a thread I saw about some black belt beating a guy almost to death, people were shouting and screaming about the fact that the author of that thread had not said that the guy lived and being disappointed about it instead of being appalled that people like the ***** who beat him are allowed to practice martial arts.

The sport is only around to fill seats. Thats the truth. No fans, no events, lesser pool of fighters, and so on. So how long can erratic emotional behavior hold MMA?[/quote']

Thanks for the insight, Freud.

I think the MMA fan base can best be summed up by this forum.

There are as the author says elitists who like nothing more than to go on and on about how much they know and how they were ?into it? before everyone else which really doesn?t mean jack and look down their noses at people who have less knowledge than them but are trying to learn by talking about it' date=' and go on about the intricacies of holds and subs and pan fighters for just being better at one style even though it really doesn?t matter as long as it?s getting the job done.

And then the uneducated tough guys who call fighters that they couldn?t stand with for forty seconds cans and losers if they happen to lose a fight like this somehow writes a fighter off, who kick off and flame and call people names like noob idiot and many others if that person should dare have a differing opinion to them but probably do it from moms basement in-between learning klingon dialogue. And then normal people who just like it for what it is a damn fine sport with plenty of blood sweat and skill.

It was sadly evident in a thread I saw about some black belt beating a guy almost to death, people were shouting and screaming about the fact that the author of that thread had not said that the guy lived and being disappointed about it instead of being appalled that people like the ***** who beat him are allowed to practice martial arts.[/quote']

in a nutshell yes. I dont see a strong future for MMA just yet. Too much stink of a trend/fad so far. Need some real legitimacy.

Archived