Brock and his stand up

TakeDownArtist

why do people say brock has no stand up? i mean thats retarded. i mean sure he will go for the take down but look at his fights, his first fight to mir, when they where stood up, mir through a kick and brock caught it and knocked him down. fight agianst herring, first punch broke his cheek bone and sent him flying back. couture elbow skim his head thus knocking him down.

as you can see brock striking is quite good, its just that when ever he lands the hit anyone would go down and common sense for a wrestler is jump on it and dominate.

and the biggest problem i have haters, " brock has no skills, he is big and just lay on people the whole fight"

1st- "no skill" are you taking retard pills? he is a all american and a ncaa division 1 champ, thats not something they just hand out. it means your the best in the country in you weight class.

2nd- " he is just big" if size is cain should have lost, hell gracie would have never won. being big is his natrual god given advantage, would you say gsp sucks cause in all of his fights he had a reach advantage?

i mean he has not even reach his potential yet as a new fighter, but dont hate him because of what he says, hate or like him for what he is able to do as a mma fighter.

* to all the people he thinks " he talks too much crap" i think so to, but i watch ufc for the fight not what fighters say. if you want to watch people talk go watch hannah montana .

his stand up is not terrible but its not good either' date=' but he has the advantage of having a shed load of power. As long as he lands something it will have a big affect on the oppostion. What he lacks in alot of technique he makes up with power and massive ham hands.[/quote']

i totally agree, im not saying his size is not effecting his fights, but you cant depend on size alone. hopefully he learns some bjj, but his bjj defence is great as you can see in the fight with mir. he did everything he needed to for mir not to be able to hip and transition. hopefully his chin would get tested soon to see how much he can take. carwin better be able to stuff his take down, i wanna see brocks stand up.

why do people say brock has no stand up? i mean thats retarded. i mean sure he will go for the take down but look at his fights' date=' his first fight to mir, when they where stood up, mir through a kick and brock caught it and knocked him down. fight agianst herring, first punch broke his cheek bone and sent him flying back. couture elbow skim his head thus knocking him down.

as you can see brock striking is quite good, its just that when ever he lands the hit anyone would go down and common sense for a wrestler is jump on it and dominate.

and the biggest problem i have haters, " brock has no skills, he is big and just lay on people the whole fight"

1st- "no skill" are you taking retard pills? he is a all american and a ncaa division 1 champ, thats not something they just hand out. it means your the best in the country in you weight class.

2nd- " he is just big" if size is cain should have lost, hell gracie would have never won. being big is his natrual god given advantage, would you say gsp sucks cause in all of his fights he had a reach advantage?

i mean he has not even reach his potential yet as a new fighter, but dont hate him because of what he says, hate or like him for what he is able to do as a mma fighter.

* to all the people he thinks " he talks too much crap" i think so to, but i watch ufc for the fight not what fighters say. if you want to watch people talk go watch hannah montana .[/quote']

His stand up isn't good he is just powerful and that's why he stopped Randy and broke Herring's orbital bone

his stand up is not terrible but its not good either' date=' but he has the advantage of having a shed load of power. As long as he lands something it will have a big affect on the oppostion. What he lacks in alot of technique he makes up with power and massive ham hands.[/quote']

+1

Not the most technical striking, but certainly some of the most powerful.

let people hate man.....how many people can say they have 4 fights and say they are champion?All his fights were with top 10 HW...he got caught like AS got caught with the flying heel hook lol its not gonna happen like that again.

I thought Mir should have beat him but he didnt back out after he threw his shots and Brock clinched with him.

Brock is legit though i cant see anybody beating him on the ground so as for that someone needs to not get hit by him cause they will go down and stay back and throw their punches and back out and pick him apart from a distance...you will need a phenomenal wrestler to do this.

Herring and Mir was a matter of both guys expecting an immediate shot. Neither of them expected him to punch them I think. It's not terrible he's got the speed, power and he's getting the technique. But I don't know how well he'll ever be able to slip punches being so big.

All of his fights were with top 10 fighters?

Min Soo Kim is 3-6

Herring was top 15 at best

And he's had 5 fights. :)

If you have seen any of his workouts or training sessions his conditions is top notch...i was sweating from watching them lol

His conditioning is great for a guy his size, yes. But his size does affect his cardio. It's hard for oxygen to get through his muscles and stuff. It's just a fact. Great for his size, but a disadvantage to smaller fighters.

Herring and Mir was a matter of both guys expecting an immediate shot. Neither of them expected him to punch them I think. It's not terrible he's got the speed' date=' power and he's getting the technique. But I don't know how well he'll ever be able to slip punches being so big.

All of his fights were with top 10 fighters?

Min Soo Kim is 3-6

Herring was top 15 at best

And he's had 5 fights. :)[/quote']

His striking vs Mir was non-existent really. Mir's striking isn't the best in the world and he was starting to go to town on Lesnar before the flying knee.

Lesnar is just big and powerful. He lands a solid punch and it's going to hurt. But we need to see him in the later rounds.

For now, all we've seen is his ground and pound which is great, but how does he look standing up after a few rounds? I think his stand up is his Achilles heel.

His striking vs Mir was non-existent really. Mir's striking isn't the best in the world and he was starting to go to town on Lesnar before the flying knee.

Lesnar is just big and powerful. He lands a solid punch and it's going to hurt. But we need to see him in the later rounds.

For now' date=' all we've seen is his ground and pound which is great, but how does he look standing up after a few rounds? I think his stand up is his Achilles heel.[/quote']

Yeah Mir was teeing off on him before he pulled a Uriah and tried some unnecessary flashy **** and paid for it. lol.

When Brock fought Mir and Herring there was little known of what to expect. To me it looked like they were totally caught off guard with his speed and his reach as well as by the fact they were expecting him to try to take it to the ground rather than strike. I'll give his coaching staff credit for coming up with a good fight plan and to Lesnar for implementing it but his striking was far from impressive. When he fought Couture, who had a better idea of what to expect, things went very differently until Randy got caught, it happens...it was still a very sloppy display of striking.

When Brock faces a comparable sized HW who he can't bully and who has decent TD defense and striking with real KO power he's going to get KTFO...Enter Shane Carwin.

For now' date=' all we've seen is his ground and pound which is great, but how does he look standing up after a few rounds? I think his stand up is his Achilles heel.[/quote']

How he looks after standing for a few rounds? Ask Couture.

Once again people don't understand the difference between good striking skills and dangerous. Brock's stand up skills are pretty much zero. But the fact is he's huge and strong so he doesn't need to be a skilled striker to have an impact with his punch. It pretty much just needs to land. Hendo is the same way. Probably better striking skills than Brock, but regardless nothing special. But he has dynamite in his hands so it just takes one good solid shot and it's over. But technically on paper there are many far superior strikers to both of these guys. But they are both very dangerous because of their punching power.

At the end of the day though. Brock is a tool.

Once again people don't understand the difference between good striking skills and dangerous. Brock's stand up skills are pretty much zero. But the fact is he's huge and strong so he doesn't need to be a skilled striker to have an impact with his punch. It pretty much just needs to land. Hendo is the same way. Probably better striking skills than Brock' date=' but regardless nothing special.[/b'] But he has dynamite in his hands so it just takes one good solid shot and it's over. But technically on paper there are many far superior strikers to both of these guys. But they are both very dangerous because of their punching power.

At the end of the day though. Brock is a tool.

Much better striking skills than Brock.

Hendo's thing is he gets too committed to the wrong things some times and doesn't disguise his big right hand. But watch his 2nd fight with Wanderlei and you'll see very technical striking from Dan. The Vitor fight, too. He worked both of those guys, both strikers, on the feet and took them down pretty much at will.

Lesnar hasn't been KO'd in the stand up, GSP has. GSP is scared to stand up, it's only fair that Brock shouldn't have to.... and if Herring was defending from a takedown then hes not very intelligent because Brock came in with a flying knee...maybe Herring was defending from the takedown because he thought defending the takedown was the only way he could beat Brock? Well he was wrong wasn't he?

brock is just big thats why his punches hurt people, he doesnt have good striking in the sense that if he was 300llbs his punches would be a joke.

he doesnt have any striking defense that we have seen yet and doesnt throw any impressive combos.

but him in a kickboxing match and he might be able to beat some 205llbs fighters.

why do people say brock has no stand up? i mean thats retarded. i mean sure he will go for the take down but look at his fights' date=' his first fight to mir, when they where stood up, mir through a kick and brock caught it and knocked him down. fight agianst herring, first punch broke his cheek bone and sent him flying back. couture elbow skim his head thus knocking him down.

* to all the people he thinks " he talks too much crap" i think so to, but i watch ufc for the fight not what fighters say. if you want to watch people talk go watch hannah montana .[/quote']

I don't think it's a question of no stand up, but a statement of his non existent class or character. Acting like a neanderthal on an internationally broadcast event is something that automatically nullifies your belt in my book. Do I respect his talent yes, but his raging steroid breath fogging up the camera lenses is something I can tolerate for so long. None the less I look forward to the day he's defeated. Ironically I've come to realize he's the perfect villain in the UFC history book.

Anti Brock Formula:

Light on your feet

Perfect Head Movement

TAKE DOWN DEFENSE/ Evasion

Devastating kicks to the thighs and ribs in that order

Fatality Move:Let him set himself up for the submission of your choice.

It is because it is hard for the haters to look at his skills because they cannot stand his attitude or that he got to the top way to fast in their opinion. i disagree , he has skills.

He's only had 5 fights...one of which he was submitted in under 2 minutes and another where he was gassed and rocked. Don't worry' date=' we'll get to see Brock laid out very soon :)[/quote']

He has learned alot since the first Mir fight. Lets face it Mir couldn't handle Brock's wrestling, wtf can Carwin really do? You really think Carwin has better grappling than Frank Mir because of a couple pounds? Frank Mir's stand up is overrated but his ground game is great and he looked helpless in the 2nd Lesnar fight.

He has learned alot since the first Mir fight. Lets face it Mir couldn't handle Brock's wrestling' date=' wtf can Carwin really do? You really think Carwin has better grappling than Frank Mir because of a couple pounds? Frank Mir's stand up is overrated but his ground game is great and he looked helpless in the 2nd Lesnar fight.[/quote']

I agree his stand-up is not that good (Mir). It not only looked like Mir was helpless, he was helpless and could not do anything to combat what Lesnar was doing to him.. Man, Brock got him in a crucifix and he looked like a rag doll. It was like Brock was man handling a little kid or something.

Carwin is comparable in size to Brock' date=' has an impressive wrestling background and one punch KO power. Mir has none of those things.[/quote']

carwin wrestling back ground compare to lesnar is crap. carwin wrestle devision 2, brock is division one. the worst division 1 can beat the best at division 2. and brock was the ncaa division one champ. brock would take carwin down at will like he did mir, herring, and couture.

carwin wrestling back ground compare to lesnar is crap. carwin wrestle devision 2' date=' brock is division one. the worst division 1 can beat the best at division 2. and brock was the ncaa division one champ. brock would take carwin down at will like he did mir, herring, and couture.[/quote']

I agree, there are a lot of haters on here, but in reality Lesnar is the most powerful fighter the heavyweight has seen.

There are way too many Lesnar threads. I'm still shocked that people are retarded and can't spell his name right considering the thread is about Lesnar.

Yeah, Brock has only had 5 fights but look at what he's done: He's the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

The man is a NCAA Division 1 wrestler. Enough said. Yeah, Lesnar has more than size on his ground game. The way he handled Mir was perfect and that's exactly why the referee didn't stand them up. Lesnar made a BJJ expert look helpless.

His stand up, well... let's look at it... the dude broke Herring's face and sent him to the cage. He's stood up with Couture and handled it pretty well for someone with only a few MMA fights to his name. (Two fights where all he did was bang)

Brock Lesnar is still a new fighter. People are going to hate just because of who he is and where he came from.

With Lesnar and the UFC, I look at him as a fighter now. Someone who has fought some of the best in only 5 fights. (And I can careless Dana decided to put him in with the best in the beginning, that's the UFC for you)

For all of you Carwin ****s out there... yeah, I didn't see anyone talking about him until this match was annouced. I think there is more of a Carwin bandwagon.

its easy, wht he does is not call 'stand up'. it is call 'power'! ture he got skill but he is for sure not a MMA fighter! yes he is best in wreslting just not a MMA fighter. he jsut laid there and start punching in most fights, i'm sorry, that is not martial art!

also true, i believe alot of ppl hate him after UFC 100. when he said, i'm gonna go home and F**K my wife, giving everyone 'finger' around the world, and after the fight, he went and talk more trash! hey brock, u won, just go and show some respect!

and if u want to see ufc fights and not how they talk. then u r watching the wrong fighters, the good fighters are Penn, GSP, Spider and the lists go on....just not Brock!

Thats because he isn't a hw. He's a super heavyweight.

i find it funny when they talk about weight differences like the alves-st pierre fight & how big alves is..they made the same weight to fight! lesner has to make 265 when his opponents are comin in 20-30-40 lbs lighter! & then he gets back to his natural weight of 285 or more to fight! there should be hw & shw in my opinion cause it's getting rediculous

its easy' date=' wht he does is not call 'stand up'. it is call 'power'! ture he got skill but he is for sure not a MMA fighter! yes he is best in wreslting just not a MMA fighter. he jsut laid there and start punching in most fights, i'm sorry, that is not martial art!

also true, i believe alot of ppl hate him after UFC 100. when he said, i'm gonna go home and F**K my wife, giving everyone 'finger' around the world, and after the fight, he went and talk more trash! hey brock, u won, just go and show some respect!

and if u want to see ufc fights and not how they talk. then u r watching the wrong fighters, the good fighters are Penn, GSP, Spider and the lists go on....just not Brock![/quote']

i personally like it when a fighter has something to say.. & brock sayin" he had ahorseshoe up his ****..i pull'd the damn thing out & beat em over the head w/ it!!" made me almost wet myself! "i'm drinkin coors light cause budlight don't pay me nothin' i am not a brock **** but come on..? that's funny he did'nt say "****"his wife..gettin in mir's bloody face ****in piss'd me off but the rest crack'd me up

jeff83 "lesnar made a bjj expert look helpless" that is a huge point! that was mirs world & lesnar dominated him..i think lesnar is going to be a freak in his next fight.. i think when carwin & him fight that will be when i start to settle in to him being the legit champ w/ mma skill.. if he wins that is

jeff83 "lesnar made a bjj expert look helpless" that is a huge point! that was mirs world & lesnar dominated him..i think lesnar is going to be a freak in his next fight.. i think when carwin & him fight that will be when i start to settle in to him being the legit champ w/ mma skill.. if he wins that is

Maybe, but im pretty sure most Brock haters will just say "Carwin was overrated, he hasn't beat anyone and his wrestling defense sucks".

There are way too many Lesnar threads. I'm still shocked that people are retarded and can't spell his name right considering the thread is about Lesnar.

Yeah' date=' Brock has only had 5 fights but look at what he's done: He's the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

The man is a NCAA Division 1 wrestler. Enough said. Yeah, Lesnar has more than size on his ground game. The way he handled Mir was perfect and that's exactly why the referee didn't stand them up. Lesnar made a BJJ expert look helpless.

His stand up, well... let's look at it... the dude broke Herring's face and sent him to the cage. He's stood up with Couture and handled it pretty well for someone with only a few MMA fights to his name. (Two fights where all he did was bang)

Brock Lesnar is still a new fighter. People are going to hate just because of who he is and where he came from.

With Lesnar and the UFC, I look at him as a fighter now. Someone who has fought some of the best in only 5 fights. (And I can careless Dana decided to put him in with the best in the beginning, that's the UFC for you)

For all of you Carwin ****s out there... yeah, I didn't see anyone talking about him until this match was annouced. I think there is more of a Carwin bandwagon.[/quote']

+ 1 million.

Sums up everything I feel about Lesnar and Carwin. Great post.

Wow. I have no respect for the man. I'll give the man a little cred but come on. He had 4 fights and then got a title shot. There were plenty of others who deserved it, Dana White just wants to use him a marketing ploy. He's huge - yes; Strong - no doubt; but to say he's a mixed-martial artist is ridiculous. Anyone who was in the WWF or WWE and then gets a UFC contract is suddenly a mixed-martial artist? Call me a hater, I don't care. When Carwin gets the chance to fight the vanilla gorilla, Lesnar's going down.

Yeah' date=' Brock has only had 5 fights but look at what he's done: He's the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

For all of you Carwin ****s out there... yeah, I didn't see anyone talking about him until this match was annouced. I think there is more of a Carwin bandwagon.[/quote']

So you've followed him ever since his NCAA days??????? Or maybe you've jumped on the "Lesnar bandwagon". Just because no one was talking about Carwin before doesn't mean nobody liked him. Lesnar's a ****. Most of the MMAs are quite humble (Hughes, GSP, Couture, Griffin) but all he does is talk **** and for someone who just started that's not cool. His day will come. Very soon.

You cannot realistically make Lesnar fight a whole bunch of qualifiers.

He is bigger PPVwise than the UFC.

Why should he take on nobodies who arent even adding to the gate?

Carwin should be thanking his lucky stars Lesnar is even agreeinf to step in with him. PPVwise Carwin is a boat anchor. Lesnar could make way more fighting Kurt Angle FFS.

Wow. I have no respect for the man. I'll give the man a little cred but come on. He had 4 fights and then got a title shot. There were plenty of others who deserved it' date=' Dana White just wants to use him a marketing ploy. He's huge - yes; Strong - no doubt; but to say he's a mixed-martial artist is ridiculous. Anyone who was in the WWF or WWE and then gets a UFC contract is suddenly a mixed-martial artist? Call me a hater, I don't care. When Carwin gets the chance to fight the vanilla gorilla, Lesnar's going down.[/quote']

Did he get a title shot too early?

Absolutely.

Regardless, he won the belt.

So was it such a bad call to give him a title shot..when the man can actually win the belt?

In most other cases, if you just throw a guy in there with minimal experience a champion would destroy him. Brock is not a typical man, and he is the exception to the rule.

Sure he was shot to the top because of his fame, but I also believe Dana knew he could win.

Brock has fought everyone UFC has thrown at him.

WWE bias...you need to just get over that. WWE has nothing to do with anything.

Brock is a legit wrestler, and a freak of nature. People can hate on him all day long, but everyone knows hes the man to beat. Make excuses that he wins because of his size or his wrestling technique that no one likes, but thats not Brocks problem its his opponents.

Brock is the baddest SOB in the UFC and we all know that. Some people just hate the fact.

Everytime i read about Brock im always reading how he has no skill or technique etc etc.. What people need to remember is Lesner has not had any fight experience before entering the ufc ( except kim song or whatever his name) and has been thrown into the deep end against MMA fighters who have fought all there lives. I cant think of anyone else in this life time who could enter the ufc with no fight experience, have 4 or 5 fights and be ufc heavy weight champion? So for a bloke that has no "so called skill or technique" hes going "ok" to say the least lol.. Brock is extremely new to mma and look what he's accomplished already! I'm afraid to say it but Brock Lesner will only get better & better.

Brock has terrible standup, randy was picking him apart, and randys striking has never been his best feature. With that being said, brock has enormous hands, and tons of power in them, if he learns how to throw a proper punch, maybe he will start knocking people out on their feet, rather then beating their brains in when they fall to the ground or get taken down. Im really looking forward to watching Carwain knock brock the fu ck out!!!

Brock has terrible standup' date=' randy was picking him apart, and randys striking has never been his best feature. With that being said, brock has enormous hands, and tons of power in them, if he learns how to throw a proper punch, maybe he will start knocking people out on their feet, rather then beating their brains in when they fall to the ground or get taken down. Im really looking forward to watching Carwain knock brock the fu ck out!!![/quote']

your not being realistic, how is he going to knock him out when the obvious game plan for brock would be ground and pound? and carwin is not defending brocks takedown.

the only way carwin would win, if some how by that fight he turns to a ncaa division 1 wrestler.

honestly people who say his stand up sucks is stupid, we can not say anything about his stand up since he never really used, it. its like saying machida has terrible bjj, but have never been on his back.

People MIX MARTIAL ART is combining different forms of fighting, wrestling is one, bjj is one (he does not know bjj offense only defense which was clearly display in the mir 2 fight), and he now is practicing kick boxing. hell even when he was in wwe he trained his cardio with boxing.

and you do not need to be humble to kick some one **** or be the best, agian look at muhamad ali. some one needs to be the bad guy in ufc, and sure you can hate him for his words, and he can be your ufc bad guy, but do not for one second think he is not a true mma fighter.

Archived