Found this really interesting

Rakenshi1243

http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/03/70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty/?icid=main|aimzones|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2F2009%2F11%2F03%2F70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty%2F

It put a smile on my face, not going to lie. I'll summarize the whole article with a single statement.

"The latest Army statistics show a stunning 70 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law."

LOL, brilliant!

http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/03/70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty/?icid=main|aimzones|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2F2009%2F11%2F03%2F70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty%2F

It put a smile on my face' date=' not going to lie. I'll summarize the whole article with a single statement.

"The latest Army statistics show a stunning 70 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law."

LOL, brilliant![/quote']

Very sad, but not at all suprising

2 comments... I'm in the Army, have been for 8 years now. I was not exactly what you consider a gem coming out of high school. Never really had any trouble with the law, but was raised in a strict catholic, military family, so I had plenty of rebelious intent for authority. Did not get the best grades in school, I am a classic, textbook example of an under achiever. Had a pot smoking habit, and a drinking problem. Never had a problem with weight though, I was a 3 sports a school year athlete that was 6'3" and teetered between 200-215 lbs.

What's the point of me telling you that? I'll tell you, because I still made it into the Army. I have seen a decline in the quality of people coming into the Army over 8 years, but I don't think that it's a generational problem. It's just what happens when the same people who readily volunteered to serve have been deployed and away from their families 6 out of the last 8 years. They get tired of the lifestyle and move onto other things. So, now they lower standards to fill ranks and with that comes worse and worse quality people/soldiers.

It's probablly the old man growing inside of me but there is definitely a lack of discipline that comes with the younger generations but there will always be those who shine through. Losers will always be losers, and winners go out and get **** done. I guess thats what happens when you let kids raise themsleves with cell phones, the internet, and video games.

Thing is, for the past 50+ years each generation has been told that in order to succeed we need to go to do well in school and go to college and get a real job and contribute to society. Because of this mentality, most people do not give the military a thought. I also believe that at this time, because it appears that the military is attempting a downsizing, they've been putting increased standards to garner acceptance in the military.

If they issue another draft, don't worry, it'll take photos of you doing unspeakable things (like moving to Canada) to get out of joining the military.

It put a smile on my face' date=' not going to lie. I'll summarize the whole article with a single statement.

LOL, brilliant![/quote']

Thats like really sad :( But not surprising, this is the united states and we are makeing a bad name for ourselves

Thing is' date=' for the past 50+ years each generation has been told that in order to succeed we need to go to do well in school and go to college and get a real job and contribute to society. Because of this mentality, most people do not give the military a thought. I also believe that at this time, because it appears that the military is attempting a downsizing, they've been putting increased standards to garner acceptance in the military.

If they issue another draft, don't worry, it'll take photos of you doing unspeakable things (like moving to Canada) to get out of joining the military.[/quote']

Not I friend. ;) Every male has a Federal obligation of 8 years of service if the draft was to activate, unless you have a debilitating condition, or have served and retired. I served 8 years and also cannot continue service because of medical conditions caused by the Army anyways.

Wasn't trying to be smug, I actually think that the USA should adopt a Conscription Act like South Korea has where every male has to serve atleast 4 years in the military at some point in their 20's.

Not I friend. ;) Every male has a Federal obligation of 8 years of service if the draft was to activate' date=' unless you have a debilitating condition, or have served and retired. I served 8 years and also cannot continue service because of medical conditions caused by the Army anyways.

[b']Wasn't trying to be smug, I actually think that the USA should adopt a Conscription Act like South Korea has where every male has to serve atleast 4 years in the military at some point in their 20's[/b].

I'd be damned if I'm force into the armed forces, considering I'll be working my **** off in school to help the local community.

I know for a fact that I can help better here in the states than being bitter overseas.

I'd be damned if I'm force into the armed forces' date=' considering I'll be working my **** off in school to help the local community.

I know for a fact that I can help better here in the states than being bitter overseas.[/quote']

You can go to school in the Army :P. I know what you're saying, but simple fact remains that the over whelming majority of young males in the US would be more productive with 4 years of service in their 20's. Also, just because you're in the military, it doesnt absolutely mean that you'll be in Iraq or Afghanistan.

You can go to school in the Army :P. I know what you're saying' date=' but simple fact remains that the over whelming majority of young males in the US would be more productive with 4 years of service in their 20's. Also, just because you're in the military, it doesnt absolutely mean that you'll be in Iraq or Afghanistan.[/quote']

I can agree that most people in their 20's need better discipline, or just don't have the motivation required to be successful.

But for those such as myself who are motivated, the armed forces would just be a waste of time. What can it teach me that I don't already know?

I can agree that most people in their 20's need better discipline' date=' or just don't have the motivation required to be successful.

But for those such as myself who are motivated, the armed forces would just be a waste of time. What can it teach me that I don't already know?[/quote']

I'm sure there are plenty of things that you don't know, which you would learn in the Army. Like how to react to an explosion in a civil conflict and contain the situation. But I'm sure you'll just say that you'd run away or let the law handle it.:P

If you're a winner, my comments aren't directed at you. I know speaking for myself, I have a wealth of knowledge that I gained from military service in my early adulthood. Plus, free college, medical benefits for life, and a garaunteed home loan. It's not for everyone though, so meh...

I'm sure there are plenty of things that you don't know' date=' which you would learn in the Army. Like how to react to an explosion in a civil conflict and contain the situation. But I'm sure you'll just say that you'd run away or let the law handle it.:P

If you're a winner, my comments aren't directed at you. I know speaking for myself, I have a wealth of knowledge that I gained from military service in my early adulthood. Plus, free college, medical benefits for life, and a garuanteed home loan. It's not for everyone though, so meh...[/quote']

Exactly :P, let trained Law Officers handle any conflicts like that.

I will do my part in the community though, unfortunately the armed forces is just not for me.

Exactly :P' date=' let trained Law Officers handle any conflicts like that.

I will do my part in the community though, unfortunately the armed forces is just not for me.[/quote']

That is perfectly understandable. Not everyone is motivated to succeed early on in life though. Also, many that are driven early are for the wrongs reasons. IMO success is only as far away as you're willing to reach.

Back on topic, kids these days are lazy and fat. :P

Archived