Who is the GREATEST fighter to ever LIVE?

Amun

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The conventional wisdom is that Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter of all time. The problem with Roy Jones Jr is the lack of opponents. He didnt really fight anyone great until he got Hopkins and Toney. So his record has the Tyson sort of feel to it. Its a great record against some pretty forgettable opponents.

Spot on. Although i enjoyed watching him fight, he did not fight many of the boxing 'greats'. But it was fun the way he dismantled alot of fighters.

The conventional wisdom is that Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter of all time. The problem with Roy Jones Jr is the lack of opponents. He didnt really fight anyone great until he got Hopkins and Toney. So his record has the Tyson sort of feel to it. Its a great record against some pretty forgettable opponents.
I'm not sold on how well Robinson would do against a more modern day fighter like Jones. I don't think the standard of athlete was not as high in those days. I can just watch Jones fight and see that he was the best.

I think Anderson Silva is probably the worlds most talented "well rounded" fighter nowadays though.

I'm not sold on how well Robinson would do against a more modern day fighter like Jones. I don't think the standard of athlete was not as high in those days. I can just watch Jones fight and see that he was the best.

I think Anderson Silva is probably the worlds most talented "well rounded" fighter nowadays though.

There is always the question of how good older atheletes were in comparison to todays atheletes.

On the other hand Robinson was 85-0 with 69 KOs as an ameteur, and retired in 52 with a pro record of 131-3-1-1.

Nobody today is going to ever fight that many fights. And a whole bunch of them were title fights.

I never saw Sugar Ray. The best I ever saw with my own eyes was probably Roy Jones. He is a worthy candidate for best osf all time, but so is Sugar Ray.

Mayweather is also in the mix.

Excellent question and excellent responses so far (except the pro wrestlers, of course).

"to ever LIVE" is the hard part. Are we talking warriors here or simply pro fighters? Because Musashi comes to mind. I'll keep it at pro fighters though.

Jack Johnson is definitely up there. See "Unforgivable Blackness" before you cast him aside. Amazing life story.

Sugar Ray Robinson is a good pick, but not sure if I'd agree on him going past the Top Ten.

Ali makes the Top Five on pure heart.

MMA fighters - I think it's generational, pure and simple. The sport's evolved too much and fighters are masters of so many disciplines now. Gracie would certainly be a leading name, although I'd probably lean toward Helio, since he started it all.

This generation: Silva's certainly an artist, but his career isn't over yet, so I don't feel like it's fair to pick him. Ditto for Shogun. Couture is definitely the journeyman choice, even if his record doesn't reflect it in the L column. Not sure if the "greatest" should necessarily be a man who's gone undefeated. If so, that really narrows the choices.

I like to think there's somebody out there whose name will never be known except locally. A guy who just beats the snot out of anybody and everybody who challenges him, but never calls attention to himself, just goes about his life and kicks every **** that tries to kick his. Maybe he's a martial artist, maybe he's just a natural fighter. That's the guy I'm voting for - the guy we'll never know.

Again, there's no true answer which makes this a great question.

Excellent question and excellent responses so far (except the pro wrestlers' date=' of course).

"to ever LIVE" is the hard part. Are we talking warriors here or simply pro fighters? Because Musashi comes to mind. I'll keep it at pro fighters though.

Jack Johnson is definitely up there. See "Unforgivable Blackness" before you cast him aside. Amazing life story.

Sugar Ray Robinson is a good pick, but not sure if I'd agree on him going past the Top Ten.

Ali makes the Top Five on pure heart.

MMA fighters - I think it's generational, pure and simple. The sport's evolved too much and fighters are masters of so many disciplines now. Gracie would certainly be a leading name, although I'd probably lean toward Helio, since he started it all.

This generation: Silva's certainly an artist, but his career isn't over yet, so I don't feel like it's fair to pick him. Ditto for Shogun. Couture is definitely the journeyman choice, even if his record doesn't reflect it in the L column. Not sure if the "greatest" should necessarily be a man who's gone undefeated. If so, that really narrows the choices.

[b']I like to think there's somebody out there whose name will never be known except locally. A guy who just beats the snot out of anybody and everybody who challenges him, but never calls attention to himself, just goes about his life and kicks every **** that tries to kick his. Maybe he's a martial artist, maybe he's just a natural fighter. That's the guy I'm voting for - the guy we'll never know.[/b]

Again, there's no true answer which makes this a great question.

That guy would be my brother, at least where I'm from. He had very little training in Martial Arts, but what he did learn he used like a pro. He just has a natural ability to take people will's in fights. He's fast and very strong, being about 5'10" 185ish, many people underestimate him.

He gets my vote because I have seen him single handedly tear 4 people apart, at the same time, by himself. On more then one occasion. Too bad he got into so much trouble with the law when he was younger or maybe he would've went somewhere in the fight world.

GSP. by far. Best pound for pound guy out there. If he weighted what Silva walks around at or what fedor is and still had his speed and skills (which is what P4P means) he would whoop any of em.

Um, your knowledge of P4P is pathetic. P4P does not imply a size increase while maintaining speed and skills. To assume that one maintains their identical skillset and speed while putting on 60 pounds is hilarious. P4P is a theoretical way to eliminate weight from the discussion, you noob, not add it. P4P isn't a methodology to grow smaller fighters to HW proportion, whilst allowing them to maintain speed and skill.

P4P is the stupidest concept ever created in combat sports anyway. It's a way for anyone other than a HW to be included in a discussion. Guaranteed it was some hack who weighs 130 that created the term.

Xhojin's lack of knowledge aside, the best fighter in MMA history ever, P4P (fart noise) or otherwise is Fedor Emelianenko.

P4P does not imply a size increase while maintaining speed and skills. To assume that one maintains their identical skillset and speed while putting on 60 pounds is hilarious. P4P is a theoretical way to eliminate weight from the discussion' date=' you noob, not add it. P4P isn't a methodology to grow smaller fighters to HW proportion, whilst allowing them to maintain speed and skill.

P4P is the stupidest concept ever created in combat sports anyway. It's a way for anyone other than a HW to be included in a discussion. Guaranteed it was some hack who weighs 130 that created the term.[/quote']

Deleted the undesirable part of the above, but would agree 95%. People read too much into P4P, and also competely misunderstand what it means. There is no reasonable expectation that IF BJ Penn we 250Lbs instead of his 170, or whatever he walks around at, that he would be able to do the same things physically. Most likely not. So to say "if BJ were the same size as Brock he'd kick his ****" is a moronic statement.

P4P is simply meant to say that size difference aside, so and so is the best fighter, not specifically head to head, just in skill set etc...does in no way imply the best P4P labelled fighter could beat the others in the discussion cuz in some cases that would be a tall order.

I'd agree with the Bruce Lee comments. Also agree some of the current crop of MMA fighters need a few more years to complete their resume...Silva, GSP. Sorry, but Fedor just hasn't impressed me...damn good fighter, but....

Deleted the undesirable part of the above' date=' but would agree 95%. People read too much into P4P, and also competely misunderstand what it means. There is no reasonable expectation that IF BJ Penn we 250Lbs instead of his 170, or whatever he walks around at, that he would be able to do the same things physically. Most likely not. So to say "if BJ were the same size as Brock he'd kick his ****" is a moronic statement.

P4P is simply meant to say that size difference aside, so and so is the best fighter, not specifically head to head, just in skill set etc...does in no way imply the best P4P labelled fighter could beat the others in the discussion cuz in some cases that would be a tall order.

I'd agree with the Bruce Lee comments. Also agree some of the current crop of MMA fighters need a few more years to complete their resume...Silva, GSP. Sorry, but Fedor just hasn't impressed me...damn good fighter, but....[/quote']

Nicely said. I can't believe somebody just said that about P4P. See, Xhojin fires off on here regularly, and talks blatant smack. We've had some flares before, so this is just my way of digging back. I know it's childish and uncalled for - call it a guilty pleasure of UFC.com, and that alone.

Agreed that Silva, and GSP both have at least 3-5 dominating wins to cement their legacy, especially when compared to Fedor. How you aren't impressed by the Last Emp, is beyond me. Even blatant Fedor haters would never say that. They may argue his competition, but never his impressiveness as a fighter. Hopefully you were implying competition, which I'd love to hear the logic of.

Deleted the undesirable part of the above' date=' but would agree 95%. People read too much into P4P, and also competely misunderstand what it means. There is no reasonable expectation that IF BJ Penn we 250Lbs instead of his 170, or whatever he walks around at, that he would be able to do the same things physically. Most likely not. So to say "if BJ were the same size as Brock he'd kick his ****" is a moronic statement.

[/quote']

I'll quote you since Exodus is has time and again proven his ignorance and antagonistic nature that really, nothing he says has any merit.

The second paragraph is exactly what my point was. That a P4P fighter is one of the best regardless of size. As in if everyone was magically the same size, or if magically size played no role in fighting, who would be best.

I also have to say, the whoel P4P rankings is retarded and unrealistic because size DOES play a HUGE role in fighting, no matter what Gracies say.

jones jr has beat every body in every class he boxed in except for 3 guys i think chuck matt hughes,rich franklin them three are my pick just becuase a fighter loses people have to switch to the ones that are winning that is not a real fan if you ask me i think fedor needs to come to the ufc then we will see how good he is they pick his fights i think he is scared we will see that fedor aint that good

jones jr has beat every body in every class he boxed in except for 3 guys i think chuck matt hughes,rich franklin them three are my pick just becuase a fighter loses people have to switch to the ones that are winning that is not a real fan if you ask me i think fedor needs to come to the ufc then we will see how good he is they pick his fights i think he is scared we will see that fedor aint that good of a fighter

In all honesty and being as I am 100% bias to Thai Boxing I have to go with this guy

Yodsaenklai Fairtex a.k.a. Yod (Thai: ยอดแสนไกล แฟร์เท๊กซ; born, July 1, 1985) is the reigning Super welterweight WBC Muay Thai World champion at 154 lb and former three time Lumpinee Stadium champion in the 112 and 147 lb weight classes. He trains out of Fairtex Gym in Pattaya, Thailand[1] and is the first champion of The Contender Asia.

He was nicknamed "The Boxing Computer" by Thai sports newspapers as a testament to his perfect fighting technique.[2

He is 25 years old and has a 165 wins 66 losses and 4 draws with 66 KO's

And if I wan't afraid of the Ban Hammer I would post some of his sick azz fights!

Nicely said. I can't believe somebody just said that about P4P. See' date=' Xhojin fires off on here regularly, and talks blatant smack. We've had some flares before, so this is just my way of digging back. [b']I know it's childish and uncalled for[/b] - call it a guilty pleasure of UFC.com, and that alone.

Agreed that Silva, and GSP both have at least 3-5 dominating wins to cement their legacy, especially when compared to Fedor. How you aren't impressed by the Last Emp, is beyond me. Even blatant Fedor haters would never say that. They may argue his competition, but never his impressiveness as a fighter. Hopefully you were implying competition, which I'd love to hear the logic of.

The bold part: you finally said something intelligent. I am amazed.

The only legitimate argument that Fedor does not deserve the hype or p4p ranking he has is because times change and the sport is evolving so fast that the greats of yesterday are not that great by today's standards. So, Fedor beating all the old greats back in the day (yes, back in the day isn't that many years ago in MMA) doesn't necessarily translate into him being great by today's standards. Fedors most recent fights have been against either very sup par opponents, or people in a weight class under him (surely even you can agree with this). That's why it is hard to some people to place Fedor in such esteemed standing. The game has improved, but Fedor hasn't fought anyone remarkable since the game leaped ahead.

Note well: I didn't say this is MY stance. I said it's the one argument that I can see and accept that actually carries any weight as to why Fedor doesn't deserve the awe he gets.

Archived