Worst early stoppages in the UFC

ufcfreak13

GSP vs. Serra 2

Vera vs. Werdum

Velasquez vs. Rothwell

Sadollah vs. Hendricks

Shane Nelson vs.Aaron Riley

are the first ones that come to my mind.

i dont see why rothwell vs cain v was debatable. great refereeing. ben was told that he wasnt gonna allow him to be hit like that and what do you know....cain started teeing off again and again and he wasnt doing a damn thing about it. for the sake of his mental being that was a good stoppage. we all know what would have happened anyways. cain wouldve just kept dropping bombs. its not like ben was going to come back. he was never even in the fight to begin with

also gsp vs serra 2 i can disagree with. serra was so vulnerable leaving himself hunched over in such a bad position and had no way to defend any of those knees and strikes. there was nothing he could do at that point other then to eat punches and knees. i mean what else can you do but sitting there taking knees and punches to the face in any fight is by no means intelligently defending yourself.

i dont see why rothwell vs cain v was debatable. great refereeing. ben was told that he wasnt gonna allow him to be hit like that and what do you know....cain started teeing off again and again and he wasnt doing a damn thing about it. for the sake of his mental being that was a good stoppage. we all know what would have happened anyways. cain wouldve just kept dropping bombs. its not like ben was going to come back. he was never even in the fight to begin with

also gsp vs serra 2 i can disagree with. serra was so vulnerable leaving himself hunched over in such a bad position and had no way to defend any of those knees and strikes. there was nothing he could do at that point other then to eat punches and knees. i mean what else can you do but sitting there taking knees and punches to the face in any fight is by no means intelligently defending yourself.

I think the ref should have allowed Rothwell to continue based on the fact that he in my opinion was recovering and standing back up. I believe that Cain would have still won the fight though. The GSP Serra fight I believed was stopped to early, were the knees hurting Serra? Of course they were but there was very little time left in the round and Serra could have lasted. I don't think a fight should be stopped with body shots unless they like totally put you out ie. Franklin vs. Hamill. But even at that Franklin still GnP'd Hamill for a solid finish...

The GSP Serra fight I believed was stopped to early' date=' were the knees hurting Serra? Of course they were but there was very little time left in the round and Serra could have lasted.QUOTE']

Yea he could have lasted. With a few broken ribs at the end of the round.

Excellent stoppage.

St-Pierre Vs. Serra II wasn't an early stoppage. Serra was being beaten. Literally beaten. You don't let those kinds of beatings continue... they're too brutal... you know' date=' like a beating.[/quote']

I realize that he was taking a beating but there was 15 seconds left in the round and the majority of the shots were knees to the body. Matt said he was fine but I guess almost every fighter says that after a tko loss

Henderson vs Bisping

Lol, you tis cruel.

No way was Serra vs GSP II stopped early. That was an excellent call, Serra was getting battered and was in no way able to escape from that position or defend himself while in it.

Riley vs Nelson was probably the worst I have ever seen. There have been plenty of questionable stoppages - you know the ones where Rogan and Goldberg always say "Well you have to trust the referee and protect the fighters - but that one from 96 was just ridiculous.

shane nelson vs aaron reilly' date=' definitely. I mean it wasnt a big fight so its not going to get much recognition but that was the worst stoppage EVER.[/quote']

Ya the Nelson/Riley one has to be one of the worst ever. No way was GSP/Serra II stopped early. Serra was getting absolutely hammered on and not defending himself at all. He was laying there with his hands over his head and eating viscous knees to the body.

I realize that he was taking a beating but there was 15 seconds left in the round and the majority of the shots were knees to the body. Matt said he was fine but I guess almost every fighter says that after a tko loss

The amount of time left in the round has no baring on the stoppage IMO. If you look at Serra during those knees, he basically quit - his body language said that. He wasn't trying to defend then knees, but was just waiting for the ref to step in. This is a perfect example when strikes to the body can stop a fight. Yeah, he may have lasted the 15 seconds, but like previously noted, he would have had a few broken ribs.

PS I loved this fight because it showed the lack of overall skill Serra has. The guy didn't even deserve to carry the belt, and he deserved to get B$@!# Slapped!!!

I would agree with every one except the GSP vs. Serra 2. Serra was getting destroyed and I think Serra may have verbally tapped' date=' at least that is what it looked like.[/quote']

I think you're right, I think he did verbally quit.

Did I mention I loved seeing him get his @#$ handed to him? LMFAO

Archived