My First Fight?

dairzy_horne

hello everyone,

id like your opinion on something.

im an obssessed MMA fan ive been watch all the MMA i can for the past 12 months and visualy studied the moves used ( BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Striking).

ive been only doing BJJ and MMA for abit over a month now and im enjoying it greatly and after BJJ which goes for an hour i do an hour and a half session off MMA training. and by the time next year that i wanna fight i should be 2 stripes on my white belt ( cant get blue until im 18)

ive been doing this for a month.

this is what im thinking, i want to have my first MMA fight because im really keen to do this in the future and i want as much experience as possible and i think having my first fight would be a great learning exsperience.

im planning on starting up early next year ( maybe jan, feb or march) so i can get some solid couple of monthes of training ( also at home i have a punching bag which i train with alot)

im motivated im 15 turning 16 in may im 5'10 and 136 pounds so im pretty skinny but ive got good strength and athletic ability for my weight and height.

so should i try and fight so soon with very little to no experience?

oh by the way i live in australia where there is NO wrestling at all and MMA isnt that popular sport.

Well imo you should have posted this outside the ufc ;p And if you want to fight join a MMA gym and they will evaluate you and hook you up with some ameture competion. My gym is very good at judging if a guys ready and finding him an opponent, however at 32 now i dont like pain so i just train and watch ;p

Wrong thread for the forum,

That out of the way, you relly need to start bulking up if you want to be a serious contender for anything, a strong mix of cardio and lifting should put 20 pounds of muscle on you in about 6 months if your really motivated to get there. Also you need to remember EVERY fight starts on the feet so a good striking game is a requirement, see about going to a MT gym or fight school that also teaches BJJ. You also might consider joining the freshman/JV or whatever wrestling team, keep you grades high so you can wrestle and get the practic eo fwhat it is like to be in competition with another person, wrestling will also give you more size and stamina for fighting.

I'm not sure where you live but most states don't allow any sort of striking until the age of 18, so you'll be limited to grappling matches. (which are great for cage experience) In KY and OH they are a single 5 minute round and you win by getting 3 submissions first or by having more submissions than the other guy by the end of the round. But if I were you, I would find a local gym with a MMA program, get into some classes, roll with some guys your own size for a while and see how you feel, and then start looking for competitions once you're ready. Also, at your age, high school wrestling programs are an awesome way to get in shape and add some tools to your fight game. Plus it's pretty much FREE. Take advantage while you can and good luck. Training at 26, I wish I had found this sport at your age.

edit: I just noticed that you added that you live in Australia and don't have access to a wrestling program. hmm... MMA might not be popular but I'd imagine that you guys still have traditional martial arts programs all over the place. Maybe look into combat programs like Krav Maga, Kempo or Hapkido or something, and look for Sambo and BJJ programs as well. Learn as much as you can and continue to build your arsonal. You are only 15 years old and you have all he time in the world.

Im 19 and i can relate to your thread! i recently had my first Pro fight!

The one thing i would say would be to get BJJ and stand up experience in an amatuer form you can e.g BJJ tournament or kickboxing fights!

i personally went straight into a cage fight without an amatuer experience or in all honestly any fight experience! Although i won, it was huge shock and i was completly overwhelming and i strongly recommend that u gain some experience to get to know the pace, intensity of competition and even to know your own body! (e.g how much you can take, how much cardio u have naturally, how u react in the fight) there all important things you much rather have an understanding of before u have your first fight then when your in the cage!

Also...the amatuer experience will help u relax and will improve your movement/decisions around the cage! which will stop you gettin gassed in the first 3 minutes like u typically see in lower level organisations!

IMO at your age just drill drill drill techneque(BJJ and stand up) the size and cardio will come and u can deal with a little later in terms of specifically adjusting it for a fight!! how often do you see Anderson or Machida smashing the weights...Yes there nessasary of course they are but at your age drilling techneque will really help it become instinctive which will help u 100000000 times more in the future then sheer muscle will!

I hope this helped...this is just my thoughts from what i experience! Good luck man!

I dont know where you live. but If its in the NorthEast area, look at NewBreed fighting. Its an amatuer venue that would be a big help to you.

Also look into doing Grappling Tournaments.. Honestly.... NAGA is where its at.. Try to enter a NAGA tourny, and see how you do under that pressure.

he said he lives in Australia....read.

dude, you should not be doing any full contact MMA at 15 or 16, and with such limited experience.

you're gonna get hurt. it takes months before you're probably ready for just a grappling tourney (your teacher decides that). and most reputable striking/boxing coaches don't let you full-on spar until at least 6 months (unless you are some kind of prodigy). You can really get hurt if you aren't up to snuff on your timing and distance with striking, and your defense and angles (things you can't learn from hitting a standing punching bag).

let your teachers and coaches guide you....but let me just tell you about myself...as i am in similar situation as you.

Now, I'm 32 and have no interest in competing or in tournaments....but I do care about fitness, self-defense, confidence, and learning a skill.

I wrestled in junior-high and high school for a few years....and got some occasional training from boxing buddies in college...some light sparring, but not much. I've been a heavy bag NUT for about 10 years. I have decent form for power and speed.

so i joined a really great MMA gym in my city about 2 months ago. Our teacher is highly trained in multiple skills: black belt in Judo (ranked among the top in the world), black belt in Japanese Jujitsu, purple belt in BJJ but certified by the WBJJA to instruct BJJ as his Judo and japanese Jujitsu gives him knowledge of the bulk of the BJJ techniques (and he recently won grand champion -senior class - at a BJJ competition in Brazil).

we also have a very solid boxing teacher and 2 MMA pros fighting out of our gym.

so i've trained in boxing/muay thai, Judo, and BJJ for about 2 months.

Last week, I thought i would go ahead and spar with our pro MMA guy for 5 minutes, going only about 20% power...and just see how i fared.

i thought with my current training....plus my wrestling past, sparring a little and learning from guys in college, and hitting those bags for year....i would be able to handle myself.

HE BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME.

I was so over-matched, it was comical. he was cracking me in the face at will....i couldn't defend. he cracked me in jaw at one point-my mouth piece went flying and i felt my jaw nearly crack. saw stars. backed up, and shook my head. he could have broken my jaw and sent me to dreamland if that was a serious punch. I tried keeping him back with some thai kicks....he blasted my quads right back. tried to clinch, he flipped me and had me in a rear-naked in about 10 seconds.

that was enough.

I am far from being ready to full contact spar with anyone, let alone a pro.

think long and hard before you attempt to get in a cage with anyone.

get some grappling tourney's under your belt first.

when you are READY, spar with some decent students.

SPAR ALOT, for MONTHS....then ask your teacher if he thinks you are ready to get in a cage.

take your time...you are only 15...no rush.

don't get your body and ego damaged.

People train for years to be legit MMA fighters brother. If your serious, just TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN. Somebody will tell you if your ready or not. Jumping in the cage with guys who have been doing this for far longer is kinda crazy. Devote yourself to training, then when your ready, ask for a fight. There is no sense in rushing it. You'll do far better with more time under your belt

hello everyone' date='

id like your opinion on something.

im an obssessed MMA fan ive been watch all the MMA i can for the past 12 months and visualy studied the moves used ( BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Striking).

ive been only doing BJJ and MMA for abit over a month now and im enjoying it greatly and after BJJ which goes for an hour i do an hour and a half session off MMA training. and by the time next year that i wanna fight i should be 2 stripes on my white belt ( cant get blue until im 18)

ive been doing this for a month.

this is what im thinking, i want to have my first MMA fight because im really keen to do this in the future and i want as much experience as possible and i think having my first fight would be a great learning exsperience.

im planning on starting up early next year ( maybe jan, feb or march) so i can get some solid couple of monthes of training ( also at home i have a punching bag which i train with alot)

im motivated im 15 turning 16 in may im 5'10 and 136 pounds so im pretty skinny but ive got good strength and athletic ability for my weight and height.

so should i try and fight so soon with very little to no experience?

oh by the way i live in australia where there is NO wrestling at all and MMA isnt that popular sport.[/quote']

I would not be so eager to fight just yet. You are young and you need to train more aspects of MMA. Just think, get you a couple years training in and work hard so when you do have you first fight you will look like a pro out there.

I would not be so eager to fight just yet. You are young and you need to train more aspects of MMA. Just think' date=' get you a couple years training in and work hard so when you do have you first fight you will look like a pro out there.[/quote']

and in todays time in mma, wrestling could be argubaly the most dominant form of mma. so i agree with jits and fast when they say be patient. there is no rush. perfect the art so that ur not getting your head bashed in for experience. be the head basher!

Yeah man, listen to these guys cause its the truth.. you got three years before your even an adult and by then youll be way better off.. Youve only been training for a month... Thats basically nothing.. theres so much to learn youve barely even scratched the surface of how much there is to perfect.. Just train your life away if your serious about this, and if you notice you begin to get lazy and start missing classes or looking for exuses, then dont even bother getting in the cage.. cause the guys youll be fighting arent some pushovers.. they are guys with families and probably no money.. and there willing to give it there all in that cage to be succesfull and have been training day in and day out for many years to do so..

my advice, like what everyone else has been saying.. is Attend as many grappling tournys as possible.. feel what its like to be in competition.. and maybe try to even attend an MMA event.. see what its like live.. UFC 110 is coming to your area.. so go over there.. trust me seeing it live is a whole different story.. You realize just how crazy these guys are, the cage is no joke.

after maybe 2 years of training and after sparring many many times, if you feel confident then go for it.. and the best of luck to ya.. (start off at an amateur level)

Archived