New scoring system idea

fightfan1406052009

Tired of seeing great fighters have boring fights? Try this on for size: after each round, the judges' scores are posted so both fighters (and fans) can see them. Unless the fights are all "fight until KO/submission", you can never take the human element out of it. But if the fighters know the score, they will have to fight accordingly. This all but guarantees action. If a guy knows that he's lost the first two rounds of a three round fight, then he'll have to get a stoppage in the third. If he chooses not to fight for the win, the fans will be able to voice their disapproval. History shows UFC fans aren't exactly shy about expressing opinions!

The judges have already scored the round - why not let everyone know the score? There could be something obvious that I'm missing here, but I think this is a sure-fire way to get more action in the fights. What do you think? I'm all for ideas. If you like it, tell a friend. Tell Dana. Let's make it happen. (and if it does, see if Dana can score some sweet ringside seats for FightFan).

Or they could score fights like how they did in pride. They gave more emphasis to the fighter who tried to finish the fight via KO or submission then the fighter who was merely ontop. That would end lay and pray.

This is the rules that should be applied. The Yellow card rule should be in effect in UFC, keeps fighters for not pressing the action(hint Machida running away). Fighters that dont wanna fight get penalized 10% to 15% of their purse. This keeps the Kalib Starnes typr of fighters out of UFC..........

Tired of seeing great fighters have boring fights? Try this on for size: after each round' date=' the judges' scores are posted so both fighters (and fans) can see them. Unless the fights are all "fight until KO/submission", you can never take the human element out of it. But if the fighters know the score, they will have to fight accordingly. This all but guarantees action. If a guy knows that he's lost the first two rounds of a three round fight, then he'll have to get a stoppage in the third. If he chooses not to fight for the win, the fans will be able to voice their disapproval. History shows UFC fans aren't exactly shy about expressing opinions!

The judges have already scored the round - why not let everyone know the score? There could be something obvious that I'm missing here, but I think this is a sure-fire way to get more action in the fights. What do you think? I'm all for ideas. If you like it, tell a friend. Tell Dana. Let's make it happen. (and if it does, see if Dana can score some sweet ringside seats for FightFan).[/quote']

Not quite thought out well enough, but change is definetly needed. I just don't know if this is the right area to do it in (a forum). I like the idea of 20 point must scoring system, but what about 5 judges??? More eyes = more objectivity. I think the first action is education - these judges and refs need proper training in MMA. That is, have a scoring system that takes into account MMA striking methods and strategies. MMA consists of many forms of martial arts, and therefore many striking practices. These different methodologies nead to be addressed to better judge a match. I just hope when they finally do it, they do it right. Maybe that's why it's taking time???

Not quite thought out well enough' date=' but change is definetly needed. I just don't know if this is the right area to do it in (a forum). I like the idea of 20 point must scoring system, but what about 5 judges??? More eyes = more objectivity. I think the first action is education - these judges and refs need proper training in MMA. That is, have a scoring system that takes into account MMA striking methods and strategies. MMA consists of many forms of martial arts, and therefore many striking practices. These different methodologies nead to be addressed to better judge a match. I just hope when they finally do it, they do it right. Maybe that's why it's taking time???[/quote']

I'd much rather see 5 judges then a 20 pt system.

I think we need to get 5 judges, all of different martial arts backgrounds. (Jits, kickboxing, wrestling, etc) who all had experience in MMA. That way they could all watch their respective arts and relate it to the overall fight.

For Example:

A Muy Thai black belt or whatever watching the Machida Shogun fight would have given a lot more credit to the leg kicks than a judge with more experience boxing. Conversely, a black belt in Karate would have given more credit to the effective use of Karate on Machida's end.

Just a thought.

5 judges would be a good option, but that still doesn't fix the way the fight is scored. You would have thought that at least one judge would have scored the fight for Shogun, but evidently more eyes don't always equal more brains. I think that MMA needs designated judges that understand the sport and a whole new judging criteria needs to be layed out.

Does anyone remember when Bas Rutten beat Kevin Randleman? Randleman was trying to pull a Brock and lay on Bas the whole time, but Bas made more attempts to finish the fight and the judges gave him the decision. Randleman and his corner acted like they had been completely robbed, but the decision was the right one. Attempts to finish the fight should be heavily weighed in scoring, and damage inflicted should be too.

Archived