Crocop vs Ben Rothwell UFC 110

richhill78

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Mirko-Cro-Cop-Filipovic-vs-Ben-Rothwell-probable-for-UFC-110.html

An intriguing heavyweight contest between Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Ben Rothwell is in the works for UFC 110 in February, according to a report from Sherdog.com.

Both fighters will be looking to rebound from disappointing stoppage losses in their last fights.

Filipovic (25-7-2) is coming off a loss against Junior dos Santos at UFC 103 in September. He hinted strongly at retiring from MMA following the loss to dos Santos, however, later backed off of those statements saying that he would honor the last 2 fights on his UFC contract. Prior to the loss, he was on a four fight unbeaten streak, which included a win in his return to the UFC against Mostapha Al-Turk. Filipovic has put together a sub-par 2-3 record in five fights with the UFC, suffering notable Octagon losses against Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo.

"Cro Cop" is a longtime veteran of the now-defunct Pride organization, fighting 24 of his 35 career bouts with the Japanese promotion. The K-1 veteran has finished 22 of his 25 career wins including 19 by TKO or KO. He holds notable wins during his eight year career over the likes of Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Coleman, Josh Barnett and Wanderlei Silva.

Rothwell (30-7) most recently suffered a controversial second round TKO loss in his UFC debut against Cain Velasquez at UFC 104 on Oct. 24. The fight was stopped after Rothwell was taking several unanswered blows from Velasquez against the cage, however, many felt it was stopped prematurly as Rothwell was still coherent and seemed to be tranisitioning to get back to his feet.

Rothwell voiced his frustration with the stoppage.

"I was climbing back to my feet and unless he drops me or my eyes roll back in my head, the fight shouldn't be stopped in that situation," said Rothwell.

Prior to joining the UFC, Rothwell put together a impressive 14-1 streak, which saw him go 9-0 in the now-defunct IFL promotion. The eight year veteran of the sport has competed for other notable promotions such as Extreme Challenge, King of the Cage, Adrenaline MMA and Affliction. He has scored stoppage wins in 28 of his 30 career victories and holds notable career wins over the likes of Travis Fulton, Roy Nelson, Krzysztof Soszynski and Ricco Rodriguez.

Though not officially announced, UFC 110 is tentatively set to take place on Feb. 21 at the Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. The event is rumored to be headlined by a middleweight bout between Yoshihiro Akiyama and Wanderlei Silva.

I'm getting pretty sick of the term "controversial" being used to describe half of every loss due to referee stoppage. Rothwell was getting his **** completely handed to him. This fight has no meaning at all. CroCop looked so horrible against Dos Santos that I couldn't stand to watch it, and Rothwell is a fat turd that will be a gatekeeper at best. CroCop should just hang it up while his fans still love him and remember him as a monster.

i was under the impression that cro cop is done. guess not. this is like a lose lose for each fighter. if cro cop actually wins, who cares, only the hardcore know rothwell other than his getting owned by velasquez. if rothwell wins, who cares cro cop isn't the same and hasn't been for a long time.

after a slow start in the UFC, rua came up to speed & I'm hoping mirko will too,

few mma fighters have generated the excitement that crocop has . Five years ago I remember debating crocop events & there was just as much insanity as fedor/rogers or machida/rua . .. long live crocop !

as for mr. rothwell, it is my opinion that mazzagatti rescued him . crocop tko-punches 1st round & its shrimp on the barbie baby !

I am a big Crocop fan but I think he should retire. He just doesnt have the fire anymore. If he wins over Ben it really does nothing for him but if he loses he will effectively destroy his record. Few years ago this fight wouldnt be even close but now I dont know.

It be nice to see Crocop retire with one lest head kick though

Depends if Crocop is willing to use his legs... Maybe it's age or maybe it's nerves, he said he's training for punching these days, and everyone knows Crocop's strength is in his legs... He can't get motivated and is performing 30% of his old self.

Ben has a solid chin, but it seems he has a lack of cardio and ground skills, which ofc shouldn't matter with crocop... could be a good punch bag for Crocop, but he could probably lay n pray a win or even knock crocop out if he gets lucky.

Crocop should beat Rothwell, but imo the outcome depends on which crocop shows up on fight night.

CroCop says "there is no desire for me to fight anymore.. when i am in the cage i start thinking about going fishing... you cant win a fight like that"

and now he wants to fight again?

actually he also said that he found not motivation .. So maybe he found the motivation he needed it ...

Plus i dont really count what fighters say right after a fight , especially in they are on a losing streak ..

actually he also said that he found not motivation .. So maybe he found the motivation he needed it ...

Plus i dont really count what fighters say right after a fight ' date=' especially in they are on a losing streak ..[/quote']

I believe he is under written contract, so theres the motivation ..

complete the contract or hire a good lawyer ..

I believe he is under written contract' date=' so theres the motivation ..

complete the contract or hire a good lawyer ..[/quote']

LOL

even better , go back to croatia and never come back to the USA...

Rothwell is an easier fight for cropcop , comparing it to the fighters he has face in the ufc ..

LOL

even better ' date=' go back to croatia and never come back to the USA...

Rothwell is an easier fight for cropcop , comparing it to the fighters he has face in the ufc ..[/quote']

from a business perspective, dana would want crocop to be successful (the legendary name & the headkicks) = $$$ .. and I agree rothwell is the "perfect" opponent, any less of an opponent would not look good & any more of an opponent could be trouble .

If I was Dana I'd be telling Cro Cop that he fights a LHW or he doesn't fight for the UFC. Cro Cop has no business fighting at HW in the UFC. Sure in pride lots of guys at HW were small. Fedor was a good size HW in Pride and he's only 230ish. I still think cro cop at 205 would be crazy awesome but at HW NO.

if crocop is only 220lbs how come he doesnt just cut 15lbs and destroy everyone at lhw

What makes you think that he'd own the 205 division? Do you really think that he could stand and trade with the likes of Rashad or Shogun? Get out of here. He didn't even look like he wanted to bang with Dos Santos, he just kept pushing him away and eating punches.

Archived