Sign in to follow this  
Fast

Did I tell you?

i ask because none of the aikido i've seen has any sort of punch kick combinations. its very against its fundamental principles of capturing and attackers energy and blending it with your own. alot of the movements and hand placements stem from swordplay' date=' which is also why you see few strikes. there are some hand strikes used to render an attacker off balance, but i've yet to see any kicks. even the hand strikes are more to distract. once again, i've not seen every branch or style so perhaps you are taking a newer hybrid style.[/quote']

It is all new to me, I have been 2 times and we did front kicks , not like a push kick, just a fast front kick then left then right then front kick with other foot and continue across the mat. I do recall him teaching the way of the sword with the throwing movements.

No' date=' but I'm sure they get a pretty good workout amongst the sports I play.

Pretend you're squatting 70 lbs, 800 times. What muscles aren't you working here? That's just the lift of the bundle too.

Just as when you roll around on the mat, you aren't working the muscles I do in my job. Same logic, not understanding your point.[/quote']

Believe it or not, its not really so much the muscles you get from lifting/squating etc. But its very tiring to be pitted in a grappling showdown, and this is where technique/endurance comes into a huge advantage, knowing when to use the other persons force against them etc. Unless you have trained in BJJ and know a little defence, its a pretty wicked art form, subs coming out unexpectedly, it sucks. Armbars stinking hurt, having your joints twisted in funky positions is enough to make Brock Lesnar cry. chokes and such, I have a love hate when it comes time to practice JJ in class. I love learning it but I hate when I am the one getting practiced on.

But I have no doubt if you started training, you would have a nice strenght advantage. I have no idea how legit Fast's training is.

No' date=' but I'm sure they get a pretty good workout amongst the sports I play.

Pretend you're squatting 70 lbs, 800 times. What muscles aren't you working here? That's just the lift of the bundle too.

Just as when you roll around on the mat, you aren't working the muscles I do in my job. Same logic, not understanding your point.[/quote']

Try to follow me here......you are better at lifting shingles, we are better at...fighting

The point is you can only gain grappling endurance and grappling strength from grappling. it is simple just ask anyone who trains.

Note: The shingles to not oppose a threat to you

I agreed with this point. I'm not denying experience in something equips you with certain abilities. This does not mean you will, nor get a chance to, employ them in a fight either. Sounds like you believe all fights follow a script or formula. You forget most fights stay on the feet?

Who said shingles were a threat retard? I said I lift them constantly all day. I guarantee I've been in more street fights that you - you're apparently an ordained minister. I've yet to see a minister fight before. Please.

Depending on how many amateur MMA fights you've had, I'd wager I've fought extensively more than you have.

Try to follow me here......you are better at lifting shingles' date=' we are better at...fighting[/color']

Adam, how many fights have you won outside a ring or cage?

I agreed with this point. I'm not denying experience in something equips you with certain abilities. This does not mean you will' date=' nor get a chance to, employ them in a fight either. Sounds like you believe all fights follow a script or formula. You forget most fights stay on the feet?

Who said shingles were a threat retard? I said I lift them constantly all day. I guarantee I've been in more street fights that you - you're apparently an ordained minister. I've yet to see a minister fight before. Please.

Depending on how many amateur MMA fights you've had, I'd wager I've fought extensively more than you have.[/quote']

Thats funny what you said...my taekwondo instructor was a minister in a small church and he taught us for free. I made it to yellow belt before the church was closed down for freeway construction

I agreed with this point. I'm not denying experience in something equips you with certain abilities. This does not mean you will' date=' nor get a chance to, employ them in a fight either. Sounds like you believe all fights follow a script or formula. You forget most fights stay on the feet?

Depending on how many amateur MMA fights you've had, I'd wager I've fought extensively more than you have.[/quote']

but who have you fought ? schlubs off the street? lmao

It is all new to me' date=' I have been 2 times and we did front kicks , not like a push kick, just a fast front kick then left then right then front kick with other foot and continue across the mat. I do recall him teaching the way of the sword with the throwing movements.[/quote']

for me, the first long while (and opening of every class) was learning breakfalls, pivots, and shuffles. those were the drills we had beat into us.

we had a weapons class as well we could take with wooden weapons, those were great.

I would like to Try to settle this.

Fast, I am sure you are a well trained fighter, with past street fighting experience. I am sure you can bring it if need be.

Exodus, I am sure you are tough as nails, have fighting experience and not afraid to throw down, and hey its a fight, anything can happen, even against someone who has training.

You guys are both skilled and would knock each other out at the same time!!!!!!

can we please kiss and make up, and move on? peace

how about aikido vs wing chun.....you would have a huge weight advantage but I'm game

well, we may be standing there for quite some time waiting for the other to attack

LOL okay. I have fought tough man contests, over 20 street fights and 12 Ammy fights. I use to be a wild man. That doesnt matter the simple fact remains: You are better at lifting shingles than you are at fighting.icon10.gif

Exodus' date=' no disrespect...but you seem to be the guy who would only escalate the situation rather than diffuse it.[/quote']

Sometimes. I have a temper for sure.

Depends on the situation. But I'm always pretty game for a legit fair fight, so I don't do my best to de-escalate potential situations. I know, I should be the better man without violence, but I do appreciate the art of fighting as I do, chess. Skewed? Maybe....

LOL okay. I have fought tough man contests' date=' over 20 street fights and 12 Ammy fights. I use to be a wild man. That doesnt matter the simple fact remains: You are better at lifting shingles than you are at fighting.[img']http://forums.ufc.production.sparkart.net/images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]

Well if your resume isn't padded, you've got me beat in experience.

for me' date=' the first long while (and opening of every class) was learning breakfalls, pivots, and shuffles. those were the drills we had beat into us.

we had a weapons class as well we could take with wooden weapons, those were great.[/quote']

Yes, we do breakfalls extensively, not familiar with pivots or shuffles yet.

I would like to Try to settle this.

Fast' date=' I am sure you are a well trained fighter, with past street fighting experience. I am sure you can bring it if need be.

Exodus, I am sure you are tough as nails, have fighting experience and not afraid to throw down, and hey its a fight, anything can happen, even against someone who has training.

You guys are both skilled and would knock each other out at the same time!!!!!!

can we please kiss and make up, and move on? peace[/quote']

I am in for that.icon10.gif

well' date=' we may be standing there for quite some time waiting for the other to attack[/quote']

I'm not too familiar with aikido...so youre telling me, aikido waits and counter too...thats right.

Steven Segal mastered aikido

I'm not too familiar with aikido...so youre telling me' date=' aikido waits and counter too...thats right.

Steven Segal mastered aikido[/quote']

Doesn't akido do alot with reversing force? moving one way, then the opposite, and dependent alot on grappling? Don't know much about Akido

I am trained to grab skin and tear it off...that is one of the trademarks of wing chun

I am trained to ko you before that happens.icon10.gif

One rule: U must cut your finger nails and toe nails before hand.

Doesn't akido do alot with reversing force? moving one way' date=' then the opposite, and dependent alot on grappling? Don't know much about Akido[/quote']

It's very spiritual and energy based at it's core. Russian Systema is likely a direct relative of Aikido for sure. Flowing motions focussing on enemy movement and using his energy against him.

Doesn't akido do alot with reversing force? moving one way' date=' then the opposite, and dependent alot on grappling? Don't know much about Akido[/quote']

In essence, its like a grappling Thai chi kind of thing...Thai chi uses your opponents momentum to do the work for you.

I'm not too familiar with aikido...so youre telling me' date=' aikido waits and counter too...thats right.

Steven Segal mastered aikido[/quote']

i would think most self defense disciplines do not attack ;)

but yes.

I'm my way of thinking, if I've truly mastered aikido (or any other similar art) I am not looking 1) to fight 2) to fight for very long. I would take the attack, if i was capable of doing so, and counter to end it then and there. My ability to end an attack depends upon an attack being thrown at me to begin with. So attaking first is your mistake. Unless it's a bait.

I am trained to ko you before that happens.icon10.gif

One rule: U must cut your finger nails and toe nails before hand.

Wing chun is not for display. I told you before, its sole purpose is to kill your opponent. There are no wing chun tournements for many reasons. One, no one would attack and two, the skills learned shouldnt be use in tournements.

One of the things people knock Aikido for, is that it is an art intended not to injure your enemy. The focus of it is to subdue without injury. Some might look at this as righteous. I think you're kidding yourself if you're worrying about not injuring a man trying to kill you.

I love the principles of it, but make no mistake - if I'm using it, it's gonna be followed up with intent to injure - in a street fight of course, not sport.

Your entire belief system is a giant lie though' date=' so it makes me wonder.[/quote']

I believe what I believe because I experience it. Little background for you

I was kicked out of my home at the age of 15 by Christian parent's. I had to fend for myself at an early age. I hated GOD or the mention of him. I got into every drug known to man by the time I was 17. I had a cold heart and liked to fight, that is how I use to rid myself of frustration. I was mean to people and hurt those who loved me, do I need to go into detail? Long story short it was not a preacher or anyone else who led me to who God really was, it was him thorugh my struggles he lifted me up.

I was on the verge of death because I had taken and done so many drugs, I was told that I should be dead because of it.. I went to a room and set by myself at the end of my rope adn it was then and there the God I never knew, the one I never acknowledged, spoke to my heart as clear as how you and I are talking adn he said "I can hlep you" Right then and thre I was broken and I gave in because I knew it was real, i didnt listen to preaachers or anyone else, I hated all who called themselves Christians.

I bega to trust him as he led me and 4 days later I returned and I just knew the doctors would think I had done flipped out, but I said can you test me again my liver and my blood?? They did and to their utter shock they said there is nothing in your system it has all disappered and your enzymes are perfect now.

See I did not fall for something that was not true or a far fetched story, I experienced him on that day adn I have not been the same since.

Wing chun is not for display. I told you before' date=' its sole purpose is to kill your opponent. There are no wing chun tournements for many reasons. One, no one would attack and two, the skills learned shouldnt be use in tournements.[/quote']

That is cool, dont kill me!icon10.gif

I was kicked out of my home at the age of 15 by Christian parent's. I had to fend for myself at an early age. I hated GOD or the mention of him. I got into every drug known to man by the time I was 17. I had a cold heart and liked to fight' date=' that is how I use to rid myself of frustration. I was mean to people and hurt those who loved me, do I need to go into detail? Long story short it was not a preacher or anyone else who led me to who God really was, it was him thorugh my struggles he lifted me up.

I was on the verge of death because I had taken and done so many drugs, I was told that I should be dead because of it.. I went to a room and set by myself at the end of my rope adn it was then and there the God I never knew, the one I never acknowledged, spoke to my heart as clear as how you and I are talking adn he said "I can hlep you" Right then and thre I was broken and I gave in because I knew it was real, i didnt listen to preaachers or anyone else, I hated all who called themselves Christians.

I bega to trust him as he led me and 4 days later I returned and I just knew the doctors would think I had done flipped out, but I said can you test me again my liver and my blood?? They did and to their utter shock they said there is nothing in your system it has all disappered and your enzymes are perfect now.

See I did not fall for something that was not true or a far fetched story, I experienced him on that day adn I have not been the same since.[/quote']

Fair enough. See, these kinds of experiences show there may in fact be a creator, or God - but in my opinion, this creator is nothing like the one described in the bible. I don't trash faith, I trash the Bible primarily, and organized religion second. Personal faith is one thing - rambling on about the Bible being true is an entirely different thing.

Aikido, in a purely technical sense, stems from Jujitsu and sword arts such as Samurai.

Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba, became a religious man which is when he brought spiritual ideals to coincide with the arts he learned growing up and created his own art, Aikido. You will see many Judo throws. The basic stance is that of Samurai holding a sword. There are many joint locks as well.

Fair enough. See' date=' these kinds of experiences show there may in fact be a creator, or God - but in my opinion, this creator is nothing like the one described in the bible. I don't trash faith, I trash the Bible primarily, and organized religion second. Personal faith is one thing - rambling on about the Bible being true is an entirely different thing.[/quote']

I don't like organized religion I have seen it do a lot of harm but I have also seen it do a lot of good. I beleive in the God of the Bible, once you get to know the nature of the creator it changes things, at least it did for me.

Aikido' date=' in a purely technical sense, stems from Jujitsu and sword arts such as Samurai.

Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba, became a religious man which is when he brought spiritual ideals to coincide with the arts he learned growing up and created his own art, Aikido. You will see many Judo throws. The basic stance is that of Samurai holding a sword. There are many joint locks as well.[/quote']

Yeah the stance is badass.

Most martial arts are based heavily on religious belief, or at least encompass a spirituality.

I was kicked out of my home at the age of 15 by Christian parent's. I had to fend for myself at an early age. I hated GOD or the mention of him. I got into every drug known to man by the time I was 17. I had a cold heart and liked to fight' date=' that is how I use to rid myself of frustration. I was mean to people and hurt those who loved me, do I need to go into detail? Long story short it was not a preacher or anyone else who led me to who God really was, it was him thorugh my struggles he lifted me up.

See I did not fall for something that was not true or a far fetched story, I experienced him on that day adn I have not been the same since.[/quote']

I was touched, theres something in my eye, I'll be right back.

This better not be a made up story...to come out and say this...you better not...youre messing with folks like me, who are on the verge of believing but have not given himself to GOD. I have learned that people who believe in a religion are the most happiest and that is my search and goal.

Aikido' date=' in a purely technical sense, stems from Jujitsu and sword arts such as Samurai.

Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba, became a religious man which is when he brought spiritual ideals to coincide with the arts he learned growing up and created his own art, Aikido. You will see many Judo throws. The basic stance is that of Samurai holding a sword. There are many joint locks as well.[/quote']

Combat Jujitsu right? We worked some joint locks that were very similiar to catch wrestling. The throws are not hard for me with my Judo and wrestling experience, but the fluent movements i am working on. I need to relax more instead of being stiff. The stance is different as well, I am use to changing levels with kicks, strikes, and shots. I am eager to learn this though.

Wing chun is not for display. I told you before' date=' its sole purpose is to kill your opponent. There are no wing chun tournements for many reasons. One, no one would attack and two, the skills learned shouldnt be use in tournements.[/quote']

exactly

One of the things people knock Aikido for' date=' is that it is an art intended not to injure your enemy. The focus of it is to subdue without injury. Some might look at this as righteous. I think you're kidding yourself if you're worrying about not injuring a man trying to kill you.

I love the principles of it, but make no mistake - if I'm using it, it's gonna be followed up with intent to injure - in a street fight of course, not sport.[/quote']

well, the spritual principles are what stops the practiconer from harming someone, not the techniques themselves. example, just because i dont break your arm during an armbar doesn't mean i cant. see what i'm saying

I don't like organized religion I have seen it do a lot of harm but I have also seen it do a lot of good. I beleive in the God of the Bible' date=' once you get to know the nature of the creator it changes things, at least it did for me.[/quote']

One thing you don't know about me, is that as I continuously study nature and science, the more I begin to believe that it was in fact created, or set in motion by something. I don't believe it was anything near what the Bible says though. And it's creation of life (as we know it) was not meant for any purpose of worship or heaven/hell. I believe it bigger than such limited human words for "emotional spectrum".

exactly

well' date=' the spritual principles are what stops the practiconer from harming someone, not the techniques themselves. example, just because i dont break your arm during an armbar doesn't mean i cant. see what i'm saying[/quote']

Absolutely. So I'm down with the techniques then, not the spiritual principles. lol

I was touched' date=' theres something in my eye, I'll be right back.

This better not be a made up story...to come out and say this...you better not...youre messing with folks like me, who are on the verge of believing but have not given himself to GOD. I have learned that people who believe in a religion are the most happiest and that is much search and goal.[/quote']

This is a true story or God strike me dead. i kept it pretty simple as well. I was doen as low as someone can go but because of his grace and mercy I am where I am at today, I firmly believe this.I use to look for God in people adn that is why I didnt see him, it was when I was not looking for him at all, he found me.

YOu know what I use to be a miserable person adn a bitter person, but my whole outlook is different today becaue of that one moment in time when everyone else had given up on me, he did not. I am grateful for that, I am grateful that I can use my past circun=mstance to help young people. I have been there and I know without a doubt there is a way out.

Also, I see potential things today that try to take my happiness away, what i do is recall where I use to be and I have a reminder that I do not desire to be that person. Lifeis not perfect even for the believer, I stumble and I fall, depression comes, stress tries to weigh down, the only difference is now I know he is real and if he brought me out of that situation I talked about, he shall do it again.

exactly

well' date=' the spritual principles are what stops the practiconer from harming someone, not the techniques themselves. example, just because i dont break your arm during an armbar doesn't mean i cant. see what i'm saying[/quote']

If one truly has studied an art and abide by the philosophy, you probably would never get into a fight. All philosophies of martial arts teach to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it. Run if you have to, to avoid a fight....thats what i was taught.

If one truly has studied an art and abide by the philosophy' date=' you probably would never get into a fight. All philosophies of martial arts teach to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it. Run if you have to, to avoid a fight....thats what i was taught.[/quote']

I agree, we must put the pride that rises up in us to death. Where there is pride let it cease and replace it with compassion.

Combat Jujitsu right? We worked some joint locks that were very similiar to catch wrestling. The throws are not hard for me with my Judo and wrestling experience' date=' but the fluent movements i am working on. I need to relax more instead of being stiff. The stance is different as well, I am use to changing levels with kicks, strikes, and shots. I am eager to learn this though.[/quote']

it is very circular. which is why i'm SHOCKED that you havent learned any pivots. funny that exodus called the stance badass cuz i always felt like a chump in it. but it is precisley as if you were holding a sword. when an attack comes in, you can almost imgine yourself slicing into it, holding on, getting the attacker off balance because he committed to a movement, applying a lock, pivoting and controlling him into a pin

If one truly has studied an art and abide by the philosophy' date=' you probably would never get into a fight. All philosophies of martial arts teach to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it. Run if you have to, to avoid a fight....thats what i was taught.[/quote']

i again agree wholeheartedly

it is very circular. which is why i'm SHOCKED that you havent learned any pivots. funny that exodus called the stance badass cuz i always felt like a chump in it. but it is precisley as if you were holding a sword. when an attack comes in' date=' you can almost imgine yourself slicing into it, holding on, getting the attacker off balance because he committed to a movement, applying a lock, pivoting and controlling him into a pin[/quote']

I have only been to 2 practices, so this could be why. We have done what you described, i was jsut not familiar wiht the word pivoting. Remember I am new at this as of now. But yes the movements are that of a sword. post a picture of the stance

I was touched' date=' theres something in my eye, I'll be right back.

This better not be a made up story...to come out and say this...you better not...youre messing with folks like me, who are on the verge of believing but have not given himself to GOD. I have learned that people who believe in a religion are the most happiest and that is my search and goal.[/quote']

Listen man, think about the endgame...life is so short, give youself to God

It gives you peace and joy, you will have a spiritual relationship with God and you will know He exists to the same extent that you know your own self exists

Just open up your heart, i think some people say they dont believe in God because they have created barriers between themselves and Him

If you shut your heart to Him like Exodus has done, he will not come into your heart unless you open the door